Sign in to follow this  
Illuzive

Samsung Ps50c550 Discussion Thread

G'day all...

I purchased one of these T.Vs last week and am pretty happy with it so far, but haven't seen any other reviews or discussions on here. In terms of bang for your buck, you should be able to pick one up for $1500-$1600 (brand new model) and for a Full HD 50" it's pretty good value for the image you get.

Handles both HD & SD sports brillantly, I watch a lot of AFL and Channel 10's games just look amazing (Channel 7's look reasonable but I suspect thats the broadcasters fault and not my T.V)

Standard Def looks good and even my crummy HDD recorder via upscaled HDMI (but was originally recorded via composite) is acceptable.

Just had Foxtel IQ2 installed recently and even some of the low-bitrate channels look okay, whereas the HD channels just look as good as the inbuilt Tuner (running via HDMI @ 1080i)

The only real issue i've had so far is the set does make a buzzing noise, which can be distracting at times but seems to come and go...

The T.V is currently only about 30-40 hours into it's life and as such, all the contrast and cell light settings are toned down to prevent Burn In, and the picture still looks very impressive! Can't wait to get past the break in period and have a proper crack at setting it up.

Any one else got one of these? what are your thoughts? anyone got any post-break in settings?

Oh and Yes, I did miss out on the Samsung bonus gift...bought the bloody thing in April :(

Hi all, just found this thread after posting the following question on another Samsung thread - guess I'll be in trouble for that....

I'd like to know if the PS50C550 can be "tweaked" to give it Cinema Smooth. Disappointed to see that it (a new model) still doesn't have Cinema Smooth.

I've negotiated what I think is a very good deal, but haven't quite taken the plunge yet. A UK Forum member says that Cinema Smooth is a feature that Samsung has problems providing, however, I see that it is available on their more upmarket models.

For anyone else contemplating purchase, In Brisbane, I've got the PS50C550 down to $1520 including 5yr warranty, wall bracket & of course, the Home Theatre Bluray bundle from Samsung.

Oh and Yes, I did miss out on the Samsung bonus gift...bought the bloody thing in April :(

I thought that even people who had bought eligible models before May 1 could apply for it.

I'd check with Samsung because I think that's what the promo banner said before May 1 when the promo site went live.

Hi all, first I'd like to apologize to Illuzive for my earlier post in which I failed to thank him(?) for starting up this thread. My only excuse is that I'd spent most of the day struggling to have a conversation with salesmen in places like WOW, JB, HN,etc I came home brain damaged, & it was after 11pm. Why must they have that crappp music blasting? -probably hoping you'll plonk down the credit card & get out asap.

Back to the PS50C550, thanks also for the initial comments on your new one, Illuzive. I agree that you should try for the bonus from Samsung. Like you, I've not been able to find a review anywhere. Maybe it has a different Model# overseas. Might try contacting Samsung on Monday to ask . If i have any joy, I'll report back.

Illuzive, if you haven't done so already, try the PS58b550 thread. There's lots of discussion there about burn-in procedures, post burn-in settings etc, etc. Of course this is a different model, but it may help you get a start by using the 58" settings.

Honest John

you mentioned your best deal was $1520 - Have you purchased yet? Just curious as I am bout to buy one as well this week and wouldn't mind a copy of your receipt for some price matching :)

I thought that even people who had bought eligible models before May 1 could apply for it.

I'd check with Samsung because I think that's what the promo banner said before May 1 when the promo site went live.

Ah thanks ninja, definetly will contact Samsung...!

also thanks for the idea Honest John...

FYI the model number in the US is PN50C550 - you can find a few threads/pages about them on the net...

hopefully a few ppl purchase these TV's and can help with some good settings /reviews etc...

Hi, Netimages, no haven't pulled the trigger yet, but you'll be most welcome to copy of receipt when I do - should be within a week, maybe 2 at the most.

Did you see today's catalogue from (of all people) Retravision? They have the C550 on the front page for $1574. When I saw the ad, I naturally assumed that they had old "B" models. Rang a store, & yes, they are the new "C" models. Normally, I wouldn't bother going to them, BUT, if that's their advertised price, I would think that its worth a visit. Maybe, with a little negotiation, I can do even better than HN's price for my bundle. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you have a Retravision nearby, giv'em a visit & let us know how you go.

Hmm emailed Samsung about them giving the Blu Ray away even though I purchased the TV outside of the promotional period and they sent me a very vague response:

MY EMAIL:

Good Evening,

I've always been a loyal Samsung customer and have purchased numerous LCD, CRT and finally Plasma TV's over the years.

I recently purchased the PS50C550 from JB Hifi in Southland, Melbourne on the 19th of April, 2010. The TV wasn't in stock then and wasn't delivered until the following Friday (23rd of May)

I then heard about your latest bonus gift promotion involving my new TV (amongst others) and read the fine print on the website, finding that I don't think i'm eligible to recieve the BluRay Home theatre system

However I've heard there are extenuating circumstances where you will offer the bonus gift even though the television was purchased outside of the promotional period and I was wondering if you would allow me to recieve the bonus gift as well?

In theory, the fact that I was willing to purchase your products with no bonus gift should make me a "better" customer than someone who buys it over another brand simply because of the free HT system. I was weighing up between Samsung and Panasonic and went with Samsung in the end as my experience with your products over the years have always been exceptional.

Hopefully I hear some good news back!

********************************************************************************

SAMSUNGS RESPONSE:

For 2D TV purchases made prior to 1st May - we cannot give you a definite answer as to whether you will be eligible for the claim. This is what we have been told by Samsung. I believe they are working on it and hopefully they can be flexible with the policy, however we cannot guarantee that this will be the case.

Kind Regards,

Angela Kim

Samsung Rewards Customer Manager

Hmm emailed Samsung about them giving the Blu Ray away even though I purchased the TV outside of the promotional period and they sent me a very vague response:

MY EMAIL:

Good Evening,

I've always been a loyal Samsung customer and have purchased numerous LCD, CRT and finally Plasma TV's over the years.

I recently purchased the PS50C550 from JB Hifi in Southland, Melbourne on the 19th of April, 2010. The TV wasn't in stock then and wasn't delivered until the following Friday (23rd of May)

I then heard about your latest bonus gift promotion involving my new TV (amongst others) and read the fine print on the website, finding that I don't think i'm eligible to recieve the BluRay Home theatre system

However I've heard there are extenuating circumstances where you will offer the bonus gift even though the television was purchased outside of the promotional period and I was wondering if you would allow me to recieve the bonus gift as well?

In theory, the fact that I was willing to purchase your products with no bonus gift should make me a "better" customer than someone who buys it over another brand simply because of the free HT system. I was weighing up between Samsung and Panasonic and went with Samsung in the end as my experience with your products over the years have always been exceptional.

Hopefully I hear some good news back!

********************************************************************************

SAMSUNGS RESPONSE:

For 2D TV purchases made prior to 1st May - we cannot give you a definite answer as to whether you will be eligible for the claim. This is what we have been told by Samsung. I believe they are working on it and hopefully they can be flexible with the policy, however we cannot guarantee that this will be the case.

Kind Regards,

Angela Kim

Samsung Rewards Customer Manager

Great letter Iluzive, that was an excellent point about already being a loyal customer who didn't need incentives. Good luck!

Apparently the company I emailed are a 3rd party that Samsung appointed to run their Promotions, they are still waiting for clarification on Samsung about who they will "bend" the rules for...so fingers crossed!

anyway I managed to pay $1550 for mine inc. delivery a few weeks ago at JB Hifi....

Hi, Netimages, no haven't pulled the trigger yet, but you'll be most welcome to copy of receipt when I do - should be within a week, maybe 2 at the most.

Did you see today's catalogue from (of all people) Retravision? They have the C550 on the front page for $1574. When I saw the ad, I naturally assumed that they had old "B" models. Rang a store, & yes, they are the new "C" models. Normally, I wouldn't bother going to them, BUT, if that's their advertised price, I would think that its worth a visit. Maybe, with a little negotiation, I can do even better than HN's price for my bundle. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you have a Retravision nearby, giv'em a visit & let us know how you go.

Thanks for that :)

I am curently working on deal for $1400 including delivery - just waiting to hear how much for an extended warranty.

If I get this shall let you know.

Apparently the company I emailed are a 3rd party that Samsung appointed to run their Promotions, they are still waiting for clarification on Samsung about who they will "bend" the rules for...so fingers crossed!

anyway I managed to pay $1550 for mine inc. delivery a few weeks ago at JB Hifi....

I also got $1549 for the PS50C550 at JB HIFI in Brisbane, inc delivery and 5 year warranty. They had sold out and my unit is on back order, expected in about 2 weeks. The Tv by itself with the standard 1 year warranty was $1250.

I also got $1549 for the PS50C550 at JB HIFI in Brisbane, inc delivery and 5 year warranty. They had sold out and my unit is on back order, expected in about 2 weeks. The Tv by itself with the standard 1 year warranty was $1250.

Ouch!

Please don't be offended, omgspacealiens, but,R U sure about that price of $1250 for the C550 with standard warranty, ? That seems an amazing price, but the extra $300 for additional 4yrs warranty is excessive & therefore quite disproportionate to the massively discounted $1250 base price. However, as we all know, they do give with 1 hand & take with the other. (reminds me of someone in George St.)

I'm in Brisbane & about to buy the PS50C550. Best I've seen ADVERTISED (without negotiating )is $1439 (for tv only) @ Videopro. I've been negotiating a price on a package - PS50C550+5yr warranty+ wall bracket (no delivery, I have a ute). Best so far- $1520 as posted earlier.

I certainly would appreciate knowing which JB you got that price of $1250 from. At that price, I'm tempted to save the $300 & forgo the extra 4yrs warranty. Then rely on my statutory warranty rights if I had a problem after 12 months. You've certainly given me something to think about, thanks for your post!

Regards

Please don't be offended, omgspacealiens, but,R U sure about that price of $1250 for the C550 with standard warranty, ? That seems an amazing price, but the extra $300 for additional 4yrs warranty is excessive & therefore quite disproportionate to the massively discounted $1250 base price. However, as we all know, they do give with 1 hand & take with the other. (reminds me of someone in George St.)

I'm in Brisbane & about to buy the PS50C550. Best I've seen ADVERTISED (without negotiating )is $1439 (for tv only) @ Videopro. I've been negotiating a price on a package - PS50C550+5yr warranty+ wall bracket (no delivery, I have a ute). Best so far- $1520 as posted earlier.

I certainly would appreciate knowing which JB you got that price of $1250 from. At that price, I'm tempted to save the $300 & forgo the extra 4yrs warranty. Then rely on my statutory warranty rights if I had a problem after 12 months. You've certainly given me something to think about, thanks for your post!

Regards

Well on my receipt is 1250 for the PS50C550, 249 for the extended warranty and 50 for the home delivery, I don't know if they would have parted with the tv alone for 1250.. maybe? anyway it was at the Indooroopilly store where I was talking with the new manager. I tried to get them to go down further with the price even to wave the delivery fee but wasnt gonna happen <_<

Well on my receipt is 1250 for the PS50C550, 249 for the extended warranty and 50 for the home delivery, I don't know if they would have parted with the tv alone for 1250.. maybe? anyway it was at the Indooroopilly store where I was talking with the new manager. I tried to get them to go down further with the price even to wave the delivery fee but wasnt gonna happen <_<

Any chance for a copy of receipt then? As that would help Honest John and myself with our negotiations for sure :) (plus anyone else after one of these).

I to am like Honest John with at that price I would just go the TV and not worry for extended warranty :)

$249 is arround $100 too expensive for the warranty so the TV realy cost $1350, same as the B550 was going for.

Any chance for a copy of receipt then? As that would help Honest John and myself with our negotiations for sure :) (plus anyone else after one of these).

I to am like Honest John with at that price I would just go the TV and not worry for extended warranty :)

Hi all, I was in at the Good Guys today. Salesman said he'd beat $1500 for my bundle ie PS50C550 + 5 yr warranty + wall bracket (I don't need delivery).

He also pointed out that Good Guys deal on 5 yrs warranty for the price of 2 yrs, finishes Monday. So, I'm going to have to bite the bullet by Monday - don't know if any other dealer can come much under $1500. Will give it a shot tomorrow & keep you posted.

Hi all, I was in at the Good Guys today. Salesman said he'd beat $1500 for my bundle ie PS50C550 + 5 yr warranty + wall bracket (I don't need delivery).

He also pointed out that Good Guys deal on 5 yrs warranty for the price of 2 yrs, finishes Monday. So, I'm going to have to bite the bullet by Monday - don't know if any other dealer can come much under $1500. Will give it a shot tomorrow & keep you posted.

Nice work man.

Thanks for that :)

I am curently working on deal for $1400 including delivery - just waiting to hear how much for an extended warranty.

If I get this shall let you know.

Hi, Netimages, just had a thought, since we're both after the same package, why not combine our order? ie , instead of each of us negotiating the best deal we can get for ONE PS50C550, why don't we each ask for a price on two, & go with the best deal either one of gets? I'm getting pretty close to the bone with my price now & am ready to buy immediately, especially if it saves us both some "hard earned". I'm sure that a deal for TWO tv's would advantage us in pricing (gotta be able to beat our individual best price on one) - I could even help you out with delivery - there's room in my ute for two tv's. If you're interested, let me know asap & we can exchange emails to further discuss.

Regards

Hi, Netimages, just had a thought, since we're both after the same package, why not combine our order? ie , instead of each of us negotiating the best deal we can get for ONE PS50C550, why don't we each ask for a price on two, & go with the best deal either one of gets? I'm getting pretty close to the bone with my price now & am ready to buy immediately, especially if it saves us both some "hard earned". I'm sure that a deal for TWO tv's would advantage us in pricing (gotta be able to beat our individual best price on one) - I could even help you out with delivery - there's room in my ute for two tv's. If you're interested, let me know asap & we can exchange emails to further discuss.

Regards

Whoops! Forgot to mention that if you don't live in Brisbane, I'll expect you to sell-up the house & move the wife & kids here by Monday -('cause that's when the Good Guys discount on 5yr warranty finishes), and I don't think the ute will make it to Melbourne or Adelaide to deliver your tv. - not without a fairly serious overhaul, anyway.