Akai Hd Stb With Usb Recording $109

Maybe comments about Version 2 belong in a new thread but here goes anyway.

- sound is a bit loud on HD, compared to the equivalent SD channel.

This is standard for pretty much every digital device I have used. IIRC, it's because SD channels transmit mpeg audio and HD channels use AC3 digital for sound. They are transmitted at different levels, hence the issue
Wishlist

* Pressing the front panel power button for 3-4 seconds should force the power off, just like a computer. Having to unplug whenever the software crashes is not cool.

have you tried pressing and holding it down for longer - eg 15secs? It might need a little longer to trigger the watchdog timer

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After waiting 4 months and endlessly debating on whether I should return this unit due to the irritating issues with the Timezone & DST, EPG, etc... I just updated the Firmware with the latest release and was pleasantly surprised that they've fixed pretty much everything and it's now a great PVR!!!:) So, if you have one of these, don't hesitate to update it, as it will finally be an amazing DVR for the price and I've got an Buffalo External 1 TB Hard Drive hooked up to it and can record heaps of hours of programming on it!!:)

How you have updated firmware? I cann't do this due remote control is not working after unsuccessful firmware update.

I've send message to support but no answer.

Please, help me! How to update firmware without remote?

Version 2

have you tried pressing and holding it down for longer - eg 15secs? It might need a little longer to trigger the watchdog timer

I hope that wasn't a practical joke 'cos if it was I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. :) So I deliberately crashed the firmware, pressed the power button and waited, waited... As far as my patience extends, the watchdog is as dead as a Monty Python parrot.

Other minor power issues:-

- Start-up time is about 17 seconds to the first picture. More frustrating is the first 6 seconds during which there is no sign of life at all - even the power LED doesn't change from red to green during that time.

- When first plugged in, or after a blackout, the unit switches on automatically. I think it should default to standby mode.

Overall, I still feel this Akai is a good buy. Coincidentally, the MTV SD box it's replacing has died exactly 14 months into its 12-month warranty. Hmmm.

- Start-up time is about 17 seconds to the first picture. More frustrating is the first 6 seconds during which there is no sign of life at all - even the power LED doesn't change from red to green during that time.

That's not too bad. Remember these devices are like mini computers so they take time to start up run their self checks etc. 17 secs is a bit long, but have you tried a Bluray player...<45secs is a very fast machine.

- When first plugged in, or after a blackout, the unit switches on automatically. I think it should default to standby mode.

IMO this is a good feature. If a blackout is for an extended period of time, once the PVR turns itself back on, it would automatically download the time from the braodcast info, so it could be ready for any timers and fire them at the correct time.

GRRRRRR.

Everything was going great with this unit after updating the firmware.......until last week.

Hadn't used it for a couple of days (was working great) but now when I turn it on all I get is a black screen, it doesn't even get to the AKAI splash screen.. All the lights go green with the 'numbers' just being dashes. Anyone else experienced this? Ringing support this afternoon, hoping they can do something as the unit is less than 12 months old. Hope I can find the reciept too....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have posted a couple of msgs here b4, and I am one of the owners and happy with the unit only after the Firmware has been updated, at least it's pretty good at that price.

Just wondering, I have found a AD185X (while I guess many of us are having an AD181X) on the net that looks exactly the same as the older model, has anyone got one of the new model? or knows the differences between the two?

As I am considering to get another one of those, but wanna know a bit more first. ;)

Tks.

Just wondering, I have found a AD185X (while I guess many of us are having an AD181X) on the net that looks exactly the same as the older model, has anyone got one of the new model? or knows the differences between the two?
Interesting, and at the same time, the model I bought (AD181X V2) has disappeared from the face of the planet. I strongly suspect that the AD185X is identical to the V2 which I mentioned above, i.e. the V2 was probably an aberration which should have been the AD185X from day one.

I detailed the differences earlier:-

Front panel LEDs

AD181X: green

AD181X V2: red

AD185X: ?

S/PDIF coaxial (digital audio) output

AD181X: yes

AD181X V2: no

NTFS support

AD181X: no

AD181X V2: yes

Hardware Version

AD181X: ?

AD181X V2: 5007.2838.1

Software Version

AD181X: 1.3?

AD181X V2: AD181X - V2A.V0

I'll fill in the blanks if anyone posts back with the missing info.

Cheers.

PS: IP.Board test

[table=Feature Comparison]

[tr][th]Model[/th][th]AD181X[/th][th]AD181X V2[/th][th]AD185X[/th][/tr]

[tr][td]Front panel LEDs:[/td][td]green[/td][td]red[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]

[/table]

• 2 weeks later...

I have AD185X. Let me check some information about this:

Front panel LEDs : Green

S/PDIF coaxial (digital audio) output : No independent coaxial outputs, but it supports HDMI.

NTFS support : I think YES, but not sure..

Hardware Version : 5007.2838.1 (Oh it's identical to 181X V2!)

Software Version : AD185X.V2

* My short opinion

- The overall quality is fine.

- It playbacks many of AVI video but some of my files don't work with it. I think it depends on the A/V codec.

- The speed of reaction occurred by pressing buttons in the remote is slightly slow, especially in playing my video files.

- I cannot find any kinda information about this (and any kinda HD set-top boxes) in the AKAI Australia website including firmware updates so far.

- Recommendable for normal users because of its reasonable price. But, if you are picky for S/W supports like firmware updates, just wait or avoid.

* Bugs or disgusting things

- I use an NTSC TV. So I have undergone some kinda NTSC-PAL problems to set it up and finally it's fine now. However, the title screen which appears on its booting procedure jiggles around during boot. I think the title screen must be "AKAI" logo but I have not seen that screen correctly on my TV. After booting, it's fine to use. So I think the title screen is made only for PAL TVs. Definitely it's a bug. (How should I report this certain bug to the engineers in AKAI? I don't know how to.)

- Lack of postprocessing for low-quality videos.

- No resume for playing video files

- Whenever I change the channel, it shows channel information and EPG for a while which is disgusting. I'd like to turn this feature off, but I couldn't.

Interesting, and at the same time, the model I bought (AD181X V2) has disappeared from the face of the planet. I strongly suspect that the AD185X is identical to the V2 which I mentioned above, i.e. the V2 was probably an aberration which should have been the AD185X from day one.

I detailed the differences earlier:-

Front panel LEDs

NTFS support

Hardware Version

Software Version

I'll fill in the blanks if anyone posts back with the missing info.

Cheers.

PS: IP.Board test

[table=Feature Comparison]

[tr][th]Model[/th][th]AD181X[/th][th]AD181X V2[/th][th]AD185X[/th][/tr]

[tr][td]Front panel LEDs:[/td][td]green[/td][td]red[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Edited by ScottRhee

For some reason there's no option to edit my earlier post so once again from the top with additions thanks to ScottRhee:-

Front panel LEDs

AD185X: green

AD185X: no

NTFS support

AD185X: yes

Hardware Version

AD185X: 5007.2838.1

Software Version

AD185X: AD185X.V2

The hardware version supports my theory that AD181X V2 is equivalent to the new AD185X, notwithstanding the curious colour changes of the LEDs. I just hope that any firmware upgrades for the AD185X will work on the V2 as well. I wonder how many V2s have shipped.

- I cannot find any kinda information about this (and any kinda HD set-top boxes) in the AKAI Australia website including firmware updates so far.

(How should I report this certain bug to the engineers in AKAI? I don't know how to.)

You can try Audion's support page, or e-mail them at support@audion-mm.com

Cheers.

mmmm. My older AD181X version does not support NTFS. Not a biggy if all i want to do is replay avi files but if the new one supports mkv files you can easily play movies in higher blu-ray quality files (around 8+gb each_. FAT32 formatted drive can't even hold some of the larger files. Problem is my high tech friends only have mkvs and blu-ray quality files these days hence limiting what files I can playback on my tv.

Does anyone know if the upgraded version plays mkv?

Guest Michael L

Hi guys, anyone know if there's a shortcut for changing the aspect ratio back and forth? Going into the video menu everytime seems like a pain...

Does anyone know if the upgraded version plays mkv?

Yes, the V2 seems to handle .mkv fine.

Hi guys, anyone know if there's a shortcut for changing the aspect ratio back and forth? Going into the video menu everytime seems like a pain...
What's the bottom right button on your remote? :winky:

Guest Michael L
What's the bottom right button on your remote? :winky:

Can you be a little bit more specific? I can only see the V-Format button, but that doesn't seem to work. It shows the image all scrambled up.

Exchanged an AD163X with the in-built DVD player for one an AD181X and a cheap DVD player and change. Upgaded to 1.,3 firmware no problems.

Had problems connecting my 880GB Seagate 2.5" USB powered drive formatted FAT32. I kept getting 'USB drive full' whenever I tried to record. Finally worked this out.

I used the Seagate Disc Wizard to partition and format the drive. By default, Disc Wizard creates an extended partition and Logical parititions. This results in a small 7MB unallocated partition at the start of the disk and this seems to intefere with the AD181X recording. I suspect the unit is trying to record onto the 7MB partition, even though it is unallocated and reporting Full. Once I recreated the partitions as Primary partitions, everything started working.

You can have multiple FAT32 primary partitions and these are accessible for replay as volumes 00, 01 etc. I have now decided to setup my disk with a 200GB FAT32 partition for the AD181X, and the remaining 600GBish as an NTFS partition that I use to backup my PC's. The AD181X ignores the NTFS partition.

I have the problem with the EPG late at night with the first two entries dissapearing after 2 secs. Annoying, but I found I could record one of these shows if I pressed through the menus fast enough within the 2 seconds.

Can replay the .pvr files created by the AD181X on my PC directly with Windows Media Player.

Have been ble to play .avi files on this unit, but nothing else.

So far, I am happy, seems to be a good unit at the price. I am even starting to get used to the non-sensical remote button press sequence interface. It could not be more confusing if they tried.

Edited by swampwallaby

• 2 weeks later...

= FREEZING =

Still like this unit but it seems to freeze up every day.

The video (TV) just stops in a freeze frame...yet the sound continues unhindered.

It does this once or twice a day...sometimes more.

I changed the HD output to 576i/480i and this seems to have helped...

...but this negates the point of having a HD box!

Someone else I know has this unit too...and has a similar problem.

Hopefully the problem can be addressed in a future update?

Just curious to know if anyone else has noticed the same thing???

Guest Michael L
I changed the HD output to 576i/480i and this seems to have helped...

I haven't seen this option before. How do you do it?

As for your issue, sorry don't know the answer to your problem but it sounds like a reception issue?

I haven't seen this option before. How do you do it?

Hi Michael...yep, could be reception.

If no one else replies I guess I'll assume that's the problem.

The 'HD output' setting is in...

[ON REMOTE:] MENU/settings/video settings/HD output

(I have 4 settings/choices + AUTO which is probably best)

Also, there's some new channels if anyone hasn't rescanned for a while...

ABC News 24 - (kinda old now)

7 Mate - (coming soon but available now with duplicate 7HD programming)

3D Trial - (just bizarre :-)

Hi Michael...yep, could be reception.

If no one else replies I guess I'll assume that's the problem.

The 'HD output' setting is in...

[ON REMOTE:] MENU/settings/video settings/HD output

(I have 4 settings/choices + AUTO which is probably best)

Also, there's some new channels if anyone hasn't rescanned for a while...

ABC News 24 - (kinda old now)

7 Mate - (coming soon but available now with duplicate 7HD programming)

3D Trial - (just bizarre :-)

I'm pretty sure it's not reception.

I've got near perfect signal strength and quality, yet it's happening to me more or less every day.

It ALWAYS happens if I press 'Info' button straight after turning it on. Pictures freezes and sound goes on. The only way out is unplugging the unit.

So I got used to press some other buttons beforehand (like volume or pg change) to avoid this nuisance.

I reckon it got worse after I upgraded the firmware. I remember it happened before but it definitely wasn't that frequent.

So it sounds like some kind of software bug...

I'm pretty sure it's not reception.

I've got near perfect signal strength and quality, yet it's happening to me more or less every day.

It ALWAYS happens if I press 'Info' button straight after turning it on. Pictures freezes and sound goes on. The only way out is unplugging the unit.

Hey M dawg...yeah I tend to agree - software (worse after last update) - I get good reception too from a decent outside aerial in Adelaide metro area.

Haven't had a freeze for 2 days after changing the output to 576i - not really a solution but this could rule out reception as the cause?

Just so people know...there's a soft boot option (as opposed to physical unplugging) ...

If you press and hold in the unit POWER button (for several seconds) it should reboot.

@ candycanekaz

Read 'swampwallabys' post above???

I know this probably doesn't help much but in general, USB recording is great and twin tuner is handy :^)

Anything is better than VCR :^)

Hi Guys! I'm looking at buying the Akai AD 163x. Does it have all the same problems as the AD181 ect? I'm not sure if i should get a usb recorder or a twin tuner recorder. I am a beginner and am only now graduating from vcr. I dont want to go to dvd recording......... Please help!!!

I would recccomend the twin tuner option any day.

I have a B-W P2 and an old Digicrystal hooked up to the tele, and I find I am often using all 3 for recording, while watching something else.

Finding time to watch what I have recorded is a different matter though.

JB

I would recccomend the twin tuner option any day.

I have a B-W P2 and an old Digicrystal hooked up to the tele, and I find I am often using all 3 for recording, while watching something else.

Finding time to watch what I have recorded is a different matter though.

JB

Thanks!! I think your right. Now i have to figure out which one... -_-<_<

There seems to be yet another version out there? I haven't been able to locate a AD185X and the last AD181X in Kmart today had obviously been returned by someone so I wasn't game to get it! They did however have a bunch of AD187X boxes. Does anyone know anything about these? I was unable to find anything on searching.

Anyway, I figured I'd give it a go. It looks a little different to the AD181X but the box descriptions were almost exactly the same except that the Audio outputs supported included Coaxial

Front panel LEDs

AD185X: green

AD187X: orange

AD185X: no

AD187X: yes

NTFS support

AD185X: yes

AD187X: doesn't look like it

Hardware Version

AD185X: 5007.2838.1

AD187X: 8823.9013.5007

Software Version

AD185X: AD185X.V2

AD187X: 192353.100729

I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but so far so good. Happy to answer any questions if I can.