Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

I'm not bothered about the drop - still happy with the deal I got and more importantly very happy with the panel.

I stayed under $3K by a couple of hundred. I got the extended warranty almost halved in price to just over $200.

I didn't think to ask for a free power surge board as I have all the ones I need (same for HDMI cables - I get mine from EZYHD).

I was happy enough with the BT230 BD HT system and the Xbox 360 Elite.

===================

Thanks Kiwi... just ordered some HDMI at Ezyhd...

How are the quality of the product? No problems at all?

Also how long is the delivery?

Tnx Mate...

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Quality and quick postage

==================

Thanks Zoidy... =) I paid it through credit card with DHL tracking. When can I track it down? Is the information going to be in the email I provided? Thanks =)

just excited to get it already.

Well mine's up and running, pretty happy so far!

Free to air TV looks better than i thought it would.

The normal picture modes are a bit dull for my liking, dynamic looks extreme but yeah 100 contrast not good presumably. Backed it off to about 75 contrast with all the other settings the same and i'ts looking pretty good. Obviously will tweak more at some stage when i learn more about it but for now it looks good.

Two things i've noticed tho, pretty noticeable buzz/electrical noise coming from the rear of it.. i didn't notice it until i poked my head behind to plug in some more inputs, but you can notice it if it's muted and your standing in front of it. Not really an issue since it ain't gonna be watched on mute or standing that close but i'm just wondering if everyone's does it or just mine ??

Also notice some slight flicker, thought it was probably the TV broadcast refresh rate but it is noticeable on the EPG menu aswell... if you look closely there's a fair bit of grainy noise too.

Again not really an issue once your in the normal seating position and watching content... (although the EPG flicker is still noticeable) - just wondering if this is normal (never had a plasma before), or just mine..

No buzz from mine - but mine is wall mounted. So any buzz may be muted.

My power circuit for my HT room is filtered and I have not had any electrical issues in more than 3 years.

I don't have the tuner configured (I use my panel as a display only) so I can't comment on the epg or DTV flicker.

Well mine's up and running, pretty happy so far!

Free to air TV looks better than i thought it would.

The normal picture modes are a bit dull for my liking, dynamic looks extreme but yeah 100 contrast not good presumably. Backed it off to about 75 contrast with all the other settings the same and i'ts looking pretty good. Obviously will tweak more at some stage when i learn more about it but for now it looks good.

Two things i've noticed tho, pretty noticeable buzz/electrical noise coming from the rear of it.. i didn't notice it until i poked my head behind to plug in some more inputs, but you can notice it if it's muted and your standing in front of it. Not really an issue since it ain't gonna be watched on mute or standing that close but i'm just wondering if everyone's does it or just mine ??

Also notice some slight flicker, thought it was probably the TV broadcast refresh rate but it is noticeable on the EPG menu aswell... if you look closely there's a fair bit of grainy noise too.

Again not really an issue once your in the normal seating position and watching content... (although the EPG flicker is still noticeable) - just wondering if this is normal (never had a plasma before), or just mine..

=======================

Glad to know that its nicely set up...

Will have to check on the buzzing on mute mode tonight.

As for the flicker that is the CATS setting. Turn that off and eco off as well in the picture setting/set up/advance section. You shouldn't get any more flicker from that. Also, adjust your contrast... remember its a new set don't go overboard on the contrast just as yet cause a dark and sudden bright scene can make the picture difference from the contrast. Have also sharpness down. Mine is at a 25-40 range. As for my Contrast is at the 55-65 settings as I'm waiting for the 100hrs run time, then I'll move it to the 70+ mark =)

There are quite a few more adjustments to get that grainy noise to a minimal. Was it the (NR)Noise Reduction setting. Or the enhancer... hehehe Its one of those. Not sure how Kiwimeat set his up.

But mine looks mighty fine for now. Bluray & HDDVD looks really awesome. Any issues with Judder on yours Kiwi regarding playing 1080p on 24p content?

had to adjust mine on the player while having 24p off. It is clear on Planet Earth HDDVD but for the BLURAY version its EYE CANDY all round =)

Cheers.

Yeah i'm not stoked about the buzz, that was one of the reasons i wrote off samsung sets. It stops inbetwee channels or while the menu is loading, then returns as soon as any picture is being displayed.

I've turned the contrast down now, 60 instead of 80. Don't know much about burning them in etc so don't want to do any harm.

Why turn the sharpness down out of interest ?

Question: About to buy some cables - if i plug something into the TV hdmi input, will it pass the sound out through the TV optical output into the receiver ? Or does it only output TV tuner audio through that? So in other words do i have to buy another hdmi cable to have xbox - receiver - tv. (only have one at the moment).

Yeah i'm not stoked about the buzz, that was one of the reasons i wrote off samsung sets. It stops inbetwee channels or while the menu is loading, then returns as soon as any picture is being displayed.

I've turned the contrast down now, 60 instead of 80. Don't know much about burning them in etc so don't want to do any harm.

Why turn the sharpness down out of interest ?

Question: About to buy some cables - if i plug something into the TV hdmi input, will it pass the sound out through the TV optical output into the receiver ? Or does it only output TV tuner audio through that? So in other words do i have to buy another hdmi cable to have xbox - receiver - tv. (only have one at the moment).

==============================

Turning down the sharpness for example 1080p content such as BLURAY which is already in high quality beats the purpose of having the sharpness at 50 or having it at all. Don't really need to improve the picture when its already in high quality format. But for grainy pictures adjusting the sharpness can define a picture or produce grainy noise on the picture. Example such as the world cup and afl football matches. Watch closely on the grass and how the football travels in the air. It just a matter of tweaking things =)

As for the HDMI, the 54v20 has an ARC function, especially for HDMI INPUT 2 which I have connected with my BT-230 HDMI(This has the ARC on it as well). Think of it as a connection that can travel in both ways not just one =) which is very handy indeed. Hope this helps you. Give it a try.

On another note, I found that having quality cables(component, HDMI etc...) helps reduce noise and grains on the picture.

Guest macy517

I bought my 54V20 6 days ago. Right from the start I have noticed the buzz, very noticeable on mute. Advised by Panasonic to ring my local repairer for warranty service call. Booked in for Tuesday. Harvey Norman, where I purchased it from, says if repairer cant fix it they will replace it. Will let you know what happens.

Yeah i'm very keen to here how you go with that, it is bothering me.. and i can't imagine what is making the noise it sounds terrible. Like a component about to pop or a fan catching on something, no idea.

What was the CATS setting mentioned before for flicker? i couldn't find it..

Most plasma panels buzz, but shouldn't be audible more than 1-2ft from the front of the display - even when audio is muted. The buzzing can be worse with when more white content is being displayed on screen.

Check out Ezyhd for HDMI cables. Keith has a good reputation on the forums.

Generally speaking TVs will passthrough audio from external source through their digital optical out, however it will be downscaled to stereo - it won't be DD5.1 They will output DD5.1 from FTA HD broadcasts when there is any DD5.1 being broadcast. You are better off to have audio from your X-Box fed straight from the X-Box to your AVR.

As for ARC - this is only available on newer HDMI v1.4 compliant equipment.

Ok cheers, definitely want all the audio channels not downmixed to stereo, so straight to receiver it is!

and yeah also noticed tonight that the pitch and intensity of the buzz changes in discrete increments as you adjust the contrast of a still picture up or down.

if it can be improved / fixed i would call a tech but if it's just something every set has to some degree then i guess it's only noticeable muted, and yeah within a few feet of the tv. Though with sharp ears it can be noticed subtly much further away.. i'd certainly prefer it wasn't there.. wtf is making it?? Something to do with the power supply? since it increases volume and pitch when the contrast is cranked, as more current is drawn?

Right now i'm putting PC output through component into it, it's getting 1080i : 1920x1080 32bit colour at 29 Hz (according to nvidea control panel, TV says 1080/60Hz). So the res looks sweet, but some slight flicker is detracting from the image. Will a pure hdmi video card-to-screen link enable a higher refresh rate, reducing the flicker? or is that just part of the plasma deal aswell ?

For Australian 50Hz video content you need to set the PC for 50Hz output or you will get judder problems. 50Hz input should be displayed at 100Hz and flicker free unless you have very sensitive eyes.

TV's normally cannot accept more than 60Hz input.

I bought my 54V20 6 days ago. Right from the start I have noticed the buzz, very noticeable on mute. Advised by Panasonic to ring my local repairer for warranty service call. Booked in for Tuesday. Harvey Norman, where I purchased it from, says if repairer cant fix it they will replace it. Will let you know what happens.

==========================================

Hi osmo and macy... I've tested the tv last night with this buzzing noise with contrast adjusted and also with lots of white scenes happening and so far there is no audible noise that you both describe of. But there is a subtle noise when you put your ears close enough to the back tv. Is the buzzing noise a constant buzz or just now and then on your sets? Let us know how you go with the service call macy.

For Australian 50Hz video content you need to set the PC for 50Hz output or you will get judder problems. 50Hz input should be displayed at 100Hz and flicker free unless you have very sensitive eyes.

TV's normally cannot accept more than 60Hz input.

===================================

Hi Owen,

was wondering if plugging the PC to the HDMI of the TV would suffice a good connection but change the refresh rate of the PC setting to 50Hz as what you'd advice.

Would it be alright or should I use other connection for PC.

the PC connected to the tv would be mainly movies and some web email content such as this one :)

Most plasma panels buzz, but shouldn't be audible more than 1-2ft from the front of the display - even when audio is muted. The buzzing can be worse with when more white content is being displayed on screen.

Check out Ezyhd for HDMI cables. Keith has a good reputation on the forums.

Generally speaking TVs will passthrough audio from external source through their digital optical out, however it will be downscaled to stereo - it won't be DD5.1 They will output DD5.1 from FTA HD broadcasts when there is any DD5.1 being broadcast. You are better off to have audio from your X-Box fed straight from the X-Box to your AVR.

As for ARC - this is only available on newer HDMI v1.4 compliant equipment.

===============================

Just got my HDMI at EzyHD today... yay... took only an overnight delivery to get here with DHL tracking service. My HDMI at the moment is 1.3C connected to the ARC(plasma) and to the ARC(BT-230). Would it be better to connect it with the HDMI v1.4 that I ordered at EzyHD?

Gotta tell you these HDMI looks SOLID and TOP GUN!!!

Has anybody bought the Panasonic wireless dongle for this TV

Panasonic DYWL10EK model? I've read that the TV does updates itself with firmware when available.

Saw this one;

http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/1121993/...iera-hdtvs.html

But I've read digital center have bad rep for their service. Let a broda know

UPDATE:

Updated my BT 230 firmware version 1.10 to 1.31 last night with great success. Noticed the player loads up BD movies much faster and

more responsive with the remote control too.

Yeah i'm very keen to here how you go with that, it is bothering me.. and i can't imagine what is making the noise it sounds terrible. Like a component about to pop or a fan catching on something, no idea.

What was the CATS setting mentioned before for flicker? i couldn't find it..

=============================================

C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) – Automatically senses the ambient light conditions and adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly. Provides the best possible picture contrast for each operating environment. This feature also helps reduce power consumption and minimize phosphor aging.

This is actually the ECO function :D I have mine turned off =)

yeah eco mode is off, too dull with it on.

Owen i only have 29 / 30 hz options in nvidia control panel, and it only seems to allow me to select 29. It's not the newest video card in the world though, planning to upgrade soon to one with hdmi output and use that to the TV. Hopefully that will give me more options over the HZ.

Yeah i have pretty sensitive eyes (when my contacts are in, lol).. the flicker is only subtle, probably unreasonable to expect the image to be as solid as a PC LCD.. but i thought these TV's were 96 / 100hz capable so i figured they would handle it .. ? Now i'm thinking that's LCD tho isn't it.. these are 600hz subfield.. which is just a bullsh*t multiple of 50hz actual or something ?

Anyway it looks pretty good just over a dodgy double joined 10 metre component cable, tiny bit of ghosting noticeable probably due to the cable length, so i'm pretty confident hdmi will improve it.

Sounds like the buzz is alot louder on my/macy's sets that we have noticed it straight away.. i can hear it enough to bother me standing in the middle of the room if there's no sound. Eager to hear what the tech thinks of yours macy..

PS is it bad to leave a computer desktop background on the screen for very long? Just a scenic pic, no logo's or anything.. but still brighter in some area's than others.. bad idea (atleast while the set is new) ?

PS is it bad to leave a computer desktop background on the screen for very long? Just a scenic pic, no logo's or anything.. but still brighter in some area's than others.. bad idea (atleast while the set is new) ?

Yes, any static image for a long time is not a good idea. Maybe envoke the screen saver settings on your computer so that after 10mins or so it reduces the screen output or goes into sleep mode.

Hi Macy,

I have had the same problem (buzz and particularly noticeable on white pictures) since I've owned my tv for a couple of weeks now (also the 54v20A). I'm keen on knowing how you go with Panasonic service. If the buzz is not "normal", I'll be exchanging it ASAP. Drives me nuts, particularly in the evening when the volume is set at low.

Cheers

John

Hi all

I have recently bought a TH-P50V20A with the free Avatar SC-BT230 home theatre offer.

Really happy with the TV except for the following glitch.

When the BT230 arrived, I set it up and plugged HDMI cable in to port 1. I lost my TV picture for all channels except ABC and SBS. Looking at the signal strength / quality showed very good strength (8 to 10) but quality less than 1 - other than ABC and SBS. When I unplugged the HDMI cable , signal quality goes back up to 7 to 10 across the board (depending on station) and picture is fine. I plugged my AppleTV into HDMI 1 and found a significant but smaller drop in signal quality, resulting in several channels dropping out. Plugging the cable into a different HDMI port sees reception restored - as long as HDMI port 1 is empty.

Has anyone else had a problem with HDMI port 1? Solutions? SHould I be getting the Panasonic tech on the phone?