Burn Dvd's To My Pvr

Hey trend setters....great forum...

I have my own little dilemma I wanted to through out there for you have a think about. I have a Toppy TF7100HDPVRt PVR and I think it is the best device I have ever owned...great picture, easy controls, chase tv..I love it...i have been reading through the Toppy forum's and came across the topic on how to create a Toppy mpg to put content on the HDD of this beast (ie. copy it through ftp) ...this got me thinking

I have 2 boys under 2 and they just love their DVD's (I know...we probably shouldn't encourage this must tv but this is not the forum for that!!)...in fact they enjoy them so much I have had to create copies of the originals as they get destroyed...so I downloaded some software to convert them to MP4's and put them on my external HDD on the pc...

I chose MP4 as I am about to receive my Sammy LED and read they can stream content through their DLNA feature set...anyway, then I read that you can convert mpg's to Toppy mpg's and put them on the HDD of the PVR for viewing from the "Records List" menu options...

so...this is what I want to do....I want to burn the most common dvd's we use into Toppy mpg format and put them on the internal HDD of my PVR so we can easily play the movies for our two tv junkies.....(external HDD will come when I fill it)....can it be done?

I did have a go at using the Toppy mpg maker software but regardless of the mpg file I chose (have tried mpg, wmi, mp4, etc) I keep getting the error that it must be Stream Processing (or something like that) and I don't have the knowledge to work out how to get around it..... :(

appreciated your help will be......

You could also get a LiDiC for $140 if you wanted. Use it to plug the DVD Player into the RF input in the PVR. It converts the signal to digital and so the PVR can then record it the way it usually does.

Otherwise you want to read here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

You could also get a LiDiC for $140 if you wanted. Use it to plug the DVD Player into the RF input in the PVR. It converts the signal to digital and so the PVR can then record it the way it usually does.

PG. A LiDiC for a Toppy 7100?

Obviously hitting the Turps early for a friday. B)

PG. A LiDiC for a Toppy 7100?

Obviously hitting the Turps early for a friday. B)

I wish :) I've never actually seen a LiDiC but my understandng (was) that it essentially turns any analogue signal into the same RF digital signal that broadcasters send. Thinking about this you'd need to be able to scan for the 'channel' if this was the case. But it would appear you need a special input capability (which as I type seems to ring a bell) :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I wish :) I've never actually seen a LiDiC but my understandng (was) that it essentially turns any analogue signal into the same RF digital signal that broadcasters send. Thinking about this you'd need to be able to scan for the 'channel' if this was the case. But it would appear you need a special input capability (which as I type seems to ring a bell) :)

Nah.

Lidic connects to BW via USB. Needs BW firmware in S1/P1/P2 for it to work.

Lidic back panel

Otherwise you want to read here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

hey pete

thanks for the link...i have been on here before but didn't read it thoroughly....i will be following the suggestions on there to the letter and will let you know how it goes...

may the force be with you my friend

Read the rest of this thread, the LiDiC is only really suitable for the Beyonwiz PVR. It does not do what Peter said, it simply turns analogue composite/svideo into an MPEG-4&AAC data stream over USB suitable for the Beyonwiz (and it also has drivers to enable it to be run directly off the PC instead).

..but my understandng (was) that it essentially turns any analogue signal into the same RF digital signal that broadcasters send.

I think that's a big ask for a home consumer product.

The digital signal that carries the various TV channels' programs to us using the DVB-T standard utilises the COFDM system.

There are products out there that will take a number of inputs from different sources (one option is from composite inputs) and output these as DVB-T 'channels'.

But they cost around $4k, with various add-ons.

This company from Sweden has a number of products that can do this type of thing.

Edited by charlesc

I have 2 boys under 2 and they just love their DVD's (I know...we probably shouldn't encourage this must tv but this is not the forum for that!!)...in fact they enjoy them so much I have had to create copies of the originals as they get destroyed...

This was one of the reasons I went with the Beyonwiz models and it's one of the most used features - watching DVD ISO images

This was one of the reasons I went with the Beyonwiz models and it's one of the most used features - watching DVD ISO images

Same here - but lest anyone get confused, you don't need a Lidic to make this work ona beyonwiz - you simply copy the ISO file up to the wiz or to a network drive to which the wiz has access.

Getting back to the OP's original question, yes you can extract a DVD to a standard MPEG2 file. You then need to convert it to a transport stream file, then use Toppy FileMaker to created the files needed to make it play back on the TF7100. All of the software needed is free and the procedure has been documented on this forum (I think). I have done it numerous times. It is certainly possible but you will find it IS fairly time consuming.

If you need further help after searching the forum, sing out.

Cheers

Sway

Edited by Sway

Getting back to the OP's original question, yes you can extract a DVD to a standard MPEG2 file. You then need to convert it to a transport stream file, then use Toppy FileMaker to created the files needed to make it play back on the TF7100. All of the software needed is free and the procedure has been documented on this forum (I think). I have done it numerous times. It is certainly possible but you will find it IS fairly time consuming.

If you need further help after searching the forum, sing out.

Cheers

Sway

thanks sway....i have my first topy filemaker running at the moment....and yes it does take time...but it will be worth it...hope the PQ is good...let you know how it goes

thanks sway....i have my first topy filemaker running at the moment....and yes it does take time...but it will be worth it...hope the PQ is good...let you know how it goes

There is no loss of quality.

Cheers

Sway

great news....and thanks to all the advice.....i have successfully created my first toppy file and dumped them over my wlan to my pvr and now the kids have Garlfield on demand.....a great help in keeping the HT area clean from someone who forgets to put dvd disks away!...(we won;t mention names...)

so thank to all and happy dtv'ing....