advice required on Marantz receivers

Gidday everbody

I am new to the website and are looking to setup a home theatre/stereo system so looking to buy equipment. To be honest dont have much of an idea as to which equipment is bad and that is good.

So trying to get as much information as I can in terms of what to look for etc.

A friend of mine suggested that I look at the Marantz SR6004 HD Receiver.

Does anyone know much about them and if so what's your opinion or can recommend something else that might be cheaper but just as good.

I have checked out the price and they retail for around $2,229.00 in Australia but have noticed that I could pick up the same thing direct from the US for half the price given the exchange rate.

Has anyone purchased equipment directly from the US and if so can offer me any advice as to the webistes that I should be looking at etc.

Any suggestion's as to some good speakers and any other equipment that I would need would be appreciated.

I'd tend to buy locally where you can for units like this and buy internationally where there is some special benefit. I sourced my subs direct from the US (Rythmik kits) and intend to get an Emotiva surround processor direct from the US. It costs about $1k compared to $3.5k starting point for local products.

As Marantz is an international brand, you want to buy locally to ensure firstly you have a unit designed for Australia which will be reliable on 240V, and be covered properly with your warranty and not get into hot water if anything goes wrong. What if you have to ship it back to where you got it? Warranty and reliability are concerns you should consider.

My suggestion is to start by working out what features you want - which ones are essential, which are good to have. Then do your research and compare all the options. I'd look at units starting from about $1k as well.

I'd put Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, NAD and HK on the short list

One thing that is a minimum for me would be pre outs on all channels, as that allows an upgrade path by adding external power amps. Unless you find that you are limited in the future on the decoding side, you might consider adding power amps instead of upgrading the whole thing. It may also make sense to spend 1 - 1.5k on the receiver then a similar amount on the power amps. It's a similar amount to spend with better performance. Receivers that don't cut corners with the power amps are pricey. This is why I'm going for the Emotiva so I'm not spending money on amps that aren't really up to snuff. I also like blue lights!

Paul's on the money here.

Buy locally and use the RRP as a guide only (things are rarely sold at RRP).

Try your local Harvey Norman, Retravision and other stores that sell Marantz gear (check online or the Yellow Pages).

Somebody's bound to have a good deal on Marantz gear..........especially as it gets closer to 30th June 2010 :P

Good luck and let the folk of SNA know the outcome.

Russ.

If you are going to buy internationally, I hear buying from Singapore is a good way to go. Fairly significant savings and no issues with power conversion. There is a long thread over at dtvforums if you want to do a search there (I'm not sure if it is kosher to provide links here). The thread provides past experiences, prices that people have gotten, as well as shop names and contacts. I only purchased a lowly Denon 590 ($600-ish from Harvey Norman), so didn't have it imported from Singapore - wasn't worth it. It seems to only be worth it if you are going for mid to high-end gear.

Hope this helps.

Edited by benandfaith
typo

A friend of mine suggested that I look at the Marantz SR6004 HD Receiver.

Does anyone know much about them and if so what's your opinion or can recommend something else that might be cheaper but just as good.

I have checked out the price and they retail for around $2,229.00 in Australia but have noticed that I could pick up the same thing direct from the US for half the price given the exchange rate.

Hello Pamper

Welcome to the forum.

I think the Marantz is a good choice. You should be able to get it with a little haggling for around $1600. There is a 5004 model, with similar feature set, but slightly lower power, which retails for around $1500 and there is also the previous model 5003, just superceded, which is very similar except for a few Dolby Dyanamic EQ etc.. additions to the newer model 5004/6004 models.

At around $1500-2000 you should also look at the Pioneer and Yamaha receivers.

Best

JA

Hi Pamper

I do not own a Marantz 6004, but I was considering it as my new AVR. User opinions rated it's features and audio quality as outstanding for the price. However, I was turned off it by what has been reported as an unresolved fault by many owners (called POD or "pop of death"), which causes the unit to shut down unexpectedly and repeatedly.

There is a long running thread on the US AVS forum which you may wish to read and take it into consideration.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179621&page=5

The thread starter was very complementary of his new 6004 AVR until it died after 8 days, and replacement units exhibited other and similar bugs, until they too had PODs. The thread continues up to 40+ pages.

Personally, it did turn me away from the product. Pity as it did sound outstanding otherwise.

I then looked at Denon and Pioneer units, finally settling fora Pioneer. Not in the same class as the Marantz or Denon, but suitable for my needs.

David

Ye lots of issues with the 6004 - i know of 2 local Perth units in very high end HT setups that have both died and had issues. I too was considering one.... but not so sure now. I CAN tell you to stay clear of the Yamahas latest offerings..............

My current choice would be Denon or Pioneers new 72 / 82 or wait for onkyo's new *08 series to as they are 1.4 spec?!

Regards,

Matt

Edited by Mattrix

You may also consider the Cambridge 650R in that similar price range. I have its' predecessor and can vouch for its' abilities. I do know another SNAer who has had a bit of an issue with his, but mine has been faultless.

as has been suggested, if buying from OS look to singapore or HK rather than the US. things are ususally cheaper and you dont have the issues with voltage. as a rough guide you can expect to pay around half what you pay here for marantz products, from singapore.

re the 6004, i have also heard alot about the many issues, which would probably put me off personally. similarly the Cambridge Audio 650R has a few bugs that need to be ironed out and i wouldnt touch HDMI equipped NAD or HK's with a 10ft pole.

in AVR's id recommend the likes of Denon (huge savings when importing), Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony and Integra/Onkyo. they all have the latest key features, are good quality and dont have the issues of some of the other brands mentioned.

whats your price range?

G'day mate and welcome to SNA, i am with JA on this one and urge you to buy locally and set up a good relationship with your local retailers as you are fairly new to all of this.Who knows, you might need something else further down the track. I do agree with cody, you can get higher end gear cheaper overseas esp singapore, but dont forget its not worth it in regards to your price range. I am dealing overseas in singapore at the present, but i dont think you need to do this. I personally like Yamaha, Pio, Marantz and denon in your price range. Kind Regards Grassy

I have the Marantz SR6003. Since been replaced by the SR6004. I also have seen some forums from the UK warning that the SR6004 model has a high failure rate. Mine i brought early last year and not had any problem with it. Love the sound.

I'll post my thoughts, Im an avid fan of What Hi-Fi magazine which recommends the Denon AVR2310 over the Marantz SR6004 it is also cheaper I have seen it as cheap as $1600.

I just recently bought a Cambridge Audio 650R and though I am not using it to its full potential I can tell you for Audio it is marvelous.

I have also been recommended the Pioneer xxxLX52 which is around the same price as the Denon 2310 however apparently has better Musicality.

I would suggest like Paul you think about what is important to you feature wise (sound quality, video processing or extra connectivity), look at your budget then check online reviews, once you have shortlisted a few receivers go and find a retailer that can audition them using the same kit (TV, speakers etc)

It is a lengthy process, took me about 6months to pick my receiver but it is a worth while exercise and you know you will come out with the best amp for you.

I also see your in Coburg, go down and see the guys at Norlec in Gaffney St. Michael should be able to help you out with a good price and great service as well as knowledge. ;)

My rcommendation is for around the $2000 mark, I believes the Yahama RX-V3900 is the best value at the moment. RRP $2999 most stores are selling them $1990 plus a free i-pock dock. (I have seen a stock selling them at $1799) PM me if you want more details.

A far better build machine and heaps more power than the Marantz SR6004 or the Denon AVR 2310.

Edited by JAS

• 4 weeks later...