Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I finally got around to getting my crimson purple haze problem addressed. The warranty people have picked the TV up. Hopefully it will not be too long. It's scary how bad the old LCD TV is now I can barely watch it!

More than two weeks since TV was picked up. I rang for an update and didn't really get a very good answer ....."waiting for parts" was the unconvincing response...

More than two weeks since TV was picked up. I rang for an update and didn't really get a very good answer ....."waiting for parts" was the unconvincing response...

Mine took 2 Months to get repaired. The panel(s) were imported for my repair.

Don't hold your breath

Edited by pmunger

Just put in a service call for the purple haze problem on my 58". It's out of Samsung warranty, but still well within the extended warranty from Good Guys/Horizon. Service call on Monday. Will post updates.

Technicians just left. Tried to adjust the voltage (they said that Samsung had issued a bulletin on this issue, that the voltage was too low on these sets), and it made most of the purple go away, but not completely (still a hard to see patch in the top right corner - most evident on the Google Maps app with the map completely zoomed out so you can see more of the white areas). So had to take it in for further diagnosis, 7 to 10 working days to find out what's the next course of action, and so the wait begins.

It may be that I've lived with this problem for too long, that it's done permanent damage to the panel.

Smaller replacement LED TV already moved into position to prepare of the long wait, not very optimistic it will all be resolved until a couple of months later.

Edited by HTPCFreak

• 3 weeks later...

An update as promised. Rang the repairer and was told that a quote had already been provided to the warranty people (Horizon) a week ago, and that the response was that the TV would be replaced. Supposedly, Horizon should have already contacted me regarding this, but they didn't, so I ran them (15 minutes on hold later) and was told that the TV would still be repaired instead of replaced, and that there was some kind of communication breakdown between them and the repairer that caused the confusion. Was told the repairer would contact me later today with more information.

So I got the call from the repairer, expecting the usual line about "waiting for parts", except the good news is that the part will be here tomorrow, and the TV would be fixed and delivered by Friday. Couldn't get any additional information on what "part" was needed though, but it sounds like it was the panel or something expensive since the Horizon had to "investigate other options" before agreeing to the repair.

Now hoping there are no more mix ups, and I get my fixed TV back on Friday. Will post back here again to confirm.

Edited by HTPCFreak

Got the TV back today. Apparently the main board was changed, as it was "misfiring". Was told that if I could still see some areas with a purple tinge from this point onwards, this would be more akin to temporary burn-in and should sort itself out over time. Sure enough, there were a few areas that still sort of looked very slight purple tinge when displaying a full white screen, and while it does require having to stare at the TV at close range to be visible, I'm not quite confident it will sort itself out in time.

The infamous Samsung buzz seems to have been reduced though.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not quite confident it will sort itself out in time.

Don't like self-quoting, but looks like I was right. The "haze" seems to be coming back stronger again. Got the technician to come in again, but he tried to imply that it was burn-in, or something caused by the type of TV program I was watching ... don't remember watching random purple blotches!

Looks like the repair company mis-diagnosed the problem, and is now looking for a way out that doesn't involve doing a full panel replacement, considering they've already put in a new main board.

I finally got around to getting my crimson purple haze problem addressed. The warranty people have picked the TV up. Hopefully it will not be too long. It's scary how bad the old LCD TV is now I can barely watch it!

2 months to the day the TV is back. Looks like the issue has been fixed. It's going to take a while to get used to the big screen again..

Looks like the repair company mis-diagnosed the problem, and is now looking for a way out that doesn't involve doing a full panel replacement, considering they've already put in a new main board.

Repair company now confirms a panel replacement is needed. So now have to wait and see what the warranty people will do ...

Using an old portable USB HDD I played around with teh timeshift and recordsing functions of this TV. Ordinarily I don't use these too much as I have foxtel iQHD. That was probably late last year.

Recently one of the kids took the HDD, attached it to a laptop and it no longer works as it should on windows laptop/PC. Also tried it on a different PC. The HDD doesn't show up in My Computer, however it does show as attached when you go to the "Safely Remove Hardware..." option.

Anybody else had this problem? Anybod know how to fix it?

cheers

blairy

Have been suffering purple haze on my 63C7000 for a little while, but it has started to get to a point that the Mrs has commented... Time to resolve it! Is the concensus that this is going to require a panel replacement, and therefore is not economical to repair? Will be outside warranty, but inside EW (from HN).

Thanks for any help. :D

Have been suffering purple haze on my 63C7000 for a little while, but it has started to get to a point that the Mrs has commented... Time to resolve it! Is the concensus that this is going to require a panel replacement, and therefore is not economical to repair? Will be outside warranty, but inside EW (from HN).

Thanks for any help. :D

Because I had extended warrantee, the cost (to me) was zero. However I did see that the actual repair cost to the insurance company was $1200!

I’m very glad I got EW!

Worst part of the repair is the 2 month wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, some progress. Just got a call from Good Guys that I will be getting a replacement for my pink haze 58". The replacement will be a Samsung PS60E8000GM, which I think is the newest model. I will have to arrange for delivery (at my own cost) once the set arrives at the store in a few days.

It's not yet listed on the Samsung AU website, but it looks to be a comparable set to my 58" (was afraid they would give me a 6500), although only 3 HDMI ports vs the four I have now seems a bit stingy.

Overall, pretty happy with the experience, even though it took 3 month to get resolved (but I only went without the TV for about 3 weeks in February).

Finally, some progress. Just got a call from Good Guys that I will be getting a replacement for my pink haze 58". The replacement will be a Samsung PS60E8000GM, which I think is the newest model. I will have to arrange for delivery (at my own cost) once the set arrives at the store in a few days.

It's not yet listed on the Samsung AU website, but it looks to be a comparable set to my 58" (was afraid they would give me a 6500), although only 3 HDMI ports vs the four I have now seems a bit stingy.

Overall, pretty happy with the experience, even though it took 3 month to get resolved (but I only went without the TV for about 3 weeks in February).

That's sounds like a very good outcome, hope the new panel has no trouble.

I had a 63C7000 for about 2 weeks before it failed and I returned it. After looking at the number of posts in this thread. ITS SAFE TO SAY

The C7000 series from SAMSUNG ARE COMPLETE JUNK !

Hope you all have learnt a lesson about what to buy. Puts flame suit on :)

To be fair to Samsung, they did sell a boatload of these TVs (most popular 3D plasma range in Aus back when it was new?), and so even if there are 200 people complaining about it on here, that's still a drop in the ocean compared to how many were sold. Also, looking at the other threads in this and other forums, it's not like the other brands don't have their own problems.

It seems that at the prices Samsung (and to a lesser degree, Panasonic) can offer us these sets, and considering how quickly new models get released, you can have great picture quality, the latest features, and all the gadgets, but a few things will have to be sacrificed as well - like having to live with build quality problems, and the myriad of design flaws that never seem to get fixed (some are intentional/compromises).

and so even if there are 200 people complaining about it on here, that's still a drop in the ocean compared to how many were sold.

There is so llittle traffic on this forum these days. The 200 on here could easily be traslated by a factor of 1000 based on how many they sold if not more.

Most people faced with the range of issues are either not critical viewers, or throw them out and never buy another expensive Samsung TV again.

There is so llittle traffic on this forum these days. The 200 on here could easily be traslated by a factor of 1000 based on how many they sold if not more.

Most people faced with the range of issues are either not critical viewers, or throw them out and never buy another expensive Samsung TV again.

I also follow the couple of threads over at Whirlpool on the purple haze issue, there's certainly a lot, but given that Samsung and extended warranties people have been doing full panel replacements and set replacements, it can't be anywhere near a majority, or they'll have gone bankrupt by now. Samsung quotes something like a 2-5% fault rate, the actual figure is probably a bit higher, but it's not like 30% or 50%.

The purple haze problem I think is bad enough to even affect the most undiscerning viewer, and I doubt they'll just throw out a $2000+ TV, without at least first checking the Internet (which is where threads like this comes in - the WP threads come up first if you search for "samsung plasma purple"). If they did throw it out, then that's their loss, since under statutory warranty, they should be able to get Samsung to fix it for free if they don't have an extended warranty. People who are happy with their sets would almost never post on forums, so if you look at this and other forums, all you see are people complaining about various problems.

The buzzing issue is probably a bit more common though, but it seems to be a design compromise (probably to do with the thinness of the panel), like brightness pops from last year's Samsung models, as well as Panasonic's more flickery picture and black rise over time (they even got sued for this particular problem).

Edited by HTPCFreak

Recently noticed when playing a bluray (Bruce Springsteen London Calling) some flaws in the PQ. Typically this movie is from the crowd perspective, however every now and again is shot from behind the performers looking out on the corwd and the sky. In some spots, the sky at the top of my panel goes all distorted and blurry across the top of the screen. Band about 2 -3 inches I'd guess (on a 58" panel).

I had been thinking this was the disc or maybe my BD player.

Earlier this afternoon, my son is watching jarhead via foxtel. Similar scene with sky across the top and same blurry/distortion.

Has Anybody else seen anything similar? Is this something I can (hopefully) fix by playing around with the settings?

Cheers

blairy

Edited by blairy

The 80 to 90% of people who dont experience any problems from their TV (whatever brand) dont post.

There are way less reported problems with cheap Chinese no name brand than with the big name ones, is that because are are less problems with these cheap brands or because there are relatively few sold and therefore very few people who could be bothered complaining on a forum.

The 80 to 90% of people who dont experience any problems from their TV (whatever brand) dont post.

There are way less reported problems with cheap Chinese no name brand than with the big name ones, is that because are are less problems with these cheap brands or because there are relatively few sold and therefore very few people who could be bothered complaining on a forum.

I suspect that people who buy the really cheap brands, don't even know that there IS a forum and certainly wouldn't have done any research before buying!

Miata, people paying off a home mortgage and supporting a young family may have so little disposable income that is is either a cheap brand TV, or no TV.

I think that when a person, whatever their financial means, acquires a cheap brand product their expectations are less so unless the product doesn't work at all, they won't complain. An example of that is speaker quality. I have a cheap TV I use as a large pc 3D monitor [a Soniq 42" LCD]. Its speaker quality is very thin or "tinny", but I accept that as normal for a low range TV set.

Miata, people paying off a home mortgage and supporting a young family may have so little disposable income that is is either a cheap brand TV, or no TV.

I think that when a person, whatever their financial means, acquires a cheap brand product their expectations are less so unless the product doesn't work at all, they won't complain. An example of that is speaker quality. I have a cheap TV I use as a large pc 3D monitor [a Soniq 42" LCD]. Its speaker quality is very thin or "tinny", but I accept that as normal for a low range TV set.

There are those though, who don't realise that there is a significant difference in the quality or performance and do little research, the same is true for cars, in fact for any consumer product. A large number of people simply do not realise that there are forums for just about everything.

There are those though, who don't realise that there is a significant difference in the quality or performance and do little research, the same is true for cars, in fact for any consumer product. A large number of people simply do not realise that there are forums for just about everything.

It used to be that people would buy a good brand, for the advertised price, and it would last a lifetime, or at least many many years.

These days a lot of people are time poor. Technology is changing fast. It becomes obsolescent, and isn't cost effective to repair. So the temptation is to buy the cheapest, and move on to the next decision.

Just getting a landline connected these days is a "decision fest". Is that with a mobile phone? With cable broadband, ADSL, or a 3G (or 4G) USB device? A 24 month plan?

Getting the electricity connected at your new address? You could spend a whole afternoon researching your options.

I guess what I'm saying is that even if a person is aware of forums and review sites they may not feel they have the time to explore them. You'd think though, with a more expensive or significant purchase, people would find the time.

One relatively simple facet of life is going to the cinema (for those who go). I make it a habit to check out the reviews on http://www.rottentomatoes.com/ It takes very little time, and can help a great deal in choosing an appropriate movie.

Edited by MLXXX