Some Painting Fun...

Gidday,

Well everyone with anything to do with HT knows a dark room is preferable to a white / light one. The difficulty comes when WAF is entered into the equation. After much negotiation I was given the go ahead to paint the wall where the Projector screen is mounted.

So my good brother Lensman who is an expert in all things regarding painting and general handyman related tasks offered to help. The colour chosen was my own modification of a British Paints colour called "Rhino Grey". As it wasn't dark enough for my tastes I added more Black into it and the colour became known as "Bladerunner Black" (Copyright!) and it's saved at Bunnings Maribyrnong if you ever need it. It's a flat paint (Low Odour). I initially wanted a colour called "Black Orbit" but it only came in Low Sheen so I need a Flat alternative. The colour ended up being very much like a German Tank Grey (European Theatre) with a hint of blue to make it interesting. It's a very modern, contemporary colour.

The work was done on Saturday along with finally mounting the Bracket for the OZTS screen properly (A major installer who shall remain anonymous completely cocked it up - amateur hour) with the right brick anchors/screws. The result of Lensmans work is a bracket that could hold the weight of a 747 engine so I'm very happy with the result. I also decided to mount the screen some 40mm higher to assist the geometry of the Schneider Lens (Pincushion evenness top/bottom was slightly favouring the top for straightness). The results are SPECTACULAR! I knew a dark colour is almost mandatory but what a difference it has made to the viewing experience. It's really quite astonishing compared to the white wall. A further benefit is the speakers/system now blend in far better and are less distracting during use.

Note from the pictures below the Catalysts (L/R) are on the floor. I've decided to get some custom wooden speaker stands made this week to bring the coaxial drivers of the L/R Mains perfectly inline with the centre driver so this should improve the front stage panning markedly after another Audyssey Pro calibration.

A huge thanks go to my Brother Lensman who's work is always of the highest order (We're both perfectionists so we don't even have to speak to know what one another is thinking - it's done right or not at all). I think the result speaks for itself. WAF is 100% - she absolutely loves it and amazingly she said "I wouldn't mind the side walls done in that colour".....oh yes!

Enjoy the pictures!

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

Picture 8

Picture 9

Picture 10

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great!

The side walls will make a difference but the ceiling will probably provide the greatest result though WAF is likely to be non-existent. Tried for a year and got nowhere so waited till she went out and did it.

Wrath only lasted a week :P

Side walls will definitely improve again so would strike whilst there is approval. B)

Looks great!

The side walls will make a difference but the ceiling will probably provide the greatest result though WAF is likely to be non-existent. Tried for a year and got nowhere so waited till she went out and did it.

Wrath only lasted a week :P

Side walls will definitely improve again so would strike whilst there is approval. B)

I would say the roof is completely out but will try and move on the side walls ASAP!

Very happy with just the Projector wall thus far.

Blade

I would say the roof is completely out but will try and move on the side walls ASAP!

Blade

It is a great colour. Mine is a coffee colour with half strength on ceiling. Not as dark as yours so would expect yours to reduce reflection even more!!

looks great blade. suits very well the decor I reckon. must be a good feeling to have gotten away with it as well hey ! hehe

ps my wife hates black, so close to buckleys and none I could even imagine something like this if had a pj !

Blade

You don't have to paint all of them, even a metre or two out from the back wall will make a hell of an improvement. And if the wife thinks the stripes look a little strange then you'll just have to finish the job and paint the rest of the walls and ceiling. :D

Looks superb (Picture 4 )I wish, I wish :)

Just wondering with the wood floor is the sound a bit "echoey" lots of reflective surfaces ?

Such is what you have to accept within in a living space. Next stop for me is Acoustic Treatments. The rug on the floor negates a lot of unwanted reflections. For those that have experienced it the current system is incredible.

Blade

Looks great, that is one huge centre speaker :o

I have dark choclate walls, was thinking of painting the ceiling the same or put up some black velvet panels to cover half the ceiling where the pic reflects the most.

Well done. That has just changed the look of the room from the last photos you attached. Get some side panels and see what a difference they make. Maybe they could be dual purpose and serve as acoustic treatment.

Well done. That has just changed the look of the room from the last photos you attached. Get some side panels and see what a difference they make. Maybe they could be dual purpose and serve as acoustic treatment.

Spot on Mark that's the plan exactly. I'll get some dark Acoustic panels for the right wall which should assist a little bit as well.

Blade

Looks great, that is one huge centre speaker :o

I have dark choclate walls, was thinking of painting the ceiling the same or put up some black velvet panels to cover half the ceiling where the pic reflects the most.

Happy reading ;)

Seaton Speakers dedicated thread

If you don't like spending money then I suggest you stay well away from that thread!

Blade

Great job Blade. It makes for a very impressive "feature" wall.

No Blade Runner screen shots? :D

Thanks a lot mate. It's pretty amazing what a difference painting one wall darker actually makes.

I ran out of time last night for all the shots I wanted to take :)

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

very nice Blade, very nice indeed!

I was lucky, my HT was painted dark grey (walls and ceiling) before my wife came along... she hasn't know any different.

She doesn't mind at all as she is a movie freak, just like me!

Michael.

Looks good Blade.

Even makes the screen look smaller.

But aesthetically, the contrast is very nice.

I think that's the first time I've heard of a 130" scope screen described as looking small ;)

But I understand what you mean given the contrast difference.

Blade

I think that's the first time I've heard of a 130" scope screen described as looking small ;)

But I understand what you mean given the contrast difference.

Blade

I meant "not overpowering" like I always thought a 130 could be.

I meant it in a good way! :)

It was a compliment.

Small was not the right word. Not large might have been better.

I meant "not overpowering" like I always thought a 130 could be.

I meant it in a good way! :)

It was a compliment.

Small was not the right word. Not large might have been better.

LOL it's all good mate I know what you mean :)

Blade

very nice Blade, very nice indeed!

I was lucky, my HT was painted dark grey (walls and ceiling) before my wife came along... she hasn't know any different.

She doesn't mind at all as she is a movie freak, just like me!

Michael.

I think she'll come around to my thinking if I show her some examples of "dark" rooms. It's weird too just how much "warmer" the room feels with just one wall done. The psychology of colour cannot be overstated!

Besides Michael you know I blame you for getting started in HT again. One look at your scope screen back in 2008 and I was gone :)

Blade

Just wondering with the wood floor is the sound a bit "echoey" lots of reflective surfaces ?

Just EQ the f**k out of it... :lol::unsure:

Seriously Blade, are you getting an issues with the L/R speakers right up against the walls like that ?

And the big question for me, can it still do music like your old Sigs could ? Or is it purely HT, no music ?

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Do you have any issues with your sight drifting away from the screen to stare at that gigantor of a center channel ? It's pure size is mesmerizing... :o

Edited by Gutty