Sign in to follow this  
Typhoon

The Sony Bravia Z Series

Hi,

I have noticed quite a few people are going Sony lately given the latest promo's and prices.

There are also multiple threads depending on whether people went 32", 40", 46" or 52".

Thought we may as well consolidate.

I am still hunting around for some settings for this TV. I have found a couple on other forums, and I tried them, but I know we can get better, the picture is almost sensational, but not yet.

So if anyone has had a play and is really happy, please post.

I do have a question. When I press "Guide", for most stations I am getting "No Event Information". Anyone else getting this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Typhoon.

My misses purchased a 40Z5500 for $1795 yesterday, and I've got to say that *so far* I'm a little underwhelmed with it.

I made the mistake of letting her get it before I had a chance to take a look at it, and so far IMHO, the PQ has left a lot to be desired......especially on SD stuff.

She's been pushing to get a Sony Bravia for the bedroom since I got our 60" Kuro last year, and unfortunately I gave in and told her to get one when I saw the current prices/PS3 deal. :(

Hopefully somebody can post some settings in here that will improve things a little bit.

Edited by Iglesia

My misses purchased a 40Z5500 for $1795 yesterday, and I've got to say that *so far* I'm a little underwhelmed with it.

I made the mistake of letting her get it before I had a chance to take a look at it, and so far IMHO, the PQ has left a lot to be desired......especially on SD stuff.

She's been pushing to get a Sony Bravia for the bedroom since I got our 60" Kuro last year, and unfortunately I gave in and told her to get one when I saw the current prices/PS3 deal. :(

Hopefully somebody can post some settings in here that will improve things a little bit.

Agh - not what I want to hear as I'm buying this TV tomorrow. I've heard some great reviews, so hopefully it's just your settings. Will be interested to see what you find out.

Good luck!

If you are comparing it to your Kuro, then yes you probably will be slightly underwhelmed.

If you are comparing it to the rest of the LCD's out in the market you must have some settings wrong as IMO it produces one of the most natural looking pictures of any LCD I've seen to date.

If you are comparing it to your Kuro, then yes you probably will be slightly underwhelmed.

If you are comparing it to the rest of the LCD's out in the market you must have some settings wrong as IMO it produces one of the most natural looking pictures of any LCD I've seen to date.

Would you say as good or better than the series 6 samsung?

I am seriously considering this set but torn between it and the Samsung as I have always thought the Samsung has been more natural but never had a good chance to adjust the settings on it

Would you say as good or better than the series 6 samsung?

I am seriously considering this set but torn between it and the Samsung as I have always thought the Samsung has been more natural but never had a good chance to adjust the settings on it

I would have to say it is slightly better. From what I saw in the showroom, alot of the LCD's were too bright and 'in your face' and many (including the Sammy LED models) had faces look like clay and weren't really appealing. The Sony didn't do this, maybe that could be adjusted and was just due to the retailer having poorly calibrated TV's, I'm not sure.

The Samsung isn't a bad TV by any means, but I don't particularly like the red surround though.

If you don't like the picture quality of the Z series somehow I don't think LCDs are for you...

What do you think of all the displays when looking at them in shops? It really can be misleading with the amount of harsh light around.. So different when you get it back in a darker room..

I was thinking the exact same thing :) I haven't seen a Kuro, I wasn't in the market for a TV when they were out, but have read enough to know that they were the best TV's on the planet.

The Sony settings out the box are crap, so you must have a play.

I won't post my settings as I have been fluffing so much, I have actually gone backwards a bit.

But I liked "Custom" with "Warm 2", lower the sharpness, the colour and the brightness.

Backlight of 4.

The Motionflow should be Standard or High (not low).

All the Noise Reduction ones are at off, but I am not sure what they are, so that's why I am still fluffing.

The picture has been stunning, and way better than anything I saw in a showroom an on a Sammy. My humble opinion only :)

Ive been far from impressed with the quality of SD on the tv, but One HD and PS3 are simply stunning..really hanging out for footy season next year to test it out with the HD and 200hz. My settings are as follows...I tuned it using ch7 HD news. I think Ive got it the best I can, still not too happy with how TV graphics appear though (subtitles, splash screens etc) as they appear blurred, unlike how my PS3 graphics appear.

Motionflow - High

MPEG Noise Reduction - Medium

Backlight - 6

Picture - 84

Brightness - 48

Colour - 49

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 3

Noise Reduction - High

Cinema Drive - Off

Black Corrector - Low

Adv Contrast - Fff

Gamma +1

Clear White - Off

Colour Space - Standard (I found changing this back to standard made a huge improvement)

Articulating Wall Bracket for Z series 46"

I'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of a reasonably priced but good quality articulating wall bracket (I need to be able to angle the TV towards the kitchen) for the Sony 46Z5500. It's getting mounted onto a plasterboard wall.

Many thanks!

I need help with tv setting please!!! I have sony bravia Z4500 46" and connects to Foxtel IQ2 HD with HDMI, but it is too bright and glaring.

I have try this setup but it's still too bright on the background and face looks tanned! Before I had foxtel, it's fine but sine I had foxtel IQ2hd, I just dont know how to get the best setting, I had tried several hours but I had give up!!

Backlight: 6

Picture: 70

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 22

Color Temp: Cool

Cinema Drive: Auto 1

Standard Power: Standard

The rest of the features are turn OFF.

Please help!!!

Edited by foxtelhd

Turn your backlight down. I've got min set to around 2.

I did turn to min 2 but the picture look dull and dark.

But thanks for your advise, I did try diff settings, most of it I follow Vapour's list except Advance Cont: low

Color Temp: Cool, Noise Reduction: Off - so quite happy.

Cheers

Turn your backlight down. I've got min set to around 2.

Hi

I need your help. You are right, it's still too bright when I turn the backlight down to 5 so I turn to min 2.

But, Dreamcazman, what is your setting on Picture and Brightness? My tv is connect to IQ2 so I'm know the settings might be slightly difference when you actually watching FTA shows. But I need your advise because I am really tired of adjusting it.

Thanks mate.

Cheers

Hi

I need your help. You are right, it's still too bright when I turn the backlight down to 5 so I turn to min 2.

But, Dreamcazman, what is your setting on Picture and Brightness? My tv is connect to IQ2 so I'm know the settings might be slightly difference when you actually watching FTA shows. But I need your advise because I am really tired of adjusting it.

Thanks mate.

Cheers

Anybody?

Hi

Thanks mate.

Cheers

I haven't gotten around to properly calibrating my set yet but at the moment it looks alright with these settings:

Picture - 60

Brightness - 50

Colour - 60

I haven't gotten around to properly calibrating my set yet but at the moment it looks alright with these settings:

Picture - 60

Brightness - 50

Colour - 60

Thank you so much, mate, you have save me from a lot of headache!

Cheers

On my KDL46Z5500, there were about 1cm thick vertical shade from top to bottom on both panel edges.

They are more obvious with plain colour screens (like white or grey).

Is this normal? I went to have a look at a KDL40Z5500 in store yesterday and same thing happen.

Bravia Z series owners, could you please help me and check if that happen to your set?

Ive been far from impressed with the quality of SD on the tv, but One HD and PS3 are simply stunning..really hanging out for footy season next year to test it out with the HD and 200hz. My settings are as follows...I tuned it using ch7 HD news. I think Ive got it the best I can, still not too happy with how TV graphics appear though (subtitles, splash screens etc) as they appear blurred, unlike how my PS3 graphics appear.

Motionflow - High

MPEG Noise Reduction - Medium

Backlight - 6

Picture - 84

Brightness - 48

Colour - 49

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 3

Noise Reduction - High

Cinema Drive - Off

Black Corrector - Low

Adv Contrast - Fff

Gamma +1

Clear White - Off

Colour Space - Standard (I found changing this back to standard made a huge improvement)

Just as a follow up Ive since turned MPEG Noise reduction off, and noise reduction to low.

What have people being paying for the 52in KDL-52Z5500?

Was thinking to pick one of these up as it is about as much as I want to pay for a tv.

Good Guys in my area had $3600 on it today but should be able to get it cheaper than that.

What have people being paying for the 52in KDL-52Z5500?

I got mine for $3280 from JB Hifi a few weeks ago during their 10% off sale. Actually I originally paid $3850 a week before, then the price came down and they gave me a credit for the difference. Isn't that nice of them. ^_^

I've heard some people have even been getting around the low 3k mark from various places.

I got mine for $3280 from JB Hifi a few weeks ago during their 10% off sale. Actually I originally paid $3850 a week before, then the price came down and they gave me a credit for the difference. Isn't that nice of them. ^_^

I've heard some people have even been getting around the low 3k mark from various places.

If you push hard you should get it for $3000. Good Guys and Bing Lee push them! Great TV.

You guys are better off than me as I got my tv in March for older model 46z4500 for $3,700/ plus 3 years warranty from Harvey Norman.

I just wondering is any difference between the two? I didn't know that they will release a newer model as Z4500 are only at the market for a few months or I will have waited and get a bigger size of 52".

Cheers