Sign in to follow this  
Smacca

Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

Part of the specs for the VAST box was the inclusion of an RF modulator... so even old TV's without AV inputs could be used.

Once again, the reason for the default 576i output.

Anyone with expertise on the VAST news channel, will border areas receiving television from another state have access to their own state's VAST news channel?

Newtaste,

You will have to wait until 15 December. This is because the only place they have to serve is a small percentage of the Mildura area. By 15 September, black spots in SE SA, Riverland and Spencer Gulf blackspots. So then they will have to have Mildura, WIN news and Central news bulletins.

AlanH

Not being able to see these broadcasts, do I assume that there is no 24 hour news channel yet? If it isn't there yet, how do these people hear / see their own news?

If there is a 24hr news service now, then wouldn't it just be the Mildura / Sunraysia news going for the full 24 hours, as they are the only eligible area to receive the broadcasts.

Don't forget Senator Conroy is using a filter already for satellite tv...yep, the same one that was meant for all Australians to be able to adequately recieve fta tv ( oops...there I go again)

If there is a 24hr news service now, then wouldn't it just be the Mildura / Sunraysia news going for the full 24 hours, as they are the only eligible area to receive the broadcasts.

Taking the piss here but gee wouldn't that be exciting aye . :P 24hr Mildura news

Bet your kind of glad you can't get it .

BTW how is your FTA digital working at the moment ?

Freeze ,freeze ,pixallate ,pixallate,freeze freeze,pixallate,pixallate,

but then I'm only guessing <_<

Viewer,

The ABCNews 24 is part of the ABC multiplex, where as the VAST news is from commercial TV stations.

The VAST news channel will have to be for the following regions.

Have you thought that the VAST signals may as well be the same signals sent to the Mildura/Sunraysia to the satellite. This will give them their local news without an additional news channel! It is only when regional SA comes on line that the VAST news channel will be required.

Remote Central & NE Australia (NT & Qld)

Remote South Eastern (NSW, Vic, SA, Tas)

Southern NSW/ACT

Broken Hill NSW

Griffith & MIA NSW

Northern NSW/SE Qld

Mt Isa

Regional Queensland

Riverland SA

Spencer Gulf SA

South East SA/Far Western SE Vic

Tasmania

Eastern Vic

Mildura/Sunraysia

Regional Victoria/Western Victoria

Geraldton WA

Kalgoorlie WA

South West/Great Southern

Western Zone (Satellite)

Others might like comment on the local content of news bulletins in these regions. Is there more than one commercial network providing local content on bulletins.

Some licence areas are separated internally and others are combined.

AlanH

Have you thought that the VAST signals may as well be the same signals sent to the Mildura/Sunraysia to the satellite.

Except for that whole troublesome MPEG-4 AVC terrestrial issue. :rolleyes:

Viewer,

The ABCNews 24 is part of the ABC multiplex, where as the VAST news is from commercial TV stations.

AlanH

I know ABC24 hour news is different, I'm not pointing to that.

We were told, if I recollect properly, that all different news playouts from one zonal area will play out consecutively, and thus wait in the queue, and your bulliten will arive.

If that's the case, and as Bellotv is right in saying that I'm taking the piss, as I am. .....I though Conjob said they would get their local tv news....so...are the Mildurian VAST satellite subscribers getting what they were promised? The only way we'll know is if our local informer can enlighten us...I hope.

Bellotv....Prime from Moombil is similar to the attempt at trying to get VAST....I have never known Prime to be so bad as it is lately...I usually have to default back to 7Central on my Aurora setup to watch 7 stuff.

O'h...and AlanH...whenever I watch 7Central from Qld, guess what, it shows exactly all the programmes that 7 and Prime show Australia wide....I know you can't believe that, as they show all that local content you tell me about, but you know what, other than their news at 1 x time a day, you guessed it, they are the same...how about that hey.

Oh look...I can now find data from the digitalready site as well..

Will there be local news and content on the satellite service and how will viewers access such content?

Because the satellite service will cover the whole of Australia, special arrangements are needed to ensure that local news and information are provided to viewers. All regional commercial broadcasters will contribute the local news content from each market they operate in to the new satellite service.

The VAST service will provide viewers in regional and remote Australia with access to the local news services currently broadcast by the commercial broadcasters in their relevant terrestrial licence areas.

The news content will be aggregated into a dedicated local news service which will be part of the satellite service. Satellite viewers would use their remote controls to select the news service on which their local news content is broadcast. News services available via the satellite service will not be shown at the same time as those shown terrestrially but will be available as soon as possible after production of live-to-air bulletins are complete on terrestrial services. Details about the timing and presentation are still being determined by the commercial broadcasters.

The ABC and SBS news services will be provided by the ABC and SBS on the satellite, not as part of the news channel. ABC services will be state based, and SBS’s nightly national news bulletins will be broadcast at 6.30pm and 9.30pm. The new ABC 24-hour news channel will also be provided when it commences.

Edited by viewer

Bellotv....Prime from Moombil is similar to the attempt at trying to get VAST....I have never known Prime to be so bad as it is lately...

Prime from Mt. Moombil seems to have (or has recently had anyway) ongoing signal quality issues, as bellotv has reported in this thread.

Cheers.

Edited by ChaosMaster

Viewer,

The ABC and SBS will get the same services as their state capital. They are not part of VAST, which is commercial only.

The only reason for an additional news channel is for those living in blackspots rather than those in the appropriate remote areas which will be in the normal news time slots as it is now. I would expect that the VAST news channel will have each regions' local news bulletin loaded into a playout computer and they are played in rotation continuously. I would expect it will be up to individual networks to upload new content as they create it.

AlanH

Viewer,

The ABC and SBS will get the same services as their state capital. They are not part of VAST, which is commercial only.

The only reason for an additional news channel is for those living in blackspots rather than those in the appropriate remote areas which will be in the normal news time slots as it is now. I would expect that the VAST news channel will have each regions' local news bulletin loaded into a playout computer and they are played in rotation continuously. I would expect it will be up to individual networks to upload new content as they create it.

AlanH

VAST is for all network types, commercial and national, not just commercial.

The Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST) service will be operated by Southern Cross Media and Imparja, and is funded by the Australian Government. It will ensure access to free-to-air TV for viewers in the Remote Central and Eastern Australia licence area, and those in regional and metropolitan areas who are unable to receive their local TV services terrestrially.

This includes standard definition programming broadcast by Southern Cross Media and Imparja, sourced from the Seven, Nine and Ten commercial networks and their new digital channels GO!, 7TWO and ONEHD, as well as all of the ABC and SBS channels, including ABC2, ABC3 and SBS TWO.

http://www.digitalready.gov.au/newsletter/...te-service.aspx

Viewer,

AlanH

Why does digitalready say satellite viewers will get ABC and SBS...For the first time all free-to-air digital television services, including the original three commercial and two national channels, and the new digital services such as ABC2, ABC3, SBS TWO, GO!, 7TWO and ONE HD, will be available to all Australians, no matter where they live. and you say they won't?

I get more confused everyday...ABC and SBS not on Vast?

Viewer,

The each satellite transponder retransmits the DVB-S2/MPEG-4 signal from a network. This signal contains all multiplex contains all the programs which a network is transmitting terrestrially.

DBCDE is promising the same number of programs will be avialable to remote viewers by 2014. Since DVB-S2 is being used there will be a number of programs from that network on that digital signal which is contained in a satellite channel repeated by the satellite transponder.

The ABC & SBS have a different problem to VAST. This is because commercial regional programs in the Eastern states are not using public satellite channels. The ABC, SBS and WA country commercials use satellite distribution to transmitters. This complicates the distribution to Direct to Home satellite signals. A change to DVB-S2 is incompatible with existing satellite receivers feeding transmitters.

This will have to be resolved prior to the start of 2014 to ensure that all remote and blackspot viewers get all ABC & SBS services.

DigitalJ VAST is owned by Imparja and Macquarie Media. It does not include ABC or SBS. This has already been extensively discussed. Ther is links to the references at the start of this strand.

AlanH

DigitalJ VAST is owned by Imparja and Macquarie Media. It does not include ABC or SBS. This has already been extensively discussed. Ther is links to the references at the start of this strand.

AlanH

Try reading what I quoted again.

I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned that ABC and SBS are encrypted on the VAST boxes, same as the commercial channels, which surely confirms the satellite broadcast of ABC and SBS is part of VAST.

With the self-help sites that are being converted from analogue to digital, the commercial stations are paying to convert the ABC and SBS transmitters. I haven't read it anywhere, but I suspect there is a similar deal for VAST in that SC and Imparja are funding (with the Government's money) the transmission of ABC and SBS.