Sony Rdr-hdc100/300/500 Recorders

Yes the manual mentions high speed dubbing from HDD to DVD and the only provides the instructions for the 1x dubbing. My 5-year old LG on the other hand had the ability to do fast copying/dubbing by directly digital recording from HDD to DVD as well as 1x video conversion, this Sony can only do the latter. If you look at the comparison chart on one of the Sony pages it actually has a '-' for high speed dubbing --> that is it doesn't actually do it.

Also I can confirm something really screwy with the timer and guide for recordings. I had set two recordings on GO! and then when I came back to check they were two hours ahead (what the!?). Also when I looked at the TV guide the shows were listed one hour out, when I rechecked they were back to normal. And I managed to clobber one of the timer recordings while it was in play (in rec?), when according to the manual I shouldn't be able to do that; when I tried again I didn't have this problem. Real fickle this recorder,probably needs a software update sooner rather than later ...

So I guess that means that when recording TV it records it uncompressed and then does the conversion while copying.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the manual mentions high speed dubbing from HDD to DVD and the only provides the instructions for the 1x dubbing. My 5-year old LG on the other hand had the ability to do fast copying/dubbing by directly digital recording from HDD to DVD as well as 1x video conversion, this Sony can only do the latter.
One reason could be that DR mode caters for HD resolutions, so you need to transcode the video to a lower resolution before burning onto the disc. The 5 year old LG doesn't record digital FTA I take it, so it only has to burn a crappy analogue signal that easily fits onto a DVD and has far less information so can be transcoded to a lower resolution a lot easier than a HD signal.

One reason could be that DR mode caters for HD resolutions, so you need to transcode the video to a lower resolution before burning onto the disc. The 5 year old LG doesn't record digital FTA I take it, so it only has to burn a crappy analogue signal that easily fits onto a DVD and has far less information so can be transcoded to a lower resolution a lot easier than a HD signal.

My recordings have been from Foxtel STU which are analogue through the S-video input. With the older, possibly current, LG (and I am sure Panasonic) I would be able to record directly to DVD or, more usually, record directly to the HDD (say in LP so I can fit 4 hours on one DVD) and then do a 30 minute fast copy/dub to the DVD (assuming I don't make any edits). With this Sony I have no choice but to record to HDD first (it cannot record directly to DVD) and then another 4 hours to do a 1x dub to the DVD. And I am left now wondering whether how I should do the AV2 --> HDD and HDD --> DVD recordings:

SP then LP?

LP then LP?

HQ then LP?

especially since I am not sure whether LP then LP ('original') involves a transcoding (I suspect it does).

Prevailing wisdom would be to use SP (HQ is overkill for analogue input, and LP I lose quality from the word go) and then transcode to LP or have the option of splitting into two and then dubbing to two DVDs at SP while it sits on the HDD awaiting my decision.

Yes the manual mentions high speed dubbing from HDD to DVD and the only provides the instructions for the 1x dubbing. My 5-year old LG on the other hand had the ability to do fast copying/dubbing by directly digital recording from HDD to DVD as well as 1x video conversion, this Sony can only do the latter. If you look at the comparison chart on one of the Sony pages it actually has a '-' for high speed dubbing --> that is it doesn't actually do it.

Also I can confirm something really screwy with the timer and guide for recordings. I had set two recordings on GO! and then when I came back to check they were two hours ahead (what the!?). Also when I looked at the TV guide the shows were listed one hour out, when I rechecked they were back to normal. And I managed to clobber one of the timer recordings while it was in play (in rec?), when according to the manual I shouldn't be able to do that; when I tried again I didn't have this problem. Real fickle this recorder,probably needs a software update sooner rather than later ...

First review of this product (albeit the 500Gb version):

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/hom...dc500/346472#cb

Pretty much sums what I think: solid performer but some serious shortcomings (confirming what I have been stating here), especially DVD recording features (and if you are going for the 320Gb or 500Gb I agree you really need a twin HD tuner).

I thought I had a good deal of $499 from Harvey Norman last week for the 160Gb RDR-HDC100, this week saw Myer selling it for $448! Even cheaper than Good Guys (they had it for $529, but probably would give it away for around $470 if you haggle). I think I will now go to Myer for my next entertainment appliance purchase .... as always shop around!

BTW The problem with the timer recordings being 1-2 hours out I fixed by setting the clock manually rather than automatically. Suspect the auto update is getting confused with time zones and DST, (living in WA doesn't help if it was tested in the mass markets of the Eastern states).

Edited by PeteP

First review of this product (albeit the 500Gb version):

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/hom...dc500/346472#cb

BTW The problem with the timer recordings being 1-2 hours out I fixed by setting the clock manually rather than automatically. Suspect the auto update is getting confused with time zones and DST, (living in WA doesn't help if it was tested in the mass markets of the Eastern states).

Important Heads Up!

It appears that Sony has been aware of these issues with the RDR-HDC range of DVD/HDD recorders and have just released an FAQ (on when one can do fast dubbing from HDD -> DVD, apparently this is possible) and a firmware update just this week.

Check out:

http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/rdr-hdc100

I can confirm my RDR-HDC100 was properly updated from version 0.99 to 1.07. One bug that has been fixed is that I can now format DVD+RW disks, hopefully the timer/EPG issue will also have been addressed (the release notes say as much) and maybe better support for high speed dubbing.

Important Heads Up!

It appears that Sony has been aware of these issues with the RDR-HDC range of DVD/HDD recorders and have just released an FAQ (on when one can do fast dubbing from HDD -> DVD, apparently this is possible) and a firmware update just this week.

Check out:

http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/rdr-hdc100

I can confirm my RDR-HDC100 was properly updated from version 0.99 to 1.07. One bug that has been fixed is that I can now format DVD+RW disks, hopefully the timer/EPG issue will also have been addressed (the release notes say as much) and maybe better support for high speed dubbing.

OK did some checking, with this firmware (and also thanks to the FAQ information) I can now confirm:

(1) With Auto Clock set (which is what you want it to be), the timer recordings now seem to be correct (previously on the following day the timer recordings would be 1-2 hours out) ... seems fixed

(2) I can now format and use DVD+RW discs .... fixed

(3) Apparently I need to set Bilingual Recording Mode to Off (default is On). Both SP and LP recordings from analogue in can be fast dubbed from HDD to DVD-RW (Video) and DVD+RW discs, I assume the same will apply to DVD-R and DVD+R discs ... fixed

Recordings from digital TV to HDD however cannot be fast dubbed to DVD, this is perhaps not surprising. Also any edits made to an existing recording can also not be fast dubbed. Only original(unedited), analogue(not from digital TV) recordings can be fast dubbed.

• 4 weeks later...
The RDR-HDC100/300/500 are now listed on Sony's website:

http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/hv-dvd-recorder

There doesn't seem to be a good description of the bug on the Sony site but here's a new version of firmware http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/39...?subpage=detail I haven't used it yet (I have a similar problem but in Brisbane, the EPG flicks between the correct times and the times -1 hour, manual record times can also be altered). Did you find a solution?

• 1 month later...

Bought 02 recorder sony RDR-HDC300 , one for myself and one for my brother, unfortunately had to return both back to David Jones

as both have freezing problems when in editing mode. You have to unplug it from the powerpoint to restart them . Dissappointed from Sony

aS 02 FAULTY PRODUCTS...((((((((

Sony are about to release there new HDD / DVD recorder, from what i can see it will record HD content

RDR-HDC100 - 160GB

RDR-HDC300 - 320Gb

RDR-HDC500 - 500GB

These players are similar to the European RDR-DC100/200/500 and are based on a Samsung OEM product, the RDR-CD105/205/305/505 featured a CAM slot but this has been omitted on the Australian model

the user manual can be found here

Date for stock to appear in the shops is unknown

Bought 02 recorder sony RDR-HDC300 , one for myself and one for my brother, unfortunately had to return both back to David Jones

as both have freezing problems when in editing mode. You have to unplug it from the powerpoint to restart them . Dissappointed from Sony

CNET review of the HDC300 here - Sony RDR-HDC300

Help,

I recently purchased a sony dvd recorder rdr-hdc300 and the record timer keeps recording at the wrong time. Whenever I set a new timer on the next day, on the next day the timer changes one hour ahead. I live in Perth (+08:00GMT) Australia, there is supposed to be no daylight savings. On the timers there are options for mode and update; I always put mode to DR and have tried update as on and off. Nothing works.

Once again noooooooo!

Not sure what you mean by editing mode - dividing and deleting part of a title? I've managed to do that on the HDC100. A very complicated process though.

I've the 160GB version bought for $398. Unfortunately it was the only DVR/DVD with HDD & HD tuner in this price range as Panny do not produce their 160GB version any more and even the old one didn't include a HD tuner.

Agreed it's very buggy (eg the innacurate measure of the size of recordings and the inability to record straight to dvd and - bizzarely - it takes 30-45 seconds to power down) but it suits me as a second unit for the bedroom connected to an old lcd that doesn't have an integrated tuner.

I'd certainly never recommend it if price wasn't an issue. Would get the Panasonics any day. They're SO much easier to use ...

What is it about Sony??? One the one hand, they produce some superb top of the line products, but then come out with other electronic items that are relatively speaking junk. Whereas Panasonic is very consistent in the quality of its product lines.

I think Sony pretty much out source everything and they certainly aren't the innovators they used to be. Electronic products are only part of their empire now with Sony Pictures (movies) and Sony Music being pretty big businesses in their own right.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought this as a back-up PVR. As it is not in the main viewing area - I tend to switch off power to it when not in use - but have found that I need to retune the channels frequently when powering back up. Is this a common thing or a fault? The STB I've had since about 2006 doesn't lose channels after powering off so it seems odd to me that a newer PVR would.

Guest HorsenCart
I recently bought this as a back-up PVR. As it is not in the main viewing area - I tend to switch off power to it when not in use - but have found that I need to retune the channels frequently when powering back up. Is this a common thing or a fault? The STB I've had since about 2006 doesn't lose channels after powering off so it seems odd to me that a newer PVR would.

Well I bought the RDR-HDC100 back in June 2010 and have took it back for repair 3 times for exactly the same fault that you have and it happened again for the fourth time, I demanded a refund from sony but they offered me the RDR-HDC300 as a replacement, I decided to give it a go but the day after I received it you guessed it lost the Digital channels again, so my conclusion is there is an Electronic Design Fault usually when powering down and say powering up the next day or a couple of days. It even lost the Digital Channels once after just pressing the Title List button on the remote just to check what was on the hdd. I too have an el cheapo HD set top box that will record via USB and that never loses channels, the same with my Sony Bravia LCD never loses channels and all this gear is connected to the same power outlet and same outdoor Antenna. I think Sony should do a recall on these models and/or a Firmware update (I really think it needs a Hardware update). I will be chasing a refund for sure this time.

Well I bought the RDR-HDC100 back in June 2010 and have took it back for repair 3 times for exactly the same fault that you have and it happened again for the fourth time, I demanded a refund from sony but they offered me the RDR-HDC300 as a replacement, I decided to give it a go but the day after I received it you guessed it lost the Digital channels again, so my conclusion is there is an Electronic Design Fault usually when powering down and say powering up the next day or a couple of days. It even lost the Digital Channels once after just pressing the Title List button on the remote just to check what was on the hdd. I too have an el cheapo HD set top box that will record via USB and that never loses channels, the same with my Sony Bravia LCD never loses channels and all this gear is connected to the same power outlet and same outdoor Antenna. I think Sony should do a recall on these models and/or a Firmware update (I really think it needs a Hardware update). I will be chasing a refund for sure this time.

Cheers for that info. I'll give them a ring to see what they say.

just wondering if i sould get the sony rdr-hdc100 as i can get it from the goodguys for $395 and are hey a reg 4 or mul reg i fthey are just a reg 4 is there any code to make them a reg free

Yes, it's multi-region. I've had UK & US discs in the HDC100 and they've played without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Have just bought a RDR-HDC500, to try out, price is just over $400 inc GST, delivered Rural // Remote.

Superseding our RDR-HD9xx and DST-HD500 pair.

Can the content on our existing PVR be ported over to the new machine?

I have a lot of tools, including one of these disk cloning docks which are amazing and support a wide range of partition and disk structures A-->B providing Disk 'B' is = or > than Disk 'A' is all that matters to succeed.

Probably won't work though I feel.

How critical is the MBR on these machines?

Can the drive just be replaced by the user with another at their own risk [and the warranty loss]?

Are they PATA, SATA or SATA II?

Cheers. :D