Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

True.

So how is everyones VAST? Do tell. Awfully quiet 'round here lately.

I've noticed they're doing those stupid ad break loops on Go now. :( Also, AFL from Ten is no longer on SCTV North and South. Still on Aurora's one though.

Edited by Smacca

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

? Still doesn't come up to $650 for regional South Australia.

Oh dear, I have succumbed, and am guilty of bloating what could be an otherwise useful thread. :(

Re subsidy: From what I understood from my letter to Sen. Conroy was that "... if you are in receipt of a FULL (not part!) pension, then you will get a subsidy for VAST". FULL pension means being nearly destitute.

A VAST box costs about $270 and an Aurora kit with a Strong Aurora decoder cost me $450 with an 85 cm dish. The Strong box probably retails for about $120, so if I am correct and you try to instal VAST yourself you could be up for about $450 - $120 + $270 or $600.

Am I right or are you wrong?

Re subsidy: From what I understood from my letter to Sen. Conroy was that "... if you are in receipt of a FULL (not part!) pension, then you will get a subsidy for VAST". FULL pension means being nearly destitute.

A VAST box costs about $270 and an Aurora kit with a Strong Aurora decoder cost me $450 with an 85 cm dish. The Strong box probably retails for about $120, so if I am correct and you try to instal VAST yourself you could be up for about $450 - $120 + $270 or $600.

Am I right or are you wrong?

You are correct that only those persons who are in receipt of a FULL benefit pension are eligible for the VAST rebate.

The total cost of a VAST installation varies with equipment required (except the decoder, which is standard in all VAST installations) such as dish size, type of mounting, cabling length, ease of access to roof etc.... labour time and in some cases, travel.

In more-remote areas, travel cost for the installer is quite significant, but is subsidised by the Govt, so all the applicant pays is $220.00

• 4 months later...

True.

So how is everyones VAST? Do tell. Awfully quiet 'round here lately.

I've noticed they're doing those stupid ad break loops on Go now. sad.gif Also, AFL from Ten is no longer on SCTV North and South. Still on Aurora's one though.

Hello,

How is my VAST??

Did I really expect it to be better than Aurora? Yes.

Was I dissapointed? Of course. So many more channels with so much more bad programming, new Wintal pvr 210hd skips the ads brilliantly, we record and delete everything. And how do you read the black epg text on the selected deep blue background, really smart move. And it reboots at least 1-2 times a night, talk about a pain in the proverbial.

Bought a UEC dsd 4121 last xmas, 2 weeks to get activated, my fault mainly trying to get on thru xmas break probably.

AND IT DIED YESTERDAY. 2-3 WEEKS OUT OF WARRANTY. (no lights,zilch,nada........?power supply?.....cant open it, voids warranty sticker.)

The dealer is going to send it back. Will i hold my breath waitng for a replacement? I dont think so.

Will i get another one? I dont really have a choice being well out of Terrestial range.

And the Aurora UEC dsd 990, 4 yrs old and keeps chugging along. (So far, touchwood and turn 3 times.)

UEC have a monopoly i guess. $269 seems a lot for $50 worth of electronics.

Anyone else out there with VAST UEC problems?

Cheers.

Almost any manufacturer will cover something a short period out of warranty especially if you push the point while calling them. But if not, it wont matter if you void the warranty sticker. Its likely a few bubbled caps and repairable much cheaper than a new box, Ive installed quite a few VAST systems (my area includes "Remote" areas, where you get it basically no questions asked (other than address)), and havent seen any fail thus far. Maybe also check you are/were giving the box adequate ventilation, but more likely you just got the occasional lemon that exists in all electronic items.