Sign in to follow this  
snorri

Panasonic Plasma Time Bombs?

Panasonic are SCUM. They care not for you once they have your money.

If a unit fails under warranty, you are LEGALLY entitled to a refund end of story. In fact, if it fails out of warranty you are still entitled to a full refund if "Goods not of merchantable quality" etc.

Call the State sales manager, keep calm, ask for a new unit.

If the answer is "no" then you can get grumpy and threaten all manner of bad press, or even spend 100 and have a solicitor send a letter.

Business is so tight, the manufacturer wont argue. Its SOP to fob you off because that works for 99% of consumers.

Remember, an email is worth nought.

So if you have a warranty issue are you meant to call Panasonic first or do you just take it direct to the authorised service centre?

Read the Operating Instructions (back page) that comes with your TV re warranty and how to to get service i.e. call 132500 or find the centre nearest you via the Panasonic Website and call them.

Plasmas over a certain size I think they will come to your house.

You probably do not have one of these TVs if you do not know how to call for service.

Panasonic are SCUM. They care not for you once they have your money.

I disagree they were very helpful and bent over backwards to help me with an issue with one of their a/c's

Unless you have a very early model the best you can hope for is a replacement TV that has the same issues as the one you have.

I have a THX Mode colour issue on a TH-P54Z1A.It simply looks bloody stupid to me like everything goes pink so my solution to that is never use it :P .I couldn't give a rats about THX i can ajust my own set to get it looking good but if i lose the deep blacks i have now in a few months time i will be spitting chips i can tell you that.I will certainly be taking pics now and on constant alert for any change in black level performance in the coming months.

You know I could think of nothing worse than spending big bucks on a TV then worrying everytime I switch it on that maybe it has changed and the performance is degrading.

Being on "constant alert for any change" must be so stressfull, how can you enjoy your purchase. I have had my TH-50PZ700A for about 20 months now and it still looks as good to me as the day I purchased it. When visitors come to our house they comment what a great looking TV it is. If something goes wrong with it, I'll get it fixed or replace it but I am certainly not going to worry about something that has not happened yet. Not a good way to live in my humble opinion. BTW I am that happy with this panasonic TV that I am soon going to purchase the 65 inch for another room. I also have a panasonic 68cm CRT TV from 1992 and it is still going strong. :D I am just going to check my calendar it's not April 1st is it ?

Hey that's exactly the same response, word for word, that I received too, except my model was the G10A. I replied immediately and told them that they had not answered my question. So, now just waiting for the next response.

Well here is the follow up response from Panasonic:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic Australia with your email.

Panasonic Australia cannot substantiate claims made on forums. Someone making a claim about features or perceived problems on a G series television made for and purchased in the UK, for example, doesn’t equate to a response from Panasonic as a global entity, only Panasonic UK. As such, Panasonic Australia have not classified this as a “known” issue as every instance of 'rising black levels' that has been brought to our attention is something that has been read not something that has been experienced. If our technicians or service people cannot see and identify a problem themselves, then there is no problem with televisions made for the Australian market. Again, while we can accept that forums contain both good and bad information, we cannot respond unless the problem occurs here in Australia on a television made for this region. That being said, we will be investigating these claims but I cannot give you an indication of when this will culminate in a solution as we are investigating claims, not actual faults.

So, looks like they are already on the case. I feel confident by this response that if there is an actual issue here Panasonic will find it and then rectify it. So take it easy, and let Panasonic do its homework. Obviously if you have any hard facts that demonstrate a problem may exist contact Panasonic so they have more data to work with.

Well here is the follow up response from Panasonic:

[

THat is encouraging news.

THat is encouraging news.

Yes it is. Well in the mean time I'm just going to enjoy my TV. Mine was manufactured Nov 09, so if it's an issue many others will experience this before I do. And if it does occur to me hopefully there will already be a fix in place.

For those that didnt see this elsewhere!

Panasonic admits plasma TV black level change but says picture quality still 'excellent'

Source: cnet article

"Automatic Control of Contrast over Operational Lifetime."

Panasonic Viera plasma HDTVs deliver exceptional picture performance throughout the lifetime of these products. Various elements and material characteristics of all electronic displays change with use over time. In order to achieve the optimal picture performance throughout the life of the set, Panasonic Viera plasma HDTVs incorporate an automatic control which adjusts an internal driving voltage at predetermined intervals of operational hours.

As a result of this automatic voltage adjustment, background brightness will increase from its initial value. After several years of typical use, the internal material characteristics will stabilize and no additional automatic voltage adjustments are required. The Black Level at this stabilized point will yield excellent picture performance.

The newest Viera plasma HDTVs incorporate an improved automatic control which applies the voltage adjustments in smaller increments. This results in a more gradual change in the Black Level over time.

Edited by Bertzz

Hmm so they've turned it into a feature, instead of a flaw. Kind of goes against the general consensus in that AVSforum thread doesn't it?

With my older '06 model plasma, I remember statements along the lines of, "brightness should decrease over time" & it was meant to indicate deteriorating quality within the panel as it ages. Maybe this was unrelated to the current discussion though..anyway...

So now they're saying brightness should INCREASE to maintain Panasonics high standards, & NO mention of it sacrificing even a little of the panels picture quality?

All displays need periodic calibration if best performance is to be maintained, especially phosphor based displays like Plasma. The red green and blue phosphor sub pixels loose light output over time and each colour does so at a slightly different rate which means colour will drift over time, especially in the first 100-200 hours.

Edited by Owen

Issues, issues, issues.

They aren't issues, they are "features"... :unsure:

Problems are bound to happen when companies push new models every year and discontinue last years model.. They spread themselves thin and increased the chances of undesired "features"...

Maybe televisions have gotten more complex these days, all the more for more R&D and internal testing before releasing it to the wild.. If only companies can learn to concentrate to make something that works rather than hard sell. :ninja:

That is a very interesting read.I don't think Pana's spin doctors did very well at all and David Katzmaier is right to surgest an air of uncertainty hangs over there product range.Can you imagine the outcry if the Pioneer Kuro range lost there black level over time when that was the whole marketing campaign to sell the bloody things?I think Pana has a potential PR disaster on it's hands here if they don't bend over backwards to provide a solution that pleases the consumer.I hope they handle it better than Hitachi did :o

That is a very interesting read.I don't think Pana's spin doctors did very well at all and David Katzmaier is right to surgest an air of uncertainty hangs over there product range.Can you imagine the outcry if the Pioneer Kuro range lost there black level over time when that was the whole marketing campaign to sell the bloody things?I think Pana has a potential PR disaster on it's hands here if they don't bend over backwards to provide a solution that pleases the consumer.I hope they handle it better than Hitachi did :o

strange that more people haven't put up their hand and said "yes this issue affects me, but if I do a full reset blacks are back to normal", as reported by several users on avsforum.

So there you go! where there is smoke there is almost always fire.

All of little blokes, many dismissed who noticed changes early on where right given the "small incremental changes".

So has my Aussie Viera just a few weeks old unit gone through the same changes? ie no longer the unit I originally bought/thought I was buying? already logic says YES! after all it's the plasma cell voltage regulation that is the issue here and why would the physics of those identical cells change just because they are housed on the bottom end on the same planet.

Not happy Jan!

All of little blokes, many dismissed who noticed changes early on where right given the "small incremental changes".

So has my Aussie Viera just a few weeks old unit gone through the same changes? ie no longer the unit I originally bought/thought I was buying? already logic says YES! after all it's the plasma cell voltage regulation that is the issue here and why would the physics of those identical cells change just because they are housed on the bottom end on the same planet.

Not happy Jan!

Hang on.

Have you had it 1000 hours?

Have you noticed a change?

Will it matter when you do?

Can't it be fixed by a reset?

I don't see any evidence (yet) that you are correct in your fears.

I have a friend with a panasonic and he has had it a long time and reported nothing different.

Are we talking a 'purist' issue OR an 'every day man' issue?

I think Pana has a potential PR disaster on it's hands here if they don't bend over backwards to provide a solution that pleases the consumer.

+1 - Many people including myself have put off purchasing (another) one these products because of this black level problem.

If my black levels on my G10 change at 1000 hours and there is not a firware fix for this by then, I will be taking the panel back and asking for a refund. I will use Fair Trading and the ACCC if necessary.

I did not buy a plasma with superious black levels for only the first 3 months of its life!

strange that more people haven't put up their hand and said "yes this issue affects me, but if I do a full reset blacks are back to normal", as reported by several users on avsforum.

That would be the first thing i would try if i notice a change to the black levels.The whole changing the set at 1000 hours crazy if you ask me anyway.For most of us that would be like a 4 month old tv.They all come with a brightness control and if we all accept they lose brightness over time and as Owen surgests RGB wear at different rates then a simple reminder message on the screen at 1000 hours telling us our screen is due for recalibration to mantain optimum viewing pleasure would be better than changing the tv's specs.

In the US..

As far as I can tell everything is about the US and yet to see any conclusive evidence its a problem here.

As others have suggested perhaps start a new thread maybe 'Panasonic plasma decreasing black levels' with these links and a poll, and ask that people please post measurements or pics to accurately illustrate the problem. Then over time we should know for sure, and if it is a problem have a ready file of evidence to take to Panasonic Australia to rectify the problem ASAP.

Doesn't bother me either way as after waiting this long gonna see how this 3D pans out ;)

Hang on.

Have you had it 1000 hours?

Have you noticed a change?

Will it matter when you do?

Can't it be fixed by a reset?

I don't see any evidence (yet) that you are correct in your fears.

I have a friend with a Panasonic and he has had it a long time and reported nothing different.

Are we talking a 'purist' issue OR an 'every day -man' issue?

The problem is not a fault or a bug it is a designed in predetermined routine, that means and has been mentioned elsewhere on the net that they goofed and went at it too hard, that is effectively established now for anyone who has kept up. The 2010 models will also have the routine BUT more incremental.

The state of play outside of straight guesswork ATM is every single one WILL experience this designer routine because it is designed into the unit...it is not a fault!

I want my contrast back! now or the moment it is designed to disappear back toward one of cheaper panels I looked over to buy this one because the contrast will be no different given just a little time.

Edited by snorri

I want my contrast back!

Some day or later you have to face this. If you're not happy to reset, or actually wait for the problem to be confirmed in Australia, the only solution for you (and other like minded folks) is to get a refund from Panasonic...

Do it now. The earlier you do it, the better... Given it's going to happen at the 1000hr mark, the price of the TV will depreciate a lot quicker than the black level of the TV.

In the US..

As far as I can tell everything is about the US and yet to see any conclusive evidence its a problem here.

As others have suggested perhaps start a new thread maybe 'Panasonic plasma decreasing black levels' with these links and a poll, and ask that people please post measurements or pics to accurately illustrate the problem. Then over time we should know for sure, and if it is a problem have a ready file of evidence to take to Panasonic Australia to rectify the problem ASAP.

Doesn't bother me either way as after waiting this long gonna see how this 3D pans out ;)

I am no TV tech but guaranteed we have the identical issue here, it's not about video format or the component plant in which it was manufacturer or assembled it's about the TVs firmware, nothing more nothing less.

For the issue to not be on our shores already would mean Panasonic made a corporate decision to not use the viera firmware that preserves RGB in our aussie sets for some inane reason...this just wouldn't make corporate sense, so pretty much if your viera turns on or changes channels via firmware one could take the bet that within the same firmware will be the dodgy increased contrast algorithm/routine.