Sony's New 3d Range

I just had an appointment in the Sony centre, Chapel st Prahran and had a good viewing of their new HX 800. Very, very impressive. Similar specs and price to the Samsung, an obvious competitor. Was told they will be released in July and they couldn't say whether a playstation was included but it appears there will soon be a 3D enabled playstation. I'm glad there is competition at last. I was very keen to see the HX 900 which has backlit LED and they claim will have the best picture. The 800 is 3D ready to go but the 900 you have to buy the transmitter and glasses.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had an appointment in the Sony centre, Chapel st Prahran and had a good viewing of their new HX 800. Very, very impressive. Similar specs and price to the Samsung, an obvious competitor. Was told they will be released in July and they couldn't say whether a playstation was included but it appears there will soon be a 3D enabled playstation. I'm glad there is competition at last. I was very keen to see the HX 900 which has backlit LED and they claim will have the best picture. The 800 is 3D ready to go but the 900 you have to buy the transmitter and glasses.

I assume Sony won't be releasing any 3D HD Plasmas ?

Just the LED LCDs ....

Sounds good. I'm keen to see the HX900 myself. Did you get to see that model ?

Will the HX900 be coming out in July also ?

Only saw the HX 800 but I 'm also very keen to see the HX 900 which they claim will be released in July. What appeals to me is it's backlit LED system is superior to edge lit LED but I feel the price will be over $4000 and then you'll have to add on the 3D stuff eg glasses, transmitter, 1.4 cable and a 3d player. This is the closest to their old XBR LED backlit model last year considered by many including me as the best LCD/LED TV on the market.

Poor 3D depth.

More blur in fast motion.

I agree, I got to experience the Sony models last night and the state of origin was terrible.

As players were walking on the field the picture had stutter in it every few seconds, although in fast action play there was no stutter but you experienced some motion blur, also if you turned your head a slight 25 degrees to the left the screen would flicker momentarily.

I suppose a couple of the models I played around with were also still classed as prototypes so hopefully

on release it gets resolved.

One thing though is that their glasses are very comfortable to wear compared to others

But I was impressed with the 3D gaming.

Only saw the HX 800 but I 'm also very keen to see the HX 900 which they claim will be released in July. What appeals to me is it's backlit LED system is superior to edge lit LED but I feel the price will be over $4000 and then you'll have to add on the 3D stuff eg glasses, transmitter, 1.4 cable and a 3d player. This is the closest to their old XBR LED backlit model last year considered by many including me as the best LCD/LED TV on the market.

Yes, the full backlit led system is what attracts me to this model.

I'm am not interested in using it for 3D purposes, I just want a top quality picture.

I don't think there are any other new tv's out there that are using this kind of technology.

Unfortunately I will be paying a premium for 3D which I won't use, but If the picture is

outstanding, then I won't mind.

Went past my local sony store today and thought I would have a look if they had a 3D in, they did!!

It was a 55" LED LCD (dont know model number sorry) but they had it wall mounted at the back of the store and under full lights.

Sales guy that was there asked me if I would like to have a look, I jumped at this as I have only viewed the Samsungs LED & Plasma which were both very poor under lights (Flickering)

first I would say the Sony Glassess are much better then the Samsungs, they look neato too.

Once the 3D clips kicked in (Soccer) I was amazed how there was no flickering and this was under shop fluro lights. I asked the sales guy and he said thats the problem with the samsung and the Sony model does not do it. I could not see any ghosting or blue etc and as I stated, for viewing this set under lights, it was amazing.

The screen was very nice looking with a all black frame. The only thing I would say but I am not 100% sure if its correct or not is the Sony 3D TV didnt not have the 3D Depth the samsung had. It did have some and was very good when viewing the soccer, PS3 Wipeout 3D clips but to me it didnt come that far out of the screen.

If this can be fixed or adjusted then this would be the best 3D LED TV on the market today.

Price was $4655 I think for the 55" but I am sure it will be more like $4k when it comes out from GG, HN etc (Release date was July 20th)

Was impressed overall but if they can add the depth then this looks like the one to get

Cant wait to see what Sharp have in store for 3D

HX 800 and the HX 900 are the two tv's im looking at buying but i think the Panasonic Viera VT25 Series Plasmas have got the edge over them.

Don't know which one to get?

I've had my Sony 32" widescreen 1080i TV for 5 years now. It's the best CRT TV ever made. I love it.

I love Sony and I think they make the best LCDs. I just saw a 3D demo at the Sony shop in Prahran. It was on a 46HX800 (Edge-lit LED) and looked fantastic. Easily better than the Samsung. The Samsung has terrible 3D ghosting. The Sony had virtually none.

I was very tempted to buy last years 46XBR45 (RGB LED local-dimming), but it was ridiculously expensive. I'm very curious to see this year's replacement, the HX900 (white LED local-dimming). But as LCD is such a flawed (and expensive) technology, I don't think I could ever buy one.

I've been to many stores and looked at all the TVs. I had a good tweak on a Panasonic 50V20. So far, I think it's the best thing out there.

I'm sure a local-dimming LCD has excellent black levels, but no matter what, it will always have bad viewing angles and image uniformity issues.

My brother's buying a new TV this year and I'm telling him to get the Panasonic VT25.

Edited by thedaz

How's Sony LCD compare with Samsung/Panny plasma?

I thought less depth = less ghosting. The more perceived depth depends on the amount of paralax difference between the 2 images for L and R eye; the greater the separation between the 2 images the more depth but this leads to more 'perceived' ghosting as the viewer can more easily see the 'ghost' image as more obvious as oppose to just slightly separated and thus almost 2D.

Also I think the difference (correct me if I'm wrong) but Sony has less flicker under fluro light because they run in multiple of 50 frames-per-second (200hz) as oppose to Sammy's 60fps (240hz). I don't know frequency aussie fluro lights are (either 100hz or 120hz) but if the light source is out of sync then no flicker.

In addition, slower fps may also help the refresh rate of the panel thus reducing ghosting as well.

Edited by BabyDyn

How's Sony LCD compare with Samsung/Panny plasma?

I thought less depth = less ghosting. The more perceived depth depends on the amount of paralax difference between the 2 images for L and R eye; the greater the separation between the 2 images the more depth but this leads to more 'perceived' ghosting as the viewer can more easily see the 'ghost' image as more obvious as oppose to just slightly separated and thus almost 2D.

Also I think the difference (correct me if I'm wrong) but Sony has less flicker under fluro light because they run in multiple of 50 frames-per-second (200hz) as oppose to Sammy's 60fps (240hz). I don't know frequency aussie fluro lights are (either 100hz or 120hz) but if the light source is out of sync then no flicker.

In addition, slower fps may also help the refresh rate of the panel thus reducing ghosting as well.

Interesting mate, but I would like to have that option of more depth , hopefully they will do this in a firmware update.

I didnt see any flickering when viewing under lights, would have loved to see it in the dark tho :)

Compare to the Samsung Plasma I would have to say I would buy the Sony. I was 98% on the way to buy the 63" Sammy Plasma but changed mind after seeing Sony's LED. I dont like how the Plasma uses 500w and how it flickers under lights.

Not a big fan of LG so cant see myself going that way. I think I will wait till they are all out (Waiting on Panasonic Plasma and SHARP LED) Tho the Pana Plasma will use a bit of power too :(

Hmm... gotta see it... having buyer's remorse... :(... thought the Sammy plasma compared favorably to the Panny plasma (which is allegedly the best) but seems Sony really good.

If anyone is interested in seeing Sony side by side with Samsung LCD and plasma, HN in Highpoint has lots of Sony HX800 (5x 55 and 3x 46) due to the special WC presentation the other night (where Aussie lost to Germany). Please post your reviews. I'm studying for exams so can't go out :(

Sony 55" LCD is $4000 Samsung 58" Plasma is $2500. pay 60% more and get a smaller screen. Sony could be better but is it worth it? I don't think so.

Shouldnt compare LED Prices with Plasma, should be Sammys LED Vs Sony LED but saying that, even tho the Plasma is cheaper it uses 450w compared to, going of what the samsung LED uses 180w.

After seeing what I saw with the Sony, the Sammy flickering turns me right off

Shouldnt compare LED Prices with Plasma, should be Sammys LED Vs Sony LED but saying that, even tho the Plasma is cheaper it uses 450w compared to, going of what the samsung LED uses 180w.

After seeing what I saw with the Sony, the Sammy flickering turns me right off

Spot on Dr Z. I didn't want this thread to turn into a LCD vs Plasma debate. Its a personal choice and I am a LCD man and will never buy a plasma reagrdless of price. I started this thread because now Samsung has a true competitor and I'd love to hear opinions of which one is considered better. The Samsung LED 3D and the Sony LED 3D have roughly the same price, similar specs but at the moment I think the Sony has the better 2D picture and Samsung has the slightly better 3D picture. My vote is for Sony (just) because of the better 2D picture. I'm anticipating when the HX 900 comes out it should be the best of the lot with its backlit LED. Price might turn a few people off.