Samsung Ps50c550 Discussion Thread

]Hey everyone, I'm new to this and was seeking some advice. Having settled on this 50inch Sammy, Ive been hunting around for a good price. The best I have been offered is $1380, incl 4yr ext warranty, delivery and surge protector. Is this is a good deal as I'm think of getting it this weekend. Cheers[/size][/size][/size]

Edited by Tech01

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, since you are new I'll give you a tip. Using a large font, not even a huge font as you have done is the same as shouting on a forum and is considered rude. I suggest you edit your post to show normal size text.

I purchased one of these TV's when they first come out a few months back and am reasonably happy with it for the price (except for the buzzing of course...)

I returned my first PS50C550 after noticing a green smudge on the screen and have the new one set up. I've since noticed the contrast flashing at sporadic intervals and have tried numerous settings to eliminate it. It seems to do it more when on Dynamic or Standard picture mode, rather than Movie mode. I also upgraded to the latest firmware (19) to no avail either.

Whilst it doesn't render the TV unwatchable by any means, it is quite annoying. Has anyone else suffered similar problems? are there any solutions or is a Samsung service call my only option?

Or am I being a bit precious?

It seems to do it regardless of the input (Foxtel, in built tuner etc)

Thanks in advance!

G'day all...

I purchased one of these T.Vs last week and am pretty happy with it so far, but haven't seen any other reviews or discussions on here. In terms of bang for your buck, you should be able to pick one up for $1500-$1600 (brand new model) and for a Full HD 50" it's pretty good value for the image you get.

Handles both HD & SD sports brillantly, I watch a lot of AFL and Channel 10's games just look amazing (Channel 7's look reasonable but I suspect thats the broadcasters fault and not my T.V)

Standard Def looks good and even my crummy HDD recorder via upscaled HDMI (but was originally recorded via composite) is acceptable.

Just had Foxtel IQ2 installed recently and even some of the low-bitrate channels look okay, whereas the HD channels just look as good as the inbuilt Tuner (running via HDMI @ 1080i)

The only real issue i've had so far is the set does make a buzzing noise, which can be distracting at times but seems to come and go...

The T.V is currently only about 30-40 hours into it's life and as such, all the contrast and cell light settings are toned down to prevent Burn In, and the picture still looks very impressive! Can't wait to get past the break in period and have a proper crack at setting it up.

Any one else got one of these? what are your thoughts? anyone got any post-break in settings?

hi Illuzive, hi all! We bought a Samsung 50" plasma Ps50c550 HDTV the other week...very impressed with everything about it, except the apparent absence of any AV-Out port. I was expecting to be able to plug an AV line from the Samsung into my VCR's line-in and record any program the Samsung receives. If anyone knows how to get the AV output from this TV, please enlighten me.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this and was seeking some advice. Having settled on this 50inch Sammy, Ive been hunting around for a good price. The best I have been offered is $1380, incl 4yr ext warranty, delivery and surge protector. Is this is a good deal as I'm think of getting it this weekend. Cheers

HI WELCOME TO THE INTERNET I THINK THAT IS A GOOD PRICE I THINK YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY

HI WELCOME TO THE INTERNET I THINK THAT IS A GOOD PRICE I THINK YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY

Thanks for the reply, the tv looks awsome and I cant wait to get it home. Apologies for the large font, as I am still getting used to this forum. I just hope that I dont get one with buzz as this seems to be a regular comment from other posts. Cheers

Mate, since you are new I'll give you a tip. Using a large font, not even a huge font as you have done is the same as shouting on a forum and is considered rude. I suggest you edit your post to show normal size text.

Owen, apologies if you may be offended, I was merely asking for others opinions ans as I,m new to this forum I still don't know what I'm doing. As you can see I have found a way or reducing the font size.

Have just received my new hdtv and couldn't wait to get it plugged in. Happy to report that I'm wrapped in the FTA images even though I have lowered my contrast and brightness settings until its run in. Haven't connected the HT or playstation yet just still getting used to my new toy.

Although I had read much about the annoying buzz that many plasmas have, and was very anxious about this, there is definitely no buzz coming from the unit at this stage.

Cant wait till I can adjust the settings to optimum. I have kept both brightness and contrast to under 50 and it is still an awsome experience. I will report after the run in period. Cheers

Brightness can be set to the “optimum” level from day one and Contrast should never be set to 100% ever.

The correct setting for Contrast will depend on ambient lighting, if its dim you many never need more then 50, but if you fell the need for 95% plus a Plasma was may not have been the right purchase decision.

I purchased one of these TV's when they first come out a few months back and am reasonably happy with it for the price (except for the buzzing of course...)

I returned my first PS50C550 after noticing a green smudge on the screen and have the new one set up. I've since noticed the contrast flashing at sporadic intervals and have tried numerous settings to eliminate it. It seems to do it more when on Dynamic or Standard picture mode, rather than Movie mode. I also upgraded to the latest firmware (19) to no avail either.

Whilst it doesn't render the TV unwatchable by any means, it is quite annoying. Has anyone else suffered similar problems? are there any solutions or is a Samsung service call my only option?

Or am I being a bit precious?

It seems to do it regardless of the input (Foxtel, in built tuner etc)

Thanks in advance!

any idea about this one guys?

any idea about this one guys?

Yep - a known issue with the previous model (PS50B550), including mine.

I've been waiting to see whether the new 2010 model suffers from the same problem before chasing Samsung - looks like I'll be chasing a refund rather than an upgrade.

The guy asking about the AV port, i also looked for one the other day to plug my Wii into, its on the left side of the tele, not the back

hi Matt - the AV port on the LHside [of the PS50C550] is an INPUT port; I'm wondering why Samsung hasn't seen their way to include an VIDEO OUT port.

Edited by nervsov

Brightness can be set to the “optimum” level from day one and Contrast should never be set to 100% ever.

The correct setting for Contrast will depend on ambient lighting, if its dim you many never need more then 50, but if you fell the need for 95% plus a Plasma was may not have been the right purchase decision.

Thanks Owen, the room is fairly dim as it does not get direct sunlight during the day. I will try tweaking up the brightness and see how it goes.

Cheers

The “Brightness” control is misnamed, it is really a black level control, set too high gives unnecessarily grey blacks and set too low gives crushed shadow detail.

Play a video with black bars, adjust the “Brightness” control up and then down the the point where the black bars just stop getting any darker and you are done.

You will need different settings for bright and dark environments.

• 1 month later...
Hi guys, I bought the the PS50C550 and the HTC 5500 came with it. Question is how do I get the audio from the TV to the HTC 5500?

I'm not familiar with the HTC5500 but I would assume like most Home Theatre systems, you would use a digital optical audio cable.

This will provide 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys... got my hands on this model after my P90FDX crapped itself after 2 years (had green pixelated dots all over the screen and took over 3 months to give me a new tv thru warranty - very long story and wont get into it) and was after what settings you guys use on this tv? I have only had it a few days and would like to know what settings are being run to get the best picture quality. At the moment I havent changed anything on the TV, so its running as default.

Many thanks

Sanchez

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

i got one of these units recently from a warranty claim anyone still having lip sync issues? you can change channels and go back which fixes and comes back after a while? Firmware has been updated to the latest Samsung one i think the previous firmware didn't have the problem??

Hey guys... got my hands on this model after my P90FDX crapped itself after 2 years (had green pixelated dots all over the screen and took over 3 months to give me a new tv thru warranty - very long story and wont get into it) and was after what settings you guys use on this tv? I have only had it a few days and would like to know what settings are being run to get the best picture quality. At the moment I havent changed anything on the TV, so its running as default.

Many thanks

Sanchez

First thing to do is take it out of “Dynamic” mode, use Movie or Standard and adjust from there.

Don't run a Contrast setting higher than necessary for the viewing environment. Most people have their TV's way too bright, its not good for your eyes or your Plasma. The higher the Contrast setting the greater the risk of burn and image retention.

You may need a different setup for day and night viewing, I setup Standard mode appropriately for day viewing and the Movie mode for night.

• 1 month later...

Sharpness is not a measure of picture “quality”, plenty of sharp looking TV pictures are bloody terrible.

Without the TV artificially sharpening the image it will be as sharp as the source allows, trying to make it sharper almost always results in negative side effects.

CRT TV's used a form of edge enhancement that looked OK on a small screen but is ugly on a big one.

Anyone know what the latest firmware update does? I emailed Samsung to ask but this is their useless answer...

Question. Is there anywhere on the Samsung site that I can see a changelog for the most recent firmware update?
I don't believe in upgrading firmware if there is no actual problem impacting on my equipment so would like to know what is being fixed with the latest update before I apply it.

Answer. The firmware updates are usually done to improve security and stability issues. These are generally only
minor changes to the software coding. Unfortuantely, we do not have a changelog for our firmwares.

However if there is a major change or an added bonus to the firmware it will be addressed in the firmware
information when clicking on the actual firmware description.

Edited by Zoool