12v Trigger On Power Amp - Worth Bothering?

hey guys

I have a yamaha 3900 + elektra power amp.

Should I bother to do the 12v trigger cable between them? i.e. does the elektra actually sit there sucking power when there is no sound being generated (so it would be beneficial power wise to have it switched off completely) ?

cheers

• Moderators
hey guys

I have a yamaha 3900 + elektra power amp.

Should I bother to do the 12v trigger cable between them? i.e. does the elektra actually sit there sucking power when there is no sound being generated (so it would be beneficial power wise to have it switched off completely) ?

cheers

Sejanus the cable from dse I'd only prob 5-6 bucks.

On the other hand no it's over designed to the hilt and built to last so prob doesn't matter much either way.

But yeah only a cheap cable needed to 12v trigger it...

I have a similar setup and I love using the trigger.

I have a universal remote so when it turns on the AVR the Elektra comes on a second or two later. Likewise when the AVR gets turned off, the Elektra turns off after a second or two.

I have a universal remote so when it turns on the AVR the Elektra comes on a second or two later. Likewise when the AVR gets turned off, the Elektra turns off after a second or two.

I don't know what the current draw of the Elektra is when it is idling, but like the others I use a trigger cable from my Denon and I universal remote control.

Works perfectly. Cant see any reason not to do it.

+1

Using the trigger enables remote switching of the power amp, that what i do.

thanks guys. I'll get it.

It's just a simple 3.5mm mono cable isn't it?

yes and the stereo one works as well if thats all you can find. $10.00 will do it or less at Jaycar

• 10 years later...
On 14/06/2010 at 5:39 PM, mcb said:

I don't know what the current draw of the Elektra is when it is idling, but like the others I use a trigger cable from my Denon and I universal remote control.

Works perfectly. Cant see any reason not to do it.

Hi newbie question hope you could clarify, if I connect the trigger cable from my Denon AVR's Trigger out to another amp's trigger out will it work or has to be somthing else like trigger in? No idea

Trigger out goes to trigger in.

Trigger thru can also go to trigger in if you have one.

trigger out to trigger out won’t give you anything.

• Like 1

Just a thought that has just come to me. Can you trigger 2 pieces of equipment at the same time using 3.5 mm headphone splitter. One of the cheap ones one male to two female. 

• Moderators
On 10/03/2021 at 10:58 PM, Stankoj said:

Just a thought that has just come to me. Can you trigger 2 pieces of equipment at the same time using 3.5 mm headphone splitter. One of the cheap ones one male to two female. 

probably  matters how split is done, series or parallel, parallel will keep voltages same but split current, series will reduce voltage across each keep current same. Many devices have 12v in and out so don’t have to split ...

With a headphone splitter it would be parallel. This would work, if not driven too far. The inputs are typically around the single kilo-ohms in resistance (and use an opto-coupler), and outputs around a couple hundred ohms or so. Triggering two devices from one will most likely work.

Edited by Steffen