Panasonic Plasma Time Bombs?

Never paid much attention to the PS3 settngs, however I checked and I have mine set to full RGB range. Is this not a good thing, should this be set to standard??

I have no troubles with black levels on the Sammy PS63C7000 but if a change in the PS3 settings would make it even better??

Not meaning to hijack the tread, just sparked my interest.

I set my PS3 to limited. Picture is brighter and more detailed as leaving it on FULL RGB picture is darker and alot of the detail is blackened out. This is on a Panasonic plasma so I'm not sure on other brands of TV.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never paid much attention to the PS3 settngs, however I checked and I have mine set to full RGB range. Is this not a good thing, should this be set to standard??

I have no troubles with black levels on the Sammy PS63C7000 but if a change in the PS3 settings would make it even better??

Not meaning to hijack the tread, just sparked my interest.

Yes, change it to the lower setting. You will get much better black levels.

Andys.

Actually this sounds like you might have the ps3 and 360 set to full or expanded RGB range. Try setting it to standard range under HDMI settings.

Christ, what a difference. Do you want payment in sex or cash?

Thank god!

Yeah it should be set to standard or normal or whatever the PS3 calls it. TV's use a smaller range of video signals (16-235) as opposed to PC monitors which use the full range (0-255). If you're using a PC monitor then you can use full range and get the benefit of those extra shades of colours, but on a TV if you use full range the TV will clip those bottom 16 shades and they will disappear into black.

Do you want payment in sex or cash?

:D

Yeah it should be set to standard or normal or whatever the PS3 calls it. TV's use a smaller range of video signals (16-235) as opposed to PC monitors which use the full range (0-255). If you're using a PC monitor then you can use full range and get the benefit of those extra shades of colours, but on a TV if you use full range the TV will clip those bottom 16 shades and they will disappear into black.

:D

Great information there, much appreciated. So here are my video settings on the PS3 as they currently stand:

RGB Full Range : Limited (other option-Full)

y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White: Off (other option-On)

Deep Colour output: Auto (other option-Off)

Havent tested with a movie yet but does this sound ok or should I turn the Deep colour output to off?

Edited by jfbari
Great information there, much appreciated. So here are my video settings on the PS3 as they currently stand:

RGB Full Range : Limited (other option-Full)

y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White: Off (other option-On)

Deep Colour output: Auto (other option-Off)

Havent tested with a movie yet but does this sound ok or should I turn the Deep colour output to off?

Looks good :)

Deep Colour is fine on Auto, it just means if any games use more than 8-bit colour they will be output correctly at the higher bit depth. Television and movies don't use more than 8-bit colour so it's not needed for those.

You MUST recalibrate the contrast and especially brightness on the TV when changing the input from PC levels (0-256) to video levels (16-235) and v-v.

Black level on the TV should ALWAYS be the same after readjustment no matter what input you use.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

I bought a 50v10 about a year ago and about 3 months in the black levels definitely dropped. I remember watching Resident Hill when it happened and struggled to make out things in some of the darker scenes, and after that watching in a dark room was definitely very slightly but noticeably lighter.

But also from then on was a faint but noticeably lighter grey strip along the top and bottom about half an inch high. Will need to turn out the lights probably to make it out in this photo, I will try and take some better ones..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/67257794.jpg/

Then on the weekend watched a boxing dvd and the lines ropes where visible though the fighters throughout the fight. And then watching fta a commercial with something in the middle on a blank lime green background it had lots of horizontal lines on it, this made my 2k top of the range 50v10 look like a $200 Aldi POS. I have read that is horizontal line bleed, but found it very difficult to replicate and never as severe as that to photograph. The dvd was very old though being the Muhammad Ali v George Frasier fight. Not sure if this is something which occurs over time or not, but I never noticed it before.

I would really appreciate any advice please on whether either of these are warranty faults? Another issue is my 1 year warranty runs out on Monday and the "product is found to be faulty within the warranty period" has me a bit worried. Not ideal but Dad has been extremely ill and I have been away from home for a month.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Lik

Edited by likwidsh0k