2010 Panasonic Tv Lineup

Correct the V20 is not 3D, it's a refresh of the V10 as far as i know. My expectations are that it will offer the best 2D viewing for the price.. but obviously i want to see one to confirm that!

Hopefully i can get a local store to match those digitalcentre prices to some degree, $2500 for the 54V20 is looking pretty good to me.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in hope as you do Owen, but Panasonic's track record so far has not been promising and without Pioneer pushing the plasma frontier, it seems gimmicks like networking and 3D are more the features they are chasing.

Unfortunately I think my next TV will be a Samsung. I just can't justify the prices Panasonic want when Samsung have such a compelling product!

I might be with you there Mick. I am a panasonic fan and have a PZ700 50 inch. I am keeping it but the replacement for my other CRT Pana may well be a 63 in 8000 series Samsung. I will wait towards the end of the year to see what pans out.

It was next to a 50G10 and was showing some netball and a team had black in there vests. I could only just notice a slightly better black on the V20.

That’s a silly comparison, the old way you will see a difference in real black level is with an all dark scene in a dark room. Even then the V20 does not have deeper blacks than a V10.

All you were seeing is a difference in set up.

Doing a comparison without as least a basic calibration on both sets is pointless.

From an article in SmartHouse on 3D TV shortages

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large.../3D_TV/E6N2G2M9

Steve Rust the Managing Director of Panasonic Australia said that he had no plans to airfreight stock to meet demand. "For us to get stock and get into stores to meet the demand we would have had to put in orders to the factory 6 months ago. Other vendors are going to be in the same position. We intend to launch the last week of June".

It just sounds like retailers want to hike up the prices. While stock is low and there's reasonably strong demand across May and June some may be paying more than they should.

Andys.

Hopefully Samsung and the other manufacturers won't give in to the retailer pressure and will continue with very competitively priced products.

Info on the upcoming Panasonic promo (running from 22 May and 11 July) : http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large...dustry/R9H2A4N9

To receive Bonus Gift #1 valued at $728.95 RRP (Panasonic Blu-ray Home Theatre SC-BT230 and Avatar Blu-ray Disc), the eligible Panasonic VIERA Plasma models are:

•TH-P65V10A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $6,699

•TH-P58V10A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $4,599

•TH-P50V10A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $3,099

•TH-P54Z1A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $5,999

•TH-P54V20A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $2,999

•TH-P50V20A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $2,499

•TH-P42V20A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $1,999

To receive Bonus Gift #2 valued at $328.95 RRP (Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMP-BD65 and Avatar Blu-ray Disc) the eligible Panasonic VIERA Plasma models are:

•TH-P50U20A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $1,799

•TH-P46U20A Full-HD Digital Plasma TV $1,599

To redeem their Bonus Gift Pack, customers must complete and submit the promotion redemption form available from the point of purchase or from Panasonic's website: www.panasonic.com.au/avatarhd, which will be live from 22 May, 2010.

I wonder why the VT20 is not included in this promotion? It's available in June and the promo runs through to July 11th. Maybe there'll be a separate promo for the 3D tv's???

Andys.

Probably will be a separate 3D promo, and also the MD of Panasonic Australia said they'd be launching their 3D offering in the last week of June which is only just within the promo period, and we all know how often launch dates slip.

I'm sure they want to bundle a 3D version of Avatar with their 3D TVs to make the most of their exclusivity movie deal

I don't think there's a definite release date for the 3D version of Avatar yet.

Last I heard it was penciled in for 2011.

I think there's a multi-disc version of the Blu-ray due in November 2010, but this will be 2D.

Edited by purpleninja

I took a look at the new V20 today, i think it was a 42, could have been 46 can't remember exactly.. but definitely 4x. Anyway, there was a 50V10 above and just to the left of it. So directly comparing the two, i have to say the picture on the V10 looked more appealing to me. It seemed to have deeper black / better contrast and richer colour. I flicked through the picture modes on both models so they were both set on normal with the same standard brightness / contrast settings.. and i just couldn't dissuade myself from thinking the V10 had a richer picture :huh:

They were playing the same source, a pink concert which had a well lit stage surrounded by blackness, so it probably wasn't a bad selection for the comparison of traits i was looking for. The section of the store had dimmed lighting aswell so it was comparable to a living room situation in some respects.

One thing the V20 had going for it however, was the screen had no visible reflections, whereas the V10 had stacks of reflections - but the V10 was mounted higher up where it was catching the store lights from the other area's of the store, so it wasn't a totally fair situation in which to compare them on reflections. I would say the new screen filter in the V20 is probably doing its job though, but it still didn't look like the clear winner to me overall.

It's a bit annoying because i was pretty much set on buying a 54V20 in a few weeks when they appear, but today left me wondering if that was really going to be the best 2D choice after all. I'm sure i read writeups on some panasonic launch event where they had the V10 / V20 side by side showing a better picture on the V20 which is what i was expecting, i'm just confused now.

I took a look at the new V20 today, i think it was a 42, could have been 46 can't remember exactly.. but definitely 4x. Anyway, there was a 50V10 above and just to the left of it. So directly comparing the two, i have to say the picture on the V10 looked more appealing to me. It seemed to have deeper black / better contrast and richer colour. I flicked through the picture modes on both models so they were both set on normal with the same standard brightness / contrast settings.. and i just couldn't dissuade myself from thinking the V10 had a richer picture :huh:

Using the same settings on completely different TV’s is pointless; the “correct” settings for each display could be very different.

Screen filters help the screen look blacker when under ambient light, they do nothing to combat surface reflections.

Anti reflective screen coatings combat surface reflections but do nothing to improve blacks, in fact anti reflective coatings noticeable degrade apparent blacks under ambient lighting as they diffuse light which results in a haze over the picture.

• 1 month later...

It will be the flagship when it arrives in Sept/Oct. The VT25 is the flagship in the US.

Not sure awhat the difference is.

They claimed at CES2010 that the new models were 40% more energy efficient thanks to a smaller power supply and some panel improvements, so I'd be expecting 280-350w. Last years top of the line was the 65VX100 and according to this chart used 575w out of the box and 415w after calibration

It will be the flagship when it arrives in Sept/Oct. The VT25 is the flagship in the US.

Not sure awhat the difference is.

They claimed at CES2010 that the new models were 40% more energy efficient thanks to a smaller power supply and some panel improvements, so I'd be expecting 280-350w. Last years top of the line was the 65VX100 and according to this chart used 575w out of the box and 415w after calibration

If thats true mate, then it will use a lot less then the Samsung PS63C7000 which uses 500w

$3299 is the full RRP though - hopefully theres lots of room for price movement.

Nope, he told me there is no huge mark up, he only had $150 to move with. So i rang around Jb, Hn, and a few others and they all quoted around 3100-3180.

Crazy, considering samsung gives heaps off as a discount at the stores.