Samsung 2010 Pricing For Oz

There is also no guarantee the new models will be better than the 2009 models either.

Very true, but as there won't be any more 2009 models on sale in the coming months it will become a bit of a moot point.

Just like everyone grumbled when Pioneer stopped making plasmas, but 12 months on people were happily buying the latest generation of Panasonic plasma. Yes they may not be as good image-wise as the Pioneers but they are available to be purchased.

Samsung are probably hoping that the 3D, new tech and other features will off-set any drop in image quality (assuming there is a drop).

Maybe they plan on bringing in true local dimming back in the future when the patent issues are resolved.

Either way unless in 2010 consumers make a mass migration from Samsung to other manufacturers with local dimming I can't see Samsung being influenced by any drop in image quality due to local dimming.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true, but as there won't be any more 2009 models on sale in the coming months it will become a bit of a moot point.

Just like everyone grumbled when Pioneer stopped making plasmas, but 12 months on people were happily buying the latest generation of Panasonic plasma. Yes they may not be as good image-wise as the Pioneers but they are available to be purchased.

Samsung are probably hoping that the 3D, new tech and other features will off-set any drop in image quality (assuming there is a drop).

Maybe they plan on bringing in true local dimming back in the future when the patent issues are resolved.

Either way unless in 2010 consumers make a mass migration from Samsung to other manufacturers with local dimming I can't see Samsung being influenced by any drop in image quality due to local dimming.

no doubt 3D is a bit of a gimmick at the moment....and will certainly line sammy's pockets this year....as for those that have been with them for years i can only see (bar 3D) increased enthusiasm amongst the ranks about the latest and greatest...after all happiness is one of the hardest perceptions to market to but for some reason they do it well....so let them go ahead and play with new technology and products...we the consumer are winners

Someone mentioned plasmas: I put it out earlier that the PS50C7000 is a 50" full HD 3D model, rrp $2499. Sorry but that's the only model I can remember since Samsung's range is so large. But that should give you a good indicator on pricing for the rest of the line-up (except for the larger sizes which are seeing the "big tv premium" being cut every year). As a guide, current RRP for PS50B650 = PS50C7000. C7000 is slim too (a la B850 style)

Someone mentioned professional reviews on the TV: look I am honestly really disappointed with a lot of reviews, although I take them individually on their merits. The way some reviews have been put up, the reviewers are either colour blind or can't tell the difference between black and white. Saying that, some are really really good. But you have to be really picky. Like seeing those comments about the C8000 local dimming - what a load of crock. The C8000 should be compared to the A950, and I think you'll find it's fail (and that's without seeing it). 8-12 compartments v 200-300 - it's not that hard, I'm sure you can count.

Best reviewer is always yourself, so when they're out, head down to your local store and have a look. Of course make sure you get the comparisons right (e.g. no silly settings to compromise one over the other, set it to a more realistic mode (i.e. normal/cinema as opposed to shop), make sure source and connection is comparable (ie bluray over hdmi), and make sure you piss those bloody cartoons off).

C9000: As I said before, absolutely rubbish.

C7000: I'm getting conflicting information as to what's happening with 3D glasses and whether there will be any bundled in locally.

Samsung 3D glasses: battery operated $79.95, rechargeable $99.95 (rechargeables available in kids and adult sizes), again these are RRP

Stock and World Cup and Whether I Should Buy Now?: Manufacturers tend to release a couple of price drops a few months in, usually around the same time as the midyear promo giveaways. This year may be a tad different since a lot of the models are coming in below their older model (2009, the models came in more expensive than the older model). But I know speaking to buyers that big sized LEDs (ie 55) are not expected to be in stock for very long. If you want to guarantee yourself a unit for the WC, then you might have to pay for the privilege. Regardless of whatever, stock of big TVs in australia is always a ****.

My opinion: Thumbs down to Samsung for their 2010 range - could've, should've but didn't. The A950 is still the pick of the Samsung LCD/LEDs, and to think that was a 2008 model. Thumbs up for LG for persisting with backlit local dimming models in 2010. Perpetual thumbs down for Sony - they're on a slippery slide to hell (heck LG have a larger market share than Sony these days). Provisional thumbs up for Panasonic - consistently good solid TVs, but waiting to see 2010 models though, and pricing could do with a tweak on the smaller sizes.

shadow....i like the detail in which you view and justify your opinions with...and as any true dtv lover will agree perception (opinion) is reality and what the manufacturers bank on to make a quid.....you're always going to get those that love plasma and those that don't....those that love LED and those that don't....backlit vs sidelit....heck....ford vs holden even...but at the end of the day i feel sorry for the consumer because there is so much choice and so many opinions on those choices....if samsung (or any tv company for that matter) made the bees knees in products first up then they wouldn't be around for very long...look now we even have critics of widgets...a term not even mentioned 12 months ago on tv's....i for one like change....change is good..choice is good...otherwise what is the point i working all these hours if we can't go and buy a few toys (like these) every now and then??

C9000: As I said before, absolutely rubbish.

C7000: I'm getting conflicting information as to what's happening with 3D glasses and whether there will be any bundled in locally.

Samsung 3D glasses: battery operated $79.95, rechargeable $99.95 (rechargeables available in kids and adult sizes), again these are RRP

Stock and World Cup and Whether I Should Buy Now?: Manufacturers tend to release a couple of price drops a few months in, usually around the same time as the midyear promo giveaways. This year may be a tad different since a lot of the models are coming in below their older model (2009, the models came in more expensive than the older model). But I know speaking to buyers that big sized LEDs (ie 55) are not expected to be in stock for very long. If you want to guarantee yourself a unit for the WC, then you might have to pay for the privilege. Regardless of whatever, stock of big TVs in australia is always a ****.

My opinion: Thumbs down to Samsung for their 2010 range - could've, should've but didn't. The A950 is still the pick of the Samsung LCD/LEDs, and to think that was a 2008 model. Thumbs up for LG for persisting with backlit local dimming models in 2010. Perpetual thumbs down for Sony - they're on a slippery slide to hell (heck LG have a larger market share than Sony these days). Provisional thumbs up for Panasonic - consistently good solid TVs, but waiting to see 2010 models though, and pricing could do with a tweak on the smaller sizes.

Nice logic :-)

I'm undecided over the C7000 and C8000 so will wait until I see them both before deciding.

I'm surprised that the glasses are sub $100 as after CES people were predicting $150-$200 per pair. They must really want to push 3D.

I wonder if this means that 3rd party glasses will be about $50 when they eventually come out?

I'll happily investigate 3D in the stores but I can't justify the cost of being an early adopter. I'll give it some time to settle down.

Samsung's decision to go with aesthetics over image quality is very disappointing, but hopefully in the future the image quality will go back to levels of the A950 and better.

Given the huge inroads they made in the last few years Samsung really had a chance to cement their lead, but they've left the door open for a better product from the competition. As to whether the competition is up to taking the image quality fight to Samsung is a whole different story though.

LG have some ground to make up in the consumer trust stakes due to the recent fridge fiasco so I wonder if they will reduce prices to gain market share?

That isn't LG's biggest problem. In fact, dropping prices will exaggerate their problem. Their problem is that they are seen as unreliable, or at least lacking in consistency. Dropping price is a good way to reinforce that perception.

I'm undecided over the C7000 and C8000 so will wait until I see them both before deciding.

At the end of the day, comes down to costs v benefits. Some people swearing by it, but I had my doubts as soon as I read the CES press release saying they were going to combine edge and local dimming. In the end, your eyes, your cash, your TV.

Also depends on what you're using the TV for, what you're watching, when you're watching, the set up of your room, the lighting in your room, etc. --> don't discount the new plasma range. I think Samsung's plasmas will be the dark horse for 2010 - good features, good PQ, good price. Should make it interesting for Pana - just as long as Sammy improve their reliability to Pana's standards. Now I cannot remember the model number but I believe Samsung was bringing in their 63" plasma at sub-$5000 (it was like 4500 or something) rrp. Now I would prefer a Pana 65 instead, but that back order list is stretched to July (it's been at July since January, and only because we put a stop on backorders) - Pana aren't willing to cut such huge slabs of glass to make a 65 and would rather make multiple 42s and 50s from the same sheet. But the new price point for the 63 is interesting; wonder if Pana will match that when they release their new 65 in 2nd half and whether they'll actually take supply seriously this time given it'll be moving into mainstream pricepoints. I guess the other interesting bit is that there's nothing 65+ yet - bit disappointing, had my fingers crossed. Oh well.

Shadowspin - do you have any contacts who would know if/when Yamaha are planning to replace the RX-V3900 AV receiver?

No sorry - normally don't get a lot of business with high end Yamaha products anyway. Try calling them, see how you go.

I haven't seen any professional reviews yet (apparently Samsung aren't sending out release spec models to reviewers until later in the year) but the consumer reviews seem to say the C8000 is better than the C7000, and some are saying better than the B8500.

We'll know more in the next week or so when more people get the C8000 and start to post their experiences.

Depending on your opinion of What HiFi as a "Professional review" :)

See here: http://whathifi.com/Review/Samsung-UE40C7000/

5 stars for the 40" screen model UE40C7000

I am guessing the Australian model will be nearly identical...

That isn't LG's biggest problem. In fact, dropping prices will exaggerate their problem. Their problem is that they are seen as unreliable, or at least lacking in consistency. Dropping price is a good way to reinforce that perception.

True, but they need to do something as their reputation is suffering right now.

At the end of the day, comes down to costs v benefits. Some people swearing by it, but I had my doubts as soon as I read the CES press release saying they were going to combine edge and local dimming. In the end, your eyes, your cash, your TV.

Also depends on what you're using the TV for, what you're watching, when you're watching, the set up of your room, the lighting in your room, etc. --> don't discount the new plasma range. I think Samsung's plasmas will be the dark horse for 2010 - good features, good PQ, good price. Should make it interesting for Pana - just as long as Sammy improve their reliability to Pana's standards. Now I cannot remember the model number but I believe Samsung was bringing in their 63" plasma at sub-$5000 (it was like 4500 or something) rrp. Now I would prefer a Pana 65 instead, but that back order list is stretched to July (it's been at July since January, and only because we put a stop on backorders) - Pana aren't willing to cut such huge slabs of glass to make a 65 and would rather make multiple 42s and 50s from the same sheet. But the new price point for the 63 is interesting; wonder if Pana will match that when they release their new 65 in 2nd half and whether they'll actually take supply seriously this time given it'll be moving into mainstream pricepoints. I guess the other interesting bit is that there's nothing 65+ yet - bit disappointing, had my fingers crossed. Oh well.

Samsung will sell plenty of LCD/LED panels in 2010, of that I have no doubt. Nobody else in the LCD/LED market has their market share, and the new range looks very impressive (aesthetically) and to most purchasers the aesthetics and the image quality in-store (which let's face it is still very impressive), combined with the low energy requirements will be very compelling.

Plasmas offer great bang for your buck, especially with Panasonic reducing their 65" to sub 5000k (on the street). When Samsung respond in 2010 these 65" panels are going to be very attractive to people who want a large screen without a projector, but as you said supply is going to be the big issue.

The power consumption put me off plasmas as there is a huge difference between LCDs and plasmas, and with electricity prices rising dramatically in the future it is something which we all need to be mindful of.

I would have loved to have seen the 65" C8000 in the flesh but the rumours in the US are that it has been cancelled. Maybe next year....

No sorry - normally don't get a lot of business with high end Yamaha products anyway. Try calling them, see how you go.

No worries. Yamaha are very cagey so they won't divulge anything on the phone so I was hoping that someone with an inside track might be able to get some more info.

A review from the UK on the 46" UE46C7700.

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-364-8008-36.html

Their 3D glasses are a lot more expensive than our's unless Samsung revise the UK prices (or ours)

HDGuru review of the 55" C8000

http://hdguru.com/samsungs-3d-un55c8000-first-review/1440/

From the review:

"Due to a panel uniformity issue in our factory loaner test unit, we limit this first look to its 3D features and performance."

"We’ll produce a full review incorporating our full menu of 2D performance tests once we determine whether the uniformity issue is limited to our review sample or is endemic to the design, so please stay tuned."

Edited by purpleninja

You have to worry about supposedly “professional” reviews that say things like this.

“ thanks to LED backlighting at the edges of the screen, deep blacks and glaring whites happily coexist in the frame.”

Edge lit LED backlighting has never contributed to deeper blacks. Contrast ratio is determined by the LCD panel and black level by a combination of panel contrast ratio and backlight intensity. Turning up the backlight intensity gives you brighter whites but at the expense of greyer blacks. On bright scenes blacks will look dark because the iris in your eyes will contract in response to bright light, but on dark scenes viewed in a dim to dark room the greyer blacks will be noticeable, and so will the screen uniformity problems associate with edge lit LED.

The reviewer has apparently been reading too much Samsung promotional BS. The only way to have brighter whites and darker blacks on screen at the same time is to improved the native contrast ratio of the LCD panel, which has nothing to do with LED (and has not happened to my knowledge) or to use a local dimming back light with suitably small zones (looks like that’s not happening either).

If you do a lot of viewing in a very bright environment LED LCD’s are of advantage due to their high light output, but for more normal viewing conditions where a super bright picture is not only not needed but not desirable ccfl LCD’s perform just as well if not better as they typically offer better screen uniformity.

Edited by Owen

anybody know if Samsung will do the bonus offers again for the WC...?

A bit too early to tell.

The C8000 and C9000 sets are coming out in June so they might just do the 3D offer that they do in the US (free 3D starter kit if you buy a 3D TV and Blu-Ray player), and think that the new technology and the 3D offer will be enough.

Also depends on how they are selling at the time.

You have to worry about supposedly “professional” reviews that say things like this.

Too many reviewers seem to just pander to the manufacturers and regurgitate the same marketing gumpf. Hopefully there will be better reviews in the future.

From some of the overseas reviews of both the Samsung & Panasonic 3D TV's reveals they both have their own pros and cons. The Samsung suffers from occasional cross-talk (double or blurring images) and the viewing angle is very narrow. You also need to keep your head straight. Tilt your head too far and you lose the effect. The Panasonic certainly appears to be the favourite, though it doesn't do 2D to 3D conversion, which the Samsung does. (One would have thought this would be a standard feature on all 3D TV's). Viewing angle on the Panasonic is said to be way better. The Panasonic reaches near Kuro black levels, but of course you have to wonder for how long. Early reviews on the Sony 3D TV's suggest they lack the 3D effect and were rather disappointing, though poor source material was suggested as a possible cause.

It may be worth a little research before rushing out and buying.

Cheers,

Andys.

Well that's the point - too much regurgitated marketing BS. You notice they review the TV on its own - no mention of a yardstick TV or a standard setter, like comparing it to an older Kuro or Pana plasma (something that a lot of people who know things know looks damn good).

The LG Infinity range is the one you want to look out for with local dimming and backlights. Saying that, full array backlighting still has its problems (the local dimming spreading out to adjacent areas is a huge one). Talked to the LD rep the other day - he was quite excited about their new top range (and you can see why - they're actually going to trump Samsung on something).

Not a bad review for the Infinity - cut the crap a fair bit and was honest on the LED backlighting. Pretty good reviewer - can explain the benefits of the backlight and point out the flaws.

From some of the overseas reviews of both the Samsung & Panasonic 3D TV's reveals they both have their own pros and cons. The Samsung suffers from occasional cross-talk (double or blurring images) and the viewing angle is very narrow. You also need to keep your head straight. Tilt your head too far and you lose the effect. The Panasonic certainly appears to be the favourite, though it doesn't do 2D to 3D conversion, which the Samsung does. (One would have thought this would be a standard feature on all 3D TV's). Viewing angle on the Panasonic is said to be way better. The Panasonic reaches near Kuro black levels, but of course you have to wonder for how long. Early reviews on the Sony 3D TV's suggest they lack the 3D effect and were rather disappointing, though poor source material was suggested as a possible cause.

It may be worth a little research before rushing out and buying.

Cheers,

Andys.

You'd expect the Panasonic to have far superior viewing angles as it is a plasma.

As in 2010 3D is basically a gimmick I'd rather wait until it settles in and we get better content, better screens, etc. but I'm sure lots of people will buy them this year, especially with the 2D to 3D conversion that Samsung have included.

As in 2010 3D is basically a gimmick I'd rather wait until it settles in and we get better content, better screens, etc. but I'm sure lots of people will buy them this year, especially with the 2D to 3D conversion that Samsung have included.

Might have been better if Samsung didn't include the 2D->3D conversion as my gut feeling is that the less 3D viewed the better (especially this "switching" modality): until research has been done on the long term physiological effects of straining the human optic system in this way for extended periods. At least with only a few 3D Blurays released, one would not be able to watch too much 3D.

The problem with gimmicks are that if they are introduced poorly, it can completely kill interest for the future once the new wow factor disappears.

Might have been better if Samsung didn't include the 2D->3D conversion as my gut feeling is that the less 3D viewed the better (especially this "switching" modality): until research has been done on the long term physiological effects of straining the human optic system in this way for extended periods. At least with only a few 3D Blurays released, one would not be able to watch too much 3D.

The problem with gimmicks are that if they are introduced poorly, it can completely kill interest for the future once the new wow factor disappears.

Just wait for ACA and Today Tonight to roll out the footage of children having fits in front of 3D TVs.

The killer inside your home