Hi all

I've had a look on the main players websites(pana, sammy, sony, lg)but I'm unable to find a PVR with the following specs.

1. 3D blu-ray player/recorder

2. 500G storage

3. Twin HD tuners

4. EPG - Electronic Program Guide

I have a 3D tv, a PS3 and am awaiting the 3D Blu-ray player from Samsung. Just in case the sammy 3D BR player isn't up to par, are there any other units capable of fullfilling the above mentioned requirements?

It has to be a stand alone unit, ie, no HTPC wizz banger :D

Many thanks

At this stage - Not really. 3D is still very new so it may be another year or so before we start seeing more models arrive.

The closest I can think of may be the PS3 with PlayTV add-on and the much mentioned future FW upgrade to the PS3 to allow 3D bluray playback. Not sure whether this will allow the PS3 and PlayTV to record 3D FTA broadcasts.

Actually, now that I think of it, I have not seen anyone posts whether the new Panasonic Bluray and DVD recorders were able to record any of the recent 3D FTA trials.

Edited by diesel

At this stage - Not really. 3D is still very new so it may be another year or so before we start seeing more models arrive.

The closest I can think of may be the PS3 with PlayTV add-on and the much mentioned future FW upgrade to the PS3 to allow 3D bluray playback. Not sure whether this will allow the PS3 and PlayTV to record 3D FTA broadcasts.

Actually, now that I think of it, I have not seen anyone posts whether the new Panasonic Bluray and DVD recorders were able to record any of the recent 3D FTA trials.

Forgot to mention I have Foxtel HD which can record 3D broadcasts, but it hasn't got a dedicated BR player/recorder. If the sammy 3D BR player has excellent BR playback qualities along with outstanding upscaling of DVD's, problem solved. I just fear that I may be asking to much of the sammy player. Time will tell. Basically, it's a sit & wait type of scenario.

Cheers

All,

All receivers including PVRs which are capable of MPEG-4 reception are capable of displaying, ecording and playing all present 3-D transmissions. 2-D displays show the left and right images beside each other but each image is half the width.

There are quite a few PVRs which are MPEG-4 or H264 capable check the specifications.

The Foxtel HD transmissions, VAST and all 3-D terrestrial transmissions all use MPEG-4 compression.

Once MPEG-4 MVC standard has been agreed then a new PVR will be required. This is because instead of transmitting a pair of images side by side, the compression will change to a single 1920 x 1080 picture with a depth signal . This will mean that a single signal can be received by 2-D HD MPEG-4 receivers as well as 3-D receivers.

Alanh

All,

All receivers including PVRs which are capable of MPEG-4 reception are capable of displaying, ecording and playing all present 3-D transmissions. 2-D displays show the left and right images beside each other but each image is half the width.

There are quite a few PVRs which are MPEG-4 or H264 capable check the specifications.

The Foxtel HD transmissions, VAST and all 3-D terrestrial transmissions all use MPEG-4 compression.

Once MPEG-4 MVC standard has been agreed then a new PVR will be required. This is because instead of transmitting a pair of images side by side, the compression will change to a single 1920 x 1080 picture with a depth signal . This will mean that a single signal can be received by 2-D HD MPEG-4 receivers as well as 3-D receivers.

Alanh

Thanks for your response Alanh.

I'm not "technically" adept as some on this forum, well, a lot to be honest, but I do know what I require. Giving what you said above, I am able to insert the Monsters v Aliens 3D blu-ray disk I received into an MPEG4 PVR/player and have it work? I personally do not think this is possible as blu-ray players are either 3D capable or they're not. Which brings me back to my original question.

I've had a look on the main players websites(pana, sammy, sony, lg)but I'm unable to find a PVR with the following specs.

1. 3D blu-ray player/recorder

2. 500G storage

3. Twin HD tuners

4. EPG - Electronic Program Guide

I have a 3D tv, a PS3 and am awaiting the 3D Blu-ray player from Samsung. Just in case the sammy 3D BR player isn't up to par, are there any other units capable of fullfilling the above mentioned requirements?

Hi Overlytaxed, I don't know why you are sceptical about the ability of the Sammy 3D Blu-ray player to perform, or why you suspect a 3D Blu-ray PVR might perform better. Anyway ...

It may be some years before Australia has any terrestrial 3D transmissions in a format requiring new technology beyond MPEG-4 AVC. As alanh has pointed out, existing 3D transmissions "cheat" by squashing the left and right images into a normal MPEG-4 1920x1080 frame. As long as a Blu-ray PVR can capture normal MPEG-4 AVC,* it can capture the current test 3D transmissions correctly. When you play back the recording you simply adjust your 3D TV for side-by-side 3D input and it will process it and display it as 3D.

In the future, it is possible MPEG-4 MVC will be adopted in Australia for full resolution 3D transmissions. It's a bit hypothetical to consider at this point but it is possible that today's 2D Blu-ray PVRs could record the entire MPEG-4 MVC video stream successfully and if burned to a Blu-ray disc, the disc would play back in 2D on a 2D Blu-ray player, or in 3D on a 3D Blu-ray player.

I am not aware of a PVR that includes a Blu-ray burner that can play back the new full resolution 3D Blu-ray discs in 3D. They would play back in 2D. I note that full colour full resolution 3D Blu-ray disc titles are only just coming onto the market.

Cheers.

*The MPEG-4 AVC (or h.264) codec is new in Australia for terrestrial broadcasts but a late model Blu-ray PVR should be able to tune to a transmission using that codec, and record it.

Edited by MLXXX

Any news on Tivo recording 3D?
Tivo can record and playback 3D. Its highlighted on their site. But as Alanh says any Freeview or MPEG4 machine should be able to.

For the OP, its generally recommended to get a PVR and separate bluray player, especially now that they are so cheap.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The Samsung 3D TVs have a feature called "Extended PVR" where you can attach a USB hard drive and record TV to it and use it as a time shift buffer.

If you press record you can record immediately up to 6 hours.

You can set timer recordings but only via the EPG i.e. no manual timer setting and there is no padding nor manual extension of recording time.

The most annoying thing is that you can't set a timer for the 3D Trial broadcasts because the 3D Trial channel doesn't have an EPG.

So given that the recent World Cup games have been on at 4am it's a real pain.

I wrote to Samsung Customer Care asking that they consider adding a manual timer to allow for padding and channels without an EPG.

Their rather lame response was

Unfortunately, we do noth ave control over the EPG as it is data transmitted from the stations themselves. If they do not send out the relevant data then the TV will not process it and hence you will no be able to record.. .

I'm now calling this feature "Reduced PVR".

Edited by glow

• 2 months later...

I just rang the 3D TV hotline 1300 487 855 and they confirmed that again Channel Nine will not be broadcasting an EPG with the 2nd 3D trial (NRL and AFL Grand Finals).

So again the Samsung Extended PVR feature cannot be used to record the 3D broadcast with a timer since timer recordings can only be done from the EPG.

At least this time you don't have to be up at 4am to press manually press record.

Edited by glow

Well the market has changed since this thread started - Samsung BD-C8900A

The Samsung BD-C8900A comes with a 500GB hard drive that can record up to 120 hours of HD content, while the Samsung BD-C8800A records up to 60 hours of HD TV content on its 250GB memory. In addition, users can also connect to the Internet using its built-in wireless adapter or via an Ethernet cable.

Both the Samsung BD-C8900A and BD-C8800A also feature Samsung's AllShare technology which allows a user to connect DLNA compatible electronics to the TV and share music, photos, videos and more from one device to another. USB 2.0 connectivity also allows you to transfer content to and from the Hard Disk Drive or expand the player's memory if required.

Samsung Australia's Group Manager – AV, Evan Manolis said, "These new Samsung 3D Blu -ray PVR players complete the ultimate Samsung 3D at-home Full HD 1080p picture quality experience. We're offering Australian consumers the chance to future-proof their living rooms with tomorrow's technology. Beyond their ability to play and record 2D and 3D content, these Blu-ray players also allow for easier content sharing with other devices using wireless AllShare or USB 2.0 connectivity, and include a wireless LAN Adapter with access to Samsung's Internet@TV services and Samsung Apps."

The Samsung BD-C8900A and BDC8800A will be available from late September for RRP $899 and $699 respectively.

Yup, noticed this.

As far as the Sammy 3D player is concerned, plays bluray superbly. As far as upscaling DVD goes, it's a bit hit & miss. Played my DVD version of Saving Private Ryan and was suitably impressed. Played the DVD of Flight of the Phoenix was suitably unimpressed!

From memory, the info contained on the Sammy website espouses the bluray players ability to breath life into your DVD collection through upscaling, etc, etc. Not so in all circumstances In my experience. It does extremely well with some DVD titles, average with others. Excellent bluray and 3D playback, definitely recommend it for those duties. I'm just going to bite the bullet and flog off my DVD collection and upgrade my titles to bluray. Only have 40 odd titles, so not to much of an inconvenience.

I purchased Apple TV a couple of years ago. There's some negativity surrounding this unit, personally, I love it. Which brings me to my next point. The most ideal solution for me would be the ability to download/buy a bluray via something like Apple TV. Unfortunately, Apple does not allow this or is not capable of it. You can rent a title in 720p, but if you decide to buy a movie, the maximum resolution you receive is 576p. The yanks have the ability to buy (Apple TV/Itunes) in 720p, I'm unsure why us Aussies get ladled with 576p. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guest john-andrew
So again the Samsung Extended PVR feature cannot be used to record the 3D broadcast with a timer since timer recordings can only be done from the EPG.

Does it have manual timer recordings without the need to rely on EPG?

FYI, I can manually set timer recording on any PVR or on any recorder without a problem. The brands are Topfield, Panasonic and Sony.

Does it have manual timer recordings without the need to rely on EPG?

FYI, I can manually set timer recording on any PVR or on any recorder without a problem. The brands are Topfield, Panasonic and Sony.

The Samsung TVs "Extended PVR" feature is actually a "reduced PVR" feature. It can only set timer recordings from the EPG and you can't modify the settings manually afterwards e.g. to change the duration to add padding. Immediate recordings are possible if you just press record while watching something and then set the duration. It also has a timeslip buffer (but you can't save it). It sounds ridiculous that there is no manual timer for such an expensive piece of equipment. You'd think it would be really simple to implement.

My beyonwiz DP-P1 and DP-S1 PVRs can record the 3D broadcast but can't play it back smoothly. The Samsung TV can play back the Wiz 3D recordings but I have to transfer them to an external HDD which is very slow.

• 3 months later...
The Samsung TVs "Extended PVR" feature is actually a "reduced PVR" feature. It can only set timer recordings from the EPG and you can't modify the settings manually afterwards e.g. to change the duration to add padding. Immediate recordings are possible if you just press record while watching something and then set the duration. It also has a timeslip buffer (but you can't save it). It sounds ridiculous that there is no manual timer for such an expensive piece of equipment. You'd think it would be really simple to implement.

Samsung eventually wrote back (after all the 3D trial broadcasts were over) and explained that manual timers are indeed possible.

It's buried in the menu system and not obvious from the manual.

Press Menu

Scroll to Channel

Select Channel Manager

Highlight the channel to record

Press Tools > Timer Recording