Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Recently noticed when playing a bluray (Bruce Springsteen London Calling) some flaws in the PQ. Typically this movie is from the crowd perspective, however every now and again is shot from behind the performers looking out on the corwd and the sky. In some spots, the sky at the top of my panel goes all distorted and blurry across the top of the screen. Band about 2 -3 inches I'd guess (on a 58" panel).

I had been thinking this was the disc or maybe my BD player.

Earlier this afternoon, my son is watching jarhead via foxtel. Similar scene with sky across the top and same blurry/distortion.

Has Anybody else seen anything similar? Is this something I can (hopefully) fix by playing around with the settings?

Cheers

blairy

OK, played around with this as it's getting worse. Also reviewed posts on this thread and I too have the dreaded purple/pink haze. Most noticeable on white/bright backgrounds.

Warranty expired about March this year. EW with JB hifi. Off on whatever merry-go-round this will involve I suppose.

blairy

UPDATE: dug out my receipt...thank goodness the missus is a bit of a bower bird :lol: . Seems I have a 4 year EW (code is 4EWPPT3D2000).

Anybody made any claims with JB HiFi EW lately?

Cheers

blairy

Edited by blairy

OK, played around with this as it's getting worse. Also reviewed posts on this thread and I too have the dreaded purple/pink haze. Most noticeable on white/bright backgrounds.

Warranty expired about March this year. EW with JB hifi. Off on whatever merry-go-round this will involve I suppose.

blairy

UPDATE: dug out my receipt...thank goodness the missus is a bit of a bower bird :lol: . Seems I have a 4 year EW (code is 4EWPPT3D2000).

Anybody made any claims with JB HiFi EW lately?

Cheers

blairy

Yes. As posted in this thread my TV was repaired via JB EW. Pretty simple, called up, TV was picked up, wait 2 months TV returned, fixed no problem .

Yes. As posted in this thread my TV was repaired via JB EW. Pretty simple, called up, TV was picked up, wait 2 months TV returned, fixed no problem .

Thanks c799651, that's good to know, although 2 months is a bloody long time for a repair :) but it is what it is and I'm not paying.

Of course if they can't replace the screen I may be getting a replacement panel I guess.

cheers

blairy

Thanks c799651, that's good to know, although 2 months is a bloody long time for a repair :) but it is what it is and I'm not paying.

Of course if they can't replace the screen I may be getting a replacement panel I guess.

cheers

blairy

Panel picked up today by courier (not techie). He suggested I ring middle of next week to see how long it will take.

blairy

Edited by blairy

• 2 weeks later...

Rang last week and quote approved and waiting on parts to come in.

They rang me yesterday and organised to deliver repaired TV tomorrow.

Pretty quick although will wait until I see if problem has been solved before I get too excited.

blairy

TV returned Thursday. Replaced screen.

All seems to be working as it should.

Very quick process and result (so far) is at it should be.

Very happy camper with EW from JB HiFi

blairy

All all these returns and repairs for the dreaded "purple haze" issue? I have the same tv, it is now 20 months old and been playing up for past 4-6 weeks and the purple haze getting worse and worse as time has gone on. I did the online application for repair under warranty and waited for a call or email. Only to find out they reply to the online log about 2 weeks later. I was sure i bought the extended 2 year warranty at David Jones, but i cant seem to see it (although at the time i did ask them to match a competitor including the extended warranty (and they said they would). Anyways, i paid for it via my Visa Platinum, which doubles the original manufacturer's warranty...so im covered till August. Chubb Insurance is calling me to tomorow to confirm that im covered. Hopefully they can pick it up before the end of week. I dont mind if they have it for 4 weeks, as we are finally moving into the new house in early july. Whats the average turn around time at the moment? Anyone get an upgrade on tv as opposed to repair?

he pr

When i mentioned i was on this form to Samsung and this is a common fault with the tv, the guy in the call centre (in india im assuming)said its been a common problem "overseas but not many returns for purple haze in Australia" I call bullshit on that line. Im very suprised that for a nearly $4,000 tv, that has a common fault appear AFTER the first 12 months would not be covered (extended warranty or not). It would be reasonable to expect for the price of the product to expect a longer term of reliable use. I think one would have a good claim with ACCC if Samsung didnt resolve to customers satisfaction.

Pretty poor form i reckon.

Well the time has come to part out my Samsungs.

I have a 61" and a 50"

Excellent for someone who needs the parts.

Lamp has only a 2-3 months usage.

Also, the 61" has new blue polariser.

Make an offer for both! They have to go!

Samsung have not responded in 2 days to my request for a replacement under statutory warranty or the opportunity for a refund. i advise i know of numerous people who have had this issue and were giving the choice of repair, replacement or refund. I also went into Harvey Norman Nunawading on Saturday and told the Samsung Rep that was on the floor, she said "she didnt deal with technical issues" at which point the Harvey Norman TV sales guy jumped in and said " oh, you have the ghosting, purple haze issue?" i said, yeah, he replies with " Yeah, 1 in 12 tvs had that issue".

Update: Samsung Repair Centre had pushed forward with booking in a repair job, even though i put it on hold. I then rang back to say i wanted to purse my rights under stat warranty; and they claimed they never recieved my email (with quote) and job number...So i resent it to them. This time i got an email within 5 minutes saying it had been escalated to a " Resolutions Manager" and i would hear back within 24 hours...that was yesterday.

If i dont hear from anyone tomorrow, im going to ring them - and it wont be pleasant.

Davep, you know whats even funnier? Visa hadnt approved the repair under the extended warranty, so i dont know whether Samsung had just decided they were going to repair it (and not make anyone pay for it) or assume i would pay for it....cause Visa hadnt approved the repair, as they requested "futher information" from me.. I replied to them saying " i was holding the repair under extended warranty pending replacement claim under statutory warranty'.

So not sure why Samsung was pushing forward for repair appointment when it wasnt clear , who was paying for it. When i told the repair centre not to come out "until i had persued my stat claim" the girl goes " OKAY, thats fine, but we have the replacement panel in stock and if you wait, it may go to someone else, then you could be waiting weeks for a new panel to get delivered". I said thats fine and that id take my chances. lol

Update: Samsung rang and said they can "upgrade me to the E8000" for a small fee as it is out of my original manufacturer's warranty. When i asked how much are you talking, the guy said "i dont know, how much did you pay, where did you buy it from"? I said, "mate, all my details are on file including my receipt". I said " I bought it from David Jones in Doncaster and i paid $3600 for it". He said "oh, thats for that, can i get back to you with a price on Tuesday???? WTF?

Update: Samsung rang and said they can "upgrade me to the E8000" for a small fee as it is out of my original manufacturer's warranty. When i asked how much are you talking, the guy said "i dont know, how much did you pay, where did you buy it from"? I said, "mate, all my details are on file including my receipt". I said " I bought it from David Jones in Doncaster and i paid $3600 for it". He said "oh, thats for that, can i get back to you with a price on Tuesday???? WTF?

Looks like you're finally getting somewhere. I think it's definitely worth upgrading to a E8000 from the C7000, since the new one doesn't have the 50Hz and Cinema Smooth black level bugs, so black level should be much improved for TV and Blu-ray. The only major feature missing is MJC - I don't like MJC personally, but some people do. Also the stand is a bit ugly, but I think it was in this thread or another one that it's mentioned it's possible to swap stands between the C7000 and the E8000.

With the 64" E8000 only around $3200 at the shops, hopefully they won't make you pay too much to upgrade, if anything at all.

Thanks HTPC Freak, yeah, i guess its a matter of what they value the current model at - considering they were going to spend $2400 to repair it, you reckon they would just do a straight swap and keep a loyal samsung customer happy. Rather than ask for more money and leave a bad taste in my mouth...

Update: So samsung ring today and say what i have sent and uploaded is my order/pick up receipt NOT my purchase receipt. Therefore until David Jones find it (as my house is packed in boxes at the moment) i cant go any further. Can you believe a company as big as david jones dont have computer systems with your details on it. So they said they needed 2-3 days to dig out the hard copy!!!! I am sure now, they will find extended warranty on the receipt and im pushing for the upgrade to the new tv!!!

Update: No reply from Samsung since last Thursday, who insisted they still havent got my original receipt. I called them thursday and they had then confirmed it has come through NOW....and that i would receive a call Friday. No call Friday...or Today. Now entering our 4th week...sorry 5th week.

ok. well,they hadnt rung me, so after 3 transfers to other departments and 15 min on hold, i finally got somewhere. samsung offered me an upgrade to the E8000 64 PLASMA in an exchange program. long story short...will cost me 291 bucks to get rid of the lemon and get the new model or they will fo free repair? what would you guys do?

Ideally, they should just give you the new TV for free, but in my opinion, the E8000 is definitely worth $291 more than the C7000 (if only for the fact that they fixed the 50 Hz and Cinema Smooth black level bugs, which means deeper blacks for pretty much everything we watch here in Australia). If it was me, I'd go for the E8000 over any repairs, assuming the E8000 has a brand new 12 month warranty.

Not sure if this is possible, you should probably ring Visa (or their warranty company) and find out. I think the usual process for claiming extended warranty is probably similar to what you just went through with Samsung (tech visits, quotes, their decision to repair or replace), so you probably won't be able to claim back the upgrade cost. Most of these extended warranties state that if the manufacturer/retailer has taken action (or has responsibility for it, eg. manufacturer's warranty), then they won't get involved.