2010 Panasonic Tv Lineup

How much clearance is on top and is the back of the alcove open?

The worst thing would be if it is a box with only the front side open. If there is enough clearance on top and free air flow from front to back it should be ok.

Maybe have a look at where the vents on the TV are in the shop and see how hot they get when it is on.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies.

If the VT20 has cooling fans I wouldn't think it'd be an issue.

The rear of the panels don't seem to get too warm. Most of the heat output is off the screen.

It's just the TH-P54V20A I am going for. The 54" VT20 isn't out until September but 3D doesn't interest me.

I'll be going back to the store tomorrow to check.

How much clearance is on top and is the back of the alcove open?

The worst thing would be if it is a box with only the front side open. If there is enough clearance on top and free air flow from front to back it should be ok.

Maybe have a look at where the vents on the TV are in the shop and see how hot they get when it is on.

At the moment with my 50" Fujitsu there is 10cm on all sides.

The Alcove is enclosed at the rear but heat has never been an issue even here in Queensland. My HT room is downstairs and partially submerged in the ground and is typically 2-4C cooler than the rest of the house.

If I put the TH-P54V20A in the clearance will drop to ~5cm on all sides. I'm considering giving it a go. Worst case scenario is that I may have to some DIY cutting to extend my Alcove but I think I'll be fine.

I'll head back to the store tomorrow to check out the location of the vents, whether there are fans and the head output.

I'm happy with the price - 20% off RRP for a newly release TV is pretty good. If I buy before 11 July I can get a "free" ($45 shipping) BT230 Blu-Ray HT system (RRP $699) plus another copy of Avatar on BD.

Thanks again for the replies.

BTW Here (13MB PDF) is the link to download the 2010 Brochure from Panasonic NZ. It's not available on the Oz site yet.

Some key points for the Plasmas: -

THX® Certified Display is only available on the VT series (3D)

24p Smooth Film is only on the Z, VT and V series

ISF calibration is only the VT, and V Series

Went back and they had wall mounted the TH-P54V20A (it was pedestal mounted yesterday). A bit hard to look at the back but the heat output was certainly not high.

Anyway took the plunge.

$2825 including extended warranty (total 5 years) + Xbox 360 (will be used for MCE). Will redeem the "free" BT230 once the TV is delivered.

Delivery on Monday.

Thanks for the replies.

It's just the TH-P54V20A I am going for. The 54" VT20 isn't out until September but 3D doesn't interest me.

I'll be going back to the store tomorrow to check.

At the moment with my 50" Fujitsu there is 10cm on all sides.

The Alcove is enclosed at the rear but heat has never been an issue even here in Queensland. My HT room is downstairs and partially submerged in the ground and is typically 2-4C cooler than the rest of the house.

If I put the TH-P54V20A in the clearance will drop to ~5cm on all sides. I'm considering giving it a go. Worst case scenario is that I may have to some DIY cutting to extend my Alcove but I think I'll be fine.

I'll head back to the store tomorrow to check out the location of the vents, whether there are fans and the head output.

I'm happy with the price - 20% off RRP for a newly release TV is pretty good. If I buy before 11 July I can get a "free" ($45 shipping) BT230 Blu-Ray HT system (RRP $699) plus another copy of Avatar on BD.

Thanks again for the replies.

BTW Here (13MB PDF) is the link to download the 2010 Brochure from Panasonic NZ. It's not available on the Oz site yet.

Some key points for the Plasmas: -

THX® Certified Display is only available on the VT series (3D)

24p Smooth Film is only on the Z, VT and V series

ISF calibration is only the VT, and V Series

Where are the 58 inch plasmas?

Went back and they had wall mounted the TH-P54V20A (it was pedestal mounted yesterday). A bit hard to look at the back but the heat output was certainly not high.

Anyway took the plunge.

$2825 including extended warranty (total 5 years) + Xbox 360 (will be used for MCE). Will redeem the "free" BT230 once the TV is delivered.

Delivery on Monday.

I bought one today aswell, with almost the exact same deal! I've been waiting since last year tho.. lol. Paid $2979 but also got delivery outside metro area and a hdmi cable in that price (with 5yr + xbox + pana redemption, pretty sweet i reckon). HN xbox + pana bonuses end this sunday i think if anyone's wondering.

I should mention that Owen was right, the stuttering issue i posted about earlier was caused by the source player + splitter not outputting in 24p mode, i had the salesman hook up a standalone bluray player and it still looked farked, but the TV was saying '1080p/60hz' when switched over to it, then we found a menu setting on the bluray player for 24p mode and the TV piped up a '1080p/24Hz' message and then it looked fine, no more stuttering during the credits etc. That all took some time + messing about with different discs etc, i think he was pretty relieved i actually bought it after all that, lol.

Then got a gay unmarked 50 zone fine on the way home which made all the wheeling and dealing seem kinda pointless and took all the fun out of the day :|

Can't believe all the stores i viewed this set in had them running at 60hz and looking like sh*t.. !

Then got a gay unmarked 50 zone fine on the way home which made all the wheeling and dealing seem kinda pointless and took all the fun out of the day :|

Just couldn't wait to get it home and set it up hey? :ninja:

I should mention that Owen was right, the stuttering issue i posted about earlier was caused by the source player + splitter not outputting in 24p mode, i had the salesman hook up a standalone bluray player and it still looked farked, but the TV was saying '1080p/60hz' when switched over to it, then we found a menu setting on the bluray player for 24p mode and the TV piped up a '1080p/24Hz' message and then it looked fine, no more stuttering during the credits etc. That all took some time + messing about with different discs etc, i think he was pretty relieved i actually bought it after all that, lol.

Can't believe all the stores i viewed this set in had them running at 60hz and looking like sh*t.. !

You think the fine is bad, wait until you get my consultancy bill. :D

Pleased to say that my new TH-P54V20A has installed into my alcove with no issues.

After running for a couple of hours - virtually no heat, and silent. Significant improvement on the older Fujitsu design. Also significantly lighter too.

See this post for more of my feedback and some links to pictures.

Very happy with the upgrade.

Review of VT25 from Home Theatre Mag

This quote certainly looks promising

When it comes to black level and contrast, the Pioneer remains the champ—though by surprisingly little. When I measured it after about 150 hours of use, the Panasonic TC-P50VT25 produced the best black level we’ve yet seen or measured on a non-KURO plasma. At 0.004 foot-lamberts in 2D mode, it’s half the level we measured last month on Panasonic’s 2D TC-P50G20 (0.008 ft-L). On its 2D sets, Panasonic calls its current black level technology Infinite Black, and Infinite Black Pro for its 3D models. If our sample is representative, the Pro designation isn’t just added hyperbo

But this seems a definite step backwards. You need individual control for each input IMO, not each mode!

It has five Picture modes: Vivid, Standard, THX (2D only, called Cinema in 3D), Game, and Custom. While each of these modes is individually user adjustable, the settings for each mode are global, and you can’t adjust them separately for each input
Edited by diesel

Full HD, i sit around 6.5ft from the tv and im on a tight budget (around $1,300)

Well I would consider stretching your budget and getting a 50 inch TV.

Otherwise 'Full HD' is wasted at that viewing distance.

I think they dropped RRP after their bundle deal ran out. It's SOP for Panasonic TV launch. They've done it the last few years that I know of without fail...launch new TVs and within about 6-8 weeks they reduce RRP.

Just curious what would happen this xmas...wait and see...

I doubt you will see another RRP drop for the 50/54 inch Panasonics but retailers will keep lowering prices over time.

What you will most likely see before Xmas is a RRP drop for the 58/65 inch Panasonics that are due to be released in September.

I doubt you will see another RRP drop for the 50/54 inch Panasonics but retailers will keep lowering prices over time.

What you will most likely see before Xmas is a RRP drop for the 58/65 inch Panasonics that are due to be released in September.

Yeah, probly panny won't drop the rrp again but maybe they'll hold another bundle deal...who knows...

well, retailer will do whatever they can to sell more...here's no doubt...

looks like from now good deal can be done at anytime...curious to see if there's another budle deal... :-)

Yeah, probly panny won't drop the rrp again but maybe they'll hold another bundle deal...who knows...

well, retailer will do whatever they can to sell more...here's no doubt...

looks like from now good deal can be done at anytime...curious to see if there's another budle deal... :-)

Rumour is a bundle including Avatar BD-3D & BD-3D Player with the upcoming larger 3D models. Nothing factual yet though.

Andys.