Sign in to follow this  
trippyfoo

Melbourne Antenna Installer

Hi everyone -

I posted earlier in the Hdtv display section, thankfully MTV mentioned this was the correct forum for this sorta question...

Can anyone recommend someone for an antenna installation, out in Melbourne West. (Derrimut)..

So far I haven't had any luck with two installers - one of them has advertised on the forum.Though I won't be naming names..

It's just a tad frustrating... when they say yes, no problem..I'll be there.. and sadly - after three weeks- still no antenna..

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you contact beeblebrox, as per my recommendation?

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation mate - I sent a pm earlier - so I shall await his response.

Though if he doesn't work out West - Do you ? Though im mindful of the fact that you're pretty flat out currently.

Jason,

I have just looked at your website. I hope you are not installing the antennas you show. These antennas are not "designed for digital".

All antennas you should be installing in Melbourne metro should not be able to receive ABC1 analog on channel 2. If they can you are more likely to get interference from tram/electric train wiring, strong FM and channel 2 signals. Also about 1/3 of the metro antennas are not used for digital and are a waste. These antennas are quite capable of receiving all other analog Melbourne channels.

I suggest you have a good read of Get the Best Reception, Melbourne and read all the links.

Particularly H34 for the Main transmitters, and for South Yarra, the Dandenongs, and the Bayside the transmitter list along with H5 and V5.

We would all like to see all antenna installers using "Designed for Digital" antennas because there will be lots of work for installers coming up to the end of December 2013!

AlanH

Jason,

So when will you be changing your website to show antennas which are not designed for channels below channel 6?

Can you measure BER, MER?

AlanH

Don't be silly alanh, of course he can't. Just like none of the other professionals, in all disciplines, that you have insulted over the years. ^_^

lol thx Drp, As to alanh's question, its not worth a reply lol except to ask him to actually install antennas for a living first, anyone can do internet research bud.

Edited by Melbourne Antennas

Melbourne Antennas,

There are other Melbourne installers who are following these guidelines and they get many references.

The only internet research is the links to current products.

You may have been installing antennas for 15 years, however this has been for analog reception and not digital reception.

Alanh

Alanh, What antenna installation company do you work for?. And why do you think you know what you are talking about?, for your information the top antenna displayed is a HD Designed 'Aussie Built' 19 Element Heavy Duty Digital Combination Antenna. Will receive VHF channels 2-12 and UHF channels 28-36. you were saying?. Please refrain from trying to insult someone that has years of experience more than you with both analogue and digital antennas.

And for your information i can measure Bit Error Ratio (BER) and Modulation Error Ratio (MER)

It's probably all in the wording, but I think the message is consistent with many other posts in this forum and elsewhere.

To put what follows in context, many of the older analogue metro antennas were designed to work for CH2 - CH10, and then maybe, if they were a combo type, a higher UHF channel for SBS (eg. CH28 in Sydney).

These antennas typically show poor response for metro TEN (digital CH11) and ABC (digital CH12). The response often isn't there for the higher channel numbers. So they don't perform well for the 'extended' digital channels.

'Digital ready' is often used to identify that an antenna is ready for these higher channel numbers. So it wlll work for CH2 - 10, as per analogue requirements, but also extend to CH11 and CH12.

The wording digital antenna by contrast often indicates that the antenna deliberately will not receive below CH6.

So it covers CH6 - CH12. And some UHF channel numbers if it is a combo type.

In other words....

If you wanted an antenna for the metro area that would work with analogue and digital, you would look at the 'digital ready' type. They extend to CH11 and CH12.

And if a company was installing 'digital only' antennas, you wouldn't expect to receive below channel 6.

For digital, this is a good thing. ABC analogue in particular, and also FM radio, can be strong sources of overload. And the antenna, being larger (wider elements) is more prone to pick up interference, much of which can be within the lower VHF frequencies anyway.

Alanh, Did you read what i wrote?, the antenna picks up 2-12. I have no problem with the antennas i install and get many references, If the antenna causes any dramas i go back and fix it free. I noticed you didnt answer my question regarding what company you work for? lol my techs are all having a good laugh over this.

All,

The ACMA stated a long time ago that they will never transmit digital on a channel below channel 6. They have done this because of the problems of impulse interference. So why are you charging customer for an antenna in which a third of the aluminium is not used.

Go and get the Matchmaster 01mm-dc21A and Hills Spectramax SMX28B4 and measure the outputs with a digital field strength meter. Compare these results with those for your current installations. Do this particularly in areas of interference or weak signal areas.

Lastly you will find that the above antennas will receive all analog stations except ABC1 analog. Since nearly all installations now are for digital reception then the digital reception of ABC1 can be seen using this receiver.

This is a Digital TV forum it does not cater for analog.

AlanH

Alanh, you are so full of it lol you havnt been correct in any accusations you have made and been proven wrong everytime, you are just rambling garbage that has no bearing on the original comment you made. I have had enough of your nonsense and wont be making anymore comments. other than to say that these guys are correct regarding your waste of time posts that try to make you look good, lol in actuality they make you look like some idiot that spends way too much time researching stuff he has no intension of actually doing. good job keep it up!

lol

Melbourne Antennas,

This is a Digital TV forum. People come here for antenna advice for digital receivers.

Soon you will have to prove you know about digital antennas to get significant work. You will then have to prove you know more about antenna installation than just being able to climb a ladder.

Beach Boy,

Have you tested the antennas I suggested yet?

As for the price, the companies are recovering their design costs.

Their prices are up to them, the facts still remain.

AlanH

Alanh, i really dont give a #$%^ about what your are saying now, you started all this by being a smartass and trying to pick on my website saying i dont have digital antennas shown, proved you wrong in that so u started rambling on about crap we already know as exp installers. piss off you complete loser. i admit you are good at copying and pasting information other people wrote. gg

Firstly, many thanks to Jason for dropping by yesterday to complete the installation. A late afternoon it was as well, so cheers for that.

And yes, Happy overall with the price and quality of the installation - Rg6 cabling along with F-connectors for all the wallplates.

** Secondly - from an uninformed noob regarding antenna's - Does a lot of this antenna talk make much of a difference - I noticed a lot of the talk with regards to the design of an Analog / Digital type antenna.

I'll be honest - my folks - they've had the same antenna for 20 years now - and I'll assume it's an analog antenna - picking up digital / analog no problems.. Everything is crystal clear - Though I will say on particularly cloudy days - Abc and Sbs take an several seconds to show a picture.

Hi Trippyfoo, my name is jason from Melbourne-Antennas. i will be glad to help you with anything you need. My website is www.Melbourne-Antennas.com.au or 1300 994 573. And i do work out west.

Beachboy,

Do all your installations conform to the Australian Standards to give 100 % reliability

Signal level 51 - 70 DB microVolt

BER <8e-04

MER>25 dB

Particularly in the Hills area, around Penrith and in the Prestons area?

AlanH