Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

Now it tells them that ABC and SBS channels are encrypted .they still get NITV

NITV is FTA.

They prolly have not had the card in a receiver and turned on for ages and it has missed vital key updates.

Tell them to leave it on overnight and it will get the updates if it is entitled to them.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them to leave it on overnight and it will get the updates if it is entitled to them.

That might depend on how often the relevant EMMs are sent. Hopefully leaving it on overnight will be sufficient, but if all else fails, Aurora viewers are instructed (on the Aurora 'info' channel) to contact Optus for immediate reactivation when this occurs.

Cheers,

ChaosMaster.

Edited by ChaosMaster

That might depend on how often the relevant EMMs are sent. Hopefully leaving it on overnight will be sufficient, but if all else fails, Aurora viewers are instructed (on the Aurora 'info' channel) to contact Optus for immediate reactivation when this occurs.

Cheers,

ChaosMaster.

As ChaosMaster indicates, Optus provide an auto activation service. Details on Ch1.

Dial 1300301680, option 3, follow the prompts and enter the card number (on the card), for immediate re-activation for activated cards.

Secret Samsung TV With 1TB Of Storage To Be Launched In OZ

A brand new HD TV is set to be launched in Australia that includes a 1 terabyte hard drive, IP connectivity, built-in Foxtel, Telstra BigPond movies as well as 3D TV technology.

Very sorry for deviating and bringing this up again, but with regards to possible new forms of DRM that may be incorporated into any such 'Pay-TV' IDTVs...:

(Found this quite by accident while looking for something else, actually...)

Introducing 'CI+'!!! :D

... :mellow: ... :o ...

It seems to be built around the same kind of 'concept' as HDCP, just for raw broadcast streams rather than uncompressed video.

Samsung was part of the consortium that developed this, and NDS seems to be interested in it. I have little doubt it would be included in any 'Foxtel' IDTV.

I wonder if any future VAST IDTV (if ever such a thing sees the light of day) might use this as well...it's in keeping with the current 'theme' for VAST anyway...

Edited by ChaosMaster

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=89720

This would seem a good thing for the persons wanting a VAST / Aurora set up that we have always said.

Perhaps if 9 were able to gobble WIN, NBN ( they already have Imparja ) then all the main channels would be the same, ( ABC, SBS, 7, 9,10 ) regardless of country or city. They could scrap VAST / AURORA and you get the feeds by satellite or antenna, with no encryption required.

BRING IT ON.

Imparja close enough to NINE. Owned by Australian Aborigines, which is the taxpayer in effect. Wiki also says "On 3 February 2008, Imparja Television updated its logo removing the emblem, which had been present on the logo for two decades. The logo change coincided with Imparja dropping Network Ten affiliation, becoming a sole Nine Network affiliate"

I couldn't really give a continental who owns each other, and yeah I am wrong technically, but every man and his dog sees the country channels lined up with the city big brothers and just adds are different.

I know the other 2 aren't part of VAST, I simply draw an long bow, hoping if what was said by Conroy gets up, runs the full course, and the minows get swallowed up, I am more likely to get what I want straight away, rather than the farce that VAST actually is. If you don't agree that VAST is stupid the way it is, then I see it you don't understand the frustration of the out of city viewer.

I reiterate, I HOPE the conglomerates smother the bushies out and we get the same everywhere and cut out the crap we put up with now.

Also Alan, I note you seem to sit on the side of the stations, from my perspective, defending both them and government policy. Without quoting their media releases, or anything, I am interested to know what you actually think should happen, if you were in a position of being told to wait 2 more years to get VAST, when you can't watch analogue or digital fta now?

Am I wrong in thinking that you get an adequate terrestrial service and don't understand what it is like to be without? Unfortunately, that is what I perceive in things you write, albeit, I may be wrong?

Viewer,

You should read my reply to digitalJ.

I suspect you will not care to much once the digital rollout comes to the North Coast of NSW. Then you can have VAST instead of Southern CrossTen NBN and Prime Northern.

I am not necessarily sitting on the side of the stations. I just want to point out how it really is. There is investors money bound up in this however I am not one of them.

What I don't want is the same programs across the whole nation with no local programming. We don't all live in Sydney or Melbourne.

AlanH

Viewer,

You should read my reply to digitalJ.

I suspect you will not care to much once the digital rollout comes to the North Coast of NSW. Then you can have VAST instead of Southern CrossTen NBN and Prime Northern.

I am not necessarily sitting on the side of the stations. I just want to point out how it really is.

What I don't want is the same programs across the whole nation with no local programming. We don't all live in Sydney or Melbourne.

AlanH

Grasp it man...why the heck should I have to wait two more years. Nothing additional is being done at the transmission site of Mt Moombil between now and 2013. Digital has been here for ages, and the take up is high. Coffs Harbour even gets the analogue converted to digital from Bruxner. In most eyes, the digital roll out has happened, it is the shut off of analogue totally in 2013 you refer to. Why should regions have to wait when it is known nothing is changing, and on top of that, the regional broadcaster doesn't want to do anything to better their coverage either. VAST is for all Australians...GIVE IT TO THEM...IT IS THERE NOW. C'mon man, don't tell me the programming is different...the only thing different is the local news, and that's it.

Edited by viewer

Viewer,

There is no agreement between DBCDE and GWN/WIN for WA satellite coverage like VAST as yet. Switchon is unlikely until the last half of 2013.

Terrestrial Commercial TV in WA has 200,000 people in the SW with no digital commercial TV and there is only 2 analog TV signals.

Only Central Agricultural, Kalgoorlie, Karratha and one tiny village have 3 commercial DTV programs which have only just started. They can't get any other programs unless more transmitters are installed.

The rest of WA has Aurora containing GWN & WIN instead of SCM and Imparja. With exception of those locations mentioned above analog retransmitters are used.

In VAST territory the remote areas of SA, NSW, Qld and NT will all have to wait until the last half of 2013.

You should also think about having AFL all the time, which is what is played in NT instead of RL. As far as programming goes, you should also consider advertising as it is used to sustain local businesses.

The point is you are not alone.

AlanH

'local programming' PFFFFT.

The only programming that is remotely local, and not even on all networks, is news and most of it involves stories that have nothing to do with the local area. And no, alanh, advertising is NOT programming. The viewers don't give a hoot about the ads. Hence anti-ad skipping provisions in your darling beloved freeview crippled receivers.

The actual programming that people watch is 99.9999% identical across the board.

The only programming that is remotely local, and not even on all networks, is news and most of it involves stories that have nothing to do with the local area. And no, alanh, advertising is NOT programming. The viewers don't give a hoot about the ads. Hence anti-ad skipping provisions in your darling beloved freeview crippled receivers.

The actual programming that people watch is 99.9999% identical across the board.

Thank you DrP...somone who can see reality.

took the words right out of my mouth.. or post!!!

alanh,

really, the only differences between a metro station and its regional affiliate/s are news, ads and the regional affiliate generally has more of the half hour home shopping type programs than the metro version does.

As far as news goes, take prime news as an example, we have 1 30 minute bulletin to cover all areas from lower north coast to the QLD border from sea to mountains (New England get a separate news bulletin), look at all the towns in that area, generally some of the bigger towns like Forster/tuncurry, taree, Port Macquarie, Kempsey, Coffs Harbour, Grafton, Lismore, Ballina/Byron Bay, Tweed Heads etc, might be lucky enough to get 1 or 2 news items in that whole half hour that is relevant to their area, people can get much more local news from either their local newspaper or by going to an internet website. Viewers generally don't care 1 bit about what ads they get and they certainly don't care about home shopping programs.

All that viewers care about are the programs available to them, so to the viewer, there is no difference between the metro version and the regional version.

People want equal access to content regardless of where they live, they don't want certain things forced upon them for being in a regional area that they don't have to put up with in the city.

DigitalJ

The regional networks tried to have a single regional bulletin in regional Qld. Remember that Qld has more people living out of the capital city than in the rest of the state. After all the complaints, the ACMA set up an enquiry which then brought out the legal changes in the link above.

Why does VAST have a Southern and Northern licence areas with Remote WA being a third? Once the commercials follow the SBS lead of a national footprint (with the exception of time zone variations and State specific advertising) it is then almost impossible to introduce any variation.

Once the digital rollout has been paid for there may be more opportunity to increase regional programming. Remember that once the analog switchoff is complete, the commercials will not have to pay for maintenance of old transmitters and the addition of 3-D and or extra programs will only need DVB-T2 modulators in all terrestrial transmitters, some extra MPEG-4 compressors and of course more studio equipment and program production costs.

Whilst viewers may not care for advertising, it is needed to pay for the commercial stations to operate. Local businesses will not wish to pay for their advertising to be covering areas where they cannot reach. Politicians also wish to televise locally appropriate promises at election time. The poor local news is because the NINE network without WIN's affiliation fees would have run at a loss last year.

Your example of Prime Northern, NBN and Southern CrossTen, look at what happens in other places. I suggest you go to their websites along with WIN and look at the number of news rooms around the country. Program names do not always tell you that a program is different. For example Today Tonight, has different editions in SA and WA.

Remember that if VAST is used you would have no local stories at all. Their local stories on VAST will be for the remote north or remote south depending on which one you are in.

The additional channel with commercial local news bulletins will not be required because there would be no source.

AlanH

Your example of Prime Northern, NBN and Southern CrossTen, look at what happens in other places. I suggest you go to their websites along with WIN and look at the number of news rooms around the country. Program names do not always tell you that a program is different. For example Today Tonight, has different editions in SA and WA.

I've been watching Prime news for years, there are references in the 1 bulletin to areas from Tweed Heads in the North To south of Forster/Tuncurry (Excluding the hunter), in essence, Middle Brother, Mt Moombil and Richmond/tweed all send out the same bulletin, so what I said earlier is accurate.

Most regional news services are padded out with items that are definitely not 'local'. I can provide examples from litterally any 'local' news service that anyone cares to mention to demonstrate this. Additional news programs could easily be put into the rotation if widespread access were given to the new DTH service.

The rest of the actual programs that people watch are 99% identical across all networks. Even the briefest perusal of program guides reveals this. To suggest anything else is blatently contradictory to reality.

As I pointed out some time ago alanh* the current broadcast arrangements are there to maintain the financial viability of the regional networks. If the regional networks are absorbed by the metro broadcasters the entire game changes.

*the last time 'local' content was bought up alanh disputed that financial viability was the reason

Edited by DrP

Viewer,

Imparja is not owned by Nine at all, they transmit their programs and their own but they are not owned by them.

WIN covers the same population as Nine/NBN. Neither of which are part of VAST

Southern Cross is owned by Macquarie Media, which is owned by the Macquarie Bank.

So your wish is unlikely.

AlanH

Alan, as of March, Southern Cross Media Group is no longer officially 'owned' by Macquarie Bank following a restructure and internalisation of management. I think Macquarie Bank owns around 30% and has two board members. But that is not control.

Edited by newtaste

Sheez...Now I can really see why you fellas get so frustrated by the responses from the singular member of the forum that sits in the corner with his light off.

I just don't know why I keep raising my blood pressure to these silly heights when reading some of his responses.

I'm going to have to do like Bart does..

"I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,

I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,I must refrain from commenting, I must refrain from commenting,

The regional networks tried to have a single regional bulletin in regional Qld. Remember that Qld has more people living out of the capital city than in the rest of the state. After all the complaints, the ACMA set up an enquiry which then brought out the legal changes in the link above.

Remember that if VAST is used you would have no local stories at all. Their local stories on VAST will be for the remote north or remote south depending on

Alan, if you are as smart as you claim to be you should know that this is a non-argument for current Aurora/blackspot viewers, as they already don't get any 'local' news/ads, etc. However VAST will allow them access to the same programs seen by metro viewers (which they are currently denied), as well as a dedicated channel containing the so-called 'local news bulletins' you keep going on about (thus defeating completely your argument of VAST resulting in no local news). I would guess the ads on VAST would have a national (or at least relevant to the zone in question) focus, so again I don't see much argument re. 'irrelevant' ads.

As for what you keep ranting on about encryption and tight access control for VAST being necessary so people don't lose local content - this is contradictory on your behalf. If people cared so much about local ads and such, why would the networks have any fear of them using VAST instead of their local services? Think about it. The answer is not difficult.

Edited by ChaosMaster

Newtaste,

The link to Macquarie bank was accessed just prior to posting. Who is the major shareholder?

Are you sure that you are not confusing this with Broadcast Australia which is now owned by a Canadian Pension Fund. It was owned by the Macquarie Bank as well.

AlanH