Mystar - Issues And Comments

Austar have added a new search string feature via the program guide page (yellow button to access) which is actually quite useful.

It's still not without its issues, but my box seems to be much more responsive to remote commands since the latest upgrade. Interested to hear thoughts from others here.

Dave.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bug with MyStar HD. I create a folder to store my recorded programmes, and I give it a folder name of consisting of 8 characters (the maximum). If I subsequently try to edit / change that folder name, I am unable to as when you select the edit option, you are told the folder name is already at the maximum of 8 characters. You are unable to delete any characters.

Rang Austar and complained about the little black line left behind after the info bar comes up on Mystar HD. The tech said this is the first they have heard of it which sounds strange to me.

So everyone thats getthing this problem, ring Austar and tell them about it so they get off their ass's and fix it!!

Zoidy, Friends of mine have the same trouble. They have a new 55" LG LCD tv. What have you got ? Thought it could be tv trouble initially but could be wrong.

Well I too have the black line and is definitely not TV as it appears simultaneously on a rear pro and Plasma. Probably only thing that will get austar off its bum to do anything about it is the threats from people with ruined plasmas.

Zoidy, Friends of mine have the same trouble. They have a new 55" LG LCD tv. What have you got ? Thought it could be tv trouble initially but could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got my HD box reconnected on wednesday after moving house back in early november and it wont go into TV Guide or Planner, just goes straight back to whatever i'm watching. After calling austar and going up to level 2 tech in the end they're having to send out a replacement box as apparently even a reformat wont fix the issue as whenever they send a signal to update the loader, which is the cause of the issue in the first place, it just gets a black screen and i have to power it off at the wall =/

Boourns to lost recordings. Oh well, i guess i'll use my internets to get what I wanted to watch, most of which was just WWE stuff anyway.

Most times this week during the Australian Open tennis when I pressed the red button to go other matches, my box just re-booted. :rolleyes:

This happens to my unit most times when trying to watch the Premier League when they have multiple games showing. Hit the red button and the box reboots. Seems OK after that though (until the next week).

• 3 weeks later...

After having Mystar HD for approx 3 months it has only had a few issues. It has done the following -

TV goes black and comes up with something saying about the connection or something, I then reboot Austar Mystar HD Box and it comes good again.

Austar Mystar HD turned on and everything was in SD even the HD Channels, my TV said it was displayed at 576i, rebooted and got it all back to normal.

Anyone else had these 2 issues?

I don't have a mystar but I know someone that does and yes, they have had the problem. In fact, it happened while I was at their house. The Mystar is connected to the TV via HDMI. Power cycling the TV makes no difference, only way to get picture back is to power cycle the mystar.

• 2 weeks later...
So what does everyone think of MYSTAR now you have it.

I think it is great, probably because it's the first PVR I have ever owned, apart from a PC with digital TV tuner.

I have had issues with the EPG not loading,

for some reason the EPG is not loading past 11 AM.

I would like to know but as i live in an owner install area they will not send out a hd box. So im stuck with a crappy box I cant record on And a blurry picture to go with it.

They try to tell me that My samsung LCD tv is not compatible with their box AS MY tv tries to re converet the image and this is what is causing the blurry pic. Does this sound correct.

Pleaase Help with links to Blurry Pics on Austar As I seem to be having trouble finding the correct Posts.

Im new to blog sites so any help would be appreciated.

They try to tell me that My samsung LCD tv is not compatible with their box AS MY tv tries to re converet the image and this is what is causing the blurry pic. Does this sound correct.

Austar standard definition on a large TV is never going to look spectacular. Some of the channels such as Discovery are quite blurry.

Austar standard definition on a large TV is never going to look spectacular. Some of the channels such as Discovery are quite blurry.

Yes, Thanks for your reply. Is there anything I can do other than keep pressing them to send me The Mystar box. I cannot even read the small writing on shows that have captions and all my sport channels are unwatchable. Will My picture be better if I get A mystar HD box.. Not that I can, As I am in what they call an owner install area and will not send one out to me. I have found My time with austar stressful to say the least. My foctel was perfect in every way. I miss it

Are you connecting the STB to your TV with a composite lead or a s-video lead? s-video is the better way.

Hello Thanks again. No im not using s-video leads Just normal leads (yellow red white) I am heading for a trip to the nearest town to get some soon, Although Austar said this would not fix my problem. I will try them for sure though

Thanks for the help. Not sure what else I can try

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

My Austar HD Box keeps getting the error message E52-32 (Weather in your area etc) Now the weather is perfect and I know for a fact is has nothing to do with the weather as this message comes up every single time I change to a different input on my TV. Example - Input HDMI 2 Austar, if I keep it on this, there is no issue at all. dont get any issues. But when I swap to Input DVD Player to watch a dvd, every single time I do this and once I have finished watching the DVD, I switch back to Input HDMI 2 Austar I get error message E52-32 EVERY TIME. It will not got away, I turn power off and reboot box, its still there. I finally get it back and working if I turn power off for 5min then back on.

I have no idea why its doing this and rather then call Austar and get someone with no clue I thought I would post here just to see if anyone else has had this issue and what I should do.

Thanks in advance!

Guest zedder

Before I battle the phone queue and get a technician over, I thought maybe there could be an easy answer to my problem. There is no picture on any channel, satellite or terrestrial, but if I pause the picture for a few seconds then have it play the delayed broadcast the channel is displayed. All recoreded programs play OK. There is also a picture when I display channel reception info in the setup - decoder section. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Who's having issues with the Mystar and its remote? Ours takes ages to respond to remote commands. For example I may be fast forwarding through the ads, or even rewinding to go back to look at something. It's on 30x, I press Play and nothing happens. I may overshoot by a minute or two, then have to FF back to where I want to watch. Even then, at say, 6x, it may not respond.

I've replaced the batteries in the remote - now that was a task, trying to work out how to remove the cover without wrecking the remote...

Also, we seem to get a large number of failed recordings. Reason "power failure". Who's seeing this?

We had/have those problems mjt, we found if we dumped most of the recordings off the drive and got it lower than "60% used" the "power failure" errors stopped completely. But the response to the remote when ff/rw still happens and is a proverbial pita. One thing that really bugs me is sometime if I pause "live tv" it will shoot back 60 minutes! This bug happens often, and Austar's "fix" every time I ring them to complain about it is to power cycle the machine <_< which does absolutely nothing to address the problem!

The buffer for these is 60 mins so if you have been on the same channel for that long or longer when you pause it and restart it will have gone back to the beggining of the buffer zone.If this happens and you have not changed channel

press stop then rewind back to where you paused.My wife put me onto this and she is not technically minded.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies Jason and Nutmeg.

I too am seeing that buffer problem. Yes, a real PITA.

The other night, frustrated with the remote control problem I decided to change the batteries. However, I can't get the cover off without forcing it with a screw driver or something.

Sheepishly I called Austar's helpdesk and went through it with the woman. Unfortunately, despite following her instructions the cover remains firmly attached. Something inside must be jamming it.

I also explained the problem with the remote. So, Austar is sending me a new remote (I can keep or discard the old one). When it arrives I'll see if the remote problems still exist. If so I'll formally write to Austar with a list of the problems for it to address.

When we're paying a premium for the Mystar HD surely it's reasonable to expect that it functions faultlessly? I have no issues with my other gear, so why should this be any different?