Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are the government just going to contract this out to the large contracting companies??

Apparently so.

On 16 June 2010, Hills Industries and Skybridge (Australia) Pty Ltd, were both selected as the successful contractors in the Riverland, Spencer Gulf and Mt Gambier and South-East of South Australia and Broken Hill switchover regions.

Source

DrP & M'bozo,

I have not mentioned any prices in this strand, only references to the digitalready website.

The maximum subsidies are $700 for NT, Qld and WA obviously for bigger dishes for tropical areas.

AlanH

DrP & M'bozo,

I have not mentioned any prices in this strand, only references to the digitalready website.

The maximum subsidies are $700 for NT, Qld and WA obviously for bigger dishes for tropical areas.

AlanH

Not only has alanh mentioned prices several times in this 'strand' but even in the same post that he denies doing same.... fact!

And suddenly the subsidy figures being stated by alanh has altered to fit the recently provided information by another forum member. Is this another case of alanh not quite knowing what he is talking about but presenting his knowlegde as fact none-the-less?

As for bigger dishes requiring a larger subsidy, while its true that bigger dishes do cost more there shouldn't be $300 difference if the dish is the issue! $300 difference buys one heck of a large dish. Let's face it, unless there is a lot of profitteering going on, an 85cm dish (which should do the job unless you live down a well) can be had for less than $100 for the general public. Are they going to be installing 2 to 3 metre dishes? Some how I don't think so therefore there must be something else to the price difference.

Edited by DrP

According to the subsidy list, Cohuna Victoria is going to get VASTed. That's a town of nearly 3000 people on the Murray River. So much for any pretence of being "remote" or having less than 500 people. This is clearly just a commercial-broadcaster-driven list of places where they do not want to fund translator replacement.

Regards,

Will

So much for any pretence of being "remote" or having less than 500 people.

Will,

It's always possible this may change over time, as the result of fine tuning.

In the area I usually install, two translators serving less than 500 people each (although this may not be the case by 2013) will be upgraded to digital (subject to satisfactory negotiations). This is in an area that may be only marginally friendly to the current federal government.

Now, call me a cynic. I see the Mallee area is not so friendly to those who govern at the moment, and this is not likely to change in a hurry. This might mean there would be no benefit to pork barrel a digital translator for the local area. :D

Cheers,

Marc.

Will,

The original Government policy was towns of <500 people. Since then a deal has been made between the Minister & the broadcasters. The DBCDE pays for the satellite costs and the broadcasters pay for the digital installation & maintenance of around 100 self help sites. As you can see this list is slowly being revealed.

If a community in a blackspot does not want to use satellite receivers they can lobby the 5 networks to all change their minds or raise the money to install & maintain 5 DTV transmitters. This has to happen before the end of 2013.

The DBCDE expects each install to cost $200 - $350 more. So for Cohuna there maybe around 1200 dwellings x $200 = $240,000 - $420,000. Cohuna residents may wish to contact the organisation running the current analog translators to see if they wish to do an upgrade.

Alanh

The DBCDE expects each install to cost $200 - $350 more

More than what? On information currently available, the DBCDE expects the householder contribution to be in the range $200-350.

On VAST installation day, pay the household contribution of $200 to $350

The actual installation cost is probably a known unknown.

Marc,

More than the subsidy of $400.

"Over 50 per cent of the VAST cost subsidised

For households eligible for the Satellite Subsidy, this one-off installation charge will be substantially reduced by the subsidy amount, to less than half the total cost of installation, resulting in a household payment of around $200 to $350." DBCDE.

The receivers only are being advertised for $269 regardless of online supplier.

AlanH

Mysattv online decoder registration page now updated

http://www.mysattv.com.au/registration.aspx

roblea

Tks Roblea,

OWNER'S CONTACT DETAILS

Do you have any other cards registered for VAST or Aurora/RABS? If YES, please list existing Smartcard numbers...

Now there is the first clue that existing Aurora remote AND black spot viewers (authorised for commercial Aurora reception via ACMA B58), will automatically gain approval ... when the gun goes off.

Digital slip: Ouyen, Underbool and Walpeup see black

BY JONO PECH, GABRIELLE MCLEOD

16 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

THE digital switchover is not the success it was thought to be.

As Mildura residents sat back to enjoy The Footy Show last night, households in Ouyen, Underbool and Walpeup suffered pixelation, poor audio and, in some cases, black screens.

While they have been quiet until now, many remote area residents are complaining of a poor signal since the switch off on June 30.

The Digital Switchover Taskforce yesterday said new input filters would be installed at the Ouyen transmitter by August 3 to reduce interference in the town’s digital signal, which is re-transmitted to Walpeup and Underbool.

Adjustments have been made to modify the Ouyen transmitter for all UHF services including Prime, MDT (Ten) and SBS, but it will be almost three weeks until all the right parts arrive.

Member for Mallee John Forrest, who for months predicted digital TV chaos, said he was disappointed and upset with the taskforce’s lack of preparation and slow reaction time.

“The taskforce needs to get out here and spend time in people’s lounge rooms,” he said.

“I was assured with the switchoff of the analogue signal, the reliability of digital reception would improve, but that’s not been the outcome for the Mallee Highway and there’s some subsequent work that has to be done now to fix the issue.

“They said once we’ve switched the analogue signal off everything will be sweet – well, it’s not sweet.

“Now we’ve got a delay while they order bits but they should’ve had them handy.

“August is not good enough.

“They should’ve thought about that and had the filters handy to send someone to Underbool, Walpeup and Ouyen straight away.

“There’s a few weekends of football involved in this now, and that’s what they want to watch.”

Mr Forrest said while only a small number of people were receiving poor reception it was simply not good enough.

Digital Switchover Taskforce spokesperson Matt Francis said broadcasters had been working on a solution.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Friday’s Sunraysia Daily 16/7/2010.

source

And another one from the Sunraysia Daily.

There might be a population explosion in Underbool in 9 months time. :)

NEWS NOT SO GOOD

BY JONO PECH

17 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

UNDERBOOL has had its share of TV problems over the years, but in the new digital age reception is worse than ever, residents say.

In the past the town has set up its own self-help TV tower and relied on satellite signals, but even before the digital switchover TV sets could pick up at least one analogue station.

Now the digital signal has so much interference that some households have no choice but to find other ways to amuse themselves.

Elaine Lockett from Underbool said she had not watched news on TV since the June 30 switchover, instead relying on the radio and newspapers to keep up to date.

“My husband goes to bed at 7.30 each night now because he can’t watch the TV,” she said.

“It’s the worst we’ve ever had out here.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Saturday’s Sunraysia Daily 17/7/2010

While the known Tx problems are no doubt a part of it, I wonder how much of the problem is with households that converted at the last possible moment...

...and have 'discovered' that their antenna/distribution system which might have produced tolerable results with analogue, simply isn't adequate for obtaining reliable digital reception? :unsure:

One possible (tongue-in-cheek :P ) scenario:

News: Problem with Tx now fixed.

Resident: That's good, but my TV still doesn't work.

Task Force rep.: Your antenna might not be adequate for digital reception, you may need to get it checked and replaced.

Resident: But I was told that with this new Set-Top thingy, after you fixed the transmitter problem, everything would work alright. My analogue was OK before, why is my antenna suddenly 'not adequate'???

Task Force rep.: Generally, yes. However there are some cases where 'signal quality' (what's that? :o ) is not high enough in the existing antenna system, which may have produced noisy (isn't TV always supposed to look that way?), but watchable pictures on analogue, but will result in digital receivers giving no or intermittent (big technical word!) signal.

Resident: Oh, I hate this! Why do I have to go through all this just to keep watching TV! It was better before! You lot are all hopeless, and you didn't tell us everything we needed to know! I hate this new technology stuff...(rant continues)...

Task Force rep.: Actually, this information was available on our website for...

Resident: I DON'T CARE, YOU'RE ALL HOPELESS! I WON'T BE VOTING FOR THIS GOVERNMENT NEXT TIME!!! (Hangs up)

...and that's how it goes... :rolleyes:

Edited by ChaosMaster

While the known Tx problems are no doubt a part of it, I wonder how much of the problem is with households that converted at the last possible moment...

...and have 'discovered' that their antenna/distribution system which might have produced tolerable results with analogue, simply isn't adequate for obtaining reliable digital reception? :unsure:

One possible (tongue-in-cheek :P ) scenario:

News: Problem with Tx now fixed.

Resident: That's good, but my TV still doesn't work.

Task Force rep.: Your antenna might not be adequate for digital reception, you may need to get it checked and replaced.

Resident: But I was told that with this new Set-Top thingy, after you fixed the transmitter problem, everything would work alright. My analogue was OK before, why is my antenna suddenly 'not adequate'???

Task Force rep.: Generally, yes. However there are some cases where 'signal quality' (what's that? :o ) is not high enough in the existing antenna system, which may have produced noisy (isn't TV always supposed to look that way?), but watchable pictures on analogue, but will result in digital receivers giving no or intermittent (big technical word!) signal.

Resident: Oh, I hate this! Why do I have to go through all this just to keep watching TV! It was better before! You lot are all hopeless, and you didn't tell us everything we needed to know! I hate this new technology stuff...(rant continues)...

Task Force rep.: Actually, this information was available on our website for...

Resident: I DON'T CARE, YOU'RE ALL HOPELESS! I WON'T BE VOTING FOR THIS GOVERNMENT NEXT TIME!!! (Hangs up)

...and that's how it goes... :rolleyes:

My god Chaos ,I think your scenario is more true than you know. :o

I cope that regularly and analog hasn't been switched off here yet

"Forcing us to change again bla bla bla...

was nothing wrong with old antenna ,paper clips and coathangers worked fine ....

just like when they switched off the analog mobile phones ,the digital ones were not as good....

its just forcing people to spend more money ....."

Can't wait for switch off here. :P

Edited by bellotv

Got a call from a person that has Aurora system , Optus card was resisted in VIC apparently.

was only able to get ABC,s and SBS's and NITV obviously . No Impaja or central 7.

Now it tells them that ABC and SBS channels are encrypted .they still get NITV

Is there some switch over issues happening in Victoria that would cause this ?Note that this is in NSW

Edit spelling

Edited by bellotv