Samsung Ps50c550 Discussion Thread

Actually, when it came to the Samsung PS63C7000 plasma Myer actually beat Digital Centre's prices, so it's not always as simple as wholesaler is cheaper than retailer.

If they do then they would be the only retailer.

I guess its because they dont sell many tv's compared to good guys, harveys.jb ect.

They are just trying to get market share.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do then they would be the only retailer.

I guess its because they dont sell many tv's compared to good guys, harveys.jb ect.

They are just trying to get market share.

Actually with the PS58C7000 and the PS63C7000 Samsung plasmas HN and Good Guys have also been beating the prices of online e-tailers, and they do sell a lot of TVs!

Edited by purpleninja

Green question peoples - but what is WOW??? :|

So anyone else seen any good deals around $1400 with 5yr warranty?

Cheers

"Wow Sight & Sound" is a high profile, discount hi-fi chain in Queensland. They're probably JB's main rival in Qld. I don't know if they're interstate though.

Now would have to be a good time to shop-around for a good deal - end of financial year sales - falling Aussie $ - Samsung's bonus promo ending soon.

However, I see that Panasonic is matching Samsung's bonus on its new range of neo tv's. They even match the $45 shipping fee! Gotta be worth a look!

By the way, Samsung advised that my bonus Home Theatre System is approved. It didn't take long, but the real test of course will be how long before delivery. I'll keep you posted......

What is the Enthernet connection used for?

Worthwhile hooking up?

On some TVs it's for getting firmware updates, for some it is to play content from networked PCs, on others it is to access internet material - e.g. the internet apps that a lot of manufacturers are bringing out

I purchased one yesterday, $1500 cash incl. 5 years warranty at HN Corio, and got HDMI cable thrown in. I went to GG Hoppers Xing, felt like telling the sales guy who told me he is on this forum according to him acting as a potential buyer, that he was full of sh|t, would do the TV for $1400 but $300 for 5 yr warranty and wouldnt go below 1700 (+no stock for world cup), drove down the road towards home, know I could have got it cheaper than $1500, but honestly could not be farked driving from shop to shop, and they had it in stock. Ill pick it up on Saturday.

HJ, where is the serial number?

Thanks

What is the Enthernet connection used for?

Worthwhile hooking up?

Hi Beach Boy, In addition to being able to network your tv with your computer for movie streaming, photos etc, another interesting feature has just come up. Telstra has announced a deal with Samsung & LG whereby owners of their ethernet enabled tv's will be able to access additional Telstra tv channels & other content on line. My local rag, The Courier Mail , ran a story in yesterday's technology suppliment (p6). The story was essentially about Teltra's new "T-Box", but it also mentioned....

"Telstra's content will also be available on new internet-enabled Samsung TV's and the LG Infinia range for BigPond customers. TV shows and movies can be reached through an on-screen widget." (page 6)

Apparently (I'm not a Telstra customer) Telstra has at least 6 extra channels available on line - with more to come. Google "Telstra T-Box" for more info.

I purchased one yesterday, $1500 cash incl. 5 years warranty at HN Corio, and got HDMI cable thrown in. I went to GG Hoppers Xing, felt like telling the sales guy who told me he is on this forum according to him acting as a potential buyer, that he was full of sh|t, would do the TV for $1400 but $300 for 5 yr warranty and wouldnt go below 1700 (+no stock for world cup), drove down the road towards home, know I could have got it cheaper than $1500, but honestly could not be farked driving from shop to shop, and they had it in stock. Ill pick it up on Saturday.

HJ, where is the serial number?

Thanks

Hi, It's on the box, and on the back of the tv.

Green question peoples - but what is WOW??? :|

So anyone else seen any good deals around $1400 with 5yr warranty?

Cheers

Just found WOW's catalogue in today's junk mail. Apart from Qld, they're in Albury, Canberra, Coff's Harbour, Darwin & Shepparton

I just accepted Easicares offer to replace my old 50 inch plasma which is too expensive to repair.

Accepted this tv as a replacement, got the Samsung Bluray deal and 4 years addition warranty for $169, along with delivery.

Way to go, Beach Boy!!!

Got my C550

Paid 1500 from Videopro including 5 yr warranty and delivery.

Notes:

Buzzes.

Buzzes louder on white screens.

Buzzes louder on black screens.

Allshare/DLNA/PC Share Manager/Serviio/Tversity over 10/100 doesn't work. The TV disconnects after a few seconds.

Anything static for a few minutes leaves IR.

A screen wipe as screen saver instead of power off and instead of having to dig into 5 levels of menus manually would be nice.

I don't use the speakers, but for the few minutes they were on they sounded ok for what they are.

Good value overall I think if you can work around the pitfalls.

Decent settings OOTB, but not for the breaking in period. I've messed around with them for a couple of days and keep resetting back to defaults.

Inputs:

DTV

DVI-HDMI - 8800GT Windows 7 Media Center 0-255 registry hack

Component 1 - Wii

Settings:

--Picture menu

Mode: Movie

Cell Light: 15

Contrast: 95

Brightness: 55

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: G50/R50

Eco Solution:

Energy Saving: Off

Eco sensor: On

Min Cell Light: 10

No Signal Power Off: 15min

Advanced Settings:

Black tone: Off

Dynamic contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Color space: Auto

Flesh tone: 0

Edge enhancement: Off

White Balance:

defaults

Picture Options:

Color tone: Warm2

Size: Screen Fit

Digital Noise Filter: On

MPEG Noise Filter: On

HDMI black level: Normal

Film mode: Off

Edited by Waynohh

Just got mine today as well. Looks OK so far but will play a bit more. No buzzing yet, so hopefully no issues with that. I have a question if someone can help out:

I've connected my HTPC with ATI HD4550 card VIA HDMI to the TV (HDMI Port 1). Resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, 60Hz. Everything looks OK except there is a black border around the image i.e. ouput from the HTPC doesn't fill the screen edge-to-edge. Any ideas?? I can't see anything wrong with the HTPC & TV settings, but I'm wondering if it could be the GFX card not scaling properly?

Just got mine today as well. Looks OK so far but will play a bit more. No buzzing yet, so hopefully no issues with that. I have a question if someone can help out:

I've connected my HTPC with ATI HD4550 card VIA HDMI to the TV (HDMI Port 1). Resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, 60Hz. Everything looks OK except there is a black border around the image i.e. ouput from the HTPC doesn't fill the screen edge-to-edge. Any ideas?? I can't see anything wrong with the HTPC & TV settings, but I'm wondering if it could be the GFX card not scaling properly?

http://superuser.com/questions/57239/overs...-control-center

When I tried an ATI card at 720p it hard a border too, though it wasn't thin, it was excessive.

It probably adds the border to offset overscan. There should be an option in CCC to disable or set overscan to 0%.

OK thanks guys. I found similar info after some research (yeah, I know .... JFGI :) ). Also, to get the best result the "Name" of the HDMI channel should be set to "PC DVI". All text is then crisp & clear

Edited by QuickSilver

Notes:

Buzzes.

Buzzes louder on white screens.

Buzzes louder on black screens.

Allshare/DLNA/PC Share Manager/Serviio/Tversity over 10/100 doesn't work. The TV disconnects after a few seconds.

Anything static for a few minutes leaves IR.

Settings:

--Picture menu

Mode: Movie

Cell Light: 15

Contrast: 95

Brightness: 55

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: G50/R50

The buzz will be less noticeable when you set your contrast somewhere between 70 & 80, also drop the cell light ;)

Your high contrast setting will also be the cause of your IR. It will improve with time.

Edited by Struggo

Has anybody else noticed that the screen is VERY reflective? It's really distracting. Previously I had a Viewsonic LCD hooked up to the HTPC which didn't reflect nearly as much as the Sammy. Is this just the way all plasmas are?

Yep.

Yep.

Has anyone received their Bonus Home Theatre System yet?

I had Samsung's final confirmation of approval (last step) 2 weeks ago, having lodged the 1st step on line on 14th May. Samsung advises that it can take up to 10 weeks for delivery, but was wondering if anyone had actually received theirs yet, and how long it took after final confirmation of approval from Samsung.

Has anybody else noticed that the screen is VERY reflective? It's really distracting. Previously I had a Viewsonic LCD hooked up to the HTPC which didn't reflect nearly as much as the Sammy. Is this just the way all plasmas are?

All "good" LCD's as well.

Anti reflective screens degrade image quality.

Edited by Owen

Hi, I'm new to the thread in Brisbane. Anyone person in particular to seek at JB HiFi Indoor for the best deal on the PS50C550?

Hi, & welcome. Do you have to buy there? If not, I suggest you read my earlier post (in this thread) with buying advice to TBar. I think you may be able to do better than JB's price.