Sign in to follow this  
Cralis

Samsung Lcd Going Bad?

Hi guys,

I got my Samsung LA46F81 around May 2008, and it's been OK. I had to have a large part replaced about 6 months later, but other than that, it's been OK. However, 2 weeks back, it stopped remembering the time/date. It would start up with 'No Time Information'. Can live with that, but the last 3 or 4 days, it fails to switch on properly. We switch it on with the remote, and it clicks a few times, beeps, and all the button lights light up, but it never actually comes alive. It just keeps clicking as if it's starting, but never starts. Press the power button again, and it switches on.

Now, it seems the TV only has a 1 year warranty. Is that right? If so, any idea what I can do to resolve this?

Hi guys,

I got my Samsung LA46F81 around May 2008, and it's been OK. I had to have a large part replaced about 6 months later, but other than that, it's been OK. However, 2 weeks back, it stopped remembering the time/date. It would start up with 'No Time Information'. Can live with that, but the last 3 or 4 days, it fails to switch on properly. We switch it on with the remote, and it clicks a few times, beeps, and all the button lights light up, but it never actually comes alive. It just keeps clicking as if it's starting, but never starts. Press the power button again, and it switches on.

Now, it seems the TV only has a 1 year warranty. Is that right? If so, any idea what I can do to resolve this?

Call Samsung and perhaps they can give you some advice. It sounds like a failing power supply that'll just get worse until it gives up entirely but Samsung might be able to shed more light on it.

Hi guys,

The F81 has a 3 year warranty,and welcome to the wonderful world of Samsung quality control.

Could it be another power supply problem.(that does not exist)

As much as i like the look of the Sammy's, the talk of power supply problems and their lack of customer support scares me away from Samsung. I have a Samsung DSLR and it literally took me 6 months to get a faulty lens replaced under warranty. The mucking around for myself and Ted's Camera's that Samsung put us through was unbelievable. In the end, Teds felt sorry for me and gave me a new lens and said they would deal with Samsung and try and get a replacement lens. I don't know if they ever did get that lens.

Sorry to hear about your tv, Cralis. I really hope their customer support has improved and you have no problems getting your tv repaired or replaced. Let us know how you go.

Edited by poppy

Lets be honest guys. With the massive amount of Sammy panels out there im sure the number of issues compared to happy customers is quite small. Ive got 2 Sammy panels in my house and both work fine with no issues. As alwasy there will be people who have problems with their screens and may or may not have problems with warranty support. But im sure plenty of people have also had perfect satisfactory results with warranty. No manufaturer has a perfect track record.

And finally as always remember your statutory rights. Just because a panel might only give 12 months warranty, its acceptible to expect that it will last longer than 12 months, particuarly if you paid a large sum of money for it. If you dont get anywhere with the manufacturer follow it up with Consumer affairs as you do have rights.

Ok, a service repair chap is coming by on Wednesday to do a warranty repair. :) Samsung got me to call my nearest fixing people. My initial call, I was told to do some menu things, but that never worked. So, looks like it will be fixed. :) Will post what happens.

This sounds like the bad capacitor problem for which Samsung TVs seem to be getting a negative reputation. Multiple relay clicks on startup are the giveaway.

If you are any good with a soldering iron, it is usually fixed very easily and cheaply. See these two videos on UTube on how to go about it.

See:-

Jaycar may have suitable replacement capacitors.

Sounds very much like the power supply issue as Roderick mentioned. The Samsungs are infamous for it.

You'd think by now they'd use some better quality capacitors, or switch to solid capacitors (if possible)

Guy came and opened up the TV. He's replacing the power supply and 'the main board'. Waiting for parts......

my f81 went to the service centre today. hopefully 1 week it should be back.

same problem, clicking clicking clicking, switches on after 10 mins.

3 years warranty and im done with 2.

my f81 went to the service centre today. hopefully 1 week it should be back.

same problem, clicking clicking clicking, switches on after 10 mins.

3 years warranty and im done with 2.

My F81 goes in Monday for the same problem that does not exist according to Samsung.I have a feeling that a lot of these models are going to be clicking there way into the repair shops.

Let us hope that Samsung has an adequate supply of power boards on hand,preferably not made in the same place that made the originals.

I will be glad when the warranty runs out,then I can fix it myself if it happens again.

Anyone remember the good old CRT days where sets used to live for 10-20 years,could it have been anything to do with Quality.

Feel for all those Sammy owners who have had there sets for around 18 months,it could happen anyday now.

HDrocks::Click go the shears boy Click Click Click:: :P

My F81 goes in Monday for the same problem that does not exist according to Samsung.I have a feeling that a lot of these models are going to be clicking there way into the repair shops.

Let us hope that Samsung has an adequate supply of power boards on hand,preferably not made in the same place that made the originals.

I will be glad when the warranty runs out,then I can fix it myself if it happens again.

Anyone remember the good old CRT days where sets used to live for 10-20 years,could it have been anything to do with Quality.

Feel for all those Sammy owners who have had there sets for around 18 months,it could happen anyday now.

HDrocks::Click go the shears boy Click Click Click:: :P

Well there work van went in for service on Monday so it was picked up at 10am,there service guy remarked that nearly every Sammy they get in has the same problem[not bad for a problem that does not exist].

Now it just gets better,get a call at 12 that it is fixed [they had spare power board] but would I like to pick it up as they might not be able to deliver it till next week because I live 24 kms from town.

They even offered to give me a hand to sit it on the back seat of the car [46" LCD].

What is the world coming to,is this the sort of service that we accept as normal these days,there was a time when no self respecting business would even contemplate such a request.

Just imagine if it broke on the way home,what a minefield that would be.

Well there work van went in for service on Monday so it was picked up at 10am,there service guy remarked that nearly every Sammy they get in has the same problem[not bad for a problem that does not exist].

Now it just gets better,get a call at 12 that it is fixed [they had spare power board] but would I like to pick it up as they might not be able to deliver it till next week because I live 24 kms from town.

They even offered to give me a hand to sit it on the back seat of the car [46" LCD].

What is the world coming to,is this the sort of service that we accept as normal these days,there was a time when no self respecting business would even contemplate such a request.

Just imagine if it broke on the way home,what a minefield that would be.

Maybe someone who works there was reading this because it was delivered this morning.

I suppose that is not bad,picked up wednesday delivered friday and all with a smile,if I need anything serviced I know who I will be taking it to.

So well done Samsung and well done to the service agent up here in Sunny Qld,all up a very Painless exercise.

So in these days of horror stories I say Thank you for a job well done.

HDrocks::on a rejuvinated F81:: :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm next my LA40R7 clicks up to 19 times before it turns on. I live in the inner west of Sydney, haven't checked where the service centre is but somehow I don't think I can fit it in my 40 year old MGB :mellow: I checked out a few site on how to repair it (background in electronic diagnosis and repair amongst other things) but I think I'm too wobbly these days to use a soldering iron on it. BTW it is 3 years and 3 months old just 3 months out of warranty. On an US site the guy there said the caps were 10volt units connected to a 12 volt rail - if that's true that's very naughty of Samsung. Otherwise I'm very happy with but I would like a F8 LED model .....

Edited by netmask

We've had our 46" F81 since early 2008 and we have been experiencing exactly the same clicking and slow start up as described for about a week or so now. And every day it seems it's taking that little bit longer to come on...

I'll be ringing Samsung tomorrow, I hope you're right about it being a 3 year warranty...

Right my 46F81 is now doing the "click" for the second time .I had the power board with the bad caps replaced 12 months ago and now on it`s way out again.

Still have 6 months warranty on it.

I feel sorry for the Yanks who only got 12 months warranty on their Sammys.