Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Finally resolved the issue with a busted 63c7000 almost 2 years ago. bought through Myer with extended warranty. The TV crapped out 13 months after purchase. United warranty arranged to pick it up, said that the TV wasn't repairable and would replace it with a 5 series. Told them to go jump, which they did, (went broke). Then nothing. I thought that would be it but eventually contacted Myer and negotiated a crap settlement $1900. Better than nothing I suppose.

• 1 month later...

While my bad experience with my PS63C7000 has forever tainted my liking towards Samsung and reading up all the problems people have experienced in the past, I would never buy a tv without an extended warranty, probably 5 years, and I would only buy from places like JB or HN, where the new consumer laws that kicked in beginning of last year I think make it so much easier to swap out faulty tv's. HN total care warranty plans means they will replace it no questions asked. These 2 places probably offer better extended warranty plans than say places like Myer. The big 2 have a much volume turnover in electrical goods than myer and smaller places so you will have better luck with repairs and replacements.

I still think Samsung tv's are very good but their service is apalling and will never buy a Samsung again.

• 3 weeks later...

same issue here... purple haze.

Had the screen replaced 6 months ago for the exact same issue. Harvey Norman extended warranty service was prompt then. Called them yesterday with the exact same issue and they came out today... very fast. The technician advised that it is this model that has the issue and replacing the screen is likely only a short term fix. I refused to have the screen replaced again as knowing my luck, it will go again just after the extended warranty runs out.

I have rung Samsung and advised them that the TV is not fit for purpose and will pursue my Statutory warranty rights under the Fair Warrant Charter. I have also rung Harvey Norman with the same request to replace the unit. The Franchise Manager at Harvey Norman has agreed to pursue this for me so will keep posted on Harvey Norman's progress. Note that the Fair Warranty Charter states "It is the retailer who has the obligation to honour the statutory warranty".

I just had the upper buffer lower buffer PCB and y main board replaced in my 63c7000 for the pink banding and the screen looks great no banding what so ever. This was a 2 day turn around from when they picked the screen up it was all done on extended warranty. I went and bought a new 60'' f8500 expecting it to be a long process but it was fixed the next day I have to say the picture looks fantastic as I have put the f8500 in the family room and have been comparing same scenes on bluray I love the picture on my 63 it looks better than when I first got it the f8500 is definitely blacker but only just. Hope the 63 goes well for a few more years now.

• 5 months later...

Well AussieBalboa was correct. The purple haze has returned, bigger and better than ever. Contacted JB extended warranty. This time instead of Mr Fixit (or whoever) they handed it over to Samsung. Samsung came and tried one fix - I was at work but when I got home seemed OK. That lasted about 24 hours. They came back and did another fix which worked, but within 20 minutes the purple haze was back.

Apparently after three repair attempts, they hand it over to Samsung resolution team. They rang me earlier this afternoon with some options.

One of which is pick a new model and we'll tell how much t will cost to upgrade to that model...pro rata was the expression they used but I'm thinking it's more like a trade in.

Anyway some quick questions:

1. What model(s) should I consider switching to? I'm guessing the 8000 or 8500 series with slightly bigger panel.
  2. Anybody been through a similar deal with Samsung and was it reasonably cost effective?

Thanks

blairy

EDIT:I did use multiquote but quotes didn't come up. See page 222 for history

Edited by blairy

I was one of the first people on this forum to purchase this set. I returned it as I was very uncomfortable with the amount of heat this thing was producing at the rear of the set. It has no fans and the back panel was very hot to touch. I think this will always be an issue with Samsung plasma TV's as extreme heat and electronics do not get along.

The poor cooling mechanism of this TV will always result in issues in the future.

I replaced it with a 65vt20 and have since given that TV to my daughter who uses it at least 8 hours a day as she has young kids. The TV has operated flawlessly and I attribute that to the cooling fans on the TV. It is never hot to touch at the rear.

PS I know own a 65vt60 and there are fans on that model which incidentally are quiet :)

The fans on the VT appear to be quiet on a select few or dependent of month of manufacture, over on whirlpool in the VT60 thread there are numerous people complaining of the noise.

Unfortunately it seems no TV is without a flaw, although I can't fault the F8500. The C7000 series was a lemon.

Cheers

DK

The fans on the VT appear to be quiet on a select few or dependent of month of manufacture, over on whirlpool in the VT60 thread there are numerous people complaining of the noise.

Unfortunately it seems no TV is without a flaw, although I can't fault the F8500. The C7000 series was a lemon.

Cheers

DK

The fan noise on the vt60 has been rectified by Panasonic via a fix. It seems from people I spoke to it was a very painless excercise. Samsung customer service on the otherhand :hyper:

I was one of the first people on this forum to purchase this set. I returned it as I was very uncomfortable with the amount of heat this thing was producing at the rear of the set. It has no fans and the back panel was very hot to touch. I think this will always be an issue with Samsung plasma TV's as extreme heat and electronics do not get along.

The poor cooling mechanism of this TV will always result in issues in the future.

I replaced it with a 65vt20 and have since given that TV to my daughter who uses it at least 8 hours a day as she has young kids. The TV has operated flawlessly and I attribute that to the cooling fans on the TV. It is never hot to touch at the rear.

PS I know own a 65vt60 and there are fans on that model which incidentally are quiet :)

I have a different take on the fan cooled solution.

Fans and the heat sinks they cool are susceptible to clogging with dust over time, and the fans will eventually fail. Both situations cause overheating well above designed operating temperatures and failures.

The Samsung approach is to use the back panel as a passive heat sink, this means the back will get hot, but so what its supposed to. There are no internal heat sinks to get clogged up or fans to fail and make noise.

I'm a Panasonic owner, the fans in my 65VT60 are silent but I will have to keep and eye on dust accumulation.

Edited by Owen

I have a different take on the fan cooled solution.

Fans and the heat sinks they cool are susceptible to clogging with dust over time, and the fans will eventually fail. Both situations cause overheating well above designed operating temperatures and failures.

The Samsung approach is to use the back panel as a passive heat sink, this means the back will get hot, but so what its supposed to. There are no internal heat sinks to get clogged up or fans to fail and make noise.

I'm a Panasonic owner, the fans in my 65VT60 are silent but I will have to keep and eye on dust accumulation.

Thanks for chiming in Owen. Rest assured as I was told by the Pana tech that if the fans fail on any Pana set the set will go into error mode hence warning you of malfunction.

Thanks DK. After some back an forth with Samsung they've now agreed to a full refund. Purchased set in Feb 2011 so I'm happy with that.

Another option was exchange for a current model. They use a pro rata valuation of my old set and their RRP for new set. Not a good deal.

Samsung said no stock of 60" F8500 and only five of the 64". No more stock coming, new models released in April.

Rather than wait for refund I grabbed a 60" ST60 on Thursday.

Cheers

blairy

I guess it had to happen eventually - my PS58C7000 has the dreaded pink/purple haze and I have booked it in for a service through an extended warranty with HN. Shame no more 60" F8500s are available - hopefully the new model continues to improve (even if only slightly) from each preceeding model and by the time I am likely to sort through the hassle of an 'effective' repair and more probably need for replacement then the new model will be ready.

I note my extended warranty states '...we will replace your orginal item with an item that is the nearest equivalent (when it was new)...' and that 'if the same component fails 3 or more times ... we will repace the item' so hopefully that bodes well for a reasonable outcome and for the investment in the warranty (which I took out because of the early indications of possible problems with this series).

Anyone have any good hints in dealing with a HN extended warranty process?

• 8 years later...
  • 3 months later...

The Samsung S95B has just got a Australian release date of 29th August.

You can Pre-Order from JB, 65" price is $4495 compared to the SONY 65" A95K which was released on August 8th, which uses the exact same panel at $5995

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/samsung-s95-65-oled-4k-smart-tv-2022

By the way, the problems with the Samsung S95B as mentioned in the video above have now been fixed with a software update, but apparently some new ones have appeared [not quite sure what they are TBH]

The release of both of these TV's has made LG drop the price of it's 2022 65" G2 by $800, now $4495 [ comes with wall mount, stand is a extra $350]

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just set up a 55" S95B. So far very impressed.

I have an 55" Q8FN in another room and it's a step up from that.

Only been 1/2 a day so still learning my way around.

Harmony remote had it on their site as well :)