Panasonic Plasma Time Bombs?

I guess sometimes you get what you paid for and sometimes you don't, though I'm not sure which category this one falls into, but it does seem to be a major issue for people who like their blacks, but then again if you really like your blacks you would of bought a pioneer in the first place. The latest Pioneer panels get deeper blacks as they age as opposed to the latest Panasonic's.

I hate to tell you this but there are no "latest Pioneer panels". Pioneer have stopped making plasmas.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to tell you this but there are no "latest Pioneer panels". Pioneer have stopped making plasmas.

Mate, I think you need to go look up the word 'latest' in a dictionary as you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word. The use of the word latest in this case implies the most recent Pioneers plasmas manufactured, whether or not pioneer has stopped manufacturing panels is irrelevant. You probably have been living under a rock in recent times, as news of pioneer ceasing production of panels has been posted countless times on this forum already as you find it necessary to repeat it again.

Mate, I think you need to go look up the word 'latest' in a dictionary as you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word. The use of the word latest in this case implies the most recent Pioneers plasmas manufactured, whether or not pioneer has stopped manufacturing panels is irrelevant. You probably have been living under a rock in recent times, as news of pioneer ceasing production of panels has been posted countless times on this forum already as you find it necessary to repeat it again.

Damn, there's an echo in here :rolleyes:

Pardon me while I get back under my rock.

Edited by brumby

Didnt the poster just mean the last batch (which would by definition be the latest??).

Ooops.. sorry.. bit slow in posting there and the point has already been made.

Edited by BadBeachBoy

Damn, there's an echo in here :rolleyes:

Pardon me while I get back under my rock.

Have you looked up the word in the english dictionary yet? or are you about to give us some more mind blowing information that's been on the internet for over a year now?

Just found out about this myself and was very surprised to not have heard a single word about it anywhere here or at Whirlpool which leads me to suspect this may be (with the 50g10) a US market fault with their THX certified panels (TC-P50G10) as opposed to ours (TH-P50G10A) which are not, but yet to get a definitive answer.

Passing comments in this thread and others in a few other threads here and at WP indicate that some people have noticed a difference when following the reset process and this was not even with the G10 but PZ80 I think. Anyway, I dont think this is a THX issue and think its more widespread amongst all G11 and G12 Pana's, but this remains to be proven.

Passing comments in this thread and others in a few other threads here and at WP indicate that some people have noticed a difference when following the reset process and this was not even with the G10 but PZ80 I think. Anyway, I dont think this is a THX issue and think its more widespread amongst all G11 and G12 Pana's, but this remains to be proven.

Thanks again. Sorry, my THX speculation was based purely on watching any pana plasmas thread for the last 3+ months here or Whirlpool and not seeing any mention of this problem whatsoever when as someone said on Whirlpool every man and his dog has a g10, whereas seems alot of people on AVS have the problem and so made an assumption that being the only difference perhaps the THX was the cause of their problem. Also talking about ALL 08 & 09 models surprised there is no thread or more discussion here specifically, and that the AVS thread only started in August last year for something that affect 08 models a few hundred hours in?

They did mention that if in a well lit room you may never notice it at all, but I watch tellie in a darkened room so the black levels on the pana is what attracted me to it over an LCD, and the problem discussed what definitely affect me.

TBH still not sure what to believe and with only 3 days left in the wii promotion...

TBH still not sure what to believe and with only 3 days left in the wii promotion...

I agree, this is something that I am sure Pana would prefer never surfaced and they may not be keep to anounce anything until they know what their way forward is. If thats a quick firware upgrade as has been mentioned in the US, then thats great, no biggie. But if its something that cannot be fixed with firware then I would say, the fallout for them will be huge and they are gonna loose market share to LED/LCD at a rate never seen before. Either way, I dont think its wise to buy a Pana at this point even if the promo is about to end. my 2c

Reading through those other forums it certainly does indicate the problem is real and has been backed-up (in some cases) with technical measurements. Some comments also suggest Panasonic are aware of the problem. The problem appears to be related to voltage changes at pre-determined hours (to preserve panel life), and those values being set too high. If that is the case, then it would be easily fixed with a firmware update.

As the hours on our Panasonics continue to roll up, it'll be interesting to see if the problem is noted here in significant numbers.

Andys.

Edited by andys

There are millions of different colours to enjoy watching on a TV, I really don't care if there is a slight change in just one colour. If won't affect my enjoyment from this TV.

We might as well get used to these changing colours because as we get older our eyes won't see these colours in the same light again.

There are millions of different colours to enjoy watching on a TV, I really don't care if there is a slight change in just one colour. If won't affect my enjoyment from this TV.

We might as well get used to these changing colours because as we get older our eyes won't see these colours in the same light again.

I think the whole thing has been hyped out of proportion also. There are hundreds of people on this forum and others who have said how wonderful their Pannies are and NO ONE has reported the greying (of course some will come out of the woodwork now). If it was such a big deal this forum and the others would be full of complaints....all we have is a report from the US by some tech guy who apparently knows his stuff and may well be correct but how come the real world which is people actually watching their TVs has not even made a whimper..

I bet there will be a few now inspecting their blacks and whingeing.

Let us wait for Panasonic's official answer in due course, it may only affect US Tvs , different mains voltage for a start.

Two points I would like to make;

1. phosphors age with use and overtime the PQ would naturally change anyway and require users to possibly recalibrate their settings - this is more of a rapid change though

2. the new Panasonic models (13G) are probably beginning to be manufactured now in readiness for shipment to retailers over next month for the US and here by April, so if there is an issue, hopefully they have applied the fix to the new generation panels

As someone who still remembers watching only two channels on a black and white set with severe ghosting and static......I can live with it and won't go looking for it either. Can't even be bothered following the threads to see what the fuss is !

It may be better for ones stress levels to live without knowing the truth, but what gets me is that these CE companies put out these outrageous claims of CR and panel life etc and in actual fact its all just smoke and mirrors and the extra new wiz-bang features that you paid good money for are actually not there but in fact just a lie. The fact that the voltage needs to change to preserve the phosphors means that without doing this little trick the panel is still probably just a 60000 hour panel not 100000 hour panel! Its way too much like deception to me. I feel that you should get the CR, black level, panel life etc that you pay for - simple as that.

Is this problem known to exist in older models? I until recently used to have a PX600A and after about 2 years old, suddenly the blacks lost all blackishness and went to grey. Both myself and the wife noticed it, it was like a sudden change not a gradual thing. Infact I got blamed for 'messing around' with it again

Interesting!!

I bought my V10 along with 5 other friends/work colleagues back in early Sept. We all agree that the blacks have improved with age.

I have around 2300 hrs up now ( approx 8 hrs a day ) and after seeing this report I did a double take with BR / FTA and can't detect any deteriation of black levels..

As said above in this thread, most visitors comment that its the best colour/blacks they have come across..

In saying that I realise they probably haven't seen many Pioneers lol

But I will be keeping an eye on my V10 and developments here.

Wow i bought my V10 a month ago and i have photos showing the black's get gradually worse. My parents have the 800a and it is horrible to look at now with the blacks being grey.

new firmware update, from S to V. 42 to 54

Mandatory Update - SC Bd damage reduction.

http://www.techtraining.panasonic.com/firm...tent/Plasma.ASP

can anyone read between the lines??

Interesting No 58V listed. This is a US based site and they list all the U models not A. I would be wary of installing any firmware without advise from Pana Australlia

Edited by Guest

After reading several posts on this thread i raced down stairs and had a good look at my 14 month old 50PZ800A, black is still as black as it has ever been , grey is grey , white is white.............

no need to panic............ but ill be watching these levels closer now.........thanks for that............

Wow i bought my V10 a month ago and i have photos showing the black's get gradually worse. My parents have the 800a and it is horrible to look at now with the blacks being grey.

If blacks are turning to grey now that's a different matter. I would be most upset by this.

Has anyone contacted Panasonic Australia to ask them the significance of the firmware upgrade to the equivalent G series TVs in America?

SC Bd = Scan Control board. What is this all about?

Edited by unity

I hope Panasonic fix this soon as I'm going shopping for the V10 or G10 this evening before the Wii promotion runs out. Fingers crossed it's just a firmware issue but I'll have a couple of hundred hours left before I have to start worrying I think.

That's not good torana355 Have you looked at getting a replacement?

BTW: If these FW updates are ratified by Panasonic Aust, how does one get FW updates copied to an SD card if my computers don't have an SD slot?