alanh

Canberra Dab+ Trial

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2019 at 11:46 AM, Audiofile99 said:

It will cost me $700 to add in a DAB capable car receiver, or just continue streaming.

The main advantage of radio is less fiddling so would some appeal in the car (I will grant that).  But it's certainly not a sound qualit argument.  The quality improvement with streaming audio is noticeable.

Yes, in retrospect I have to wonder whether DAB+ was worthwhile introducing into Australia, seeing as how we don't have the extreme congestion on the FM band that parts of Europe have, and seeing as how bitrates have been kept so low. We have gone for quantity (number of "services") rather than sound quality.

I still find find the sound quality for ABC classic FM better on FM (using a good antenna) than DAB+, though when in a car there can be occasional multipath chirps or glitches with FM that arguably make DAB+ the better compromise.

Edited by MLXXX

• Canberra has now returned to having 29 DAB+ stations with the arrival of Snow FM. This station plays music and news and provides info on snow conditions.

At the end of the ski season, I expect the station to be dropped in favour of ELF Radio which plays Christmas songs.

I have sent e-mails to Capital Radio over the poor signals from 2CA and 2CC on DAB+.

They have replied today:

"We moved studios over the weekend from Mitchell to Crace and this may have a few teething problems.

Also in the next 2 weeks the trial DAB service that runs all the Canberra commercial stations including us will be made a permanent service. This means an increase in power and a change of frequency (You will need to do a rescan on your radio when this happens). This should fix these ongoing issues."

A techo also responded. He said that over the coming weekend , both 2CA and 2CC will be advising listeners to rescan next week as DAB+ frequencies will change.

12 hours ago, El Saif said:

I have sent e-mails to Capital Radio over the poor signals from 2CA and 2CC on DAB+.

They have replied today:

"We moved studios over the weekend from Mitchell to Crace and this may have a few teething problems.

Also in the next 2 weeks the trial DAB service that runs all the Canberra commercial stations including us will be made a permanent service. This means an increase in power and a change of frequency (You will need to do a rescan on your radio when this happens). This should fix these ongoing issues."

A techo also responded. He said that over the coming weekend , both 2CA and 2CC will be advising listeners to rescan next week as DAB+ frequencies will change.

I wonder where their new studios are?  Definitely not in the residential area ofCrace as that is my Canberra base - they used to be in the reserve area between Mitchell and Crace but if they have moved then I don’t know where?

The new studio is at 51 Bellenden Street, Crace. Canberra ACT.

On the 2CA FB page, the new studio looks very swish.

2CA is advertising that it will shift frequencies and increase the power of the DAB+ transmissions fourfold in Canberra at 10.30 om Friday, 19 July 2019. Listeners will have to rescan their DAB+ radios at that time.

They claim that this will improve the reach of the DAB+ signal.

They also claim that the trial since 2010 is over and the commercial stations DAB+ broadcasts are now permanent.

The ABC and SBS DAB+ broadcasts are already permanent.

10 hours ago, El Saif said:

2CA is advertising that it will shift frequencies and increase the power of the DAB+ transmissions fourfold in Canberra at 10.30 om Friday, 19 July 2019. Listeners will have to rescan their DAB+ radios at that time.

They claim that this will improve the reach of the DAB+ signal.

They also claim that the trial since 2010 is over and the commercial stations DAB+ broadcasts are now permanent.

The ABC and SBS DAB+ broadcasts are already permanent.

Curious - any idea on what the difference in power between the commercial stations and the abc is?  

(FWIW - I don’t listen to the commercial stations, but in the car, the dab broadcast of abc-rn drops out only a few kms past the border when going to Sydney).

My understanding is that the ABC and SBS use a 5kW transmitter.

The commercial stations intend to go from 5kW to 20kW on Friday.

I did a scan today and found 2 new stations DAB+ Test 1 and DAB+ Test 2. on the 8 D band.

The recorded announcement refers to Digital Radio Broadcasting Canberra Pty Ltd.

ACMA set up this company and invited community broadcasters in Canberra to buy shares in this company. Those community broadcasters who do so, can use the company's DAB+ transmitter on a user pays basis.

The ACCC gave the OK to this arrangement.

So far, the community broadcasters in Canberra have been silent as whether they are participating in this arrangement.

I scanned my DAB+ radio today

There are now 28 DAB+ stations broadcasting in Canberra. They are:

Canberra DAB+ Stations  19 July 2019

ABC CANBERRA

ABC Classic

ABC Country

ABC Grandstand

ABC Jazz

ABC KIDS Listen

ABC NEWS
ABCRadioNational

Double J

SBS Arabic24

SBS Chill

SBS PopAsia

SBS PopDesi

SBS Radio 1

SBS Radio 2

SBS Radio 3

triple J

Unearthed

2CA

2CC

Buddha Radio

Coles Radio

Hit 104.7

Kix Country

Mix 106.3

My Canberra

Snow Digital

The Edge

The number of stations has fallen from 31 to 28.

DAB+ Test 1, DAB+ Test 2 and CRA Test have now gone.

The DLS no longer refers to the Canberra DAB+ Trial.

Edited by El Saif

5 minutes ago, El Saif said:

I scanned my DAB+ radio today

There are now 28 DAB+ stations broadcasting in Canberra. They are:

Canberra DAB+ Stations  19 July 2019

ABC CANBERRA

ABC Classic

ABC Country

ABC Grandstand

ABC Jazz

ABC KIDS Listen

ABC NEWS
ABCRadioNational

Double J

SBS Arabic24

SBS Chill

SBS PopAsia

SBS PopDesi

SBS Radio 1

SBS Radio 2

SBS Radio 3

triple J

Unearthed

2CA

2CC

Buddha Radio

Coles Radio

Hit 104.7

Kix Country

Mix 106.3

My Canberra

Snow Digital

The Edge

The number of stations has fallen from 31 to 28.

DAB+ Test 1, DAB+ Test 2 and CRA Test have now gone.

The DLS no longer refers to the Canberra DAB+ Trial.

I wonder who actually listen to Coles Radio - either in their car, at the gym or chilling out at home.  I mean, does anyone actually plan to sit down and groove to the great sounds of Coles Radio?

3 hours ago, captain starlight said:

I wonder who actually listen to Coles Radio - either in their car, at the gym or chilling out at home.  I mean, does anyone actually plan to sit down and groove to the great sounds of Coles Radio?

I assume the Coles Radio is there so the supermarkets can tune into it?

Who would have thunk it...........................Coles Radio is the highest rating DAB+ station!

See:https://www.radiotoday.com.au/dab-digital-ratings-coles-radio-double-j-over-200k-listeners-each.

In the larger cities, but not Canberra, you can also listen to Chemist Warehouse REMIX on DAB+.

6 hours ago, El Saif said:

Who would have thunk it...........................Coles Radio is the highest rating DAB+ station!

See:https://www.radiotoday.com.au/dab-digital-ratings-coles-radio-double-j-over-200k-listeners-each.

In the larger cities, but not Canberra, you can also listen to Chemist Warehouse REMIX on DAB+.

It may be the highest rating because the listeners (supermarket shoppers) don’t have a choice - that is, the millions of people who venture into a coles supermarket each week are forced to listen to it.

that is a very different situation to the other radio station where the vast majority of listeners voluntarily Tune in.

not really a fair comparison I think.