Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Samsung's 12 month warranty means they will replace your set if deemed faulty beyond repair however many times within the 12 month warranty period. They may replace your tv 11 months into your Samsung warranty but doesn't mean you will get another 12 month's from the date they gave you another one, you get 12 months from the original date of purchase.

Once the extended warranty kicks in, it is then taken over and dealt with by a third party and in most contracts it usually states that when your tv is replaced your extended warranty is terminated. Bit of hard luck and considering there have been so many problems with Samsung's new range of plasma, the extended warranty will be good for one replacement and that's it. You'll have to take out another extended warranty. Sucks.

Your best outcome would be to get your money back within Samsung's warranty period and go and buy yourself a D8000. I managed to get my PS63C7000 fully refunded 5 months into my warranty but not without a **** fight with Samsung support. They have to be the worst bunch of idoit to deal with ever. Their service alone is another reason why I will never get a Samsung TV again.

In saying that, my brother bought a Samsung LED TV and has never had a problem with it.

Stay away from Samsung's plasma range.

Luck of the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so they can't repair these anymore?

I still have 4 years to run of my extended warranty with Retravision. The also claimed that they had the best extended warranties hahaha

It would be sweet if mine broke down before then so I could get a new one. I wouldn't be accepting anything less than the top of the line at the time. I paid over $3000 AUD for this thing.

On another note, has anyone tried the 3011 firmware update?

Edited by chromium

Wow, so they can't repair these anymore?

I still have 4 years to run of my extended warranty with Retravision. The also claimed that they had the best extended warranties hahaha

It would be sweet if mine broke down before then so I could get a new one. I wouldn't be accepting anything less than the top of the line at the time. I paid over $3000 AUD for this thing.

The manufacturer usally keeps stocks of parts for up to 5 years after the manfucture of a product, hence why they don't offer warranty's past 5 years in total. Depending on what's wrong with it, they may be able to replace the part but if it is something major and since the PS63C700 is no longer manufactured, it's probably up to their discretion as to how to replace it. In the end, it's probably easier to replace a whole TV than to ship a whole panel over say from east to west coast, which is what they were going to do with my TV before i had it refunded. As I said, you will have a better chance to get a new TV in the extended warranty period. I have a Sony LCD and I've thought much the same way. I have an extended 4 yr warranty on mine so if something happens to mine, they will replace it, with something as current and expensive as what I paid for mine. :)

Edited by pasadena

I still have 4 years to run of my extended warranty with Retravision.

It would be sweet if mine broke down before then so I could get a new one. I wouldn't be accepting anything less than the top of the line at the time.

I have an extended 4 yr warranty on mine so if something happens to mine, they will replace it, with something as current and expensive as what I paid for mine. :)

Just have a good look at your EW terms and conditions. Most just say they will replace with an "equivalent" replacement and so a fair bit of grey starts to slip in. 5 years after your TV was introduced, tech, prices and features change quite a bit, so an "equivalent" model in terms of features etc may be a mid range or even getting towards an entry level set.

Just have a good look at your EW terms and conditions. Most just say they will replace with an "equivalent" replacement and so a fair bit of grey starts to slip in. 5 years after your TV was introduced, tech, prices and features change quite a bit, so an "equivalent" model in terms of features etc may be a mid range or even getting towards an entry level set.

I am in the process of going through consumer affairs to argue like for like.

These are some of the differences between the 3 models. Are there any others that I have missed?

PS637000 PS64D550 PS64D8000

Real black filter yes no yes

Dynamic contrast ratio Mega DCR ? 10,000,000:1 20,000,000:1

HDMI 1.4 A / Return Ch. Support yes no yes

BD Wise yes no yes

Extended PVR yes no yes

I am in the process of going through consumer affairs to argue like for like.

These are some of the differences between the 3 models. Are there any others that I have missed?

the table didn't come out too well, here is another go

____________________________________PS637000___PS64D550____PS64D8000

Real black filter_________________________yes________no___________yes

Dynamic contrast ratio________________Mega DCR ?__10,000,000:1___20,000,000:1

HDMI 1.4 A / Return Ch. Support___________yes________no___________yes

BD Wise_______________________________yes________no___________yes

Extended PVR__________________________yes________no___________yes

• 2 weeks later...
Myer salepeople :rolleyes: will tell you anything to get the sale.

Best warranty out there is actually JB hifi's. They state will replace with equivalent so if it is c 7000 series replaced with d8000. Friends 7000 had purple haze and replaced by JB with D8000 of similar screen size. No stress. Think lumley's is the insurance company.

I've been putting up with the purple haze for a few months now. Been putting off ringing the warranty guys. This give me a little confidence I won't be wasting my time...

Actually came on here just to ask the same question? I've been cancelling the prompts to update as I wanted to find out if there are any issues.

I've been putting up with the purple haze for a few months now.

Also been putting up with the purple haze problem. Got the set from The Good Guys with EW from Horizon, reading the last few posts, beginning to worry about the replacement process if that's what's going to happen. Although apparently GG will allow you to use the balance from the replacement towards another brand/model according to their FAQ page, although if the balance is only for the D550, then that would still suck.

I have the purple haze issue with my PC58C7000 and reported under extended warranty. They are repairing mine by replacing the panel.

Problem is I haven't had a TV for a Month now, apparently the panel comes in from OS and the first one arrived broken.

The TV repair guys were surprised that insurance company (auclaim) authorised repair as cost was $1800 +

Anyway at least I will be able to use my existing 3D glasses and wont get crappy model subsitution

Perhaps you can push for repair if you are unhappy with the model they will replace set with?

I have the purple haze issue with my PC58C7000 and reported under extended warranty. They are repairing mine by replacing the panel.

Problem is I haven't had a TV for a Month now, apparently the panel comes in from OS and the first one arrived broken.

The TV repair guys were surprised that insurance company (auclaim) authorised repair as cost was $1800 +

Anyway at least I will be able to use my existing 3D glasses and wont get crappy model subsitution

Perhaps you can push for repair if you are unhappy with the model they will replace set with?

I was told they couldn't get the panel, so replacement of the panel was not an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap!!!!!

Milo, how is your claim going? My PS58C7000 has the purple haze issue and im 2 weeks out of the 12 month warranty / into the EW... and i bought it from Myer as well so its United Electrical. I cant believe they are trying to force that other rubbish set on you!!! Im gonna call UE tomorrow and start down what will likely be the same path as you... fark, this is likely going to be a total nightmare!! :(

Holy crap!!!!!

Milo, how is your claim going? My PS58C7000 has the purple haze issue and im 2 weeks out of the 12 month warranty / into the EW... and i bought it from Myer as well so its United Electrical. I cant believe they are trying to force that other rubbish set on you!!! Im gonna call UE tomorrow and start down what will likely be the same path as you... fark, this is likely going to be a total nightmare!! :(

I haven't got anywhere yet. Have been too busy at work etc. Will get onto samsung / comsumer affairs this week hopefully.

Holy crap!!!!!

They can probably repair yours - seems that new panels are available - I am still waiting, but should be in the next week.

Edited by pmunger

• 2 weeks later...

Have you got it back in time for Xmas pmunger? If so, happy with repair?

Playing a BD I got for Christmas today (Springsteen Live at Hyde Park). Disc is 1080i. I set my player to output 1080i thinking the TV would do the upscaling. Wanted to see if there was any difference.

I was a little surprsied to see the TV receives 1080i and outputs 1080i.

Had it for nearly a year now, you'd have thought I've worked this out by now :blush:

I let the player do the upscaling and I reckon it looks better than the 1080i.

blairy

Playing a BD I got for Christmas today (Springsteen Live at Hyde Park). Disc is 1080i. I set my player to output 1080i thinking the TV would do the upscaling. Wanted to see if there was any difference.

I was a little surprsied to see the TV receives 1080i and outputs 1080i.

Had it for nearly a year now, you'd have thought I've worked this out by now :blush:

I let the player do the upscaling and I reckon it looks better than the 1080i.

blairy

I think you'll find the tv is simply telling you that the input source is 1080i, not that it's displaying it in 1080i. It will be upscaled to 1080p by the tv. It's just a common misconception.

Andys.

How do you "upscale" 1920x1080 to 1920x1080??? 1080i only requires deinterlacing to 1080p not upscaling and the Sammy should do that job very well.

The Samsung is incapable of displaying 1080i natively, it is telling you the input format not the display format which is always 1080p no matter what the input.

I think you'll find the tv is simply telling you that the input source is 1080i, not that it's displaying it in 1080i. It will be upscaled to 1080p by the tv. It's just a common misconception.

Andys.

Thx Andys, that makes far more sense than what I though was going on. Cheers.

How do you "upscale" 1920x1080 to 1920x1080??? 1080i only requires deinterlacing to 1080p not upscaling and the Sammy should do that job very well.

The Samsung is incapable of displaying 1080i natively, it is telling you the input format not the display format which is always 1080p no matter what the input.

Owen, I'd like to be a smarty pants and say technically you're right...but in fact you're just plain old right, which based on my experience of your posts is not surprising. Cheers. The sansung did do a very good job although I thought my Oppo BD did a better job at deinterrlacing (and this really is just my opinioin). Of course in my setup having the Oppo do this is also more convenient as it defnitely does a better job with upscaling DVD's (and other video sources) than the samsung.

Cheers

blairy

Hey all, thought I'd share. My 63" was repaired by Samsung after failing to turn on(clicking sound). It was two months out of warranty. Samsung came to the party and covered the costs. After they fixed it the 3d wouldn't work, so the came out again and fixed that. Then I started to get a grey haze at the top right of the screen when full white was being displayed. They agreed to replace the unit(but due to it being out of warranty, I'd have to pay the difference) so I chose the 64" D8000.

The first one they brought had a dent in the bezel, so did the second. The third thankfully is ok. To samsungs credit, they even replaced all my 3d glasses with 2011 compatible ones(all 5 pairs). So I'm the owner of a 64" D8000 (QWERTY Remote and all) . The whole process took just over two months, and the whole time Samsung never, I repeat never returned our calls, my wife was constantly having to call them, even after they'd say they'd call. So with a lot of patience the matter is behind us(fingers crossed). One thing I have noticed, the D8000 runs damn hot, my c7000 never ran above body temp, whereas the d8000 is almost untouchable after 2 hours... Oh and I think the real black filter on the C7000 was better.

They can probably repair yours - seems that new panels are available - I am still waiting, but should be in the next week.

I managed to get Samsung to come out and check mine instead of the extender warranty ppl as it was so close to 12 month expirary (2 weeks out, but was happening before it expired) and i knew someone who used to work for Samsung. The tech guy was pleasent and literally just left now. The pink/purple haze appears to be gone. He said it was something to do with voltage, he tweaked and it seems to be sorted it. He also said i now have an extra 3 months warranty so if anything happens just call up again.

Ill watch some Frozen Planet eps this weekend to give it a good testing as they were what tripped it out the most!!

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (KenOath @ Dec 23 2011, 08:41 PM)

Have you got it back in time for Xmas pmunger? If so, happy with repair?

Yes got it Thursday -all good now.

The service guys said the replacement panel was a newer version, so hopefully this one lasts longer.

Cheers

I finally got around to getting my crimson purple haze problem addressed. The warranty people have picked the TV up. Hopefully it will not be too long. It's scary how bad the old LCD TV is now I can barely watch it!

Edited by c799651