Sign in to follow this  
pheggie

How To Improve Foxtel

One station that has gone downhill is TV1.

Remember when it had cool retro shows, Love Boat, Starsky & Hutch, The Equaliser etc?

Now it's 30% law & order, 20% frasier, 20% NCIS etc.

I love the irony that Foxtel used having less/no ads when they first started to suck people away from FTA & now saturate programs with both self promotion AND paid advetising.

I'm getting sick and tired of actually paying a premium to watch ads ! Plus, don't get me started on Foxtels shrinking content... I'm sick of seeing the same program

repeated ad nauseum (like Channel 7). The Sci Fi Channel has become a sad poor joke. I'm getting close to pulling the pin on Foxtel, using what I save to get the AAPT unlimited ADSL

plan and setting up my own viewing preferences AD FREE !!! Suck that IQ !!

Hey Wolfman I record nearly everything now on the IQ and fast forward the ads!

N

That guy can whinge about the amount of ads all he likes, there are still far fewer ads on Foxtel than on regular FTA.

How does Fox squeeze 7 Simpsons into 3 hours? 3 Law & Orders into 2 hours?

As the above poster said, would you rather double the subscription costs and have no ads?

That guy can whinge about the amount of ads all he likes, there are still far fewer ads on Foxtel than on regular FTA.

How does Fox squeeze 7 Simpsons into 3 hours? 3 Law & Orders into 2 hours?

Exactly.

Depending on the show it can be very easy to spot when there have been no ads when there should have been.

For example where is a "coming up next" segment however the show continues with no break

With IQ2 on cable (hence the FTA channels) we simply slip watch pretty much everything, haven't sat through a full add break for years.

Sure it takes a bit of forethought and planning, but it means 25% more shows in the same amount of time.

We have the technology to not watch the adds, we pay extra for the IQ2, so how can anyone blame Foxtel if they don't use it.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryCook

None.

But HFC cable passes 2.5 million homes.

The average Australian household has somewhere in the area of 2.8 people in it

So HFC services about 7 million people, thats about one third of the population.

They just finished spending $300 million on Melbourne and are continuing to upgrade the network country wide to allow for faster speeds.

Optus are also upgrading their HFC network

HFC isnt going away any time soon

Optus, employ about 10 technicians in Melbourne. That'll be some task for those blokes.

Just like all service providers these days, they don't upgrade anything. They fix it if it breaks. Period.

Optus, employ about 10 technicians in Melbourne. That'll be some task for those blokes.

10 technicians or not it is happening.

http://www.commsday.com/node/680

http://apcmag.com/optus-cable-to-hit-100mb...by-mid-2010.htm

I would think that the hardware vendor (Ericsson, cisco or whoever it is) will send out technicians as part of the equipment purchase.

Just like all service providers these days, they don't upgrade anything. They fix it if it breaks. Period.

Erm if that were true there would be no ADSL2, bigpond 100mbit cable, new foxtel satellite, telstra 42mbps nextG (and >80mbps in 2011) 4G wimax in perth, need i go on?

Not another clueless whinge. Foxtel doesn't control where each ad is shown, that is up to the individual channel owner. The channel owner decides how much revenue they will get from advertising on their channel, not Foxtel. The advertiser ultimately decides on which channel they will advertise on to best communicate with their market. If you don't understand the commercial reality of why we have advertising then you're more than welcome to visit some other planet where economics isn't an issue.

Good luck with FTA TV if you're so unhappy about advertising.

Dear me Davmel, who watches FTA as a preference?

Having had Foxtel for 14 years, enough is enough.

I've got better things to do with my money, and Foxtel is not on my preffered supplier list.

You may be a couch potato or have shares in Foxtel, or have we struck a sore spot and you're a Foxtel employee who gets brown points for pushing the leaky flagship while the ill wind of change is blowing it to no good?

Foxtel reminds me of an old tart, having tramped the boards for too long singing the same old bawdy tune, till in the end even the sleepers in the audience go elsewhere to get some rest.

One thing's for sure, if Foxtel offerings were on a DVD I doubt whether 10% of the stuff would sell, who would buy a program, seen before and before that, and bits cut out to make way for more adds to pay for the show.

Foxtel must be running a heck of an innefficient service if the suscribers payments and the adds don't pay for the canned tapes that just keep reeling back and forth in a never ending circle.

Ian.

With IQ2 on cable (hence the FTA channels) we simply slip watch pretty much everything, haven't sat through a full add break for years.

Sure it takes a bit of forethought and planning, but it means 25% more shows in the same amount of time.

We have the technology to not watch the adds, we pay extra for the IQ2, so how can anyone blame Foxtel if they don't use it.

Cheers

Gary

I think that's pretty much old hat now since even those without IQ whatever, and having just the regular DVD recorder with hard drive, like myself, will be recording and fast forwarding each program, same as we did before when Video recorders on tape were the norm.

The problem is the program content, discounting the sports, and news, (today's), what else would you want to record?

Certainly not a film, they're already moth eaten, and the series and doco's on scientific achievments are already in museums or are all on DVD that you can watch 3 or 4 episode at a time without the add interupts.

When I packed Foxtel in they offered me, as an inducement to stay, an IQ wotsit free for 12 months and 3 months Foxtel at half price.

I had to remind the guy that when you buy a Mars bar at first it tastes like chocolate with caramel etc, but years down the track it starts to taste like crap, who in their right mind would want to still taste crap at half price and have a free wrapper for a year to get it in?

Ian.

I think that's pretty much old hat now since even those without IQ whatever, and having just the regular DVD recorder with hard drive, like myself, will be recording and fast forwarding each program, same as we did before when Video recorders on tape were the norm.

The problem is the program content, discounting the sports, and news, (today's), what else would you want to record?

Certainly not a film, they're already moth eaten, and the series and doco's on scientific achievments are already in museums or are all on DVD that you can watch 3 or 4 episode at a time without the add interupts.

When I packed Foxtel in they offered me, as an inducement to stay, an IQ wotsit free for 12 months and 3 months Foxtel at half price.

I had to remind the guy that when you buy a Mars bar at first it tastes like chocolate with caramel etc, but years down the track it starts to taste like crap, who in their right mind would want to still taste crap at half price and have a free wrapper for a year to get it in?

Ian.

I'm not sure how I should respond to this. I find Foxtel OK value for money as long as I don't have to watch the adds, ad nauseous. So removing the adds by slip watching means that I am happy enough with the content itself. Should I now list the content that makes me happy? What would it achieve, show that my tastes are not the same as yours? If the content isn't what you like to watch, then adds are not the problem. In our family of 4 we watch around 700 hours a month (around 900 hours without slip wathing), some together some individually, so at less than 25 cents an hour I don't know of better entertainment value for money.

BTW, I still like the odd Mars bar, after all these years they still taste pretty damn good to me. :winky:

Cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryCook

I would add BBC & ITV Sports Channels, have a premium sports package inclusive in HD and the Speed Channel for F1, MotoGp, Nascar etc etc.

You may be a couch potato or have shares in Foxtel, or have we struck a sore spot and you're a Foxtel employee who gets brown points for pushing the leaky flagship while the ill wind of change is blowing it to no good?

Typical excuse to resort to baseless bias claims when your rantings are shot down in flames as BS. I'm nothing more than a paying customer (paying full price) so take your conspiracy nut theories somewhere else.

One thing's for sure, if Foxtel offerings were on a DVD I doubt whether 10% of the stuff would sell,

But barely a quarter of the content on Foxtel is available on region 4 DVD, and if you were to get it on DVD it would cost an absolute fortune compared to viewing it on Foxtel for a monthly subscription. It's funny how people use the excuse of DVD's as an alternative but if you look at how much money they have burned in either walls of purchased DVD's or in overdue rental fees on top of standard rental DVD fees the total cost makes Foxtel look super cheap and you still only get access to a limited selection of mainstream movies and tv shows from the USA.

Foxtel must be running a heck of an innefficient service if the suscribers payments and the adds don't pay for the canned tapes that just keep reeling back and forth in a never ending circle.

Clearly you have no clue how much it costs to purchase the rights to broadcast content.

So dream on with your clear delusions of a demise in Foxtel in the hope that a radically cheaper legal alternative will appear which has negotiated much cheaper broadcast rights because the content owners don't want to earn any income.

Typical excuse to resort to baseless bias claims when your rantings are shot down in flames as BS. I'm nothing more than a paying customer (paying full price) so take your conspiracy nut theories somewhere else.

But barely a quarter of the content on Foxtel is available on region 4 DVD, and if you were to get it on DVD it would cost an absolute fortune compared to viewing it on Foxtel for a monthly subscription. It's funny how people use the excuse of DVD's as an alternative but if you look at how much money they have burned in either walls of purchased DVD's or in overdue rental fees on top of standard rental DVD fees the total cost makes Foxtel look super cheap and you still only get access to a limited selection of mainstream movies and tv shows from the USA.

Clearly you have no clue how much it costs to purchase the rights to broadcast content.

So dream on with your clear delusions of a demise in Foxtel in the hope that a radically cheaper legal alternative will appear which has negotiated much cheaper broadcast rights because the content owners don't want to earn any income.

I did say "IF" Foxtel were sold on DVD.

Anyone considering buying the majority of the offerings from Foxtel (with adds and cross channel promotions etc) would have to be certifiable.

As far as the rights to programs etc, I'd expect the source was so worn out they'd be giving them away by now.

NOTHING apart from the news and sport probably, is new on Foxtel and all of the films on Foxtel have actors that are now much older, and some even deceased.

As I said it would pay them to put the adds on a dedicated infomercial channel only, so that when the boring much repeated and very long in the tooth films, sit-coms, dokos and cook book classes are all they can offer to people with 1080p HD TV sets, who really want to know how to lose weight, whiten their teeth or cook on state of the art cook ware, then that is where they would willingly go, they wish.

Apparently whomsoever are producing the adds haven't worked out that most opf the viewers go to the lavvy or make tea etc during the add interupts so the message just falls on deaf ears.

The others just flick channels or mute the sound, but if they're really TV philes then they record the stuff, such as it is, and fast forward at light speed through the adds etc.

As for me, no more Foxtel, so I just don't give a rat's anyway, the dummy has been well and truly spat.

BTW, Grand Designs, among others, is on free to air, but it also got repeated on Foxtel, still oldy mouldy.

Ian.

NOTHING apart from the news and sport probably, is new on Foxtel

Just checked today's programme guide in the Foxtel magazine and it shows around 90 new episodes of programmes.

I'm finding plenty of new prorammes to watch / record.

Looks like you are exaggerating things a tad to suit your own agenda.

Just checked today's programme guide in the Foxtel magazine and it shows around 90 new episodes of programmes.

I'm finding plenty of new prorammes to watch / record.

Looks like you are exaggerating things a tad to suit your own agenda.

90!!!!!, you counted them........sure, I forgot more cartoons on the watch with mother channel....LOL.

Ian.

Anyone considering buying the majority of the offerings from Foxtel (with adds and cross channel promotions etc) would have to be certifiable.

I don't see anything wrong with someone being certified as having broader interests than yourself and being less likely to utter exagerated BS.

As far as the rights to programs etc, I'd expect the source was so worn out they'd be giving them away by now.

Clearly you have no clue about copyright and conveniently ignoring the fact that brand new shows and sporting events and movies cost a fortune to show.

NOTHING apart from the news and sport probably, is new on Foxtel and all of the films on Foxtel have actors that are now much older, and some even deceased.

Again more BS, you're totally biased agenda is clear.

As I said it would pay them to put the adds on a dedicated infomercial channel only, so that when the boring much repeated and very long in the tooth films, sit-coms, dokos and cook book classes are all they can offer to people with 1080p HD TV sets, who really want to know how to lose weight, whiten their teeth or cook on state of the art cook ware, then that is where they would willingly go, they wish.

You still don't understand and obviously don't want to understand how programming and ads are scheduled on Foxtel between the channels.

Apparently whomsoever are producing the adds haven't worked out that most opf the viewers go to the lavvy or make tea etc during the add interupts so the message just falls on deaf ears.

It doesn't matter if it falls on deaf ears as long as the revenue from advertisers subsidises the services.

But hey, if as you claim, you're not there to watch the ads why do you use them as an excuse to bag Foxtel. Pretty sad that you're biased critique on Foxtel is based on something you don't actually watch????

The others just flick channels or mute the sound, but if they're really TV philes then they record the stuff, such as it is, and fast forward at light speed through the adds etc.

So no one else is phased by the ads either? Well why are you ****ing about the ads then?

As for me, no more Foxtel, so I just don't give a rat's anyway, the dummy has been well and truly spat.

LOL. But you do give a rat's otherwise you wouldn't have spent the time posting about it on a forum.

BTW, Grand Designs, among others, is on free to air, but it also got repeated on Foxtel, still oldy mouldy.

Shock horror. One show on both FTA and Foxtel. How about the thousands of shows on Foxtel that aren't on FTA?