Sign in to follow this  
KevO78

Distribution Help In Excisting Home

Hi everyone, recently i was told about running av through cat5 throughout the house (i lead a sheltered life in the outback :o ) and would like to do this in my home but i'm not sure what i need. I'd like to have 8 outlets throughout the house supplied by a austar box in the living room (rca is ok) and also be able to change channel at any outlet. I see there is a little available on ebay but are they ok as i like to be cheap. Any input would be great. i am a sparky so will do all the work myself

Hi everyone, recently i was told about running av through cat5 throughout the house (i lead a sheltered life in the outback :o ) and would like to do this in my home but i'm not sure what i need. I'd like to have 8 outlets throughout the house supplied by a austar box in the living room (rca is ok) and also be able to change channel at any outlet. I see there is a little available on ebay but are they ok as i like to be cheap. Any input would be great. i am a sparky so will do all the work myself

I believe you can go coax out from the Austar box which would be much better than composite (single yellow RCA). Not even sure what the distance limitations would be.

Anyway, Cat5E would be fine for RCA and you can solder on the ends and buy an RCA distribution amp to boost signal for longer runs. - http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewp...productid=DA200

You need to run 6 core per room to cater for audio and video and terminate on wall plates or go directly to TV.

I probably would use a Beldon shielded cable rather than Cat5 unshielded.

To change channels you will need an IR repeater/extender, one for each of the rooms you have a tv in and want to change channels from that room. Other solution is a kit with multiple receivers for multiple rooms to go back to a single location. Not sure where to find those!

Here is an example - http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=242086560 or the wireless version - http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=245162309

Personally I would go coax route as follows:

Use Quad shield if possible.

Go from Austar box output to a Coax distribution amp. This is needed as signal would degrade too much with 8 connections.

Bunnings have them for about $80.00. Not sure where you can order from and have delivered though here is example on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Aerial-Sign...=item27b22459a4

Come out of distribution amp and go to 7 standard TV outlets in the 7 rooms (again use Quad shield coax if possible) and LR TV unless you can go Component or the like in there.

To change channels same solution as above

Hope this helps.

Edited by bbar

Great advice bbar.

A few key things:

1. Coax is a type of cable. RCA is a type of connection. I believe bbar means the difference between RF (coax) and Composite (RCA)

2. Analogue RF doesn't technically support 16:9 images. Nor does composite. It will only transmit a PAL 4:3 image and to achieve any widescreen, you would have to transmit your image in letterbox format and then scale the image on a 16:9 display and/or lose information from the sides or have a smaller image on a 4:3 display. All situations are a compromise.

3. Cat5 is now capable of transmitting up to 1080p (component) over 1 x cat5. It invloves a special matrix processor at one end which converts the signals and distributes them through the cat5 cabling to the location of your various TVs at which the signals are converted back into component signal and input into the TV.

I would suggest a Gefen 4x4 Component Matrixer.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5991

They will transmit up to 4 sources to 4 rooms and carry 1080p (or lower) picture, digital sound, analogue sound and IR (remote control signals) from and to the base unit.

They can be daisy chained as many times as you like so 8, 12, 16 locations, NPs.

Hope this helps!

Kevin go to your wholesaler and ask if they have Res-linx products.

If they do let me know (email address is below) and I will send you part numbers for what you will need to complete the job

You will require 2 cat5s from austar box to the 8 outlets.

This system will do SD video,audio and IR or HD video,audio and IR.