Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will,

Oodnadatta is in remote viewing area which consists of northern and Western SA, NT, Inland Qld, Inland NSW (excluding Broken Hill) and blackspots.

Any community funded translators which are not converted to digital by the broadcasters will have their audience subsidised for satellite receivers.

Spencer Gulf Licence Area This is the area which are allowed to repeat the Port Pirie programs.

AlanH

Alan,

I think you have missed Will's point*.

The type of reception for the areas mentioned (Oodnadatta was not in that mix, it referred only to the picture used for illustration on a government web site) is being presented in a non consultative way.

I'll be in the area this weekend, and hope I might get to see one of those letters.

*(correct me if I am wrong)

Once the people decode the letters that they will receive next week and realise that they are not just getting "normal" digital telelvision like they have over the hills in Port Pirie or up the road in Quorn, but are going to need a satellite dish per house and a decoder per TV set and some pay-TV-style access card to be able to use them, most of them are going to be really, really pissed off.

If you're in regional SA, I'd be pleading to be part of VAST - I don't see WIN or GTS/BKN ever providing all the multichannels you will get from VAST, so it will be those with the terrestrial reception that are worse off not the other way around. I mean GTS/BKN don't even do a Nine station and I haven't heard any word of that changing.

If you're in regional SA, I'd be pleading to be part of VAST - I don't see WIN or GTS/BKN ever providing all the multichannels you will get from VAST, so it will be those with the terrestrial reception that are worse off not the other way around. I mean GTS/BKN don't even do a Nine station and I haven't heard any word of that changing.

I partly agree. I agree that initially, those with VAST will receive more channels than those with terrestrial reception. However, for those who will retain terrestrial reception, there are two arguments not to plead for VAST:

One argument is that the advantage of more channels could be short-lived. Once analogue is switched off, the broadcasters, who have been allocated three RF channels, will be under pressure to use those channels to provide a service similar to that provided in Adelaide and the eastern states. In this regard, I don't see WIN as being identical to GTS/BKN. WIN (eventually) did provide the "missing" Nine channel. Indeed, GTS/BKN have not. I think that WIN will provide additional channels quickly. I think that GTS/BKN will only do so when they are forced to do so. Once most or all channels are available terrestrially, what is the advantage of VAST?

The other argument is cost. For the average resident in Melrose, Wilmington, Orroroo or on a nearby farm, this is going to be a significant cost. Most will already have a UHF antenna pointing at the nearby hill. Many, if not most, will have the shiny, new LCD TV that they bought in part to watch widescreen DVDs and in part because of the advertisements telling them that they needed a digital TV before December. They thought that they were ready. They thought they had avoided the extra box by getting the new TV. Now they find themselves forking out big dollars for the dish and the mount for the dish and some extra special cabling and the box for the loungeroom (although they got a $400 rebate for that one) and the new cabinet (so that they could house the satellite box as well as the DVD player) and the box for the kids' room (no rebate for that one). If this is what happens, then these people will be entitled to be upset that a tiny village named Underbool in Victoria had its translator converted by the broadcasters thanks to a subsidy from the federal government. Should the feds, the council or the broadcasters fund terrestrial translators in any place that is currently subject to VAST, how will those who have already spent money on VAST equipment feel?

Regards,

Will

Will,

Firstly, the Minister is promising that all Australians will get 16 channels. So the Spencer Gulf is able to provide the three main SD programs on a single tranmsitter. To provide the other commercial programs an additional pair of transmitters will be required on all DTV transmitter sites. When these extra transmitters will be provided is upto the broadcasters, however I would expect it must have to have prior to 2014.

The DBCDE/broadcasters deal is that the DBCDE will pay for the satellite costs and subsidies for viewers who are either current Aurora viewers or they currently use community funded transmitters which the broadcasters will not convert to digital. The broadcasters have to pay for any community funded transmitterw which are converted to digital. You are correct that the broadcasters decided to pay for translators for Underbool and for new transmitter sites at Ouyen and Robinvale.

As far as subsidies are concened I suggest you go back to post 2 in this strand and get the policies from the sources

For more information

Free to Air Satellite Service News

Consider the options, Have your community pay for 5 DTV transmitters and their maintenance or get a subsidy of $650 for a satellite receiver?

AlanH

Alan..

Where, in the press releases does it say Aurora users are getting switched over to VAST?

Where in the press releases does it say as an Aurora user I will get a subsidy for VAST?

Where in the press releases does it say when I can access the VAST service?

I did find this on the mysat page, about converting later in the year, but can't find no references elsewhere in the press releases.

When is the new service going to be available?

Eligible viewers in Mildura/Sunraysia are now able to watch the programs.

Existing Remote Area viewers who currently watch Southern Cross and Imparja via satellite will be able to convert to this new service later in the year following the Mildura/Sunraysia switchover. We will have more information on this site soon.

Quick edit...this on the mysat page regarding Aurora viewers...scratch question 1...sorry

Existing Remote Area viewers who currently watch Southern Cross and Imparja via satellite will be able to convert to this new service later in the year following the Mildura/Sunraysia switchover. We will have more information on this site soon.

If you could kindly direct link me to three issues above, that would be appreciated.

Edited by viewer

Will,

First of all, don't read anything AlanH posts. He always replies without actually reading the post.

Your points are extremely valid, and highlight the flaws in the rollout of VAST. In my honest, unsourced, completely speculative opinion; the local networks in SA would be utterly mad not to provide all multi-channels via terrestrial before activating VAST subscribers. As for self-help sites, I'm not sure if it can be avoided. Yes, it sucks that those who have grown used to getting TV via terrestrial will suddenly have to change to a box-and-card-per-tv arrangement, but this is nothing new. Rural folk have had this sort of "treatment" for many years. I'm not saying people won't be pissed off about it, but I think you'll be surprised at what people are willing to do to get, for the first time ever, proper metro-grade digital TV. Personally, if I could avoid my council's dodgy out-dated transmitter for a kick-arse digital satellite service, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.

... or get a subsidy of $650 for a satellite receiver?

How's that again?

Over 50 per cent of the VAST cost subsidised

For households eligible for the Satellite Subsidy, this one-off installation charge will be substantially reduced by the subsidy amount, to less than half the total cost of installation, resulting in a household payment of around $200 to $350.

Source

M,bozo,

This quote assumes that a dish installation already exists. Where the viewer is using a community funded analog transmitter is not converted by the broadcasters to digital the refund is higher to help pay for the dish installation.

You link also reinforces the statement I have been making, which is that you cannot get a subsidy unless the analog switch off zone is in your area.

AlanH

Viewer,

Read the links in post 2 of this strand.

SMacca,

You had better go there too.

AlanH

Hi,

Sorry for not being the smartest researcher of this information, but I have tried to see the exact wording you are pointing me to, but for some reason, I can't find it. Maybe I have a blind spot for it all and it stares me in the eye?

To make it easier for a dumbo like me, can you show me by a direct link

where it says I as an Aurora user will be directly switched to VAST,

and a link, direct to where they are going to subsidise it for me.

I did go to the geographical users page, found my transmitter as Mt. Moombil, and came to a grinding halt with your instructions from post 2.

My location is....if it helps..

30 ° 6'1.23"S

153 ° 0'0.93"E

Mt. Moombil Tower is

30 ° 19'1.64"S

152 ° 51'35.31"E

Many thanks..

Well, there you go...the only place to claim a subsidy so far is SA, no other state.

http://bcoms.dbcde.gov.au/satellite-subsidy/SelectTown.do

Anyhow, thought I'd play the "game"

I said I lived in Adelaide 5000

Result

"Postcode not eligible

The postcode that you have entered is not eligible for the Satellite Subsidy Scheme. For more information on eligibility for the Satellite Subsidy Scheme please visit the following link."

So, if you live in Adelaide, and are in a Black Spot....go to Jail, directly to Jail, do not pass go....no help.

If you go to the subsidy page again, tell it you are in NSW, this result

State not eligible

The switchover to digital television is occurring progressively throughout Australia on a region-by-region basis. The State that you have picked is not currently undergoing switchover. For more information on when the Satellite Subsidy Scheme is being rolled out in your area, please visit the link below.

So to a dumbo like me, this indicates three things

If you are applying for a subsidy before your area has analogue turned off...go away

If you are in an eligible state, but not postcode area...go away

If you are an existing Aurora user....go away, but keep your eye on the mysat page.

As for the statement....

"All regional Australians will now receive the same television services as people in the cities," said the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy.".......yes, but weare not saying when, and only for the people we select, the others can go To Jail, directly to Jail, do not pass go.

Viewer,

You have finally got the message that you can't get VAST until the analog switchover comes to the North Coast of NSW.

Who would want Aurora when instead of 4 programs you can get 16 programs from 5 networks. Those 4 programs are included in VAST. That is why it will be switched off at the end of 2013. The satellite subsidy for Aurora can stop.

So in remote area satellite service, the analog switchover is really a change from Aurora DVB-S/MPEG-2 to VAST DVB-S2/MPEG-4 both HD and SD.

Every area of Australia has a postcode. Even if you are on a remote property the licenced post office has a postcode to allow mail to be delivered to your PO box.

The remote licence area will be converted to VAST in the last half of 2013.

There is no point watching the mysat site because they have to follow the analog switchover timetable outlined above.

Alanh

The satellite subsidy for Aurora can stop.

Umm...Aurora subsidy? :huh:

So in remote area satellite service, the analog switchover is really a change from Aurora DVB-S/MPEG-2 to VAST DVB-S2/MPEG-4 both HD and SD.

With the fairly huge (and hopefully obvious) difference that most areas that are currently receiving Digital Terrestrial did not have to wait for analogue switchoff to convert. :rolleyes:

...and for DVB-T viewers there is no miserly access-regulation regime either...

Cheers.

Edited by ChaosMaster

Viewer,

You have finally got the message that you can't get VAST until the analog switchover comes to the North Coast of NSW.

Who would want Aurora when instead of 4 programs you can get 16 programs from 5 networks. Those 4 programs are included in VAST. That is why it will be switched off at the end of 2013. The satellite subsidy for Aurora can stop.

Every area of Australia has a postcode. Even if you are on a remote property the licenced post office has a postcode to allow mail to be delivered to your PO box.

The remote licence area will be converted to VAST in the last half of 2013.

There is no point watching the mysat site because they have to follow the analog switchover timetable outlined above.

Alanh

Alanh...What the heck are you going on about postcodes for...ffs..that reference was included in my post, as one has to enter a postcode into the subsidy box to see if you are eligible or not...course everyone has a postcode..sheez mate, take a grip.

As you say...Who would want Aurora when instead of 4 programs you can get 16 programs from 5 networks. Those 4 programs are included in VAST I am on Aurora and that is why the f I want VAST!!! My Mr Minister Conroy told me in a press release it is there for every Australian, no matter where they live. Well guess what ...I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA.

FFS...I don't believe how stupid all this is....no wonder the people question this government's wisdom these days.

I am going to try exceedingly hard not to post my garbage anymore, as it just seems to be words between ourselves and getting us nowhere.

If I get something informative, I'll post it.

Sorry everyone, but I'm so hurt that no-one in our beaurocracy ever listens to the poor fools like me whom simply want to what tv, and get told how we should wait, and whom don't seem to grasp the fact that this VAST rollout is severly flawed, and don't give a crap about trying to bring this to the attention of the gatekeepers, but simply rehash government media releases.

Diatribe over.

Oh dear, I have succumbed, and am guilty of bloating what could be an otherwise useful thread. :(

Perhaps we should move the whole VAST discussion to the 'Ask an Installer' subforum where 'alanh' and anyone else who wants to cause trouble can't post their misinformation and rubbish and drive the discussion into the ditch. This is simply getting ridiculous.

Cheers,

ChaosMaster.

? Still doesn't come up to $650 for regional South Australia.

Oh dear, I have succumbed, and am guilty of bloating what could be an otherwise useful thread. :(

your sentence will be five posts from Alanh to you....

These links bring up another question for those of us in the business....

from the how te subsidy works page...

4. Wait, and within 3-6 weeks receive a call from the installer to book your VAST installation day appointment. These Government contracted installers are suitably qualified and experienced in installation of satellite television equipment.

So are the government just going to contract this out to the large contracting companies?? therefore do us small guys get shutout? (most of us know how bad the large contracting companies are)

As an Endorsed Installer they've not communicated anything in this regard...

Have they learnt anything from the solar panel, insulation, HIBIS, etc etc.... program failures??