2010 Panasonic Tv Lineup

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article - Will 3D without glasses ever be anything more than a headache?

By far the biggest crowds at CES this year were drawn by the manufacturers' 3D displays. Some were absolutely worthy of the attention. The Sony OLED demo impressed us, for example, and we thought the Panasonic 3D system was about as good as any we've seen so far. The glasses are still problematic though -- wearing silly specs at the cinema is one thing, but at home?

I ordered my 65"Panny 1st week December 09 from Myer, was told 2 weeks ago mine would arrive around mid Jan, all this 2nd batch are sold, 3rd batch due March April most sold, not many huge discounts on now due to this massive demand.

It appears that there is a world wide "back order" for the 65 and 58 Pana's. I was on avsforums last night and comments on the availability and predicted

delivery date on the 65 and 58 is March to April 2010.

Starting to think given US will always get priority over Aus May-June is more than likely a more realistic date. Maybe those waiting that long will get the 3d

version instead to compensate them for the long wait.

Starting to think given US will always get priority over Aus May-June is more than likely a more realistic date. Maybe those waiting that long will get the 3d

version instead to compensate them for the long wait.

Seems Panasonic has been caught out with the desire of folks to upgrade to a 65" screen at a reasonable price, and the relatively quick turn around of the GFC.

I just hope that Pana Aust get more stock because they were one of the few Pana regions to make money last year and HQ recognises this...

Like I said, the 65" Panas usually appear around October in Australia, so no chance of a new 3D enabled 65" around May/June

A mate of mine talked me into seeing it last weekend, and I'm so glad he did. That Pandora '3D world' was freakin' awesome! And I actually read the above comments about the blur before I saw the film, so I was kinda subconciously looking for these shots whilst simultaneously trying to put it out of my mind. :wacko: I agree with you that they shouldn't have done it that way, but luckily it was used sparingly through the film and only bothered me a couple of times.

Edited by madmax

Usually the more popular 42", 50" models (eg G, S X series) come first, around late April/early May, and then the V series and then the bigger screens (58", 65") around August-October

I'm the market for the current 50" v10, but don't require it for another 5-6 weeks.

I just trying to decide if I should order it this week to take advantage of the current Wii deal or to hold off for a little to see if there are any price drops/new deals or new models coming sooner.

I'm not to fussed about getting a Wii as I can't see my self using it. I already have an xbox360 which I only use for forza 3.

chris

I probably shouldnt comment upon this without "revisiting" the film, but as that isnt going to happen any time soon.....

My recollection is that "blur" was primarily evident dependant upon where you were physically focussing your eye, in other words you could bring parts of the picture into focus in much the same way that you would - in real life - change focus for close or distant objects? As I say, I am saying this from memory, and even then I wasnt 'testing' this scenario, but just left with the impression that this was the case? Is this definately not the case?

This is not possible. This is "simulated" 3D not a real 3D world. Though parts of the image APPEAR at different distances the entire image is at the same distance so as long as you are focussing on a part of the image it will all be in focus. Any blurring is part either introduced to the image in post processing or is simply due to depth of field based on camera settings at the time of acquisition.

• 3 weeks later...
The 65" Panasonic models usually arrive around October or November (after the volume selling models), so you'll be waiting longer than a few months Brad ;)

Thanks Mick,

Easy for me to wait ATT as I don,t have the money, gives me time to save up. cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick view of the new Skype integration with the 2010 TVs.

Seems it's a good idea that the camera does all the video processing

...and first view of a 3D set in Australia here

This sounds promising

The thing that most excited us about the 3D plasma was the 2D picture quality. The integration of Pioneer engineers into Panasonic's ranks is now apparent. The television features a Kuro-like design which does without the outer glass layer meaning no inner reflections. The TV features a new "cell structure" but Panasonic was unable to quote the contrast ratio improvement until the TV's formal announcement in April.
Edited by diesel

xylenefree - you raise the point i am most concerned about. The potential lack of 96Hz true 24p on anything but the 3D models. I'm not interested in 3D at this stage, and i certainly won't be paying extra for it. It seems though that Panasonic are not offering a "V" model with proper 24p, without the 3D rubbish. Frustrating to say the least.

I can't believe they aren't improving the judder issue on the high end G series, or atleast offering a V model without 3D.

I spose the bonus offers will dry up just as the new models come online too, is that what's happened in the past? Or might they try and launch with a bang with a new bonus..

Keen to see what our prices will be here anyway, impossible to decide on 2010 / 2009 model until this is known.. I've seen some US prices that look good but i presume it's worthless translating them to AUS$ at this stage.

I spose the bonus offers will dry up just as the new models come online too, is that what's happened in the past? Or might they try and launch with a bang with a new bonus..
No launch with a bang in the past - quite the opposite, they launch with relatively high pricing and then drop RRP after about 3 months
I've seen some US prices that look good but i presume it's worthless translating them to AUS$ at this stage.
Forget trying to do a straight comparison. We pay substantially more

xylenefree - you raise the point i am most concerned about. The potential lack of 96Hz true 24p on anything but the 3D models. I'm not interested in 3D at this stage, and i certainly won't be paying extra for it. It seems though that Panasonic are not offering a "V" model with proper 24p, without the 3D rubbish. Frustrating to say the least.

My thoughts exactly. I want proper 24p but without the 3D premium.

Yeah i've seen a few about in stores recently, the ticketed prices were still up in the realms of almost RRP tho. Not as much competition here as other states i guess. (SA)

Can anyone with a V series comment on the 24p 96Hz feature, do you use it.. is it worth it? does it eliminate bluray judder or just slightly improve it? is there any drawback to the other picture settings when it is enabled? (can you still use THX mode etc)

I read one review saying they preferred it switched off :| It is the main reason i want to go for the V which costs a few hundred more so i want to be sure the 24p feature is actually worth paying the extra for..

Yeah i've seen a few about in stores recently, the ticketed prices were still up in the realms of almost RRP tho. Not as much competition here as other states i guess. (SA)

Can anyone with a V series comment on the 24p 96Hz feature, do you use it.. is it worth it? does it eliminate bluray judder or just slightly improve it? is there any drawback to the other picture settings when it is enabled? (can you still use THX mode etc)

I read one review saying they preferred it switched off :| It is the main reason i want to go for the V which costs a few hundred more so i want to be sure the 24p feature is actually worth paying the extra for..

Do you mean the 24p/96 feature which is automatically enabled when viewing relevant content (eg. BDs) or the artificial enhancer Panasonic have in their V & Z-series panels called "24p smooth film"? Look here for the distinction between models & these two features http://www.hdbonus.com.au/hdbonus/Product.aspx

24p/96 makes BDs look like they should, motion-wise - exactly as they appear in the cinemas with that characteristic & minimalistic judder.

THX is a colour standard (& picture mode which sits along your typical "Normal", Dynamic", "Game" & "Cinema" picture modes) that is as close to cinema quality as you can get, out of the box. It can be tweaked though.

24p Smooth Film takes away ALL judder in BDs, but it just looks terrible. As if you're watching Days of our Lives - that instudio look which doesn't suite movies at all. As I mentioned, I only use this when watching a documentary like Planet Earth as it makes the wildlife "pop out" & appear more life-like.

Together, 24p/96 & THX provide the best picture for BDs out of the box.

THX can't be used together with 24p Smooth Film, so whenever I use 24p Smooth Film, I use it with a tweaked "Normal" picture mode.

When not watching BDs, 24p Smooth Film is replaced with Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC) in the menu, which performs a similar function when watching some free-to-air (FTA) programs. Again IFC can't be used with THX, so you'll need to change picture modes to either "Normal", "Cinema" or "Dynamic" to make use of it. I never use IFC.

Right, thanks for the detail. So essentially the 24p Smooth Film feature on the V series is useless.. ?

My confusion is coming from conflicting information. The panasonic info, including the link you provided, seems to indicate that the basic 24p playback feature is the same across the whole series. 96Hz.. whereas i was lead to believe that only the V series supported 96Hz 24p playback. I thought that was what the smooth film feature was.. The refresh rate of the screen changes to match a multiple of 24, (96) so that the number of inserted frames is even.

"Panasonic's V10 models feature so-called 24p Cinematic Playback. Update March 13: According to Panasonic, the V10 and Z1 models will refresh at 96Hz, which should eliminate the flicker in 24p mode that we complained about last year in our reviews of the PZ800U and PZ850U models. On the other hand, the G10 and G15 lines of plasmas will refresh at 48Hz, which was the cause of the flicker we saw last year. In any case, we're looking forward to seeing for ourselves."

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10137076-100.html

So it's still not clear to me whether you have to buy the V series to get smooth/flicker free bluray playback, or if the G series does it just as well.

Edited by osmodiar

I believe the G is "supposed to" support the 96hz 24p playback. As for smoothfilm being useless.. well I dont use it I must confess, BUT there are certainly those that do use the IFC features (which smoothfilm basically is, but for 24p sources only.

Be careful where you source your info, as overseas m odels with similar product codes have different functionality.

Best bet is to check out the models in store vieing the appropriatte sources (obviously Blu ray only for 24p).

Right, thanks for the detail. So essentially the 24p Smooth Film feature on the V series is useless.. ?

My confusion is coming from conflicting information. The panasonic info, including the link you provided, seems to indicate that the basic 24p playback feature is the same across the whole series. 96Hz.. whereas i was lead to believe that only the V series supported 96Hz 24p playback. I thought that was what the smooth film feature was.. The refresh rate of the screen changes to match a multiple of 24, (96) so that the number of inserted frames is even.

"Panasonic's V10 models feature so-called 24p Cinematic Playback. Update March 13: According to Panasonic, the V10 and Z1 models will refresh at 96Hz, which should eliminate the flicker in 24p mode that we complained about last year in our reviews of the PZ800U and PZ850U models. On the other hand, the G10 and G15 lines of plasmas will refresh at 48Hz, which was the cause of the flicker we saw last year. In any case, we're looking forward to seeing for ourselves."

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10137076-100.html

So it's still not clear to me whether you have to buy the V series to get smooth/flicker free bluray playback, or if the G series does it just as well.

Maybe try the 50V thread, where owners (of which there are many here) can confirm or deny whether the G can do what you want.

Just found this http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Prod...7090/index.html

Although still not that clear, it seems to state that "24p playback" (which is available across the board) does work at 96Hz. But then it says "However, the issues start when we want to view them on our home TVs" before stating the need for 24p Smooth Film, which doesn't make sense, as 24p playback is already doing what "the director intended".

Whatever they mean, for me 24p Smooth Film is a gimmick which results in a blatantly inferior picture for 99% of movies.