Samsung Ps50c550 Discussion Thread

Thanks John. Sorry to hear the C550 is giving you trouble. It does sound like it would be a good step-up from the B850 though. The comparison sheet on the Samsung AU website isn't too helpful though. That's why I came here - to understand the differences better. User input is infinitely more helpful than some incomplete web page comparison. :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear the C550 is giving you trouble. It does sound like it would be a good step-up from the B850 though.

I don't think the C550 is a step-up from the B850. The B850 has a far superior filter and a better screen IMO. The equivalent screen now would be the C7000

Thanks John. Sorry to hear the C550 is giving you trouble. It does sound like it would be a good step-up from the B850 though. The comparison sheet on the Samsung AU website isn't too helpful though. That's why I came here - to understand the differences better. User input is infinitely more helpful than some incomplete web page comparison. :)

The C550 is a bottom of the 2010 1080 range, what on earth makes you think it would be better than the B850 which was the 2009 top model?

Samsungs have not fundamentally improved since last year and the main practical difference between the 2009 models was the screen filter which was by far the best on the B850, no way the C550 is even close.

Looking for new Samsung. Is the light reflection really an issue for plasmas and not LCDs? My TV will be abou 4 metres directly opposite a window. Sunny in the morings, not direct sunlight after that but it is the main source of light for the room.

Looking for new Samsung. Is the light reflection really an issue for plasmas and not LCDs? My TV will be abou 4 metres directly opposite a window. Sunny in the morings, not direct sunlight after that but it is the main source of light for the room.

If its plasma you can tilt it to eliminate reflection & not lose picture quality.

I have a similar setup; if you want to watch TV during the day IME you will need to close the curtains on those windows directly opposite the TV.

Greetings all!

Fresh blood here.

Just got my c550 couple days ago - $1400, standard warranty, RetraVision Osborne Park, WA

They told me that i cant get the bonus - but i did sent in for it anyway...

Coming from Bravia KF55" lcd projection (yes, had the damn optical block shift - dark stripe top of the screen, besides that - great tv!...shame it broke, very disappointed in bravias after that)

Very happy with the image on the Sammy, but there is "slight" (totally subjective) buzzing noise, and it seems to ricochet of the walls, right into my ears, the freq. is so annoying...

I know its the caps, but will it get better, or worse?

Im using it primarily as a monitor for a very nice rig ive built - hold the hate on that, please.

Now, can someone more experienced with plasma, and our model in peticular please post the break in settings? thank You

tolski.

<a  href=th.f424374b76.jpg' alt='th.f424374b76.jp

Edited by tolski

Greetings all!

Fresh blood here.

Just got my c550 couple days ago - $1400, standard warranty, RetraVision Osborne Park, WA

They told me that i cant get the bonus - but i did sent in for it anyway...

Coming from Bravia KF55" lcd projection (yes, had the damn optical block shift - dark stripe top of the screen, besides that - great tv!...shame it broke, very disappointed in bravias after that)

Very happy with the image on the Sammy, but there is "slight" (totally subjective) buzzing noise, and it seems to ricochet of the walls, right into my ears, the freq. is so annoying...

I know its the caps, but will it get better, or worse?

Im using it primarily as a monitor for a very nice rig ive built - hold the hate on that, please.

Now, can someone more experienced with plasma, and our model in peticular please post the break in settings? thank You

tolski.

<a  href=th.f424374b76.jpg' alt='th.f424374b76.jp

Hi, & welcome - congrats on your new tv - enjoy!

From what I've read on other models, it appears that all you need to do is keep Mode to "standard", not "dynamic" or "movie", & keep brightness & contrast below 50 for 1st 200 hrs. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there doesn't appear to be any way to check "hours of use" in Service Menu ... bummer!

You should find that Dynamic mode has a high default setting for "Contrast" so a high contrast setting in "Movie" mode is as bad as a high contrast setting in "Dynamic" mode.

A "mode" is just a bunch of preset settings, you can make "Dynamic" mode safe by turning down the contrast but 50% is unnecessarily low, 70% should be fine.

The "Brightness" control sets the black level of the TV and is therefor irrelevant to run in or burn in risk.

Even after "run in" if you feel the need to turn the contrast control up to 90% or more to get the look you like you should really have purchased an LCD.

Edited by Owen

You should find that Dynamic mode has a high default setting for "Contrast" so a high contrast setting in "Movie" mode is as bad as a high contrast setting in "Dynamic" mode.

A "mode" is just a bunch of preset settings, you can make "Dynamic" mode safe by turning down the contrast but 50% is unnecessarily low, 70% should be fine.

The "Brightness" control sets the black level of the TV and is therefor irrelevant to run or burn in risk.

Even after "run in" if you feel the need to turn the contrast control up to 90% or more to get the look you like you should really have purchased an LCD.

Hi Owen, Thanks for that. I gotta admit that I've been persevering with <50% contrast, & it looks terrible! <70% is much more acceptable.

Regards

Thank you guys, for a prompt response.

Im sorry about your mac issue HJ - im strictly PC, so i cant help there unfortunately, wish i could - pc wise on the other hand, there is very little my PC's/i cant do.

In our respective realms of domination, of course...not omnipotent....yet.

But using a mac, is like wearing handcuffs for me - yes i got one, but i hate it and its for emergency's...like when i want to impress a girl who worships at the altar of the forbidden fruit....damn you S. Jobs!...Wozniak is cool though - great engineer.

Yes, the tv is really bright! i have couple of smaller lcd's in the room with it, so i can tell the diff - dynamic is way to bright for my knacked eyes...

Loving it as my main monitor, its perfect and really cheap augmentation for my rig (pic in last post)

I remember paying 3k cash 4 years ago for the lcd projection bravia... Sammy cost me less than my SSD's LOL, 5" smaller screen though.

Hoping i get over the buzzing, its louder than my PC - it might be an issue since i love my sound, and i have a very, very good setup

- from the sound card, through the amps to the speakers - its all good!

Maybe my brain will get used to it (not likely, i will continue to obsess about it, if it doesn't subside)...if i payed more for it, i probably wouldn't even mention the noise....ahhh sour grapes...damn you little fox!

Damn our predictable irrationality!

Ill stick with it until its broken-in, if its still gonna buzz over my speakers when i listen to Vivaldi or Rossini, or pink Floyds' David Gilmores' guitar work...its got to go.

Im not going to switch off the main display, when i want to work and listen to some albums.

But im very, very picky...i think the right word here is anal

Thanks.

tolski

Edited by tolski

Don't tell me they've gone back to buzzing plasma's again. You shouldn't be able to hear any buzz more than 1-2 feet away from the TV. Anything more than that and I would return it.

Hey Diesel! (love the name, had a good mate with this exact nick, eons ago...in a different world...)

As i mentioned before, the level and persistence of the noise is totally subjective, and i know most of my friends would be so happy with a new tv, and would never notice any buzzz...but im a bit different, we all are...

Please, i dont want to come off as a condescending or patronizing inexperienced kid - but this TV, its remote, the stand and overall build quality begins to look and feel like a cheap piece of s**t exponentially with every day that passes...hey - it is cheap, and every plasma has the buzz - right.

Not good enough Samsung...no cigar

I might do the "Dark Night" pool cue thing with my friends, see who really wants this buzzing bastard... BOOOOO, or is it buzzzzzzzzzz...

tolski

Edited by tolski

Hey Diesel! (love the name, had a good mate with this exact nick, eons ago...in a different world...)

As i mentioned before, the level and persistence of the noise is totally subjective, and i know most of my friends would be so happy with a new tv, and would never notice any buzzz...but im a bit different, we all are...

Please, i dont want to come off as a condescending or patronizing inexperienced kid - but this TV, its remote, the stand and overall build quality begins to look and feel like a cheap piece of s**t exponentially with every day that passes...hey - it is cheap, and every plasma has the buzz - right.

Not good enough Samsung...no cigar

I might do the "Dark Night" pool cue thing with my friends, see who really wants this buzzing bastard... BOOOOO, or is it buzzzzzzzzzz...

tolski

Hi, tolski My new C550 has a very low level "buzz", but it's inaudible if you're more than a metre away. However, if yours is annoying you , I agree, take it back! - before your 14 day return option has expired.

If my 50B550 is anything to go by, the buzzing will only get louder as the number of viewing hours increases, even more so if you are using low contrast to run the set in then turn it up. Buzzing on my set is much more noticable with a predominantly white image on screen and increases in volume if the contrast is turned up.

At its worst it's still quieter than the hard drive in my PVR though, so not a big deal for me. 99.9% of the time I have to strain my ears to hear the buzzing even with the sound muted. Not so for some display model sets I've seen in stores; some you'd have a hard time having a conversation in the same room!

Thanks guys,

Its such a damn shame, cause the image quality is superb on that panel - but i cant expect perfection for that price.

Mom loves the TV, so i will give it to her after ive broken it in - she doesn't mind that the thing sits crooked on the stand either.

Im gonna grab another bravia lcd, found one in JB today 55" screen, same size as my old one - should get it for around 22-23 hundred cash.

Again, the noise is 100% subjective - i can hear skype calling downstairs on a laptop, at a mates house, while he sits next to me oblivious...

I hear this thing over 5TB worth of HDD's, huge PSU, water cooling pump etc - and im on a bysy road in Subi - busy all the time...having only one good eye might have something to do with it.

Thanks again.

tolski

Edited by tolski

Hi TBAR, If you read my earlier postings, you'll see the "bundle" details - ie PS50C550 + 5yr warranty + wall bracket. You'll also see that I've said you DON"T go to WOW BEFORE you've done the leg-work and negotiated the ABSOLUTE BEST possible price elsewhere. THEN, and only then, .........you go to WOW. Perhaps I didn't make it clear, Go to WOW LAST! Their policy ( & I think it's great) is that they'll beat anyone else's price by 10% - provided that the other dealer has the item in stock. Incidentally, they phone the other dealer & speak to the Salesperson to confirm your stated price & stock availability. By the way, I don't work for WOW, and nor does my brother-in-law!

Furthermore, reading my earlier posts will also reveal that "the warranty deal" from the Good Guys expired yesterday. So, I'm assuming that you won't be able to get anything like my price now, unfortunately - BUT,...... I did make it quite clear that their deal had a very short shelf life ie it finished yesterday. (I'm assuming that you've come to this thread only recently)

With regard to my receipt, Samsung's requirement is for ORIGINAL receipt to be mailed in (Registered), NOT A COPY, to claim Home Theatre Bonus Offer - they give an assurance that it will be returned. When it comes back, you (& anyone else ) will be most welcome to a copy ( However, as I've said, GG's warranty price has been & gone). By the way, I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to be gained by fudging figures. All I'm trying to do is help other members, like you, get the best deal they can. Again, I urge you to read ALL of my posts in this thread, - eg those to netimages, where I proposed a shared deal to get the best possible price for both of us _ that's where I'm coming from... I hope this reply will help you get a much better price than $1600. (I had beaten that long before I went to the GG's). However, as you know, you'll need to spend a bit of time visiting all the dealers to save some $$$'s . It took me more than 2 weeks to get my price of $1400, but, I think it was time well spent. I'd be happy to comment on any new price you get - You've gotta be able to beat $1600, by a long way. Good luck with it, when you do get the PS50C550, I'm sure you'll be wrapped1 - I am!

Regardz

PS Still need help Networking on a Mac, any ideas , anybody?

A few weeks ago the good guys had a special for warranty on tv's, it was half price. That special is finished now and a 5 year warranty is an extra $200 than what it was when this poster got it.

I looked at this tv today, it was on sale reduced from $1699 to $1489.

I called around a few retailers and the best they would do is $1400-$1450 FOR TV + WARRANTY WAS AROUND $199-$299 FOR 5 YEARS.

Green question peoples - but what is WOW??? :|

So anyone else seen any good deals around $1400 with 5yr warranty?

Cheers

just purchased one the other (ps50c550) day at http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/ for $1399 including 5yr warranty

had none in stock but expecting in about 1 week.

did shop around, most would price match on tv price but not come to the party on the 5yr warranty

Green question peoples - but what is WOW??? :|

So anyone else seen any good deals around $1400 with 5yr warranty?

Cheers

If you're interested I got the Samsung PS50C550 [$1231] at JB HIFI in Melbourne, plus delivery [$70] and 5 year warranty [$249] for total $1550.

But they're as scarce as hen's teeth in the JB's, only 1 was in stock unsold on my side of town, till i got it. Word is that the US is taking priority and oz is only getting a small trickle of them at present.

I can vouch for the C550 picture and feature set as brilliant.

With the C550 you get " The promotion commences on 1 May 2010 and closes at 5:00 pm AEST on 30 June 2010 (“Offer Period”). All valid claims received by the Promoter where a 2D TV has been purchased will be awarded the gift of a HT–C5500 Blu-Ray Home Theatre System valued at $799.00 (RRP) ". And if you can get $400 for the HT system on eBay, that means the 50" Full HD Plasma can end up costing under $1000!!!

Aus$ dropped 10 cents to US$ in past month. Now is time to buy before price rises [at best stays the same] in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers – qqqq.

These guys are wholesalers not retailers!

Of course nobody can match their prices.

Actually, when it came to the Samsung PS63C7000 plasma Myer actually beat Digital Centre's prices, so it's not always as simple as wholesaler is cheaper than retailer.