Sign in to follow this  
snorri

Panasonic Plasma Time Bombs?

Some day or later you have to face this. If you're not happy to reset, or actually wait for the problem to be confirmed in Australia, the only solution for you (and other like minded folks) is to get a refund from Panasonic...

Do it now. The earlier you do it, the better... Given it's going to happen at the 1000hr mark, the price of the TV will depreciate a lot quicker than the black level of the TV.

Unless they offer firmware as a fix in enough time but first they have to admit the problem.

Well established O/S is that a service reset will not help with this problem, reseating the internal clock may but is seriously against warranty as there is no user/tech option to do it, it requires fiddling at depth within the units parameters (like the computers registry), a service reset will not return the contrast the set was sold with once the voltage increase hits these viera panels.

Panasonic Oz needs to come clean fast!

Some day or later you have to face this. If you're not happy to reset, or actually wait for the problem to be confirmed in Australia, the only solution for you (and other like minded folks) is to get a refund from Panasonic...

Do it now. The earlier you do it, the better... Given it's going to happen at the 1000hr mark, the price of the TV will depreciate a lot quicker than the black level of the TV.

I have owned my P54Z1A for 49 days so considering i would expect the value of them to drop through the floor even more now than they have since i bought it i would be mad not to seek a refund right?The choice i have is to act now or wait for dissapointment later and i'm leaning towards a now soloution.

Unless they offer firmware as a fix in enough time but first they have to admit the problem.

Well established O/S is that a service reset will not help with this problem, reseating the internal clock may but is seriously against warranty as there is no user/tech option to do it, it requires fiddling at depth within the units parameters (like the computers registry), a service reset will not return the contrast the set was sold with once the voltage increase hits these viera panels.

Panasonic Oz needs to come clean fast!

Panasonic needs to come clean about what exactly. Has anyone got proof that this has occurred to a set in Australia.

You probably will never understand this point: but Panasonic have to first clear the smoke and find the fire before they can fox or even admit the problem..

Hence there's the right way to do it, and the long way to do it.. As previously suggested, start a poll..

I have owned my P54Z1A for 49 days so considering i would expect the value of them to drop through the floor even more now than they have since i bought it i would be mad not to seek a refund right?The choice i have is to act now or wait for dissapointment later and i'm leaning towards a now soloution.

:blush: good luck....

I bet before you saw this thread you were quite happy with your TV......now you want to get rid of it and nothing bad has happened yet.

Have you noticed any degradation in PQ ? I bet not.

I'm with Treblid. There has to be a problem first before you can fix it. I bet some Panasonic techs who actually know what they are talking about and have qualifications in electronics and have specific training about Panasonic products are probably rolling around the lunchroom floor with laughter about this thread.

Panasonic needs to come clean about what exactly. Has anyone got proof that this has occurred to a set in Australia.

I guess that's my point, sort of.

There are a lot of people out there with Panasonic's and they must be up into the 100's if not 1000's of hours and no one is coming forward and saying anything.

I guess I'd like to hear a few people saying "I've got it, and it atrocious" before I jumped ship.

I bet before you saw this thread you were quite happy with your TV......now you want to get rid of it and nothing bad has happened yet.

Have you noticed any degradation in PQ ? I bet not.

I'm with Treblid. There has to be a problem first before you can fix it. I bet some Panasonic techs who actually know what they are talking about and have qualifications in electronics and have specific training about Panasonic products are probably rolling around the lunchroom floor with laughter about this thread.

At my viewing habits my set would be under 400 hours.I like the set just the way it is now and i don't want any change to the black level thank you very much.As to anyone at Pana rolling around laughing on the lunchroom floor about this thread you better be wrong about that because if they don't care about customer satisfaction they might want to think about the unemployment cue.

As to anyone at Pana rolling around laughing on the lunchroom floor about this thread you better be wrong about that because if they don't care about customer satisfaction they might want to think about the unemployment cue.

Let's see, a thread like this certainly makes many people happy:

1) Other competitors that make plasma

2) Panasonic AU lawyers (maybe they get clocked to study this thread)

3) Panasonic AU support as they spend time answering and replying to "is this true" queries (who don't love cut and paste?)... Wow imagine how happy they can be if they can do mass reply!

Everybody benefits except the _real_ Panasonic customers.. Start a poll. I am not going to do it for you. Geez, why do you guys keep stonewalling/shooting your own foot?

Unless your agenda all along is to throw Panasonic in negative light..

Unless your agenda all along is to throw Panasonic in negative light..

Panasonic has only itself to blame for any bad light they may be seen in as they have already admitted to executing a change to sets at 1000 hours that at least some of us don't want.There problem by not thinking about all the concequences of an action.

But these pre-programmed adjustments have been set in every generation of Pana plasmas correct, just at a more subtle level of change?

For anyone with these sets, how do you check the hours used?

I haven't noticed any changes yet but will keep an eye out when i get to 1000 hours. If it turns to crap i'll do a reset unless an update is available.

I bet some Panasonic techs who actually know what they are talking about and have qualifications in electronics and have specific training about Panasonic products are probably rolling around the lunchroom floor with laughter about this thread.

I bet they are not. More like, they are shiting themselves about where to to find their next job if this problem cannot be fixed quickly and easily. Maybe Panasonic will survive as a whole, but I would be very surprised if plasma survived a massive PR stuff up that got out of control. And that type of scenario would be very bad news for thise techs. Admitedly this is not there yet, but it has the potential to do massive damage to Pana (hope you guys at Pana are watching this)!

I bet they are not. More like, they are shiting themselves about where to to find their next job if this problem cannot be fixed quickly and easily. Maybe Panasonic will survive as a whole, but I would be very surprised if plasma survived a massive PR stuff up that got out of control. And that type of scenario would be very bad news for thise techs. Admitedly this is not there yet, but it has the potential to do massive damage to Pana (hope you guys at Pana are watching this)!

I think someone should ring Panasonic

and tell them if they don't do something

we will contact Today Tonight and A curent Affair

I don't think they need this publicity

Has anyone got proof that this has occurred to a set in Australia.

Since it’s a “feature” not a “fault” and designed in its virtually a certainty AU models are affected, UK models are already confirmed to be.

I don’t see why Panasonic would be too concerned about a few AV heads on forums like this when 95% plus of their customers could not care less and will never complain.

Most people would not know what “black level” was and likely have the Brightness control turned up to high anyway.

Edited by Owen

Thanks!

Only got 384 hours up so will be awhile yet!

Just checked mine. 398 hours. I wonder what the "count" means (mine was on 150)?

I'd be interested to know if any Australian owners\calibrators have *measured* the black levels as some AVS members have done?

Not sure if my comment is relevant here but I have had two 2008 model Panasonic 50PX80A's and both have noticeably worsened black levels after the first few months of usage. When new they are supposed to be 0.05cd/m2 and now after 1.5 years of usage I am measuring 0.1cd/m2 with my eye one colourimeter. People on avsforum are reporting an increase from 0.03cd/m2 to 0.06cd/m2 on the 2009 model which seems like not much compared to the increase I've seen.

Even before measuring with the colourimeter I could definitely tell the blacks had gotten worse over the first couple of months. Very disappointing.

Edited by pneu

When new they are supposed to be 0.05cd/m2 and now after 1.5 years of usage I am measuring 0.1cd/m2 with my eye one colourimeter.

finally... Have you contacted Panasonic?

If no, do it and see if they can arrange somebody to drop by.

finally... Have you contacted Panasonic?

If no, do it and see if they can arrange somebody to drop by.

Why bother? They will just claim it's "within spec" and not repair it, or they will try to repair and it will be unsuccessful because the increase in black level is probably deliberate anyway.

For an overall FYI, here is a link to what is actually going on, it goes as deep as the patent even, unless our Oz Viera's use totally different Panasonic technology......well there no magic involved to isolate our panels from the patient and the problem except for in our minds anyway at this point....until someone comes up with a sensible theory based on anything remotely tangible.

Check out post #3003 it seems a good explanation but all of it can be found a month or more ago in the same thread so it's not a new understanding.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....34#post18074234

Why is everyone complaining now about Panasonic's black level issues, when Panasonic have been falsely stating that all their NeoPDP's have contrast ratios of "2,000,000+:1 Dynamic Contrast (Native 40,000:1)" all along? Why complain when you've in some cases knowingly bought a panel that you knew does not live up to the manufacturers claims?

For an overall FYI, here is a link to what is actually going on, it goes as deep as the patent even, unless our Oz Viera's use totally different Panasonic technology......well there no magic involved to isolate our panels from the patient and the problem except for in our minds anyway at this point....until someone comes up with a sensible theory based on anything remotely tangible.

Check out post #3003 it seems a good explanation but all of it can be found a month or more ago in the same thread so it's not a new understanding.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....34#post18074234

Sounds to me like a flawed design. I wonder if the Samsungs do a similar thing and if they do it better and thus do not have this result. Anyone with a 50B550 or 50B850 and s couple of 1000 hours on it, got any greys? I have not heard anything about Kuro's or Samsungs doing this so maybe the Samsungs black levels are actually better than the Pana's after 1000 hours? - seems likely! Well at least on those Panas that do not stabalise on the right voltage.

Who’s to say Panasonic do not know what they are doing. It could well be that the panels need the extra drive over time to guarantee reliable operation. Lowering drive to regain original black level may not be an option.