Panasonic Viera Th-p54v20a

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about to ask the same question but for the 50inch. I am sure there would be no difference? Also can anyone recommend anyone to Calibrate my tv in the liverpool NSW area.

Thanks

Hi Adam... what are your current settings for viewing at the moment? Dynamic, Normal etc....

Mine is at normal mode with settings set to;

Mode: Normal

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 10

Color: 45-55 between

Sharpness: 50

Waiting for 100hrs break in to set Contrast to 60 and brightness to 20 :D

Cheers...

Hi everyone just recently got this TV... was wondering what are the recommended settings for people who have had it professionally Calibrated.

Thanks =)

Hi

Can't help with the settings but interested in the purchase price and where, if you don't mind please.

Cheers

Just about to ask the same question but for the 50inch. I am sure there would be no difference? Also can anyone recommend anyone to Calibrate my tv in the liverpool NSW area.

Thanks

Aaron from Avical gets a good wrap on the forums. He travels around a fair bit. Make sure you have used your TV for a couple hundred hours and that you have all the devices you plan on getting (for now at least) as you'll need to calibrate each device and input individuallyto get the best from every source

diesel + 1

Aaron calibrated my Fujitsu and I plan to get him to calibrate the Panasonic TH-P54V20A should I buy one (planning on doing it this weekend).

As for sharing settings from a professional calibration - it's kinda pointless because each is unique including factors such as position, ambient light, artificial light, source devices, even room & ceiling colour. What really delivers for someone else's configuration most likely won't for someone else's.

Prior to the professional calibration of my panel, I had used some shared settings from the internet and then used a DIY calibration disk. I can tell you that the post ISF calibration settings are very different to the ones I had previously.

I felt it was worthwhile and cost-effective and I'll have it done again by Aaron.

Hi

Can't help with the settings but interested in the purchase price and where, if you don't mind please.

Cheers

Purchase price was all over the place.. Harvey Norman, Good guys and JBHIFI...

Retail price was $2996

HN= $2850 + $79 for delivery

GG= $2800 + Free delivery

JB= $2750 + Free delivery with 4yr warranty + Free Belkin Power Surge

I've gone with JBHIFI for haggling in person and over the phone and I guess they finally got sick of me

doing it for a week. They wouldn't go under $2700 but with the free stuff they were throwing in I was more than happy to pay it all =)

Not disappointed at all with my purchase and for waiting. This unit is Japan manufactured. The guys at JB said this one

is the one. Meaning the one to look out for. HD contents are just flawless... loving every scene and bits of it.

I will calibrate it done professionally in the not so distant future... let me know if anyone else has got this BAD BOY...

Aaron from Avical gets a good wrap on the forums. He travels around a fair bit. Make sure you have used your TV for a couple hundred hours and that you have all the devices you plan on getting (for now at least) as you'll need to calibrate each device and input individuallyto get the best from every source

I've done that Diesel... for every input I could throw at the tv... =)

diesel + 1

Aaron calibrated my Fujitsu and I plan to get him to calibrate the Panasonic TH-P54V20A should I buy one (planning on doing it this weekend).

As for sharing settings from a professional calibration - it's kinda pointless because each is unique including factors such as position, ambient light, artificial light, source devices, even room & ceiling colour. What really delivers for someone else's configuration most likely won't for someone else's.

Prior to the professional calibration of my panel, I had used some shared settings from the internet and then used a DIY calibration disk. I can tell you that the post ISF calibration settings are very different to the ones I had previously.

I felt it was worthwhile and cost-effective and I'll have it done again by Aaron.

I concur with what you've said... it really depends on the environment, the lighting and surroundings. So far, I've set up everything nicely with every inputs that are connected with the TV. I say go for it mate... get it this weekend. Go for Gold!!! :D

Hi Adam... what are your current settings for viewing at the moment? Dynamic, Normal etc....

Mine is at normal mode with settings set to;

Mode: Normal

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 10

Color: 45-55 between

Sharpness: 50

Waiting for 100hrs break in to set Contrast to 60 and brightness to 20 :D

Cheers...

How can you watch the TV set like that?

What where you hoping to achieve with such a low Brightness setting other than terrible black crush and no shadow detail.

The Brightness setting has no effect on “run in” and can be set properly from day one. A Contrast setting of 50 is unnecessarily dim as well unless the room is dark.

Edited by Owen

How can you watch the TV set like that?

What where you hoping to achieve with such a low Brightness setting other than terrible black crush and no shadow detail.

The Brightness setting has no effect on “run in” and can be set properly from day one. A Contrast setting of 50 is unnecessarily dim as well unless the room is dark.

===================================

Thanks Owen, I will take that into account. The Tv is in a medium light setting, that's why I had the contrast set to 50 I will up it more on the 65-70 level once I've reach 100hrs.

what would you suggest brightness be? As stated I will have it calibrated later on =) thanks for the comment though.

===================================

Thanks Owen, I will take that into account. The Tv is in a medium light setting, that's why I had the contrast set to 50 I will up it more on the 65-70 level once I've reach 100hrs.

what would you suggest brightness be? As stated I will have it calibrated later on =) thanks for the comment though.

To adjust Brightness display a wide aspect ratio move (preferably a dark scene on pause) with black bars top and bottom then turn the Brightness control down one step at a time until the black bars just stop getting any darker and you are done.

Different inputs and ambient lighting will require different brightness settings.

Guest macy517

Just bought this one, pick it up today. Got it for $2350 & $299 for extended warranty to 5 years. I'm new to this. I gather calibration is getting all the settings right for your environment. Do you need to wait a certain time before getting it done? Anyone get it done professionally in Melbourne?? How much and who by? Thanks for any help.

Just bought this one, pick it up today. Got it for $2350 & $299 for extended warranty to 5 years. I'm new to this. I gather calibration is getting all the settings right for your environment. Do you need to wait a certain time before getting it done? Anyone get it done professionally in Melbourne?? How much and who by? Thanks for any help.

Hi - I'm interested in the place of purchase please, particularly as I am having trouble finding a store with stock. Cheers

Hi - I'm interested in the place of purchase please, particularly as I am having trouble finding a store with stock. Cheers

Try Harvey Norman - they received stock in Brisbane this week. I purchased mine from the HN in the Domayne Store in Newstead.

======================

Hi Macy517 are you sure you got the 54" NOT THE 50"? Those are some of the price range for the 50" ones... Hmmmmm... did you have it compare with other store prices. Still, that is a good buy. Good thing the guy at JB gave me the free Belkin IR 8 plug =) How are you finding the Pana set so far Macy517? How are your settings in the normal mode set to? Enjoy!!!

I previously posted this on another topic but I purchased the Th-P54V20A from MYER Highpoint (Maribyrnong VIC) store.

TV Plus 5 yr warranty = $2599.00

Delivery (to Regional VIC) = $60.00

When I purchased it three weeks ago they did not have stock on hand but they had a tentative delivery date (which was estimated at a week later). They took my order and they only missed the date by 2 days which is no big deal. MYERS is pretty reputable so if they say stock is coming I did not have a problem with that.

I have always found Myers to have the best prices (after negotiation) and they have matched online prices as well. If they do not have stock on hand, they won't try to sell you something else and will provide a fairly accurate delivery date. Its up to you if you want to wait.

Haven't played around with the settings much (upped the contrast and brightness slightly) will wait until it gets a few more hours on it.

I previously posted this on another topic but I purchased the Th-P54V20A from MYER Highpoint (Maribyrnong VIC) store.

TV Plus 5 yr warranty = $2599.00

Delivery (to Regional VIC) = $60.00

When I purchased it three weeks ago they did not have stock on hand but they had a tentative delivery date (which was estimated at a week later). They took my order and they only missed the date by 2 days which is no big deal. MYERS is pretty reputable so if they say stock is coming I did not have a problem with that.

I have always found Myers to have the best prices (after negotiation) and they have matched online prices as well. If they do not have stock on hand, they won't try to sell you something else and will provide a fairly accurate delivery date. Its up to you if you want to wait.

Haven't played around with the settings much (upped the contrast and brightness slightly) will wait until it gets a few more hours on it.

=============

Thanks for the info geehaw =)

To adjust Brightness display a wide aspect ratio move (preferably a dark scene on pause) with black bars top and bottom then turn the Brightness control down one step at a time until the black bars just stop getting any darker and you are done.

Different inputs and ambient lighting will require different brightness settings.

=======================

Thanks Owen... will try these out when I get home tonight... May I ask if you have a plasma? As I've read quite a number of threads of you in it =) You are very knowledgeable.

As for technical side of things... anybody here experience this two phenomenon?

Panasonic Plasmas: rising blacks and floating blacks

are they to worry about? Tnx.

Only just got my TV today, sitting boxed in the hallway while i'm at work :|

Now i've got the serial number i'll crank through the redemption claim asap and see how it goes.. a week would be awesome!

I'm planning on selling it anyway and getting a dedicated bluray player as i've built a nice fat receiver/speaker setup already.. keeping avatar tho, will be nice eye candy on the 54 :)

-- Also have a question, i'm guessing the answer is no - but i'm wondering if i might be able to record from the usb out on this tv to the 120gb usb hard drive in the xbox bonus.. otherwise i might be selling that too, lol.

Edited by osmodiar

The first time it was playing ice age and looked good, the other few times it was playing the same as the other sets and looks really blured out compared to the Sammy 3D Plasma. What gives?

Hmm, i didn't notice any blurryness when i checked it out a couple of times.. I only looked at bluray sources though, and i had the salesman hook up a standalone player straight to the TV.

One thing i did not test however, was how free to air TV looked on it.. which was perhaps a bit foolish because i watch a fair bit of it. Quite a few mates have had last years G series for some time now though, and i've always been impressed with broadcast sources on them. Mind you they are all 42-46 inch.. not 54 !

Oh well, too late now! I guess I can report back my impressions later this week after i've tried it out for a bit..

Probably most looking forward to the next formula 1 grand prix.. been watching it on a 68cm tube and still loving the racing so i imagine it's going to be freaking incredible now.. !