Sign in to follow this  
diesel

2010 Panasonic Tv Lineup

Just reading through the Panasonic 2010 thread on AVSForums and noticed this specification

Also new in 2010, many VIERA models come equipped with two USB ports and are WiFi ready, by using a dongle for wireless VIERA CAST access. Motion and still images, video and music stored on a PC can be copied onto a USB memory device and easily viewed on the VIERA screen. The USB port also allows recording to an external hard disk drive.

Now I recall current models can record to SDHC card, but the quality is not FTA standard IIRC. I wonder if this new feature will be the same or if it will allow a 1:1 quality recording of FTA broadcasts???

Looks like you may have to track down some '09 models then. There would have to be some Vs around still wouldn't there?

After the 'faded blacks' issue, there's probably plenty around ;)

Was told by a manager at a big chain that March is the usual best time to buy TVs, seeing the new sets are about to hit, and they run out the last year's models...

I don't believe so. AFAIK the new Panasonics will be able to display 3D footage but need it fed from a compatable source eg broadcast or Bluray

It's funny, in all this 3D buzz, I had missed seeing this feature in the Samsung range

The LED TVs with 3D capability include Samsung's LED7000 series and above, plasma TVs in the 7000 series and above and 750 Series LCD TVs. For people who want to watch regular 2D television shows in 3D, Samsung has included a 3D chip with auto-conversion technology that renders 2D content into 3D in real time.
Edited by diesel

I don't believe so. AFAIK the new Panasonics will be able to display 3D footage but need it fed from a compatable source eg broadcast or Bluray

It's funny, in all this 3D buzz, I had missed seeing this feature in the Samsung range

Well then I'm going to have to see if the conversion is a nice effect that I like. It may sway me buy a Samsung instead.

I can't wait for more reviews now.

:winky:

anyone in the know got better info yet on delivery dates?

some pricing news from the US

Engadget

I think the next 6 months is going to be an exciting time to be buying a new TV. I was ready to jump into a 65 in Panasonic but delivery times have held me back. Maybe its a godsend as I will now hold out a while longer and just see what is coming around the corner. I would still like to see something afordable in the 65 in plus sizes. 70 to 75 inches at less than 10K would be good. :D

An interesting review of the 2010 G20

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?sub...p;id=1267447473

Sounds like the intelligent frame creation feature has been improved which could mean good things for the 24p judder issue hopefully.

The new screen filter sounds like it's a winner, HDD recording will be handy, and 1 input compatible with hdmi 1.4.

Keen to see some in depth info like this on the V models now.. but if we get a 54" G model this time round, at an attractive price, it will be my pick i think.

Right, thanks for the detail. So essentially the 24p Smooth Film feature on the V series is useless.. ?

For the basic 24p->96Hz process, each input frame is repeated (ie you get 4 frames instead of 1 but they are all identical) and this supposedly reduces flicker.

A___B___ -> AAAABBBB

For 24p "Smooth Film", the TV predicts what the frames between A and B should look like and the end result is similar to what you might see if you filmed at 96fps instead of 24fps: smoother motion, because in each frame, moving objects have only moved 1/4 of the distance that they would have when captured at 24fps.

A___B___ -> AP1P2P3BP1P2P3 where P are the predicted frames and may be different from each other.

Both arrangements display frames at effectively 96Hz, but the frame content will differ between the 2 methods.

I think all the current Panasonics in the range support 24p->96Hz for flicker minimisation, but only the high end models support the 24p smooth film interpolation.

It's up to the customer whether they like the 24p smooth film effect. Opinions are that it no longer looks film-like. Maybe you prefer smoother motion to it replicating the look of film.

If you want film to still look like film (and that includes the jitter limitation of catching motion at 24fps), then the 24p smooth film is not going to do much for you.

Judder is usually the uneven jerky motion you get when you convert 24p to 60i and is the carryover from the NTSC days of 60Hz TVs that had to find a way to display 24fps film on them: the penalty was a jerkiness to otherwise smooth motion. Similar judder will be displayed on TVs that can't show 24p directly and have to convert it to 60i. Some TVs have advanced processing that can take a 60i input (if originally at 24p) and convert it back to 24p for display, which should remove the judder. Note that in retail shops, most display TVs are probably driven by 60i component, even when connected to a Bluray player, so unless they are good at converting it back to 24p, you will probably see judder.

Edited by IanD

I noticed an ad for the bose store this morning selling the pana 85" and 100+ something model didnt give prices tho.

First review of new Panasonic's with 3D Panasonic TC-P50VT20 Review

2D Viewing

The improved scan and phosphors along with the deep blacks and accurate color provided excellent image reproduction and fine shadow detail. These improvements add up to amazing overall images free of the “video look” associated with 120 and 240 Hz LED LCDs.

3D Viewing

Overall, I find the 3D image outstanding with considerably more brightness and pop than the motion picture theater 3D movie experience.

In other words, if you like 3D in the movie theater, you’ll love the way this TV does it at home.

Edited by HomerJ

Someone should inform the reviewer that the “video look” is due to motion interpolation, turn it off and LCD’s have all the low frame rate jitter with film source your heart could desire.

Black level on the new Panasonic seems no better than the 2009 model at 0.004ftl, thats the same as a two year old G8 Pioneer Kuro and 4 times higher than a G9 Kuro. It looks like black level is not a priority for Panasonic, they would rather go 3D than provide better 2d quality.

With no Pioneer anymore pushing the pure black aspect, Panasonic seems more interested in high brightness to compete against LCDs :(

:lol: They won’t win that battle and they can't come close to local dimming LCD for blacks either.

If they don’t extract a digit it’s all over for Panasonic Plasma.

Edited by Owen

Panasonic have sold out entirely of their new 3D plasma model in the US. Keep in mind these are US prices but with how close our dollar is at the moment pricing shouldn't be too much higher.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/032410shelves/

March 24, 2010 — A week after they went on sale, Panasonic's 3D TVs have sold out. Early adopters love 'em.

Panasonic was the first TV manufacturer to offer 3D sets. The 50-inch TC-P50VT20 plasma set listed for $2499 and sold for $2890 at Best Buy in a package with a Blu-ray player and a pair of 3D glasses. Now the model is back-ordered.

More info

The VT models are Panasonic’s top-of-the-line 2010 plasma HDTVs. In addition to the 3D features, Panasonic added a number of improvements over its 2009 V10 series. Performance enhancements include: shorter decay red and green phosphors, elimination of the 2nd front glass panel with the addition of a new micro-louvered anti-glare filter bonded directly to the glass, a new panel scan system, anti-blur circuitry and higher energy efficiency.

http://www.best-3dtvs.com/panasonic-3d-tv-...p54vt25-review/

The Panasonic TC-P54VT25 features a number of novel technological innovations that enable fundamental improvements in the performance of this plasma panel over last years premium Plasma TVs. With improved black levels, color accuracy, glare reduction, screen refresh rates andenergy efficiency, this TV is a great choice even if you are only looking to upgrade to a better quality TV for 2D content. The 3D is almost a bonus, and it certainly does not disappoint. While there will surely be some teething issues with the first generation of 3D TVs, the Panasonic VT25 series appears to hold the lead over all its other competitors when it comes to 3D performance and 3D video quality. The plasma panel technology also means that this television will be significantly cheaper than some of the ultra-slim LED edge-lit 3D TVs being released by other manufacturers like Samsung.

{Thanks to Homerlovesbeer posted at Whirlpool}

Pricing shouldn't be much higher??? Really? Well how about comparing the price of the 50" V10 in the US last year and after it's launch in OZ... $2000 US vs. $3200 AU... or how about the Sony EX500 or EX700 (current gen) the US 46" EX700 is $1600, the OZ version is $2800. It would be really, really nice to have this kinf of fair pricing between US, Europe and Australia but the sad fact is that Aussie shoppers are being held by the iron grip of electronics importers and retailers and are getting ripped off in an unprecedented manner day by day! :(

{Reply by Matejay}

Any suggestions please on what we can expect pricing wise here in Oz? I read, I think it was an Owen, said the opening prices will be quite high and unlikely for there to be any bonus offers, but after say about 3 months prices may drop a bit.

Thanks

Edited by likwidsh0k

Any suggestions please on what we can expect pricing wise here in Oz? I read, I think it was an Owen, said the opening prices will be quite high and unlikely for there to be any bonus offers, but after say about 3 months prices may drop a bit.

That's been their past form, though Samsung have some very very keen pricing on their new models

That's been their past form, though Samsung have some very very keen pricing on their new models

Yeah been reading about that too..

http://www.channelnews.com.au/Display/3D_TV/L8X8X9X2

Samsung appear to have started a 3D TV price war by launching a new, Internet-enabled, 50”, HD, Plasma, 3D TV, complete with a 3D Blu-ray player and two pair of 3D glasses, plus a 3D Blu-ray movie, Monster vs Aliens for under $3,300.

Also this on whirlpool..

Canadian RRP

TC-P65VT25 June $4,999

TC-P58VT25 June $3,999

TC-P54VT25 May $3,499

TC-P50VT25 May $2,999

And someone purely guessing from the Samsung prices that maaay be close to what we might see here?

Ahh.. but I severely doubt it if the VT20 is $2,500 US lol

Edited by likwidsh0k

:lol: They won’t win that battle and they can't come close to local dimming LCD for blacks either.

If they don’t extract a digit it’s all over for Panasonic Plasma.

This is a valid point for the discerning buyer. However we are talking about the mass market here and "frankly my dear they couldn't give a damn"

They look just fine in the retail store in Torch mode with the latest br animated movie playing under the bright mercury lights of the store.

Edited by CC Rider

This is a valid point for the discerning buyer. However we are talking about the mass market here and "frankly my dear they couldn't give a damn"

They look just fine in the retail store in Torch mode with the latest br animated movie playing under the bright mercury lights of the store.

So true, its clear that the main manufacturers aren't in any hurry to reproduce the Pio levels of blacks. I think the current crop of sets are good enough, personally i would not pay a 50-100% premium to get a bit better black levels, and neither would Joe average which is why Pio went out of the TV business.

Some people seem overly obsessed with the blacks on tv's. I suspect 3/4 of the people asking the JB rep 'are the black levels good' wouldn't even know what it means

Same thing happens with high end audio and speakers, people spend more time listening to the reproduction / the speakers themselves than actually enjoying whats playing

Even in “torch mode” Plasmas don’t stand up well in a typical showroom compared to LCD, and super bright LED LCD’s attract customers like moths. Discerning buyers know that such high levels of light output are not needed and are detrimental in most domestic environments but most people are not discerning about TV picture quality bright, colourful and slim rules for Joe average.

Edited by Owen

but most people are not discerning about TV picture quality bright, colourful and slim rules for Joe average.

+1

The emphasis is on slim panels soon to be taken over by next fad 3d TV. If I could have 10cents for every person who is drawn to the 2cm deep TV I would be a very rich man

The masses couldn't give a rat's toss bag about black levels and screen filters. And this is who manufacturer's cater for.

Pioneer made an attempt at it and we all know what happened to their TV division.

Edited by CC Rider

Some pricing on the first of the new models to be released (as listed at Whirlpool);

Full HD / 3D / DLNA / NeoPDP / THX

THP50VT20 – RRP $3299

Full HD / 600Hz / DLNA / NeoPDP

THP54V20 – RRP $2999

THP50V20 – RRP $2499

THP42V20 – RRP $1999

Full HD / 600Hz

THP50U20 – RRP $1799

THP46U20 – RRP $1599

THP42U20 – RRP $1199

Andys.

Got an email from Panasonic. They are doing a webcast on the 21st April 7:15pm about their 2010 lineup

http://www.anewvisualera.com/

Yeah I got this email too. I think it's funny because we already know everything about their 2010 models and all their wonderful flaws :)