Running Costs Plasma,led,lcd

Those standby light should be LED based and should consume minimal power... If the LED is on a black frame an easy solution is to use black electrical tape...

Probably the only good point with some LG LCDs I've seen is the 'on / standby' indicator is not bright enough to burn a hole through the moon. Instead its a pleasing difuse dim red light in standby and a difuse dim blue light when on. Both states are a blob about 1.5cm wide. The blue on state can even be turned off via a menu option.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about the heat generated as it would be very little, when your TV is in standby it is drawing electrical current.

But why is it drawing 39W doing when in standby mode?.. :wacko:... I turned mine off just to be safe I guess. :P

Just to convince you, switch everything off at the wall at night, everything with a standby light or clock that you don't use and check your power bill next quarter.

I have been doing that since I was a kid.. :P

Probably the only good point with some LG LCDs I've seen is the 'on / standby' indicator is not bright enough to burn a hole through the moon. Instead its a pleasing difuse dim red light in standby and a difuse dim blue light when on. Both states are a blob about 1.5cm wide. The blue on state can even be turned off via a menu option.

At least LG put some thought into it.. I hate bright indicators when the thing is on, esp when it's blue or white... Even my wife hates it.. :) The power indicators can get distracting even in a brighly lit room...

Edited by treblid

Just to convince you, switch everything off at the wall at night, everything with a standby light or clock that you don't use and check your power bill next quarter.

s

So anything else without standby lights or clocks (DVD players, AVRs, etc) should draw no electricity even if they're left plugged in?

So anything else without standby lights or clocks (DVD players, AVRs, etc) should draw no electricity even if they're left plugged in?

You'd hope so but not always the case.

I have a laptop that always emits a very soft high pitch buzzing even when off, you unplug it at the wall and it still buzzes because it's drawing from the battery.

Since I only use it at home I've removed the battery and run it solely on AC power. I shut it down with the mouse then switch it off at the wall. Sony tell me that is how it is designed it isn't a fault but the noise means something is running ....and wearing out. It sounds like a capacitor humming.

Many small appliances have a plug in lead with those black transformers that you plug into the wall socket (GPO - General Purpose Outlet). The transformer itself ideally doesn’t use power but there are losses which do cause these transformers to use some power.

Feel most wall transformers and you'll notice it is warm due to the losses in that transformer.

You're paying for that heat.

I know of old electricians who not only switch the power off at the wall but then go so far as to take the plug out of the GPO.

That mentality goes back to the old days when people were afraid of lightning strikes sending a bolt through the wall into the appliance and setting your house on fire.

Edit: after a Google I found this from one contributor

Looking around for appliances that draw NO power when off, I find very few in my house. There is an old-style radio with no lights or clock or remote -- when it's clicked off, it's really off... not many like that.

Fans and lamps draw no power, your washer and dryer probably don't, but your stove and microwave probably do. (I assume he means if they have a clock/lights in them) My coffee-pot does; my coffer grinder does not. A can opener does not.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

What a load of bah-hooey!.............................you can't just switch off a coal fired boiler .............................Sometimes a generating plant does produce more electricity than is consumed on its own grid. Usually they just sell the excess to other power grids....................Yes, it is true that off peak is cheaper to convince consumers to use less during peak times.

First you say its a load of bah-hoey, then in a later post you say basically what I was trying to say. Make up your mind StephenSLR. So is it true or not true that the large coal fired boilers (no need for acronyms here) keep burning heaps more coal than what is actually needed to meet off-peak electricity demand, just to keep the boilers going for the next day. That's what I was trying to say, excuse me if I wasn't technically correct. Positive criticism would have come across much better, instead you sound like someone boasting about their narrow knowledge just to put down someone else who is less knowledgeable.

And your statement that "off peak electricity is cheaper to convince consumers to use less during peak times", just doesn't make sense. It sounds like it came straight out of a power company marketing dept. It is cheaper because they have excess capacity, and are trying to convince consumers to use MORE electricity during OFF peak times. If the consumer/industry is willing and able to substitute off-peak for peak, then yes they may use less at peak times. I can remember not that long ago when off-peak electricity was only a tiny fraction (around 10%) of the cost of peak electricity, that certainly was not a marketing ploy.

.............................Energy conservation is not about saving energy, it's about not wasting it.

Given a choice, I rather have an energy efficiency than energy rating. (But other than computer PSUs, I don't think any other CE has this sorta rating). For me energy rating doesn't tell me anything. I dun care about an energy/water efficient washing machine if it doesn't clean my clothes properly!, or a energy efficient fridge that can't keep my milk from turning sour.....................

.....................or a energy efficient dishwasher that saves 8 litres of water (I'd rather save water by take a leak out the back, and save a couple of flushes). Or a 3-4 star reverse cycle heating/cooling thingo, that uses 3000-4000W cooling and heating for hours on end - I thought electric heaters went out decades ago. Or a 4 star "energy efficient" house that uses huge amounts of electricity simply becuase of its size (not to mention the 55 downlights). Or the 2 tonne family 4WD, say no more.

I like your way of thinking treblid, you sum it up well with "its not about saving energy, it's about not wasting it" -Its not the little things we all do to save energy that's going to make a difference, its our whole lifestyle.

Its not the little things we all do to save energy that's going to make a difference, its our whole lifestyle.

I read a transcript of a radio show where 'living green' was being discussed. The 'super-green' person listed out the many ways they saved electricity by turning various devices off and on, while the other person quite rightly pointed out that all the savings the super-green person had made were blown away completely and totally by that person driving the car down to the shop to buy a carton of milk instead of walking.

Whilst we can all do the little things at home, it is the work place and big industry where most power is used, yet most work places don't even have a policy for reduction or going green.

BTW, the easiest way to save money and energy around the home is to change your heating/cooling habits, whilst also switching to a solar or continuous gas hot water system. Don't worry about that little red light on your TV ;) .

I read a transcript of a radio show where 'living green' was being discussed. The 'super-green' person listed out the many ways they saved electricity by turning various devices off and on, while the other person quite rightly pointed out that all the savings the super-green person had made were blown away completely and totally by that person driving the car down to the shop to buy a carton of milk instead of walking.

:lol: :lol:

Whilst we can all do the little things at home, it is the work place and big industry where most power is used, yet most work places don't even have a policy for reduction or going green.

+1. Unfortunately some buildings are just not energy efficient.. Newer buildings designed for this will help I guess, but tearing down the old ones and rebuild isn't feasible as yet.

BTW, the easiest way to save money and energy around the home is to change your heating/cooling habits, whilst also switching to a solar or continuous gas hot water system. Don't worry about that little red light on your TV ;) .

+1.. Insulation really helps alot... A small place help (makes cleaning easy too)... The little light is only a problem when the TV is on I guess... Luckily my current TV only lights up when the TV is on standby.

Yeah just like the water restrictions,people used less water less money coming into Sydney Water then they increased the price of water to maintain revenue what a load of s.h.i.t.

cheers laurie

Yeah, and after seeing the other nights current affairs story about electricity prices it looks like everyone will need to be trading their TV in for a book read under candle light while wrapped in a blanket for warmth :lol:

So is it true or not true that the large coal fired boilers (no need for acronyms here) keep burning heaps more coal than what is actually needed to meet off-peak electricity demand, just to keep the boilers going for the next day.

Yes my apologies to you, it is definitely true you can't just switch boilers on and off like a car engine, they have to heat up to peak and take considerable time.

As an aside, I worked on the Shell refinery and SOCOG were trying to see if Shell (Clyde refinery) could switch off the flare stacks during the olympics so the Olympic flame would be the only one burning in the area.

Shell gave them a blatant NO - it takes three weeks from a cold start to get their equipment to the right temperature to process the oil.

My argument was the notion that so much excess electricity is wasted into thin air is not true, a boiler is just one part of a larger grid and the excess electricity gets transferred somewhere else. Someone else here also backed that up.

The 'load of bah-hooey' comment was directed at the advertising. I wasn't putting down yourself, by no means.

My pet peeve is when some advertiser takes a tid-bit of science, puts some spin on it and misinforms or tries to frighten the masses to take advantage.

There is discussion here on that very thing.

Samsung Led Marketing Slammed By Regulator

your statement that "off peak electricity is cheaper to convince consumers to use less during peak times", just doesn't make sense. It sounds like it came straight out of a power company marketing dept. It is cheaper because they have excess capacity, and are trying to convince consumers to use MORE electricity during OFF peak times.

You are correct and sorry I didn't word it the way I thought it.

To use your words, "excuse me if I wasn't technically correct. Positive criticism would have come across much better"

I did mean to say, by dangling this carrot the consumer could re-arrange their electricity pattern to transfer their daytime usage to the night time to take advantage. This is more attractive to companies that have the luxury of transferring their operations to night times and maybe the little consumer who may want to do his washing off peak instead of midday, etc.. I didn't mean the more attractive price off peak would make people use less overall electricity.

I don't like to boast and I can admit when I'm wrong, no harsh feelings I'm not out to start arguments saying my knowledge is bigger than yours, etc.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

Yeah, and after seeing the other nights current affairs story about electricity prices it looks like everyone will need to be trading their TV in for a book read under candle light while wrapped in a blanket for warmth :lol:

Every year the power/gas consumption grows, and in WA western power cant' keep up.

No gas in winter, no power in summer. Really a blessing this year coz with fresh transfomers (or something) and a lot of luck, my suburb suffered no blackouts during the Perth hail storm.. :ninja::P

Good idea to have blankets and candles (I use LED torches now) around, + supply of fresh water, food and a radio... We don't have a radio... Not one that runs on hand or batteries anyway...

Or read books during the daytime.. ^_^

Or a 4 star "energy efficient" house that uses huge amounts of electricity simply becuase of its size (not to mention the 55 downlights).

Missed your post.. :)

But there are downsides to a small place too... When it comes to A/V (which is what this forum is all about), you just can't beat physics... The place I live in, unfortunately is not suitable for A/V... :( x infinity. Small spaces can work, but it prob has to designed from the ground up.. Retrofitting a small space for A/V is not easy.

I like your way of thinking treblid, you sum it up well with "its not about saving energy, it's about not wasting it" -Its not the little things we all do to save energy that's going to make a difference, its our whole lifestyle.

That's always the point when it comes to energy conservation (efficiency)... Even the english definition says it as such. Not sure when it's hijacked to be something else... Alot of the "green" things aren't green at all. e.g. CFL bulbs that burn out after a few months, batteries, electric cars, etc...

That said I'm not really a greeny.. I just have an energy budget (and I equate that to money, i.e. bills) that I try to adhere to as much as I can.. For me the only thing that can't be turned off realistically is the fridge, everything else is a luxury... :P

Edited by treblid

Yeah just like the water restrictions, people used less water less money coming into Sydney Water then they increased the price of water to maintain revenue what a load of s.h.i.t.

I think Sydney Water increase their prices to pay for desalination plants, upgrading and maintaining their overused inadequate system, etc.

They will always be raising their prices for something but not because people are using less water and they want to keep their wallets topped up - they will find other ways of doing that.

I don't know if we are using less water as a whole, in Sydney our population is growing and more boats keep coming in filling our detention centres, :P. We only have a limited amount of water. S.W. want each of us to use less because now there are now more of us.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

I don't know if we are using less water as a whole, in Sydney our population is growing and more boats keep coming in filling our detention centres, :P.

I reckon it should be per caipta consumption, rather than as a whole! Then that would be a meaningful comparison.

I arrived back home and the first thing I did was turn the TV back on at the wall.

I heard a click from inside the box, I guess this equates to some sort of standby.

The set has no standby light when you switch it off at the TV and it takes about 5 seconds to screen an image when you turn it on at the set so I'm not sure what that click represents but I'm pretty sure I'm paying for it.

I think I may switch it off at the wall more often particularly if I go away for weekends and such.

s

• 7 months later...
Guest LeeLoyd

If we talk about to the appliances, we could have a good choice to have best things in our home. This might be important for the efficient cost of the appliances. Just like the air conditioner, we need to have a best unit to make it compatible in your home.

My TV shows

Edited by LeeLoyd