Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

The faster phosphors are advertised as an advantage but it seems like they cause more problems to me.

I am seriously considering the 65inch S series Plasma over the VT now.

I just wish someone would write a detailed review of the S or a comparison of the S to the VT.

Off topic a bit, do the new Panasonic TVs have numbers in the settings menus now or are they still just plain bars?

If you mean numbers as well as the bar for settings, the V20A series does.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of getting one of these Panasonics.

My last TV was an LCD which replaced an old Panasonic plasma and one major advantage I noticed in the LCD was a much lower screen reflection.

Any light in the room was reflected on the plasma but the LCD was much better and didn't have that problem.

Is that improved with the latest generation of Panasonic plasmas?

The room it's going in has quite a lot of light.

Also, one of the main reasons I'm interested in this Panasonic is it's DLNA/Networking connectivity.

Any feedback on it's performance in that area?

I notice JB has these on special for $1,999 at the moment!

My last TV was an LCD which replaced an old Panasonic plasma and one major advantage I noticed in the LCD was a much lower screen reflection.

Any light in the room was reflected on the plasma but the LCD was much better and didn't have that problem.

Is that improved with the latest generation of Panasonic plasmas?

The room it's going in has quite a lot of light.

I notice JB has these on special for $1,999 at the moment!

They are tonnes better than any other plasma with screen reflection IMO. Go any have a look at them at JB and you'll notice that the bright overhead lights barely make a difference in the picture quality of the v20a's but the other plasma's will have heaps of glare.

They are tonnes better than any other plasma with screen reflection IMO. Go any have a look at them at JB and you'll notice that the bright overhead lights barely make a difference in the picture quality of the v20a's but the other plasma's will have heaps of glare.

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

Anybody else have an opinion on this?

What about the DLNA/Internet connectivity? Any reports please?

Its funny how LCD's used to have anti reflective screens while Plasma's where highly reflective glass. Now virtually all high end LCD's have mirror like screens with no anti reflective qualities and Plasma are in general anti reflective.

Personally I prefer high gloss screens for image quality.

Having trouble connecting a WD TV to the Plasma, works fine with an old HDMI 1.1 lead but just won't play ball using new 1.4 leads. Can anyone suggest what's going on as its got me stumped. The new leads work fine with my Sony BD player and between a PC and an LCD computer screen. Could this be an issue with the WD TV firmware?

Has anyone tried a generic USB wireless dongle on there V20A, as I don't relish the thought of spending $99 on the Panasonic dongle?

I would imagine Panasonic would be so customer friendly focussed that they would allow any third party USB dongle to work on their screens...;)

I'm sure in a few years we'll have a standard for that too, until then they will probably force us to buy their particular accessories.

Has anyone tried a generic USB wireless dongle on there V20A, as I don't relish the thought of spending $99 on the Panasonic dongle?

I tried Topfield and Belkin USB dongles (because I had them) - neither worked. I think that I read in this forum that only the Panasonic dongle would work - might have even been earlier in this thread. Was cheaper to lay cable so I did.

What about the DLNA/Internet connectivity? Any reports please?

Tried using TVersity - connectivity worked fine and the TV could see the files on my PC. I tested an mpeg and it played but I haven't yet got around to doing a thorough test of all the other media file types that I have.

I would imagine Panasonic would be so customer friendly focussed that they would allow any third party USB dongle to work on their screens...;)

I'm sure in a few years we'll have a standard for that too, until then they will probably force us to buy their particular accessories.

According to Netgear their WNCE2001 universal adaptor will work however this adaptor does not come much cheaper than the original.

I got one at JB in Nunawading Melbourne for $1,680 yesterday.

It's a heck of a deal!

I was a bit concerned about screen reflection before I saw it but it does seem to be better than a lot of the LCD's they have there.

Did you get the bonus blu ray home theatre from the stores stock?

Not sure if jb are offering this but good guys are.

Just bought and installed this lovely TV.

It replaced a 42 Hitachi.

Fabulous upgrade took the opportunity to rationalise all the wiring to AV, Hdd recorder, and Bluray, mainly HDMI.

All much tidier and I believe it has improved sound particularly to the Hdd recorder, because playback is significantly improved.

I'm amazed at some of the prices related above - some at $1k less than OPanasonics recommended price.

I was able to get that down to $2k by showing Harvery's the JB HI Fi brochure.

But the main thing is I love the TV.

My girlfriend's sister bought one of these 2 days ago. It worked the first day but yesterday it would not turn on from standby. It has a red blinking light in the right edge of the bezel when you press the on button on the tv remote. I think it's dead. Any advice?

Edited by xclusive_gamer

My girlfriend's sister bought one of these 2 days ago. It worked the first day but yesterday it would not turn on from standby. It has a red blinking light in the right edge of the bezel when you press the on button on the tv remote. I think it's dead. Any advice?

Get it swapped over at the retailer

• 2 months later...