Samsung Ps50c550 Discussion Thread

G'day all

I am waiting on mine to come in. I didn't get the wall mount with it, I was wondering if there is a good wallmount, that I should purchase, and where I should purchase it? I'm in Melbourne.

Thanks Craig

Edited by socraig
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day all

I am waiting on mine to come in. I didn't get the wall mount with it, I was wondering if there is a good wallmount, that I should purchase, and where I should purchase it? I'm in Melbourne.

Thanks Craig

Hi Craig, There's a post somewhere in this forum on wall brackets. Do a search. For what it's worth, my advise is....... don't bother with genuine, you'll get ripped. You'll need to decide whether you need tilt , swivel or just plain old flat (they're the cheapest). With Plasma you shouldn't need tilt. I'm going for the cheapest, lowest profile (to keep tv close to wall) flat that I can find. I've seen 'em on eBay for $39 delivered, don't think you could beat that. With flat, once their up and provided you fix it to the wall properly, you'll soon forget it's even there. I've also seen fixing guides on the net if you need instructions.

Whoops! Forgot to mention that if you don't live in Brisbane, I'll expect you to sell-up the house & move the wife & kids here by Monday -('cause that's when the Good Guys discount on 5yr warranty finishes), and I don't think the ute will make it to Melbourne or Adelaide to deliver your tv. - not without a fairly serious overhaul, anyway.

Hahah thanks for the offer - Yea I am in Brisbane, but I think I will lean hard on Myer for a deal so I can use there 1000 days on the old myer card as not quiet ready next week to fork out cold cash.

So in saying that If I get some freakin spare time from work I shall ask what sorta deal can be done for "two" :D

Hahah thanks for the offer - Yea I am in Brisbane, but I think I will lean hard on Myer for a deal so I can use there 1000 days on the old myer card as not quiet ready next week to fork out cold cash.

So in saying that If I get some freakin spare time from work I shall ask what sorta deal can be done for "two" :D

Thanks for the reply Netimages, I guess that means that we'll be rowing our own boats - Myer's pricing being what it is.

But, still let me know if they'll come in under 15 each for two. As I said, it looks like I'm gonna hafta make a move by Monday - at the latest.

By the way, happy to hear you didn't hafta sell the house!

Thanks for the reply Netimages, I guess that means that we'll be rowing our own boats - Myer's pricing being what it is.

But, still let me know if they'll come in under 15 each for two. As I said, it looks like I'm gonna hafta make a move by Monday - at the latest.

By the way, happy to hear you didn't hafta sell the house!

does anyone know if i can change the model number in the service menu for this model ?

G'day all

Thanks Craig

Craig, Further to my earlier post , if you haven't already done so, DON"T buy a slimline, low profile wall mounting bracket for the C550 for the following reason:-

Samsung's designers, in their infinite wisdom, have deemed to have the input sockets on the back of the set arranged horizontally pointing out from the rear of the set. Consequently, cables, particularly the antenna lead, don't have enough clearance between the back of the set & the wall. All cables risk being squashed between the back of the set & the wall , AND most probably will be seriously damaged. Even the sockets on the back could be broken, or at least damaged . This damage would NOT be covered by warranty of course. 90 degree cable adapters are available, but, if like me, you want to connect a number of external input devices, these become expensive eg a HDMI 90 degree adapter is just under $14 @ Dick Smith.

The only way to overcome this very serious design fault is to either pack the mounting bracket with spacers to keep the tv further out from the wall, OR purchase a standard (not slimline ) bracket. However, even this bracket will probably need "spacers".

I know all this, because I've just purchased a C550 with a slimline wall bracket, AND it won't work without the above modifications.

What really angers me about this is that the problem simply shouldn't exist!!!! A simple design change on the orientation of the rear sockets is all that's required. Instead of pointing straight back, all rear sockets SHOULD point down (to the floor). Indeed that's what they do on my old 42" Hitachi plasma and, consequently, a low profile wall bracket isn't a problem. I have multiple cables connected with no problems whatsoever. Furthermore, cable changes & additions are possible without the need to remove the tv from the wall.

It's no comfort to see that almost every other tv maker does the same needlessly stupid thing as Samsung. Thus, the appeal of a slim, thin, tv is completely lost because the damn thing has to be mounted so far off the wall. Needless to say, I'll be firing off a blast to Samsung, not that it will do any good of course, what would a mere consumer know?

Hi, picked mine up yesterday. Will try this when I've had time to get it settled in. Still getting to know it.

Can you say where you bought it, there does not seem to be much stock yet? And what did you pay? I am considering this TV , and to wall mount...

I am considering this wall maount as I need swivel... and the price looks good.

Thanks

TB

Edited by TBAR

Hi, picked mine up yesterday. Will try this when I've had time to get it settled in. Still getting to know it.

So how did you go Honest John price wise? any chance of a receipt so I can hassle myer with lol.

But grats on the new toy!!

I also got $1550 for the PS50C550 [$1231] at JB HIFI in Melbourne, inc delivery [$70] and 5 year warranty [$249].

Plus they're as scarce as hen's teeth in the JB's, only 1 was in stock unsold on my side of town, till i got it.

Cheers - qqqq

Edited by qqqq

Bought the TV yesterday and considering taking it back today. This due to playing of MKV files over home newtork. 95% of the time it does not work and when it does the quality is poor. Has anyone had good results in plying over the network. I am comparing this against the WD Live HD TV. Thanks

So how did you go Honest John price wise? any chance of a receipt so I can hassle myer with lol.

But grats on the new toy!!

Hi netimages, got an INCREDIBLE deal from WOW.- $1400 for my complete bundle! Try that on Myer and watch'em squirm.

Would've been even better if Good Guys had stock, because WOW will beat anybody else's price by 10% -provided that the other dealer has stock. If GG or Clive Anthony had stock, I would have been able to get my complete bundle for an unbelievable $1313 !!!!! Bugger! However, was still able to haggle down to $1400, after much gnashing of teeth, wailing, moaning and a probing interrogation (that a CMC investigator would envy). All of this from the sales manager of course, not me.

That's the good news, ,,,,,,,now for not so good...... delegated Samsung Bonus claim procedure to wife, while I continued boning-up on how to get C550 interfaced with a Macintosh. No joy as yet, and no reply from Samsung support. I wouldn't be surprised if they've never even heard of a Mac, let alone know anything about networking it to one of their tv's -( maybe it's a little unfair to say that - I certainly hope so, anyway).

However, back to the "not so good news", as per Samsung's instructions, original receipt has gone off to Samsung - without a copy - the price of delegation. I'm sorry, netimages.

By the way, does anybody know anything about networking (LAN & wireless) a Samsung with a Mac?

Any help (since I appear to be getting "diddly" from Samsung support) would be sincerely appreciated. I'll try some Mac forums when I get time, and, in case there just happens to be another lonely, frustrated Mac user out there in DTV Forum Land, will report back.

Bought the TV yesterday and considering taking it back today. This due to playing of MKV files over home newtork. 95% of the time it does not work and when it does the quality is poor. Has anyone had good results in plying over the network. I am comparing this against the WD Live HD TV. Thanks

Ohh that doesnt sound promising - this is what I wish to do as well if I get this model!

No worries on all that Honest John - cant help you with the MAC stuff either as windows is more my area.

does anyone know if i can change the model number in the service menu for this model ?

Try the PS58B550 thread. There's instructions there for that model, same should work for this.

Whilst we're talking about Service Menu changes, can anyone help with how to check hours of use for the PS50C550? I've found my way into the service menu, but can't find my way once there.

Hi netimages, got an INCREDIBLE deal from WOW.- $1400 for my complete bundle!

However, back to the "not so good news", as per Samsung's instructions, original receipt has gone off to Samsung - without a copy - the price of delegation. I'm sorry, netimages.

So you didn't keep a copy of the receipt for proof of purchase in the future? Either for contents insurance or warranty purposes.

I would be very interested to hear what this 'bundle' is. Given other people's pricing $1500 and above I find it challenging that a PS50C550 with 5year WOW warranty can be had for $1400. I approached WOW this morning and was told best they can do for TV and warranty is $1600 - and that was from the store manager.

So you didn't keep a copy of the receipt for proof of purchase in the future? Either for contents insurance or warranty purposes.

I would be very interested to hear what this 'bundle' is. Given other people's pricing $1500 and above I find it challenging that a PS50C550 with 5year WOW warranty can be had for $1400. I approached WOW this morning and was told best they can do for TV and warranty is $1600 - and that was from the store manager.

Hi TBAR, If you read my earlier postings, you'll see the "bundle" details - ie PS50C550 + 5yr warranty + wall bracket. You'll also see that I've said you DON"T go to WOW BEFORE you've done the leg-work and negotiated the ABSOLUTE BEST possible price elsewhere. THEN, and only then, .........you go to WOW. Perhaps I didn't make it clear, Go to WOW LAST! Their policy ( & I think it's great) is that they'll beat anyone else's price by 10% - provided that the other dealer has the item in stock. Incidentally, they phone the other dealer & speak to the Salesperson to confirm your stated price & stock availability. By the way, I don't work for WOW, and nor does my brother-in-law!

Furthermore, reading my earlier posts will also reveal that "the warranty deal" from the Good Guys expired yesterday. So, I'm assuming that you won't be able to get anything like my price now, unfortunately - BUT,...... I did make it quite clear that their deal had a very short shelf life ie it finished yesterday. (I'm assuming that you've come to this thread only recently)

With regard to my receipt, Samsung's requirement is for ORIGINAL receipt to be mailed in (Registered), NOT A COPY, to claim Home Theatre Bonus Offer - they give an assurance that it will be returned. When it comes back, you (& anyone else ) will be most welcome to a copy ( However, as I've said, GG's warranty price has been & gone). By the way, I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to be gained by fudging figures. All I'm trying to do is help other members, like you, get the best deal they can. Again, I urge you to read ALL of my posts in this thread, - eg those to netimages, where I proposed a shared deal to get the best possible price for both of us _ that's where I'm coming from... I hope this reply will help you get a much better price than $1600. (I had beaten that long before I went to the GG's). However, as you know, you'll need to spend a bit of time visiting all the dealers to save some $$$'s . It took me more than 2 weeks to get my price of $1400, but, I think it was time well spent. I'd be happy to comment on any new price you get - You've gotta be able to beat $1600, by a long way. Good luck with it, when you do get the PS50C550, I'm sure you'll be wrapped1 - I am!

Regardz

PS Still need help Networking on a Mac, any ideas , anybody?

Hi, phoned Samsung tech support today & had a little bit of bad news. Tech. I spoke to, advised that it's NOT possible to check hours of use in Service Menu on PS50C550.

So, one has to wonder if other features eg Model# change, Cinema Smooth etc are unavailable also.

Anybody know?????????

1st post! :)

Picked one of these beauties up tonight for the family room, $1370 from Good Guys, std warranty, couldnt get them any lower & frankly I was over going between stores dealing with idiot sales muppets. Might have been able to snag it lower if I went back HN....

Pity the house isnt finished yet, it'll sit in the box for another month! It'll join the The '09 spec PS63B680 I picked up for a steal on Wednesday to replace my aging & much loved Pana AE700E Projector.

Has anyone got this below 1200, The lowest I have been able to get is 1240 by itself with standard warranty?

Hi, Unless this price is already from WOW, they'll beat it by 10% (with provisos that I've outlined above to TBAR)

So has anyone noticed flickering during dark scenes on the C550, as discussed in this thread? :unsure:

Nope,

but then again, I'm still running-in - only got our C550 on Friday. Thanks for the heads-up though, will keep an eye out & report back anything noticed. I guess "The Dark Knight" would be a good test, I'll hire it on Cheap-Tuesday. Have to wait till then to hire anything after parting with so much hard earned for the new plasma.

Is there any impacting differences between this TV and the PS50B850? I own the latter, and the former is interesting me, after reading about it.

One extremely annoying difference (that I'm currently struggling with) is that the av sockets on the C550 are orientated horizontally on the back - thus making it impossible to use a slimline wall mount without having to purchase a complete set of right-angle adapters for EVERY bl...y port that needs a cable - especially the RF antenna input. Good One Samsung! Sheer needless stupidity in design! My 5 yr old Hitachi plasma has all of its sockets pointing down, like the B850, & wall mounting is a cinch.