Sign in to follow this  

Star Wars Blu-ray Set In The Works

Princess Leia in that outfit. That'll do me, thanks. Sold! :lol:

Anyway, I already have Spaceballs on Blu-ray. Isn't that close enough?

Anyway, I already have Spaceballs on Blu-ray. Isn't that close enough?

dark helmet is great (his schwartz is bigger than everyone else's) :lol:

but you can't beat the original - i use the same three scenes as bladernr does for demos

but i do like one scene in sith - the darth vader reveal at the end of the film

other than that , lucas really dropped the ball on these and fubar'd a great oppurtunity

For me, he jumped the shark with those teddy bear things (Ewoks) that, armed merely with rocks and sticks managed to defeat the Empire who was armed with the most technologically advanced and powerful weaponry and war machines. Right. The movie WAS saved due to a) The resolution of the story arc and b)the special effects. I mean any shot featuring the rebel fleet was simply art and had that 'real' feeling that you just don't seem to get with pure computer models. The later 3 ep's were total shite IMO and I won't be spending money on them. I'm not even sure I'll bother with the original trilogy if they are the versions that Lucas borked up by adding too much useless CGI and PC editing (HAN SHOT FIRST DAMMIT!).

I guess it's also a good object lesson in how society moves along, the generation that got the first trilogy was still appreciative of things like 'story' 'characters' and plot and had the mental facilities to follow it, the later three had none of those things but were successful anyway simply based on "Woah, great effects man, I must text that to all me mates, geez where's me iPhone gone?...." In short, in a world where money is king and rules supreme including in the arts and science there is no requirement or indeed integrity on the part of film makers (OK, mostly applies to Hollywood stuff I guess) to be loyal to their fan base or to take us on a journey by telling a story any more, I mean geez they even managed to bork up LOTR..... So there will always be a new generation of people growing up for who all the old stuff seems new and exciting and all of us old guys simply stop watching and listening, not cos we're old but cos we've seen it all before and there's nothing new.

rant rant

Poor casting really killed the last three movies, particularly the kid for the first one, and Hayden Christiansen (sp?) for the latter two. The kid was over the top. I can see why they wanted to have a positive character, to make the transition from good to bad more of an impact, however it was overdone. Hayden was just wooden and poor - there was nothing believable about his performances.

I didnt mind Ewan MacGregor, I though he nailed the character pretty well. I also didnt mind Liam Neeson all that much either.

I feel sorry for you guys.

I enjoyed all the SW movies and can't wait for the 6pack BD set. I think a lot of people take SW way more seriously than was ever intended. I have never undestood the Jar Jar hate that seems to be most prevalent or indeed the myriad of other things that people feel compelled to complain about. Maybe I have a high tolerance. Then again, I do have a list of films that make me gag: does anyone remember Ishtar?

Lucas released the 3 prequels to bring Star Wars to a new audience/generation, which worked.

To have left the older movies the way they were (which I personally would have preferred) would have made them look old and outdated compared to the new ones without the addition of new CGI effects.

The "Han shot first" issue is bad, but maybe new gen Y'ers would have cringed at seeing someone decide to shoot first... possibly another marketing decision or just blatant post 9/11 political correctness?

The prequels have their place as newer films, but don't campare really to the old 3. I still think of them as the newer SW even though the storline is the other way around.

The kid and Ja Ja in the first one made this appealing to a much broader audience. I don't think Lucas was set on pleasing die hard fans, moreso on making ALOT of money off something that wasn't expected to be so sucessful to begin with.

The Ewok's and their following movies were nothing but painful (remember "Caravan of Courage" or some such tripe?).

I will be hoping for the edited and unedited copies of the original 3 to be included on seamlessly branched discs with plenty of extra's. I will also be hoping for a reasonable price, but that is just pure fantasy so will likely wait until the price has halved.

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by jsmith

The "Han shot first" issue is bad, but maybe new gen Y'ers would have cringed at seeing someone decide to shoot first... possibly another marketing decision or just blatant post 9/11 political correctness?

But it was PRE-9/11, by 4 whole years!

OMG - conspiracy!!!

:P

(on-topic: yeah, I'll be buying the box set ... but I may never watch Episode I)

Then again, I do have a list of films that make me gag: does anyone remember Ishtar?

yes - and I have it on DVD - its a CLASSIC !! :P

Its sits 'nicely' in my 'flopbuster' section of my library, with Heaven's Gate, Hudson Hawk, Howard the Duck, and Pluto Nash :rolleyes:

here - grab urself a copy for less than $6 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ishtar-DVD-Warren-...8069&sr=8-1

Edited by tonyjg

I didn't think much of phantom menace apart from the pod race and the darth maul duel. The other two new ones

were quite good tho I thought. The originals were great tho. But Natalie portman > Carrie fisher

Those born after the release of the first 3 (or is that the second 3 ?) would probably find the acting in them a bit corny.

Those care bear ewoks also annoyed me in the ep 6

Episode one, was pretty good but spoilt by Jar Jar who probably appealed to a younger audience, it would be nice to produce

our own cuts, where we can take out the annoying bits.

I was thinking that watching the boat that rocks the other night, in the deleted scenes, how could he not put in the Abbey Road

scene, and the Get off my cloud dance ?

Hayden what's his face just whined his way through ep 2 and 3 and how could he ever become Darth Vader, they needed someone

older in ep 3, I actually liked the opening battle scene in episode 3, that will be good in Blu

So Lucas was never going to please every one, but give him credit for creating something that is part of popular culture.