Sign in to follow this  
snorri

Panasonic Plasma Time Bombs?

I'm thinking about getting a 42 g10 or a v10 50". Given this current issue, would people recommend I say away? Advice would be appreciated. can get the 42g10 for 999AUD atm.

Hey soadaholic - where are you getting the $999 from for the 42G10?

I've found $949 - but online at Big Brown Box.

I've already had a TH-46PZ800 for 18 months and I've decided to say with Panasonic.

I can't find anything else (plasma) that excites me.

If you're really fussy about blacks - maybe you should look around (I'm not sure what at .. ?)

If you could tell me where you're getting the $999 for the 42G10 I'd appreciate it.

Edited by thedonkee

Hey soadaholic - where are you getting the $999 from for the 42G10?

I've found $949 - but online at Big Brown Box.

I've already had a TH-46PZ800 for 18 months and I've decided to say with Panasonic.

I can't find anything else (plasma) that excites me.

If you're really fussy about blacks - maybe you should look around (I'm not sure what at .. ?)

If you could tell me where you're getting the $999 for the 42G10 I'd appreciate it.

I'm in Melb, so looking for places nearby.

http://www.panasales.com.au/product_item.asp?Id=825

whats wrong with big brown box?

I'm in Melb, so looking for places nearby.

http://www.panasales.com.au/product_item.asp?Id=825

whats wrong with big brown box?

Nothing is wrong with them as far as I know.

I just don't know that much about them. I asked on another thread if anyone had dealt with them - but had no response.

You know Panasales are refurbished units . . right?

At least the ones at BBB are brand new.

And delivery is free!

mmm - will I? - won't I .... ?

That's because Cinema mode at its default settings is extremely dull and frankly been set up poorly by the engineers who designed the mode. The picture has low contrast, low gamma and low colour luminance. To get it looking acceptable it needs a lot of work, and even then there are still noticeable problems like 20% red, blue and magenta push in the SD colour matrix, and a massively oversaturated green. The normal picture mode would actually be superior if it wasn't for its trainwreck gamma curve.

I tried your settings without touching the service menu. For some reason it looks like there is a film of tint or something on the screen, the picture is more yellowish and not as bright. Probably because i haven't done the service menu changes like you have. I'm watching Indy on ESPNHD which is 720p and the PQ is awesome, colours and blacks looks brilliant in Normal mode IMO. Try my settings on yours and see what you think.

I do however have the right as a person who has payed the money to say to Panasonic i think raising the idle luminance level after 6 months or less is a bad idea.
I thought it was based on hours of use.

So ekkieTHUMP, let me try to understand your engineering/marketing suggestion to Panasonic. Is it that the black level be made higher to begin with so that there is no need for a change after 6 months "average" use?

Or is it perhaps that customers ought to be be warned at the time of purchase that the minimum light level will rise as the panel ages?

They don't need to turn the world upside down, they just need to release a firmware fix to the few of us who complain. Apparently all it requires is changing about 2 or 3 parameters in memory.

What fix are you talking about? More numerous but smaller increments in the required drive level adjustments?

For your model set, is this functionality controlled by user updateable firmware? Or is the functionality controlled by fixed ROM and/or hardwired drive level boost hardware?

I don't know the answers to those questions. I'd have thought though that if extra and smaller drive level adjustments could be incorporated by way of an easy to install user installable firmware update, Panasonic would have published updates by now. Happy to be corrected.

Edited by MLXXX

I have a TH-P46G10A that was delivered on the weekend so I may be able to provide the pictures your after.

Thanks for offering, but pixelengine has already helped me out with that.

What fix are you talking about?

Either a new A-board or a reset to default of some of the firmware parameters on the A-board will bring the black level back to its original brightness. Not permanently though, the parameters will keep needing a reset every 200 hours or so.

Either a new A-board or a reset to default of some of the firmware parameters on the A-board will bring the black level back to its original brightness. Not permanently though, the parameters will keep needing a reset every 200 hours or so.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the panel actually need a higher drive level as it ages, in order for the pixels to fire reliably? If you kept resetting the panel to its original as new settings wouldn't you reach the point where the drive level was insufficient for the panel to operate? Isn't this why Panasonic increase the drive level as a function of hours of operation of the panel?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the panel actually need a higher drive level as it ages, in order for the pixels to fire reliably? If you kept resetting the panel to its original as new settings wouldn't you reach the point where the drive level was insufficient for the panel to operate? Isn't this why Panasonic increase the drive level as a function of hours of operation of the panel?

Yes but the firmware is over compensating for it. Once we find the parameter which controls black level we should be able to dial it back ourselves to a minimum point without causing picture problems. If there are any problems in the future we might have to increase it, but I'm skeptical of whether this is even necessary.

Edited by pneu

Just got TH-P50V20A on weekend at Good Guys for $2140 delivered. Awesome! Chose over the Samsung 3D as everyone I spoke to rated Panasonic as best plasma on market and 3D just a gimmick at this stage. Really wanted 54" but cannot believe it has no swivel stand. What a joke! Japanese quality but inferior options. No way I was paying $400 premium for 4"'s and no swivel that would probably cost me $249 as an option down the track.

Yes but the firmware is over compensating for it. Once we find the parameter which controls black level we should be able to dial it back ourselves to a minimum point without causing picture problems. If there are any problems in the future we might have to increase it, but I'm skeptical of whether this is even necessary.

Good luck.

Just got TH-P50V20A on weekend at Good Guys for $2140 delivered. Awesome! Chose over the Samsung 3D as everyone I spoke to rated Panasonic as best plasma on market and 3D just a gimmick at this stage. Really wanted 54" but cannot believe it has no swivel stand. What a joke! Japanese quality but inferior options. No way I was paying $400 premium for 4"'s and no swivel that would probably cost me $249 as an option down the track.

Who did you speak to?

(i've also posted this on hdtv prices-thought i'd post here as I received some good advice here also)

After much deliberation (particluarly in relation to Panasonic black levels) I ordered the

Panasonic VIErA TH-P42G10A 42" Full HD Plasma from Big Brown Box.

I am going ahead with my eyes wide open.

The price was just too good to refuse. And stock is running low - this is now a runout model.

(From what i've read it's arguably a little better than the models which followed so I really

wanted to secure this one)

$949 Including free delivery. (Clive Peeters have it on sale (?) this week at $1649)

I also got an extended 2 year warranty for $125

Just some feedback on Big Brown Box in case anyone else is considering trying them:

http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/

BBB is a one of a number of companies which are part of "Thorn Group Ltd". An Australian company.

Other businesses within this group are Radio Rentals, Rentlo and Cashfirst amongst others. So they are

not just some newbie organistaion.

http://www.thorn.com.au/

My initial impression is really positive. I asked about their policy on DOA or major problems in the

first week or so. They said if there was a problem in the first 14 days they would send out a replacement

unit at THEIR expense.

On further investigation of their website all this important stuff is clearly explained here:

http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/terms-conditions/

and here:

http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/faq/

Delivery is free on all items they sell.

They telephoned me within 5 minutes of placing the online order to confirm everything was correct and

answered other questions I had about delivery times etc.

delivery expected in the next few days

I am impressed.... so far .................

Edited by thedonkee

Just passed 650 hours on the 50S10A and now have 0.020ftL. In all honesty I can say the blacks are looking mediocre at best.

Not sure where to ask this, but, recently bought a 46G10A for $1199 pretty happy with it but I cant find any Australian recommended calibration settings anywhere? (set was display model has about > 500 hours on it, blacks seem fine but not that great (The descent BD looked a little grey) compared to my Samsung 40C650 LCD.

Got my consoles set up fine, just wanted to know some of the basic and advanced settings Aussies are using/have used with this set?

All I can find is 0 - 60 values (I assume OS). Really want the nicest black (best I have is on VGA/360/expanded range).

I have brightness 48, contrast 52, sharpness 0, colour 50, warm (360) cool (ps3), all picture enhancement turned off and havent touched the advnaced settins except for gamma to 2.5 (from 2.2). Overscan is off.

Also how do I get 1:1 pixel mapping?

Edited by ManeKast

Has anyone seen the new ads Panasonic are running? Their whole campaign is now about how good their black levels are. I find this pretty arrogant considering what's happening with the 2009 range.

Edit. I'll bite my lip!

Edited by andys

Has anyone seen the new ads Panasonic are running? Their whole campaign is now about how good their black levels are. I find this pretty arrogant considering what's happening with the 2009 range.

I saw it and it struck me as a flat out lie.There black levels are not good and after a certain number of hours use they go from not good to very ordinary. :huh:

Overscan is off.

Also how do I get 1:1 pixel mapping?

You already have it. If overscan is off, and you are watching a 1920x1080 source, with your 1920x1080 pixel TV, then you should be getting 1:1 pixel mapping.

You already have it. If overscan is off, and you are watching a 1920x1080 source, with your 1920x1080 pixel TV, then you should be getting 1:1 pixel mapping.

I spoke with my retailer and have a chance to return my 46G10A for an exchange with another TV. I really need something with low input lag like this TV. Serioulsy, should I go a 2010 plasma and expect the same thing (yep my blacks are GREY, already) or go a Samsung plasma?

So lost!

I spoke with my retailer and have a chance to return my 46G10A for an exchange with another TV. I really need something with low input lag like this TV. Serioulsy, should I go a 2010 plasma and expect the same thing (yep my blacks are GREY, already) or go a Samsung plasma?

So lost!

Sony used to make quite good CRT's that when displaying an all black image in a totally dark room the image was so black the only give away that the TV was actually on was the power led on the front panel. If you are wanting ultimate blacks you may need to search out one of these units, sometimes they can be found 2nd hand on ebay with a screen size up to around 86cm.

The Samsung Plasma (depending on model) may have a black level straight out of the box that is already higher than the Panasonic after it has got to it's final stabilised state so this may not be a suitable alternative either if you're very concerned about black levels.

Sony used to make quite good CRT's that when displaying an all black image in a totally dark room the image was so black the only give away that the TV was actually on was the power led on the front panel. If you are wanting ultimate blacks you may need to search out one of these units, sometimes they can be found 2nd hand on ebay with a screen size up to around 86cm.

The Samsung Plasma (depending on model) may have a black level straight out of the box that is already higher than the Panasonic after it has got to it's final stabilised state so this may not be a suitable alternative either if you're very concerned about black levels.

I have a 2006 Sony CRT HDTV, its great but its on its last legs. Good point though, about black levels, I get it and it is good advice.

Anyway the retailer has offered the following;

V10 $1989 50' Panny Plasma.

G10 $1590 50' Panny Plasma.

Now I must decide, stay with what I have and accept it or move on to one of these and have it swapped. I did hear the G10 50' suffered much less black level decline is this true? Or am I wishing for something that can not be?

Anyway the retailer has offered the following;

Show these articles to the retailer and tell them the product you purchased was not as advertised:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10447329-1.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462105-1.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10449939-1.html

Depending on how long ago you purchased the set you should be entitled to a full refund or exchange. If you want an exchange I would be asking for a 2010 model as the info I've got is that the black level problem has been fixed.

Samsungs are good plasmas too but you will have to use Game mode to get rid of the input lag.

50V20 has an RRP of $2099 and people are getting the 50G10 on runout for just over $1000 so those prices they've given you are inflated.