Samsung Ps50c550 Discussion Thread

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up this unit today. I upgraded from a Samsung 42" to this 50" so I am happy in many ways already. (Plus can't complain about redemption of Blu Ray sorroung sound.)

I just wanted the optimal settings for Sound\Picture but can't find much.

Currently running on Standard..

Just picked up this unit today. I upgraded from a Samsung 42" to this 50" so I am happy in many ways already. (Plus can't complain about redemption of Blu Ray sorroung sound.)

Try the settings listed for the 58" model listed in this Forum.

So, you're not going to worry about "Break - In" then? Opinion seems to be divided about whether you need to or not. I'm still running on <70% Contrast during break-in & find that it's OK, but it will of course be much better after break-in.

Optimal and what you do during break in are 2 different things.

These are mine. RBG is calibrated on each one, but white balance is all stock.

I set each up on my HTPC, then applied each to TV. I mostly used an MP4 video from AVS to do most adjustments. You can do Brightness with black scale, contrast with White and Colour/Tint with colour bars from the same video. The flashing boxes really help conpared to static images. I also used a few different colour bars and other images from the next and DVE DVD which is a bit outdated now.

Contrast effects brightness. Brightness doesn't have as much effect on contrast.

Colour (Blue) and Tint (G/R) effect each other.

Colour Tone doesn't effect Colour/Tint - not enough to warrant adjusting anyway.

Brightness and contrast don't effect Colour and Tint and vise-versa.

So, you should be able to use the colour/tint settings for each mode below independent of brightness, contrast and temp you choose. For instance I might want more contrast meaning brightness also needs adjusting (down), but colour will be constant.

I generally stick to movie. Movie gives better blacks and looks a bit sharper but sometimes people faces are green depending on source. It's really noticeable in 24 - president palmer or other African Americans look sickly. Otherwise standard and movie are about the same. Don't use Dynamic of course, but listed it for completeness. You don't have any choice but to use standard in game mode, that's why I made them match fairly closely.

Mode: Standard

Cell Light: 12

Contrast: 95, 80

Brightness: 50, 55

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 33

Tint: G44/R56

Eco Sensor: On

Min Cell Light: 8

No Signal Power Off: 15min

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: On

Gamma: 0

RGB: N/A

Colour Space: Auto

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: 0

Colour Tone: Warm2

Size: 16:9/Screen Fit

Digital Noise Filter: Auto

MPEG Noise FIlter: Auto

HDMI Black Level: Normal

Film Mode: Auto1

Pixel Shift: 4,4,1

Auto Protection TIme: 10min

Side Grey: Light

Mode: Movie

Max Cell Light: 15

Contrast: 88 - 95

Brightness: 58

Colour: 52

Tint: G47/R53

Min Cell Light: 10

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Colour Space: Auto

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: 0

Colour Tone: Warm2

Mode: Dynamic

Max Cell Light: 10 - 15

Contrast: 88 - 95

Brightness: 50

Colour: 43

Tint: G38/R62

Min Cell Light: 5

Black Tone: N/A

Dynamic Contrast: N/A

Gamma: N/A

Colour Space: N/A

Flesh Tone: N/A

Edge Enhancement: N/A

Colour Tone: Normal

Edited by Waynohh

I also made some images for testing aspect ratio / overscan.

1920x1080 on my system as "16:9" in "PC mode" and "Screen Fit" in "normal HDMI mode" give the exact same image.

1280x720 in 16:9/PC and Screen Fit/normal are 1 or 2 lines different at the top (and bottom).

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7894/screenfit1080p.png

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7880/screenfit720p.png

Edited by Waynohh

Well the saga continues and I ask for assistance from others with this TV.

To set the scene, I turn my TV off at the power point each night.

I tried the TV last night and all was good. I turned it off at the power point and went to bed.

Went to try the TV tonight and the bugger is dead. I tried twenty times to turn the power on and off to no avail.

I got my 240v buzzer out to prove that power was getting to the back of the TV. (Wall mounted so a bit awkward) and all is good.

I got the sh1ts, and organised a replacement to come Tuesday, and got out at old 32 inch LCD to get us through for the next few days (This sat on the lowline cupbaord and the new plasma wasnt touched again.)

After dinner I tried the power point again, and the LED on the tv flickered and came on...all working again..

BUT

When I power the unit up, the LED flickers, and the old unit didnt.

Can someone who has this unit try theirs and see if the LED on the lower right of the panel flickers if the power it up from a power point?

I am perplexed, as after installing home theatre for over 10 years, I have never come across an intermittent dodgey panel like this....and the bugger just has to be mine.....

Hi Beach Boy, Would like to help, BUT, I'm a little confused. Forgive me but, are you saying that you DON"T usually use the on/off button on the remote? -You just use the 240v power point switch on the wall to turn it on & off? If so,....... isn't that a bit unusual?

To turn it off, I use the remote 1st to put tv in "standby" & then switch off the power at the wall.

To turn it on, I switch power point on, red led lights up on bottom right, it's now in standby again - the red light is NOT flickering, then I press On/Off button on remote. If yours isn't doing this, then I agree that it's faulty.

Or,.... are you saying that powering on/off at the wall is the only way you can get your faulty tv to turn on?

As I said, I'd like to help, but, I'm a little reluctant to try using the power point as the ONLY way to turn panel on & off - even as an experiment. Could you elaborate on why you need to use this (unusual) method? -Is it because that's the only way you can get it to work? If so, as I said, yours is (of course) definitely faulty.

No, to turn the tv on, I turn the power point on and then use the remote or the front panel.

To turn off I use the remote then turn the power point off.

My concern is when I the power point on, the standby LED on the front of the panel flickers then stays illuminated.

When the panel was thought to be dead, the LED did nothing.......

Just tried mine again. The red standby light blinked ONCE very, very quickly when power point was switched on, & then it stayed on. It goes off when I then turn panel on with remote.

I think you may have a dud.

Guest Popele

Hello,

Can you confirm that problem with flicker exist in Samsung Ps-50C550 and C530 ?

Problem is widely familiar for PS50B550 and PS50B551 but in new plasmas... i didn't find enough information about it.

Only few users wrote few posts but there were only mentions.

Please, somebody who have this plasma, write something about this problem in your samsung.

Thx...

Thanks for the Picture settings guys.

As for sound settings, can anyone shed some light?

You can tell I am not your HiFi guru..

Cheers,

Jeb

Don't know about "sound settings", but I can say that the Dolby surround output from the Optical Out port on this panel is awesome when hooked up to a receiver. Even some of the ads are in surround sound! I've only recently noticed this...- when I couldn't get to the remote's "mute" button in time to kill the usual volume blast from an ad break. I NEVER suffer an ad break without muting audio, so, actually hearing an ad in surround sound has been a novel (albeit once only) experience.

Edited by Honest John

Don't know about "sound settings", but I can say that the Dolby surround output from the Optical Out port on this panel is awesome when hooked up to a receiver. Even some of the ads are in surround sound! I've only recently noticed this...- when I couldn't get to the remote's "mute" button in time to kill the usual volume blast from an ad break. I NEVER suffer an ad break without muting audio, so, actually hearing an ad in surround sound has been a novel (albeit once only) experience.

Via redemption, I will be getting the Samsung Blue Ray surround sound system which has Optical in, so this would suffice in sound?

Once again sorry for the stupid questions, but not a huge Hi Fi guru.

Thanks,

Jeb

Via redemption, I will be getting the Samsung Blue Ray surround sound system which has Optical in, so this would suffice in sound?

Once again sorry for the stupid questions, but not a huge Hi Fi guru.

Thanks,

Jeb

That should be all you'll need, as well, of course, as an optical (Toslink) cable (make sure it's long enough). If you don't already have a cable, eBay is much cheaper ($5-$10) than your local HN etc. I'd also suggest calling Samsung Tech Support to find out more about inputs on the Bonus HT system. There's not much info around about these systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, is there anyway to make the source list window automatically close after say 5-10 seconds?

Now after selecting source I have to click enter for the window to disappear or have to wait for 1 minute for it to close.

I know I sound lazy but the source button and enter button are quite far away from each other.

Thanks a lot

Fil

Hi guys - ive had my set for about a week now (pretty cotent with it so far) however mine appears to have a problem when playing a PS3 via HDMI /Wii via Component - it appears to crash/black out the screen when there is a screen resolution change. I need to turn the TV on an doff again to regain picture - However it is intermittent, anyone else had this issue with their TV?

Before I ring Samsung I just want to see if there is a known problem:)

Thanks

SAMSUNGS RESPONSE:

For 2D TV purchases made prior to 1st May - we cannot give you a definite answer as to whether you will be eligible for the claim. This is what we have been told by Samsung. I believe they are working on it and hopefully they can be flexible with the policy, however we cannot guarantee that this will be the case.

Was there any confirmation on how flexible the policy was on receiving the bonus?

I purchased this set 3 days after the deadline. Would they be flexible enough in this circumstance?

• 3 weeks later...

Have had my ps50c550 for 4 days now, and am trying to workout how to rid the lip sync issue the tv has.

Has anybody had/got this issue. When watching through my Toppy 5000 there is no issue.

I have tried running the aerial directly to the tv and the lip sync is still there.

Have had no luck finding any tip or trick to remedy the problem.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks cubby..

Have had my ps50c550 for 4 days now, and am trying to workout how to rid the lip sync issue the tv has.

Has anybody had/got this issue. When watching through my Toppy 5000 there is no issue.

I have tried running the aerial directly to the tv and the lip sync is still there.

Have had no luck finding any tip or trick to remedy the problem.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks cubby..

Have fixed the lip sync problem, uploaded newer firmware from Samsung website and all seems

good now. :)

how do you check what the latest firmware is on your panel and how do you know what firmware is on the samsung website as it does not say anything like (e.g. firmware 1.1.1.)

To see what firmware is on your panel goto the Menu then scroll to Support menu

Goto Software Upgrade and it shows you the current version on the Panel

this is the same spot where you download new firmware to the panel also

the firmware that have I loaded now says 2010/06/23_001017 not exactly sure what the previous

version was saying think it was a 2010 version 1016

The firmware version on the website is 1017.1

regards cubby

I need some help from some owners of this tv please.

A mate of mine has this tv and he is using a media player on it and the samsung home theatre model: Ht-c5550W.

The tv will often comes up with the message: Resolution not supported for this tv. (something like that)

He has the latest firmware(bar the one just released 2 days ago) he also has the latest firmware on the home theatre.

I have disabled the anynet connect on both units.

He has had his tv replaced along with the home theatre so we can eliminate either of them from being faulty.

Sometimes it will work for 10-15 mins and then that stupid message comes up again.

Now I have checked the resolution setting on the media player and it is set to auto, and is connected via hdmi. The home theatre is connected via hdmi also.

I have replaced the hdmi cables so that is not the fault either.

This one is really doing my head in to find out the logical reason as I am certain after he has had both tv and home theatre replaced with new ones that it is user fault.

Please help.

I need some help from some owners of this tv please.

A mate of mine has this tv and he is using a media player on it and the samsung home theatre model: Ht-c5550W.

The tv will often comes up with the message: Resolution not supported for this tv. (something like that)

He has the latest firmware(bar the one just released 2 days ago) he also has the latest firmware on the home theatre.

I have disabled the anynet connect on both units.

He has had his tv replaced along with the home theatre so we can eliminate either of them from being faulty.

Sometimes it will work for 10-15 mins and then that stupid message comes up again.

Now I have checked the resolution setting on the media player and it is set to auto, and is connected via hdmi. The home theatre is connected via hdmi also.

I have replaced the hdmi cables so that is not the fault either.

This one is really doing my head in to find out the logical reason as I am certain after he has had both tv and home theatre replaced with new ones that it is user fault.

Please help.

I have one of these TVs and run a Media PC. I have the PC resolution set to HDTV, 1080p 50hz and use a HDMI cable. I have no problems with 'lost' resolution.

Two questions:

1) does this happen with both devices?

2) why are using 'auto' resolution for the media player, why not set it to the prefered fixed resolution?

I have one of these TVs and run a Media PC. I have the PC resolution set to HDTV, 1080p 50hz and use a HDMI cable. I have no problems with 'lost' resolution.

Two questions:

1) does this happen with both devices?

2) why are using 'auto' resolution for the media player, why not set it to the prefered fixed resolution?

Thanks for trying to help.

Yes it happens on both devices.

It is set at auto because the highest it can be set at is 1080p and seeing that the tv can handle anything up to 1080p it should not be an issue.

We have eliminated the media player as the cause because it works fine on his other samsung tv's.

Besides the media player why is this tv having issues with this samsung home theatre blu ray system?

If you want to play dodgy video downloaded from the net use a PC for playback, problem solved permanently.

You could try locking the media player to a single resolution rather than “auto”.