Akai Hd Stb With Usb Recording $109

Great info, thanks mimo. I reckon you might have set a record for longest time before first post too!

Can you be a little bit more specific? I can only see the V-Format button, but that doesn't seem to work. It shows the image all scrambled up.
Looks like they changed the remotes too.

AD181X remote

AD185X remote

L/R became TIMESHIFT

MEDIA became PVR

Frame-by-Frame became ASPECT

It's this last button I was referring to, the one next to V-FORMAT.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just attempted to upgrade my akai ad181x to firmware version 1.3. using the NEC_EMMA3SLHD.UPG update file.

Its stated the the update was complete then turned off. Since then, I have not been able to get it to turn back on. Just a standby light. Any ideas what to do next? Or have I stuffed it? I have tried holding down the power button, and cycling the power.

I've just ordered an Akai AD185X for use in my bedroom. I'm planning to connect it up to a computer LCD via a HDMI to DVI cable, and use some powered computer speakers for sound, connected to the audio output ports. Will I be able to get sound through the left/right connectors if I am using HDMI? I saw a post earlier in this thread that implied that it might not be possible.

I need to know if my planned setup will work asap, so I can cancel my order before it is shipped if necessary. Thanks!

I've just ordered an Akai AD185X for use in my bedroom. I'm planning to connect it up to a computer LCD via a HDMI to DVI cable, and use some powered computer speakers for sound, connected to the audio output ports. Will I be able to get sound through the left/right connectors if I am using HDMI? I saw a post earlier in this thread that implied that it might not be possible.

I need to know if my planned setup will work asap, so I can cancel my order before it is shipped if necessary. Thanks!

Yep, should work...both the audio and video output RCA's will work simultaneously with the HDMI.

Incidently, I have a similar setup...and frequently have the opportunity to compare a Benq 1080 LCD to an old CRT telly running side by side.

Gotta say the old CRT is much better for colour and crispness - but it could be the way it's setup...and ya gotta love widescreen.

============

@ HAYD

Sounds like you've bricked it matey ??? - return it to place of purchase for swap or refund - if under 12 months?

Hi

i was looking at Kmart for AD185x and they currently dont have that instock but they did have AD181 and AD187. Does anyone know whats AD187 is as i couldnt find anyting on google?

I wanted to be able to record to a external HDD, any recommendations as well for under $100

Guest shreddo

I just bought the ad187x from Kmart. I have used a Tevion HDD SD box until now. I also had the AD181x for a night but returned it for the AD187x - reason being the bug with programming late at night would be too hard for my girlfriend to deal with.

The remote control is much smaller on the AD187x than the AD181x...in fact it is the exact same remote as my Tevion!!! can operate either unit with either control although functions are mapped differently. The Tevion came from ALDI so this is cheap stuff.

The interface is probably better on the ad187x (although hope a firmware upgrade comes out just to tweak it) but the channel change is way slower compared to ad181x.

It runs my WD 250GB hard drive Fat 32 perfectly.

I miss the twin tuners of the Tevion but when I get a digital tv with its own tuner it won't be an issue. the 250gb hdd in the tevion never got full recording in sdef but the hd recording uses way to much hdd space.

thats my two cents...thanks to the forum for the advice in this thread.

Edited by shreddo

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased the Akai AD187X from Kmart yesterday.

I'm new to PVR's ( I was still using VHS) so followed alot of tips and advice from all those who posted on here...so thankyou!

I've just finished setting up and seems to be working fine.I had ALOT of trouble hooking up an external USB Harddrive but finally all working now.Alot of unhooking,powering off,re-connecting...but that's probably just me!

I'm using a WD Passport Elite 320GB.I found a really useful site (from a Y.Tube video) which formatted it to FAT32 really easily and super fast.

Recorded fine and impressed with picture quality playback.I haven't got as far as timer recording yet so can't comment.

For my needs it's great, as I refuse to pay lots of money for technology that seems to update so quickly(ie,DVD Recorders).

As I could find no Akai website with info about this PVR I relied on all the info posted here,so thankyou all...

hi. do you know if AD187X supports NTFS? previous post said maybe not but not sure if it has been confirmed.

Incidentally, does anyone know if Kmart will accept a return of the AD181x after 4 months use? I've been having problems with it lately but been generally happy until now and happy to replace.

People say they can view .mkv files with these boxes but I seem to be having problem. Will they only work through a digital tv, I''ve got mine hooked up to a CRT and thought maybe that is the problem (file size still under 4gb). Ive got a whole bunch of mkv files I want to play back.

thanks all for your valuable feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the akai AD187x from K-mart a few weeks ago and most functions work fine but I'm having trouble with playing AVI files via the usb port. Everything plays, I haven't had a file that wouldn't but half of the files I play have audio visual sync problems.

Playback of recorded TV works perfectly but playing my AVI files often results in the video slowing or freezing while the audio continues normally. This can last a few seconds or a minute or two before it goes back to normal, but will soon happen again. This is very frustrating because this is one the main reasons I got this unit. All the video files work perfectly on a PC.

Most of my files have XVID or DIVX codecs and I'm using a HP 80GB usb hard drive with a 32GB FAT32 partition. I also use a 1GB flash drive, same problem.

What is causing this? Is it the video files or the pvr unit? Would a firmware upgrade help?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I purchased the akai AD187x from K-mart a few weeks ago and most functions work fine but I'm having trouble with playing AVI files via the usb port. Everything plays, I haven't had a file that wouldn't but half of the files I play have audio visual sync problems.

Playback of recorded TV works perfectly but playing my AVI files often results in the video slowing or freezing while the audio continues normally. This can last a few seconds or a minute or two before it goes back to normal, but will soon happen again. This is very frustrating because this is one the main reasons I got this unit. All the video files work perfectly on a PC.

Most of my files have XVID or DIVX codecs and I'm using a HP 80GB usb hard drive with a 32GB FAT32 partition. I also use a 1GB flash drive, same problem.

What is causing this? Is it the video files or the pvr unit? Would a firmware upgrade help?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have had the same audio sync issues with the 187x but mainly with mpeg files. Avi seems ok. I have tried the same files by plugging the usb into other set top boxes with exactly the same results. Other STB's tried so far are, Rank Arena, DSE and Strong 5425.

Another issue is that the sound does not always 'show up' on a recorded file. Esp after editing channels (moving, deleting etc). A rescan seems to improve this..

• 2 months later...

hi.

lately my akai 181x box seems to have problems picking up all the abc stations and they continually break up (pixilate) during broadcasts. kinda of annoying. i'm running it through an crt with roof antenna and until now have had great reception across all channels. anyone else having similar problems?

thanks.

it's still under 12 month warranty so if it doesnt get better it is going abc to k-mart

• 1 month later...
My AD181x has been working fine for over a year. But now the remote has died. Is there any way to access the menu without the remote?

Are there other remotes available that will work with this box?

Try a Logitech Harmony remote. The 300 was on sail a couple of weeks ago for $23.. I have just checked up and it will support the Akai 181x STB.

Be carefull with most of the "Universal" remotes, I seem to have several cheap "Learning" ones which never worked as claimed. The Harmony will though.

JB

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
They do as they say, the quality is superb, heres my input on the whole machine....

1. the quality of recording is very very good, im using a 8gb microSD in a usb adapter.

2. the speed it changes channel is superb, i have several stb and this is on par with my best one.

3. has Teletext

4. on low signal breakup, the sound stays and the picture pixelates slightly, but this is the best way to have it, other stb i have had, can lose sound for 5-10 seconds before resync.

5 . the menus are a little intensive but after 10-15 minutes i had could use them easily enough.

6. PROBLEM with Rec is, the book says there are 2 ways to record, press rec button or use epg and set timer, REC button does not seem to work. I had to use epg every time.

7. the format of recordings is a PVR file, comes with an ini that looks like this.

pcrpid=2309,vidtype=0,vpid=2314, ttxpid=2316
audio number=1,cur num=0
audiopid[0]=2315,audtyp[0]=1
subtitle number=0
Recfile num=1

files look like this

20091119_12-25-57_ABC HDTV__00.PVR

8. Firmware updates can be done from a file on the USB device plugged into it. i would think there is a update coming soon for REC bug.

Hi, I am looking for Set top box that have a small letter/fonts of subtitles.. How the subtitles looks like in your opinion ?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these in New Zealand plugged it in and works fine. I connected a WD 500GB hard disk formated to NTFS and through about 50 home recorded movies in AVI on it with perfect results on playback.

Tried recording and again that works fine with good playback just using the record button at the time I see the program. I haven't as yet tried the record from the program guide option but with the other results I am pretty happy with this equipment.

I noticed in the manual that FAT 32 is not supported to any size so I never considered formating the large hard drive to that although if you just had a small flash drive this would be fine I suspect for recording a couple of short program's

I bought one of these in New Zealand plugged it in and works fine. I connected a WD 500GB hard disk formated to NTFS and through about 50 home recorded movies in AVI on it with perfect results on playback.

Tried recording and again that works fine with good playback just using the record button at the time I see the program. I haven't as yet tried the record from the program guide option but with the other results I am pretty happy with this equipment.

I am very interested in your experience of these boxes in NZ. I'm considering buying something like this in Aus and taking back for my Mum in NZ (anything freeview approved with PVR function is $500+ over there).

As this isn't a freeview branded product I guess it doesn't have access to the fancy Freeview EPG, so when you do bring up an EPG you just get now/next program information. Is that right?