Canberra Dab+ Trial

alanh

2CA is advertising that it will shift frequencies and increase the power of the DAB+ transmissions fourfold in Canberra at 10.30 om Friday, 19 July 2019. Listeners will have to rescan their DAB+ radios at that time.

They claim that this will improve the reach of the DAB+ signal.

They also claim that the trial since 2010 is over and the commercial stations DAB+ broadcasts are now permanent.

The ABC and SBS DAB+ broadcasts are already permanent.

10 hours ago, El Saif said:

2CA is advertising that it will shift frequencies and increase the power of the DAB+ transmissions fourfold in Canberra at 10.30 om Friday, 19 July 2019. Listeners will have to rescan their DAB+ radios at that time.

They claim that this will improve the reach of the DAB+ signal.

They also claim that the trial since 2010 is over and the commercial stations DAB+ broadcasts are now permanent.

The ABC and SBS DAB+ broadcasts are already permanent.

Curious - any idea on what the difference in power between the commercial stations and the abc is?  

(FWIW - I don’t listen to the commercial stations, but in the car, the dab broadcast of abc-rn drops out only a few kms past the border when going to Sydney).

My understanding is that the ABC and SBS use a 5kW transmitter.

The commercial stations intend to go from 5kW to 20kW on Friday.

I did a scan today and found 2 new stations DAB+ Test 1 and DAB+ Test 2. on the 8 D band.

The recorded announcement refers to Digital Radio Broadcasting Canberra Pty Ltd.

ACMA set up this company and invited community broadcasters in Canberra to buy shares in this company. Those community broadcasters who do so, can use the company's DAB+ transmitter on a user pays basis.

The ACCC gave the OK to this arrangement.

So far, the community broadcasters in Canberra have been silent as whether they are participating in this arrangement.

I scanned my DAB+ radio today

There are now 28 DAB+ stations broadcasting in Canberra. They are:

Canberra DAB+ Stations  19 July 2019

ABC CANBERRA

ABC Classic

ABC Country

ABC Grandstand

ABC Jazz

ABC KIDS Listen

ABC NEWS
ABCRadioNational

Double J

SBS Arabic24

SBS Chill

SBS PopAsia

SBS PopDesi

SBS Radio 1

SBS Radio 2

SBS Radio 3

triple J

Unearthed

2CA

2CC

Buddha Radio

Coles Radio

Hit 104.7

Kix Country

Mix 106.3

My Canberra

Snow Digital

The Edge

The number of stations has fallen from 31 to 28.

DAB+ Test 1, DAB+ Test 2 and CRA Test have now gone.

The DLS no longer refers to the Canberra DAB+ Trial.

Edited by El Saif

5 minutes ago, El Saif said:

I scanned my DAB+ radio today

There are now 28 DAB+ stations broadcasting in Canberra. They are:

Canberra DAB+ Stations  19 July 2019

ABC CANBERRA

ABC Classic

ABC Country

ABC Grandstand

ABC Jazz

ABC KIDS Listen

ABC NEWS
ABCRadioNational

Double J

SBS Arabic24

SBS Chill

SBS PopAsia

SBS PopDesi

SBS Radio 1

SBS Radio 2

SBS Radio 3

triple J

Unearthed

2CA

2CC

Buddha Radio

Coles Radio

Hit 104.7

Kix Country

Mix 106.3

My Canberra

Snow Digital

The Edge

The number of stations has fallen from 31 to 28.

DAB+ Test 1, DAB+ Test 2 and CRA Test have now gone.

The DLS no longer refers to the Canberra DAB+ Trial.

I wonder who actually listen to Coles Radio - either in their car, at the gym or chilling out at home.  I mean, does anyone actually plan to sit down and groove to the great sounds of Coles Radio?

3 hours ago, captain starlight said:

I wonder who actually listen to Coles Radio - either in their car, at the gym or chilling out at home.  I mean, does anyone actually plan to sit down and groove to the great sounds of Coles Radio?

I assume the Coles Radio is there so the supermarkets can tune into it?

Who would have thunk it...........................Coles Radio is the highest rating DAB+ station!

See:https://www.radiotoday.com.au/dab-digital-ratings-coles-radio-double-j-over-200k-listeners-each.

In the larger cities, but not Canberra, you can also listen to Chemist Warehouse REMIX on DAB+.

6 hours ago, El Saif said:

Who would have thunk it...........................Coles Radio is the highest rating DAB+ station!

See:https://www.radiotoday.com.au/dab-digital-ratings-coles-radio-double-j-over-200k-listeners-each.

In the larger cities, but not Canberra, you can also listen to Chemist Warehouse REMIX on DAB+.

It may be the highest rating because the listeners (supermarket shoppers) don’t have a choice - that is, the millions of people who venture into a coles supermarket each week are forced to listen to it.

that is a very different situation to the other radio station where the vast majority of listeners voluntarily Tune in.

not really a fair comparison I think.

On 19/07/2019 at 10:17 PM, El Saif said:

I think that's actually been the case in the past too.

On 20/07/2019 at 5:01 AM, captain starlight said:

It may be the highest rating because the listeners (supermarket shoppers) don’t have a choice - that is, the millions of people who venture into a coles supermarket each week are forced to listen to it.

Yes, I'd say so.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, El Saif said:

Here is an article about the unlikely success of Coles Radio broadcasting in DAB+.

See: https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/how-coles-came-to-dominate-digital-only-radio-20190814-p52gww.html

Interesting article - but I still think the audience numbers may be dubious. That is, are they counting the customers who walk into each coles supermarket as a REAL listener?  These people don’t have a choice and are forced to listen to coles radio.

compare this to people who voluntarily tune into the other dab+ stations.

so I think the listening numbers may be very skewed for that reason.

would love to see a breakdown on the listeners of coles radio.

• 7 months later...

Finally, a community radio station in Canberra has put up it's hand to be the first to broadcast in DAB+.

Artsound FM claim that they will soon join many other radio stations in Australia in launching a Digital Radio service (DAB+).

In the first stage of the rollout of DAB+, ArtSound will broadcast DAB+ as a simulcast of its FM stream.

The digital service will stream to DAB+ digital radio sets that are quickly entering the market, as well as to car radios that have been equipped with digital-to-FM converters.

ArtSound is one of several stations collaborating through the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia to commence DAB+ streams. The service is expected to commence in a few months. To facilitate the new service, ArtSound’s Manuka studios will be connected to a high-quality private fibre network that the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia has commissioned Telstra to install. Via DAB+ transmission equipment at its Black Mountain Tower site, ArtSound will link to the network.

This project was instigated and is being funded entirely by the federal government for the first three years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My cup runneth over!

After waiting since 2015, Canberra finally has community broadcasting stations on DAB+.

These stations are:

1XXR – 2XXFM the oldest community radio station in Australia now broadcasting at extremely low volume on DAB+.

1Way – a Christian radio station that also broadcasts on 91.9 FM to Canberra.

1RPH – radio for the print handicapped.

CMS – community languages

A notable absentee is Artsound FM  that received a government grant to connect their studio to enable DAB+.

Further to my message above,

Artsound has joined the other four community broadcasters on DAB+.

Also 1XXR has been renamed as 2XX, however their signal is still very weak and distorted.