Sign in to follow this  
OzyDave

Mystar Hd - Issues And Comments

Welcome to the exclusive club optima!

Indeed.

I read somewhere that happy problem free Mystar owners have regular monthly meetings, but can't recall where, but will find out and later post the phone box's location. :-)

Not true. I have a cheap HDMI cable (came with a previous purchase) that will not carry a 1080p signal, but down to 1080i it works adequately.

The performance of a HDMI cable is dictated by its ability to pass the required bandwidth.

how old is this cable?

I know a little while ago they did release a new spec cable, 1.3b or whatever it is and from others i've heard an improvement (not massive, just better colours and clarity). That being said, as long as it is to standard (be it the newer 1.3 version or the 1.1) it should not matter as to what price you pay as in the end you're going to get the same thing, which is why i say to people, if you're spending anymore than $50 on a HDMI cable, you are being ripped off, though really, at most you should only pay $35-$40 unless you're getting a longer cable cause then you're just paying for the name.

So will I require a visit from the tech if I am already a MyStar customer? Or is it a simple case of user swap the boxes out?

how old is this cable?

I know a little while ago they did release a new spec cable, 1.3b or whatever it is and from others i've heard an improvement (not massive, just better colours and clarity). That being said, as long as it is to standard (be it the newer 1.3 version or the 1.1) it should not matter as to what price you pay as in the end you're going to get the same thing, which is why i say to people, if you're spending anymore than $50 on a HDMI cable, you are being ripped off, though really, at most you should only pay $35-$40 unless you're getting a longer cable cause then you're just paying for the name.

The cable is not that old less than 18 months (so should be 1.3 or 1.3a) and it will not do 1080p, just red & green dots and lots of them, change it to 1080i and adequate, though no where near as good as better cable.

There is an issue with bandwidth, but I do agree in that many people pay too much for HDMI cables (just gravy for the JB & HN et al stores). Hence the reason why I use and recommend EZYHD cables. Not expensive and they do the job well.

Whilst I agree in theory that all HDMI cables should be fairly similar, they just aren't. If you find someone who can deliver a quality product at competitive price, as I and many others here have, stick to them. ;)

There is the option to do self install, as it will come with the required cables.

Okay then, can someone please justify the $100 "set-up" fee that they are charging if I can swap it out myself?

I do think they need a new interface because on the new mystar hd it is quite blocky in the text and on screen functions.

There is the option to do self install, as it will come with the required cables.

when i rang and told em i wanna get My star HD and he said it will be shipped out forgot what date he said it will come he said best to swap it over your self rather then pay for the tech to come out its like $50 + for the tech

would save money if ya can do it ya self and send the other one back .

The cable is not that old less than 18 months (so should be 1.3 or 1.3a) and it will not do 1080p, just red & green dots and lots of them, change it to 1080i and adequate, though no where near as good as better cable.

Sounds more like a dodgy cable, though go 720p if you can't do 1080p, as 720p is better (Progressive > interlaced)

Sounds more like a dodgy cable, though go 720p if you can't do 1080p, as 720p is better (Progressive > interlaced)

Mate spend the money on a good HDMI cable, i have for all my gear but one day i needed one as i forgot to get one when i got everything to build my HTPC so the only place that was open was WOW, and the only HDMI cable that was in stock was a cheap $19 one ...so i grabbed it plugged it in turned it all on and i had red and green lines running down the screen, (thinking i f%$ked something up or some drivers may have been missing) the motherboard has a S-Video out, so i tried that and it worked fine, so i set everything up and again i tried the cheap HDMI cable and got the same thing, so i took my $175 cable from the Theatre and tried that and the Pic was perfect....went out the next day and took that cheap crap one back and picked up a good one from Jaycar for about $40 and it worked great.

A quick google search shows that high priced cables are a waste of money check cnets reviews.As they say its a digital signal so unless you have a long run

5 mtrs + don't buy expensive cable.

Mate spend the money on a good HDMI cable,

Well i try to buy brands i know, lessen the chance of a dodgy cable, though i'm not going to spend $50-$100 on one. When my mum got her LCD TV, ended up getting her a $25 HDMI cable from Big W, works fine on the upscaling dvd player (shame that it does 1080i, be good if i could set the player to 720p instead) and when i brought over my 360 it worked perfect over 1080p

the only HDMI cable that was in stock was a cheap $19 one ...so i grabbed it plugged it in turned it all on and i had red and green lines running down the screen, (thinking i f%$ked something up or some drivers may have been missing) the motherboard has a S-Video out, so i tried that and it worked fine,

I'd put it down to a dodgy cable, there's no saying that spending $40 or more on one will guarantee you of one that will be perfect either.

so i set everything up and again i tried the cheap HDMI cable and got the same thing, so i took my $175 cable from the Theatre and tried that and the Pic was perfect....went out the next day and took that cheap crap one back and picked up a good one from Jaycar for about $40 and it worked great.

$175? Let me guess, it was a Monster brand?

$40 is pretty manageable still but getting a bit high, though one would be forgiven if they were the latest spec ones they seem to be about double of the regular one, as mentioned previous when buying mum one for $25 there was the 1.3a or whatever spec ones and they were about $20 more

Quick off the mark OzyDave....

You ordered yet?

Yes, I have ordered one. It is coming in the post for self install. My main reason to upgrade is to be able to be rid of the MyStar. If it actually belonged to me, it would have been thrown out the window a long time ago. The last 3 weeks I have been resetting the box probably twice a day.

I do think they need a new interface because on the new mystar hd it is quite blocky in the text and on screen functions.

Could you enlarge on this please? Does the interface work the same way as old Mystar? For example, how many key presses to does it take to play back a recorded item? Also, is the remote the same as for the old Mystar? I am hoping not, since my MX500 learning remote could not learn the commands from the old Mystar remote.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Yes, I have ordered one. It is coming in the post for self install. My main reason to upgrade is to be able to be rid of the MyStar. If it actually belonged to me, it would have been thrown out the window a long time ago. The last 3 weeks I have been resetting the box probably twice a day.

Ouch, twice a day.....

Lets hope this one is better, or at least you get one of the better ones ;)