Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Draco Pvr Hdvr3800 $299

phree

Has the new firmware resolved recording / playback problems?

Sorry for the tardy response.

The firmware upgrade has fixed the jumping on playback. Recording and playback seems to be working quite well now. Only basic functions tested so far.

Unfortunately the upgrade has made the tuner somewhat unstable. It sometimes looses reception whilst flicking through the channels. My Denon AVR losses the HDMI input signal during this time. Might be a HDMI comms problem or something in the tuner itself. A power cycle of the Draco gets it back to normal. The tuner does seem to be a bit more sensitive, although that may be a coincidence related to varying signal strength at my location. The machine also brings itself out of standby continuously for no reason. Didn't do these things before!

p.s. There are no release notes or similar to confirm what the upgrade fixed or otherwise.

Edited by phree

Just wondering if some of you have persevered with this set and whats the verdict after having used it for over a month

I picked it up at target today, and whilst the tuner side of things work well, i am unable to get anything going with the HDD and the USB drive, so effectively no PVR functionality.

I thought a SW updrage might fix the problem but the set does not recognise its USB drive, so cant do anything

Its probably an issue with this set.

any suggestions, am I not doing something right, and more importantly, is it worth getting the set changed or should i just go for another PVR.

Cheers

Sam

I saw this still selling in Target for $299. The built looks sturdy as compared with many other brands, but their website is skimpy. Can't seem to find online manual for this unit. Is this freeview compliant? Has anyone got any major issues?

Edited by aretiredsaint

I saw this still selling in Target for $299. The built looks sturdy as compared with many other brands, but their website is skimpy. Can't seem to find online manual for this unit. Is this freeview compliant? Has anyone got any major issues?

I took mine back for a refund as I got sick of waiting for a firmware upgrade (I think I heard that one has been released since however). While I had it I called the enquiries number on the website and found the chap who answered helpful - he may be able to give you access to a manual. It's not a Freeview unit.

Edited by mikeathome

... Is this freeview compliant? ...

If it is, it should be Freeview badged. Whether it decodes MPEG4 is a separate issue. That can be tested if you can receive the trial 3D broadcasts, which are MPEG4. On MPEG4-capable devices, they play back as two side-by-side images on non-3D TVs.

If you are interested at all you could buy one and give it a try - you could always return it if you are unhappy and get a refund so it's cost free (apart from the investment of your time).

If it is, it should be Freeview badged. Whether it decodes MPEG4 is a separate issue. That can be tested if you can receive the trial 3D broadcasts, which are MPEG4. On MPEG4-capable devices, they play back as two side-by-side images on non-3D TVs.

Thanks. Their website indicates it decodes MPEG4, but does that mean it can do everything a Freeview compliant unit can do in the future? I don't think I'll buy a 3D TV and watch programmes with those spectacles. What are the other things I should know?What is the MHEG5 format that the media is talking about? Thanks again.

Edited by aretiredsaint

I took mine back for a refund as I got sick of waiting for a firmware upgrade (I think I heard that one has been released since however). While I had it I called the enquiries number on the website and found the chap who answered helpful - he may be able to give you access to a manual. It's not a Freeview unit.

Thanks. I wrote to them and asked if they could email me a soft copy of the user manual. Most manufacturers post their user manual online, but DRACO website seems very inadequately furnished.

Edited by aretiredsaint

If you are interested at all you could buy one and give it a try - you could always return it if you are unhappy and get a refund so it's cost free (apart from the investment of your time).

Thanks. I'm sure their refund policy is limited. Major problems may surfaced after several months, and by then the refund policy could have lapsed and resort to warranty terms.

Edited by aretiredsaint

Thanks. I'm sure their refund policy is limited. Major problems may surfaced after several months, and by then the refund policy could have lapsed and resort to warranty terms.

My suggestion was meant to be for you to test the unit at home for a week or so and understand its operating limitations, and if it is not what you want take it back. However, I have found Target to be very flexible - for example I took an item back earlier in the week that I acquired at the beginning of March. I had lost the receipt. I got a store credit for the current sale price of the item. Anyway, anything you buy can fail after several months and require use of the warranty - even a much more expensive PVR. Have a look at any of the threads devoted to these units and you will see that they are not failure free.

Edited by mikeathome

Thanks. Their website indicates it decodes MPEG4, but does that mean it can do everything a Freeview compliant unit can do in the future? I don't think I'll buy a 3D TV and watch programmes with those spectacles. What are the other things I should know?What is the MHEG5 format that the media is talking about? Thanks again.

MHEG5 is the format that Freeview has announced will be used to implement its much-awaited (and much-delayed) "Freeview EPG". There's been a lot of speculation about what capabilities it will have and whether it will introduce further advertising to Freeview boxes (banner ads while fast-forwarding have been suggested). Possible capabilities are series recording capability like TiVo's Season Pass, IceTV's series recordings and Foxtel IQ's whatever-they-call-the-similar-capability, and possibly more dynamic timer setting (move recording timers to actual broadcast times). All of that is speculation, because Freeview has been pretty sparing about the details of what the capabilities will be, and everyone else who knows what they will be is tied up in NDAs.

Access to the MHEG5 material will require licensing from Macrovision, and it is also believed that it will require decryption keys only made available to Freeview-compliant devices. Non-Freeview devices will be shut out. But again, no-one knows for sure about the latter. It's also unknown whether current Freeview-compliant devices will be upgradable to use the MHEG5 EPG.

ACMA has issued a set of EPG Principles that say that broadcasters must continue to provide open, unencrypted access to the EPG, in its present form in the DVB-T Event Information Tables.

The other things you'll miss out on by not having a Freeview PVR is the inability to have "ad skipping" (actually instant skip forward or back), limitations on how fast fast-forward is allowed to be, and Freeview-imposed restrictions on what you can copy off the PVR (no-one outside Freeview and those under NDA really knows what they are, either).

I don't know how the format information for 3D broadcasts is passed over HDMI from a recorder to a TV. I've seen one report that suggested that later model Beyonwizes (ones that run 10.07 series firmware) can play 3D test broadcasts and have them correctly displayed by a 3D TV, but the writer wasn't really explicit enough. Nothing in the Beyonwiz firmware release notes has ever suggested that they've added the 3D capability.

I'm unconvinced by 3D (though I must admit I haven't seen any of the recent 3D movies). The first public showing of a 3D movie was in 1922 (yes, a silent movie), they had a peak in the 50s, and they've popped up every now and again since. 3D hasn't quite taken the world by storm so far.

MHEG5 is the format that Freeview has announced will be used to implement its much-awaited (and much-delayed) "Freeview EPG". There's been a lot of speculation about what capabilities it will have and whether it will introduce further advertising to Freeview boxes (banner ads while fast-forwarding have been suggested). Possible capabilities are series recording capability like TiVo's Season Pass, IceTV's series recordings and Foxtel IQ's whatever-they-call-the-similar-capability, and possibly more dynamic timer setting (move recording timers to actual broadcast times). All of that is speculation, because Freeview has been pretty sparing about the details of what the capabilities will be, and everyone else who knows what they will be is tied up in NDAs.

Access to the MHEG5 material will require licensing from Macrovision, and it is also believed that it will require decryption keys only made available to Freeview-compliant devices. Non-Freeview devices will be shut out. But again, no-one knows for sure about the latter. It's also unknown whether current Freeview-compliant devices will be upgradable to use the MHEG5 EPG.

ACMA has issued a set of EPG Principles that say that broadcasters must continue to provide open, unencrypted access to the EPG, in its present form in the DVB-T Event Information Tables.

The other things you'll miss out on by not having a Freeview PVR is the inability to have "ad skipping" (actually instant skip forward or back), limitations on how fast fast-forward is allowed to be, and Freeview-imposed restrictions on what you can copy off the PVR (no-one outside Freeview and those under NDA really knows what they are, either).

I don't know how the format information for 3D broadcasts is passed over HDMI from a recorder to a TV. I've seen one report that suggested that later model Beyonwizes (ones that run 10.07 series firmware) can play 3D test broadcasts and have them correctly displayed by a 3D TV, but the writer wasn't really explicit enough. Nothing in the Beyonwiz firmware release notes has ever suggested that they've added the 3D capability.

I'm unconvinced by 3D (though I must admit I haven't seen any of the recent 3D movies). The first public showing of a 3D movie was in 1922 (yes, a silent movie), they had a peak in the 50s, and they've popped up every now and again since. 3D hasn't quite taken the world by storm so far.

Thanks Peter for your detailed explanation. So MHEG5 is about Freeview EPG and nothing to do with digital transmission. Am I correct to say that as long as the device is capable of transmitting MPEG4, it can see view all digital channels transmitted by Freeview?

Thanks Peter for your detailed explanation. So MHEG5 is about Freeview EPG and nothing to do with digital transmission. Am I correct to say that as long as the device is capable of transmitting [receiving? - prl] MPEG4, it can see view all digital channels transmitted by Freeview?

Yes, MHEG5 is only about the Freeview EPG and possibly some other information services. It's not a TV transmission format.

Except for the 3D TV trials, there are currently no MPEG4 broadcasts in Australia, only MPEG2. So at the moment, you don't need MPEG4 capability to receive all the current Freeview TV services. You do need HD to get all the Freeview services. There may be MPEG4 transmissions sometime in the future, so MPEG4 capability may be worth having.

Yes, MHEG5 is only about the Freeview EPG and possibly some other information services. It's not a TV transmission format.

Except for the 3D TV trials, there are currently no MPEG4 broadcasts in Australia, only MPEG2. So at the moment, you don't need MPEG4 capability to receive all the current Freeview TV services. You do need HD to get all the Freeview services. There may be MPEG4 transmissions sometime in the future, so MPEG4 capability may be worth having.

Thanks again Peter. You have provided very useful information for me to make a decision on my pvr purchase.

My suggestion was meant to be for you to test the unit at home for a week or so and understand its operating limitations, and if it is not what you want take it back. However, I have found Target to be very flexible - for example I took an item back earlier in the week that I acquired at the beginning of March. I had lost the receipt. I got a store credit for the current sale price of the item. Anyway, anything you buy can fail after several months and require use of the warranty - even a much more expensive PVR. Have a look at any of the threads devoted to these units and you will see that they are not failure free.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but here goes. As this unit is a twin tuner does it have a P.I.P. function? I have this feature on my current TV and I find it extremely useful.