Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

If I get the following text when I enter an address, can I apply now for it?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx New South Wales xxxx, Australia

Your search indicates that you are in the:

NORTHERN RIVERS

switchover area, which switches by

2nd Half 2012

No Coverage

You are likely to have consistent difficulty viewing any digital channels from this site. Digital TV may be available from another site listed in the Transmitter Information section. You can convert to the VAST service to view free-to-air TV.

Or, my aunty gets this message,

xxxxxxxxxxx

REMOTE CENTRAL & EASTERN AUSTRALIA

2nd Half 2013

No Coverage

There is no predicted terrestrial TV coverage designed to serve this location. But coverage may be available from another site listed in the Transmitter Information box. You can convert to the VAST Satellite Service to view free-to-air digital TV.

viewer,

No unfortunately, unless your location falls in the remote areas (see AlanH's maps). If you are not in this area, you will not be able to get VASt until 6 months prior to the date listed for switchover in your area (2nd half 2012 for you, 2nd half 2013 for your Aunty)

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, my aunty gets this message,

xxxxxxxxxxx

2nd Half 2013

No Coverage

There is no predicted terrestrial TV coverage designed to serve this location. But coverage may be available from another site listed in the Transmitter Information box. You can convert to the VAST Satellite Service to view free-to-air digital TV.

The 'Remote Central & Eastern' means your aunty can get VAST now, just get a second box at her address and use it at yours if you can't get terrestrial digital.

Hmmm...

1..No unfortunately, unless your location falls in the remote areas ....Cheers....Dave

2..The 'Remote Central & Eastern' means your aunty can get VAST now

xxxxxxxxxxx

2nd Half 2013

No Coverage

The vote is 1-1 at this stage.

Viewer,

Actually, for your Aunty, it is 2-0, if the GRFD website says "Remote Central & Eastern Australia", then she will be able to get it, but you can't.

Unless, by saying "vote is 1-1", you mean 1 vote, you can't get VAST, and 1 vote, your Aunty can, then yes, that is how it seems at the moment.

I agree with your previous comments that it seems totally unfair that, with a working system, only certain areas can access it, but that is the government for you I guess. The best we can do is complain to Mr Conroy and hope enough people complain that it makes them rethink.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by HillsTas

Dave,

There are parts of Tasmania which are in the remote area licence area See the Get the best reception Regional Tas for a link. People in that area will be able to get VAST from 15 December. However, if they are not in the yellow area, then they are in a blackspot in a different licence area. For blackspots, they will only get access in the 6 months prior to that area's analog switchoff.

The reason for the delays in blackspots is to ensure that the licencees get the maximum number of potential. Also the ACMA is measuring the field strengths in advance of the analog switch off. These are designed to find blackspots. It takes a while to survey the whole of non remote Australia.

AlanH

Dave,

There are parts of Tasmania which are in the remote area licence area See the Get the best reception Regional Tas for a link. People in that area will be able to get VAST from 15 December. However, if they are not in the yellow area, then they are in a blackspot in a different licence area. For blackspots, they will only get access in the 6 months prior to that area's analog switchoff.

The reason for the delays in blackspots is to ensure that the licencees get the maximum number of potential. Also the ACMA is measuring the field strengths in advance of the analog switch off. These are designed to find blackspots. It takes a while to survey the whole of non remote Australia.

AlanH

Alan,

Yes I am fully aware of this Alan, and I have not said anything to the contrary to this info.

Cheers

Dave

Marc,

Yes I saw it, but remain skeptical until they tell us HOW to apply for this...

And, will this be the same for where viewer is?

Cheers

Dave

You & me both.

However, I am advised that after 15/12/2010, filling in the appropriate field on this form will enable it to happen.

I will wait to see if this is the case.

Marc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in the zone."Remote Central & Eastern Australia".So i am entitled to get vast from december 15.I rang the help line to ask how to get the ball rolling so we could watch tv.The reply was i could not do any thing till our household was contacted.When asked how this would occur ie letterbox drops or some other means they could not answer.Most people i have talked to in my area had not even heard of vast,and none knew they were entitled to hook up from december 15.

I asked if I could by my own equipment and install so i could use this service when available in 9 days time.The reply was i had to wait to be notified .No information could be given on the subsidy scheme except wait and sometime you will be notified.It seems to me that the helpdesk people know less than what can be read on this forum.

The start date of december 15 is a complete crock when you can not get any information on how to be ready then.

Any information appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Firstly, are you an Aurora receiver at the moment? If so you get no subsidy. You have from now to the end of 2013 to buy a VAST receiver to connect to your existing dish.

You will be able to enable it by filling out the registration form after 15th December, provided you have the UEC brand VAST receiver required.

If you are are not using an Aurora receiver but are using a conventional TV, then you will have to wait until Imparja and 7 Central, ABC & SBS install transmitters. If they are not going to install transmitters in your location, then you are entitiled to a subsidy and yes you will have to wait for a letter. This will will depend on the installation timetable of the remote broadcasters. If you buy your own, without the letter you will not receive the subsidy.

Go to the first post in "Get the best reception" for your state. Click on the transmitter list and open the file. Any locations with blue backgrounds will get transmitters installe. There may be others which are as yet undecided.

AlanH

Hi Jim,

Have a chat to the retailers flogging DSD4121's.

Whilst the email below is lacking a bit; it's got the basics right. The info on the Kristal site is fine.

Cheers

Tue 7/12/2010 11:41 AM

Hello xxxx,

We have the UEC DSD4121 in stock now.

ABC and SBS channels will activate automatically.

The commercial channels will be activated on or after December 15th. If you currently are an Aurora subscriber, then you can apply for the Commercial channels now for activation on or after 15th December.

If you wish to place an order and read more about the service please go here-

http://www.kristalelectronics.com/product_...products_id=242

Thank you

Philip Ingegneri

Kristal Electronics Australia

Edited by wahroonga farm

The ABC and SBS will become encrypted next year.

Supporting evidence, please.

...well actually ABC and SBS are encrypted on VAST already, but as far as restricting access to them goes, the ABC seems to have no such plans, as indicated on their website. Indeed it suggests precisely the opposite.

...but let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a good scare campaign... :rolleyes:

Edited by ChaosMaster

BammBBBam,

The Aurora card does not work on VAST receivers. As I said currently ABC & SBS is not encrypted but will be next year.

There are other manufacturers making DVB-S2/MPEG-4 satellite receivers which have card encryption. It will be the serial number in the EPROMs which will have to match the database used by the registration computers which will have to be sorted out.

AlanH

BammBBBam,

The Aurora card does not work on VAST receivers. As I said currently ABC & SBS is not encrypted but will be next year.

There are other manufacturers making DVB-S2/MPEG-4 satellite receivers which have card encryption. It will be the serial number in the EPROMs which will have to match the database used by the registration computers which will have to be sorted out.

AlanH

Wrong again, AnalH

ABC and SBS have always been encrypted on both Aurora and VAST... they are currently encrypted.

The UEC decoder/smartcard comes with ABC and SBS activated for a trial period ending Jan 31, 2011, after which the decoder and smartcard will have to be registered to continue receiving those channels.

I am awaiting clarification from the DBCDE if viewers in non TV1 map areas will actually be able to register their VAST decoder & smartcard for continued reception of ABC & SBS channels after January 2011, or if they will be denied access to VAST totally, until 6 months prior to the analogue terrestrial switchoff for their area, despite the fact they may be in a blackspot without current or planned digital terrestrial transmissions for their area.

Edited by mtv

BammBBBam,

The Aurora card does not work on VAST receivers.

He never said they would. Idiot.

As I said currently ABC & SBS is not encrypted but will be next year.

You're wrong, and if you actually had a satellite box you would know this. All channels on VAST are encrypted, including ABC and SBS. You need a VAST card to unlock VAST channels, just like you need an Aurora card to unlock Aurora channels.

Edited by Smacca

All but MTV,

Why don't you worry about the real problems. For example, You newly move to a blackspot area. You have no satellite receiver. It is not worth buying an Aurora receiver for less than 3 years. However you cannot authorise a VAST receiver. These rules would prevent you from watching any TV until 6 months prior to the analog switchoff in that area.

I was refering to the access being available as MTV said. After all next year there will be no access unless authorised.

It's really irrelevant anyway because the large range of commercial programs are not available unless authorised.

Bambbbam,

Authorisation will give you a full range of VAST transmissions which is to be expected. I was trying to explain that someone who lives in a blackspot area and has a current Aurora box, wants to get a VAST box. These will not be authorised until within the analog switchoff in that area. So they can't get reception ahead of others in that area.

SMACCA,

I have all along said you have to have a VAST card, because their is a relationship between the encryption and the seed used is rlated to the burnt in serial number in the EPROM.

Unless you have a DVB-S2/MPEG-4 receiver you will not know if it is encrypted or not.

Chaosmaster,

So my statement in the early days of VAST that it was DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 was scare mongering was it?

AlanH

Chaosmaster,

So my statement in the early days of VAST that it was DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 was scare mongering was it?

Err...what the heck?

What does that have to do with anything currently being discussed. I never opposed the idea of using DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 for VAST.

I was refering to the access being available as MTV said. After all next year there will be no access unless authorised.

The information on the ABC website re. VAST seems to imply that as of mid December this year you can register for ABC services via VAST even if ineligible for commercial services.

If you are not eligible for a commercial television service but would still like to view the ABC Digital television services, register at: https://www.myvast.com.au/. This site will be available from mid December 2010.

Please note that ABC services are available to all houses within Australia no matter where they are.

Edited by ChaosMaster

Bambbbam,

Authorisation will give you a full range of VAST transmissions which is to be expected. I was trying to explain that someone who lives in a blackspot area and has a current Aurora box, wants to get a VAST box. These will not be authorised until within the analog switchoff in that area. So they can't get reception ahead of others in that area.

Well, no, you said an Aurora card won't work in a VAST box. You say a lot of things you don't mean, don't you?

SMACCA,

I have all along said you have to have a VAST card, because their is a relationship between the encryption and the seed used is rlated to the burnt in serial number in the EPROM.

Unless you have a DVB-S2/MPEG-4 receiver you will not know if it is encrypted or not.

I have a DVB-S2 receiver, which I used to post screenshots of VAST when it was free-to-air for testing purposes. Remember? They're those pictures you still refuse to believe are legitimate.

Get a VAST box, then we might start taking you seriously. Until then, you're nothing more than a troll.